54 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get the Barter wallet

• Yes - With my free VIP/lifer points
    • Yes - With ingame earn points
    • Yes - Bought points to get it
    • Not yet but planning to
    • No - Are you mad
    • no, but i am on the fence about getting it in the future

Thats your experience. I have multiple capped toons that I use to raid with, up to 5 at one point. I don't know for sure, but it seems you have one main. I don't, my main is whichever toon I happen to be on at the time. Keeping them all in top tier relics is a time consuming grind for me. One that I refuse to do.

I raid with 4 toons since RoI, 2 of which I hadn't raided with since Moria. I wanted to dust them off. They needed some work, that's an understatement. Now they're both decked out with 7 2nd Age LI's between them, 3 full level 75 teal barter sets between them, all kinds of rare jewelry drops, the exact relics I want in all 7 LIs and up until U6, capped relevant Virtues. And I have mats in the bank to deck out at least a 5th with teal armor, 2nd Ages, and any teal jewelry I wish to make them. That doesn't include my other 2 who are even more set with 1st Ages, some good instance drops, etc. I have at least 15 T7 relics, about the same T6's and several stacks of 4's and 5's. I have well over 7 million IXP and 1000+ gold in the bank. I play about 2-3 hrs most nights unless raiding, then it's 4 or 5.

Not bragging at all, but offering perspective to "the grind".

The lack of grind in ToR is what makes it head and shoulders above LOTRO for me

Funny how perspectives differ. I heard a few of my friends tell me about the TOR endgame and the gear grind they relayed to me is why I put it down right there. Aside from my perception that it's a really simple game with very basic mechanics that don't appeal to me personally. I have some friends that seem to like it, though.

In all fairness, the class stories are pretty excellent from what I saw.

I raid with 4 toons since RoI, 2 of which I hadn't raided with since Moria. I wanted to dust them off. They needed some work, that's an understatement. Now they're both decked out with 7 2nd Age LI's between them, 3 full level 75 teal barter sets between them, all kinds of rare jewelry drops, the exact relics I want in all 7 LIs and up until U6, capped relevant Virtues. And I have mats in the bank to deck out at least a 5th with teal armor, 2nd Ages, and any teal jewelry I wish to make them. That doesn't include my other 2 who are even more set with 1st Ages, some good instance drops, etc. I have at least 15 T7 relics, about the same T6's and several stacks of 4's and 5's. I have well over 7 million IXP and 1000+ gold in the bank. I play about 2-3 hrs most nights unless raiding, then it's 4 or 5.

Not bragging at all, but offering perspective to "the grind".

I raided with at least 3 since The Watcher, in 2 separate raid groups during DN, leading one at times. Needless to say I raided a LOT!!!

Funny how perspectives differ. I heard a few of my friends tell me about the TOR endgame and the gear grind they relayed to me is why I put it down right there. Aside from my perception that it's a really simple game with very basic mechanics that don't appeal to me personally. I have some friends that seem to like it, though.

In all fairness, the class stories are pretty excellent from what I saw.

Did they raid in LOTRO? I can't for the life of me understand why they think ToR's endgame is a grind. I had most of my Columi (sic) 2nd tier raiding set in 2 Eternity Vault, non-HM runs. Maybe I was just extremely lucky.

The other thing I like about ToR's armour is that its modable. I can get 2 pieces of the PvP tank set for the set bonus and swap out the tank mods for DPS mods. In LOTRO you are locked into soso gear just for a set bonus.

One thing that really pisses me off in LOTRO is the fact that on the whole, with few exceptions, the armour is fugly. In ToR and especially in Rift even crap gear looks awesome. And don't even get me started on the cosmetics for LI's.

The wallet came out after f2p was introduced IIRC. What are the odds they had this planned all along, just wanted to build up a need for the wallet to work properly by introducing all those damned barter items, then a quick flip to going store only once people get 'addicted' to using it. Isn't that what pushers do? First couple hits are free, then once you get hooked, it's time to pay? If memory serves, they added items to the wallet at least twice, just so we could see how nice it was to free up a ton of space. Then they pulled this crap.

The more I think about it, the more it seems they intended to jerk us around from the very start. The closure of that thread on the official forums that suggested that very thing makes it highly probable they intended this all along, prior to even creating the wallet. I'd love to see some internal email on this. Bet it would be quite the eye opener, and a good way to make you puke.

The wallet came out after f2p was introduced IIRC.

It did.

F2P was March 2010, Wallet came Nov 2010.

I'm sure they explored the marketing potential infinitely.

That's my real problem with the Store.... in order to keep it viable, they're going to have to put more and more questionable things there. All the trivial (convenience) stuff is already in, so they're just going to end up crossing more and more people's tolerance thresholds in the future - however long that may be. It's obviously already crossed a lot of people's.

Gotta admit, I'm sure they made bank on the Premo Wallet, though. No doubt.

With that, expect more of the same.

this barter wallet thing is a sign of the future.

if we want existing 'features' fixed/updated/expanded the only way Turbine will be able to budget for it is to sell the fixed/updated/expanded 'feature' via the store.

they only seem to have the budget/manpower to work on adding new content.

i dont like it and most likely will NOT purchase most if not all of these upcoming fixes/updates to existing 'features'.

it is unfortunate but this is the way it is as i see things.

BTW, giving the barter wallet to VIPs while they are VIP and then dropping it when they go Premium would be very difficult. The problem is that when storage of any kind of being taken away the items have to go somewhere. That is nasty code to write and bad things happen when you get it wrong. The extra shared storage, wardrobe etc is solved by simply letting you keep the extra slots until you empty them but for the barter wallet that would be more difficult since the whole storage class would go away.

I would much have preferred that Turbine simply charges for an extra bag. But whoever is making the decisions over there is simply not taking into account whether a given thing pisses off the players or not. They don't care. And Fernando Paiz' speed made it clear why not.

this barter wallet thing is a sign of the future.

if we want existing 'features' fixed/updated/expanded the only way Turbine will be able to budget for it is to sell the fixed/updated/expanded 'feature' via the store.

they only seem to have the budget/manpower to work on adding new content.

i dont like it and most likely will NOT purchase most if not all of these upcoming fixes/updates to existing 'features'.

it is unfortunate but this is the way it is as i see things.

It's sad to note, but it seems that the players have inadvertently given free license to Turbine to do similar things in future. For example, if they do put in a housing fix that is viable and put a TP price on the "upgrade", players will buy it. Having been starved for so long in that regard, they will simply say it's easier than trying to fight with Turbine over the wrongness of charging for the fix.

<sigh> People had more integrity once.

So I got it and I think it stinks.

All these rep faction items are still outside the wallet. All the Rivendell and Council of the North and Forochel rep items stay items, within their stacking limit. I bought this wallet thinking they would go into that bloody thing I just payed $20 real-world money for (yes that's what it costs if you don't buy large points packages). I am pissed.

The "random rep" situation has improved since you no longer have a visit a NPC to convert item to rep. That means you can just transfer them from a character that has been question in an area to a different one that should have that area's reputation. But that doesn't save me here since my LOTRO is in such disarray that I have no idea how much and which characters I'm gonna play in the future.

Fucking joke...

PS. if somebody has a link to official documentation that would have made me able to predict the above I would be thankful.

Not to defend Turbine (but keep your cudgel handy anyway, Raed, in case I fail), but it wouldn't make sense to put rep items in the barter wallet as it is designed. The reason for this is because rep items are right-clickable items, and nothing in the barter wallet is right-clickable. With the barter NPC's gone the way of the dodo, using them like a consummable item is the only way they'll work.

The rep items are usually tradeable with other players.. wouldn't go very well if they're all locked inside your barter wallet. Now the guild things I'd not mind being in there. They should keep the NPC barterable with those.

Not to defend Turbine (but keep your cudgel handy anyway, Raed, in case I fail), but it wouldn't make sense to put rep items in the barter wallet as it is designed. The reason for this is because rep items are right-clickable items, and nothing in the barter wallet is right-clickable. With the barter NPC's gone the way of the dodo, using them like a consummable item is the only way they'll work.

Well until yesterday I didn't know that the rep NPCs had disappeared and the items can now be "turned" in on the fly.

I suppose I could just make a best guess at what characters I might keep and just dump all the rep on them accordingly. Who knows whether I play long at all and if I do I sure won't do rep grinds.

Still irks me. It's a currency. It shouldn't take up bag space, and I just payed $20 for currencies not to take up bag space. I very rarely group now so who knows how much other demand I have in the future. Bleh. Did I mention I'm pissed?

That wouldn't work with the current design either, since they are right-clickable.

That's why I said that the NPCs to barter those with should stick around. ;) I'm sure they could've made a little exception for those guild thingies. It'd save a lot more bagspace overall since the crafters do keep those around.

• 5 weeks later...

There's another thing that isn't that great about this wallet.

I used to be able to slot things like coins in skill slots. That way I can see how many I have. Let's say I need 20 race tokens then I can instantly see where I am. Now that my tokens are in the wallet that isn't possible anymore.

By the direction the game has taken since going F2P, I think Turbine discovered something - that most new players aren't paying very much cash, they tend to be try and flyers, going from one free MMO to the next and not spending any real cash, or very little at the least. So then, to justify the work going to F2P, it becomes about milking the existing customer base for as much cash as you can get for them.

Turbine has taken milking their existing customer base to the extreme. The 500TP stipend is just so they can say you get it free, which is anything but the case. They have literally turned to selling basic game functionality as a means to supplement the income now. What's next? Limiting the minutes you log on a day under the subscription but increasing it if you buy more with TP? Doesn't sound too far fetched when you consider what they did with skirmish soliders on the landscape.

As for the earlier comments about so many Turbine bashers on here. I, like many others, found these forums after Turbine began its relentless pursuit of banning all dissenters from their boards. Whether you want to admit it or not, 90% of this dissent has been brought on by Turbine's own stupidity. I have never in my life seen a company treat their customer base with such contempt. Luckily, Turbine isn't bigger or they definately would have stolen the wonderful title that EA recently garnered amazingly for the same thing - nickel and diming their customer base to the point of abuse. Now EA is feeling the effects of this in a big way; every big game title in the last twelve months has fallen far short of expectations. Customers have had it with EA in general and the same is happening to Turbine.

Defend or bash Turbine all you want, I could care less. As a previous avid supporter of Turbine who had enough of being used as a wet doormat they no longer have my cash, support or even have me as a customer. My guild of more than 80 strong now has completely left LOTRO and we are together on another title with a guild over more than 120 strong. So, Turbine can keep their brilliant short-term business focus going, because it is having a major effect on their long term.