LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Spidey

A question to those that still raid in LOTRO

Out of idle curiosity, when exactly did Gilrain have a community? Was there a town hall and did they regularly have meetings?

Bingo.

How did you guess?

Perhaps have pictures to prove. EM freep/creep peaceful meetings (server crashed of course), "Swim across to Mirkwood pre-launch", (server crashed of course), inter-kin official sparring tournaments, etc, etc..)

Long time ago, in a gal... Ooops... Wrong tale.

That for me was the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. I still have the screen captures.

Yes, was great. However, the more popular the event, the greater the probability of server crashes, so we went into less conspicuous activities. The fact that the Gilrain semi-PUG had world firsts is irrelevant (though I feel a strange need to brag in the context of this thread OP ;) ). The main thing was that anyone on Gilrain (with semi-decent behavior and abilities) could have had access to top end raiding content. Then it evolved into a kind of kinship, and, well .. you know...

Also the regular “community leaders” (sic) meetings on a special private forum quickly degenerated into server-politics (Jesus !!!), personal hatred, and detailed information on who were the “rude”, “offending” players… Server police and politics are not really my cup of tea so I left, but when you spoke about town hall meetings – you were much closer to the truth than you realized.

It’s all gone of course – people don’t care much, and possibly rightly so.

Hey spidey - when you are next having a parade? Let me know and I'll come rain on it

I love rain and dislike pardes, so feel free :P

Getting back to the rather more interesting discussion about Orthanc...

This is definitely the hardest raiding sequence in the game. I don't particularly mind that, as it makes for an interesting challenge, and it's inevitably one that will only be met by a handful of kinships. The main problem to my mind is that it's extremely unbalanced. Firstly, the gap between T1 and T2, and T2 and Challenge mode, is wildly disproportionate; I don't think making T2 more than twice as hard as T1 (in some cases) was a good design decision, as it definitely tends to discourage players. Secondly, and perhaps more seriously, the different wings are also badly unbalanced, with some being very much harder than others. Furthermore, the fact that several months after the raid was released, Saruman T2C and Fire & Frost T2C have still not been cracked on any server, is nothing for the designers to be proud of. And as many people have noted, F&F in challenge mode is effectively impossible: it requires maximised DPS, maximised healing and maximised mitigations, all at the same time, which is clearly impossible.

At the moment, my kinship runs weekly T1 raids, largely farming Saruman for the clasp, and bi-weekly T2 raids, painfully trying to make our way through the series (one down, one half-way there...). Not brilliant, but not too bad for a non-hardcore kin faced with a diabolically difficult and still only half-baked challenge.

But the rewards at those levels are where they can claim that store items are available as drops in game. Just because it's nigh impossible to get them doesn't invalidate that. It just makes the punchline really hard to swallow.

I find it great. T1 is already what most kinships will think of quite hard. T2 is a great step forward - even managing to just kill the trash. And challenge mode is even more difficult.

Saruman and Fire&Frost are too hard - this the devs stated and that will be reduced in the update (but yes - months after release only...).

Our kinship finally managed to do all four bosses on T2 (only the lighning one with challenge mode). The loot is laughable (except for the first ager) but it is so much fun to try over and over to get a good strategy and defeat them. This is way better than the "raids" like Draigoch just for the fun - and not (so much) for the loot.

@Jackalop: what rewards are you talking about? I know of none that you can get from orthanc raid as well as from the store.

The thing that confuses me is that Turbine makes huge strides in making raids more accessible to everyone with highly rewarding, pug-friendly T1 content, but then lets the raids rot with bugs and balance issues.

Draigoch is the easiest raid since Turtle - massive bugging out issues that are still not resolved.

T1 Orthanc is a faceroll except for Saruman, but well known exploits stay active for months and the door to the tower disappears for a week and half. It now sounds like the T2 balancing issues won't be addressed until update 7; so 6 months of impossible content. They clearly don't care about raiding. Or PVP. Or crafting. Or housing. Or...

I do have to give them credit for toning down the Acid trash, but in my opinion they went a bit too far. At least 1 kin on Brandywine couldn't beat the trash without exploiting and when Turbine finally removed the exploit the trash was nerfed to the point that it's no challenge at all. It annoys me that I didn't get to mock their failure and ineptitude (I can't stand exploiters in case you couldn't tell).

Orthanc T2 is a lot of fun. The Shadow Challenge fight is my favorite fight in the game. Acid boss is a lot of fun too. Lightning is really easy, buy they like to have 1 easy fight for each multi-boss raid.

Fire & Frost fight difficulty makes no sense at all. It shares a loot table with Lightning & Acid but is at least twice as hard. I normally don't like to see fights nerfed, but this one needs a nerf carpet-bombing campaign.

Shadow is balanced just about perfectly. It's a clear step up from Acid and has its own loot table (which is supposed to be better but is actually worse, but that's Rockx's fault, not JWB's).

Saruman is just stupid. I like the setting on the top of the tower of Orthanc, but the entire fight fails. It lulls you to sleep for 15 minutes and then explodes into an impossible fight. 15 minutes of boring trash for each 30 second attempt is not fun, nobody wants to waste their time like that. The Challenge mode of no deaths is a serious mistake. There are several different ways that somebody can get 1-shot. Beating a fight or challenge should never be taken out of the players' control. The challenge might as well be to beat Saruman and then roll a big roulette wheel to see if you win or not. I'd like to see that entire fight scrapped and redone with a different concept than Saruman clones.

Now I recall actually highlighting a few issues regarding the latest raid only to receive hostile responses. I guess I'm someone that likes to raid but also thinks decent rewards are a nice reward for doing so. In Isengard Turbine went a little step above what I'd like to of seen in terms of accessability by having the armour set basically obtained by doing tier 1 and no tier 2 armour set as in previous XPac's. This dimminished the need to try to push yourselves further to beat tier 2. I also got info that some kinships had killed saruman in Tier 2 and it was only when I pugged Tier 1 I saw it was the fact there was an exploit that lets you nail him much sooner then 'wave 5'. What you cannot do is ask Turbine if this is legit or exploit (you receive infractions) suffice to say I rarely visit the forums anymore.

Orthanc's raid as a whole is much more interesting boss mechanics on tier 2 and you can see they are making or trying to make the effort in this area. The downside is effort vrs reward has plummited and still inherent bugs/exploits exist long after release.