LOTROCommunity
Spheric

Stop and Go Lag

I didn't find a thread on this. Is anyone else having a real problem recently with simultaneous (affecting everyone at the same time) green light, red light lag? There is a long thread about it on the official forums, but no response from Turbine.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?450209-Please-fix-the-lag

Thought I'd save my post to that thread here just in case:

It appears you folks may still be having a bit of trouble determining when "clear and open communication" would be helpful and appropriate. Just to let you know, in my humble opinion this might be one of those cases. Customers tend to go balistic a lot more often when their concerns appear to be ignored or placed on a back burner.

I realize there are some at your company that truly believe that we are in a situation where what the customer thinks about the company or how they feel about the product doesn't really matter all that much. They are probably right to a certain extent in that it probably doesn't cost too much in diminished revenue in the short term. Old customers get replaced by new. But, it seems obvious to me that as one's reputation continues to diminish, the ultimate outcome will always be less customers.

Clearly communicating with customers is often ranked as having a very high priority when it comes to success. I've never seen ignoring them ranked at all.

All of this is just a bit of unsolicited advice from basic Business 101. You probably know this already. So, take it or leave it as you see fit.

But, the truth is that stop and go lag has very recently become a very big problem for many of us. It takes a lot of the fun out of the game to be wiped while soloing a blue mob. You don't have to fix it in the next hour, but many of us would truly appreciate a bit of feedback and a few updates on our complaint. Treating us like mushrooms just ain't gettin' it.

IMHO

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?450209-Please-fix-the-lag&p=6072572#post6072572

I didn't find a thread on this. Is anyone else having a real problem recently with simultaneous (affecting everyone at the same time) green light, red light lag? There is a long thread about it on the official forums, but no response from Turbine.

http://forums.lotro....ase-fix-the-lag

Thought I'd save my post to that thread here just in case:

http://forums.lotro....572#post6072572

Ricky did mention that they know about the issue. Nothing more has been said from Turbine's end. On an possibly related note, GraalX2 had a cathartic moment on the Minstrel forums, where he admitted that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. If this is symptomatic of other portions of the code and the network, it may explain why things keep getting re-broken.

(link)

graalx2toomanycooks.jpg

Don't know whether there's a connection, but this thread has appeared...

Character Transfers on Hold until further notice

Not that I was planning to anyway...but I sure as hell wouldn't want to risk a high-level character transfer with all the weird bugs that "Update 666" has generated.

;)

On an possibly related note, GraalX2 had a cathartic moment on the Minstrel forums, where he admitted that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. If this is symptomatic of other portions of the code and the network, it may explain why things keep getting re-broken.

Wow! Clear and open communication. How refreshing. :D

I've been noticing that lag quite a bit lately. I just built a very decent computer and until the last patch the skill lag and rubber banding were just atrocious. That update did seem to fix that somewhat....still having a bit of skill lag...but I did notice when my daughter was playing on my laptop and I on my desktop, we noticed that lag spikes at exactly the same time. Her character is lower than 10, mine is 70. Very different parts of the world, lag spikes at the same instant.

I've long not understood why game developers don't hire a single person to continually go thru code and fix errors. They continue to add things they they 'think' will work, and even things that should work, but the only 'testing' is a few weeks on a test server. As a game grows, the number of testers most likely shrinks, as more code continues to get added. Whats so hard about hiring a single person to do nothing but go thru code from start to finish?

I'm in a snarky mood this evening.

I wonder how many players will recognize the guy in the .gif?

:D

Haha, LOVE IT! Now you know that people will be wracking their brains to come up with other good ones, I know I am! Gonna be a thread to watch, Thanks Tanith! Tried to +rep ya but I gotta spread some love. And I ain't feeling too much love over there on them forums so I'm handing the rep to you here *O*

That's very sweet of you. Oh, the love is still there, just buried under a ton of complaints, confusion, and Turbine's misguided notion that remaining silent on an issue will make it go away. I just find I get better results when I respond with humor. It's easier to consider another's differing point of view when one is smiling.

:)

My money is on a networking problem.

They are in Boston and they probably used the update downtime for networking changes.

My money is on a networking problem.

They are in Boston and they probably used the update downtime for networking changes.

Whats really odd is I've noticed that while I'm waiting for my skills to fire off after I've clicked on it, the mob are still able to attack and damage me. It's like the info coming at my pc is fine, only the info from me to their servers are messed up.

Whats really odd is I've noticed that while I'm waiting for my skills to fire off after I've clicked on it, the mob are still able to attack and damage me. It's like the info coming at my pc is fine, only the info from me to their servers are messed up.

As I said, Boston -> networking problem. Would explain the above nicely.

Ricky did mention that they know about the issue. Nothing more has been said from Turbine's end. On an possibly related note, GraalX2 had a cathartic moment on the Minstrel forums, where he admitted that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. If this is symptomatic of other portions of the code and the network, it may explain why things keep getting re-broken.

(link)

graalx2toomanycooks.jpg

It must be nice for Minstrels to have a dev that communicates with them.

The last time the Hunter dev said anything to the Hunters was so he could be snarky to them. And that was, what, four, five months ago?

The lag is getting os bad I am almost thinking about dumping LOTRO for good, I already cancelled my sub so I dont know what to do right now, I like the style of LOTRO, I love PVE with optional PVP. I hate open world PVP. Any game out there similar to LOTRO?? (Please dont mention WoW)

The lag is getting os bad I am almost thinking about dumping LOTRO for good, I already cancelled my sub so I dont know what to do right now, I like the style of LOTRO, I love PVE with optional PVP. I hate open world PVP. Any game out there similar to LOTRO?? (Please dont mention WoW)

SWTOR has optional PvP (on PvE servers)

Well, I would recommend GW2, but it's not out yet. ;)

I guess I've truly "arrived" now, this morning I've got -rep (not that I care much) and this remark:

"Trolling. Being rude and insulting. Making fun of others religious beliefs. Posting copyrighted material. Multiple violations of the Community Guidelines."

So...people apparently worship Johnny Carson's "Carnac" character...who knew?

I would report that -rep to give the mods a good laugh.

I'm assuming I got reported, though I have no PM's in my box. Thought I'd give Sapience and company a bit of time to get some coffee in their systems and see what if anything happens next. My purpose in starting that thread was to make the problem hard to ignore, and I certainly don't mind sacrificing some forum rep for that.

;)

I guess I've truly "arrived" now, this morning I've got -rep (not that I care much) and this remark:

"Trolling. Being rude and insulting. Making fun of others religious beliefs. Posting copyrighted material. Multiple violations of the Community Guidelines."

Yep welcome to the club of the brokenhearted. We are few but growing in numbers.

Rift on their RP-PvE and normal PvE servers are similar to LOTRO in regards to PvP. The one difference is that you can choose to flag for PvP in the open world, but that is entirely optional. I've seen people of the other faction (damn Guardians!) who flagged, and I just ride by and ignore them.

Wow, really? The Fanboy Brigade is really reaching for reasons to support their Negative Rep sprees.

Thread locked.

Basically Sapience said STFU and deal with it.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?450209-Please-fix-the-lag&p=6073950#post6073950

Thread locked.

Basically Sapience said STFU and deal with it.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?450209-Please-fix-the-lag&p=6073950#post6073950

"Nothing to see here, the lag you're experiencing is your own fault, move along, move along".

Brandywine still has horrible lag. When raiding it's not just 1 or 2 people, it's the entire raid that gets it at the same time; that's server lag. Stable horses still lag out too. It's better than when the update was first released but it's still bad.

But now if we complain about it Sap will simply delete the thread and ban us for posting on a closed subject.

He still spews out the lie (being well-practised at lying) that the lag problem is "complicated" and can occur anywhere between points A and B.

Even a child can see that, if multiple people - at multiple endpoints - are having the same problem with the same game, then it's the game. Once again, Turbine believes that the playerbase at large is stupid.

To those who have recently joined our forum community: Please do not be fooled. Turbine is lying to you.

Wowzers. Clear and open communication is obviously open to interpretation.

When every one of my kinmates - from Boston to New Zealand - is experiencing lag in different regions of the game at the exact same time, I'm sorry it is not indicative of servers that are "working as expected".

Something smells awful fishy about this.

"It's not you it's me" is a standard cliche. Over there, it's more like "it's not me it's you". Rewriting the book every day....in every way.

Have all the lag threads been closed now? Must be since he didn't bother pointing to a unified open thread. This game is broken worse now than possibly ever with all the things that dowgraded with U6. They obviously pushed a bunch of it out built right on top of vanilla RoI and they're not even acknowledging it or giving an ETA for fixes. Things fixed in patches after RoI launch rolled back to pre-patch.

Store works fine, I assume? _O-

A few years ago, just after release of Moria I believe, they also had a bad case of intermittent lag that they claimed was the users' fault. After a lot of research (and he actually delved deep into Wireshark for this) one guy posted his results and instructions for us how to show it on our computers as well. We all followed his instructions and it was damned clear that the lag was at Turbine's end. With this proof, they finally did something and it actually got solved as well. But it did take the players a lot of whining to convince Turbine that it was their fault. Was my first time that I boggled at Turbine's behaviour. Wouldn't be surprised if this is getting a repeat.