LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
cossieuk

Update 7: Developer Diary: Fornost

We need a really simple system:

... each auto-bestowed optional quest in Fornost will give Medallions.

Auto-bestowed optional quest in Great Barrow give?

"This current iteration is geared towards more manageably sized instance spaces that can be completed in 30-60 minutes of play, while the ancient “monsters of the deep” dungeons get less and less play."

Translation: The newer, younger players have short attention spans and can't handle full-sized instances.

whoot? developer stupid ideas....

A lvl 40 Instance is not really exciting!

4-6h raiding no Problem, but with 75 boring.

Solution: Scale(lvl30-75) and ID's(1-4), simple and cheap

"This current iteration is geared towards more manageably sized instance spaces that can be completed in 30-60 minutes of play, while the ancient “monsters of the deep” dungeons get less and less play."

Translation: The newer, younger players have short attention spans and can't handle full-sized instances.

It will suit me as I hardly ever have a whole evening free to play LOTRO. That's partly why I've only been inside Fornost a couple of times.

It will suit me as I hardly ever have a whole evening free to play LOTRO. That's partly why I've only been inside Fornost a couple of times.

I agree with Brrokk - for those of us with work/lives/outside interests shortened manageable instances are always welcome - I rarely get in an un-interrupted hour of play most of them time.

Long story short, LOTRO is now a casuals only game, hard core raiders go else where. No problem, thats what I have done.

I don't think that's a fair comment, Spidey. Not least because it has never been my impression that LotRO ever tried to cater for the hard core raiders, any more than it ever tried to cater for the PvPers. In fairness to Turbine, they've always tried to provide a very broad range of content for all players and adjustments such as the gems of inspiration that allow a solo player to complete some of the group content were a very good idea.

I disagree, I think a considerable amount of resources have always gone towards end game raiding, far more than to PvP. And to turbines credit they've done a damn good job at it, with a few hiccups in the Moria era. The Rift, Helegrod, DN, BG, and OD were all outstanding raids, mechanically.

Its just that there's in ordinate amount of people in LOTRO that think they should have all the shinys without working for them, hence the lean towards casuals.

Its just that there's in ordinate amount of people in LOTRO that think they should have all the shinys without working for them, hence the lean towards casuals.

I can see where they're coming from, though. Most don't play this as a second job so having to work isn't exactly what they'd prefer for a game in their down time. The only reason I'd want the rewards is to go do PvP. As I've always said: 'PvP begins where PvE ends'.

I can see where they're coming from, though. Most don't play this as a second job so having to work isn't exactly what they'd prefer for a game in their down time. The only reason I'd want the rewards is to go do PvP. As I've always said: 'PvP begins where PvE ends'.

I understand that, but let me put it this way. Lets say you're in a bowling league and you're there 4 nights a week to practice and at every match. Then there's a guy that shows up once a month when his wife lets him out with the boys. Should he recieve the same rewards that you do? Sure, he can bowl and have fun, but he shouldn't expect a trophy as the end of the season either.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been a considerable investment of resource, Spidey, but that doesn't necessarily equate to the game being geared toward hardcore end-game raiding, which was what I thought you were arguing.

I understand that, but let me put it this way. Lets say you're in a bowling league and you're there 4 nights a week to practice and at every match. Then there's a guy that shows up once a month when his wife lets him out with the boys. Should he recieve the same rewards that you do? Sure, he can bowl and have fun, but he shouldn't expect a trophy as the end of the season either.

Two problems with your analogy.

1. A bowling trophy does not equate to raid loot because you can't use a bowling trophy for something else, where as you can with raid loot. A trophy is a brag reward, that's it.

2. What if there's a team of four people and only one of them practices 4 nights a week? Should he be stopped from getting rewards because he can't find anyone else who will do what he would?

This is the reason I suggested that T2 be reduced in difficulty and a T3 be added. The T3 would have no different loot than T2, it would just be harder and reward more of the same loot that T2 gives. Maybe a brag title could be thrown in to it too.

Two problems with your analogy.

1. A bowling trophy does not equate to raid loot because you can't use a bowling trophy for something else, where as you can with raid loot. A trophy is a brag reward, that's it.

2. What if there's a team of four people and only one of them practices 4 nights a week? Should he be stopped from getting rewards because he can't find anyone else who will do what he would?

This is the reason I suggested that T2 be reduced in difficulty and a T3 be added. The T3 would have no different loot than T2, it would just be harder and reward more of the same loot that T2 gives. Maybe a brag title could be thrown in to it too.

Yeah, it wasn't a very good analogy. Thats actually what ToR does, story mode, hard mode, then nightmare mode. I don't want to exclude anyone from content, but hard core raiders should have something to show for their effort.

Indeed and it works very well in ToR, story mode is easy enough that even your most casual can do it if they can get a group, hard mode provides a decent level of challenge for regular raid groups and nightmare works for the more hardcore. 3 levels of difficulty appears to work a lot better than 2

Indeed and it works very well in ToR, story mode is easy enough that even your most casual can do it if they can get a group, hard mode provides a decent level of challenge for regular raid groups and nightmare works for the more hardcore. 3 levels of difficulty appears to work a lot better than 2

The big difference in ToR is there is a very clear loot progression path for PVE. Quest/Crafted ---> Story Mode (Columi) -----> Hard Mode (Rakata) ------> Nightmare Mode (Still Rakata but more of it). I've found the raiding in Tor to be much better than it ever was in LOTRO (other than maybe the rift), simply because progression seems to be done right, and there's clear incentives for everyone from casuals to the more hard-core to run the things. Story mode is also very accessible for casuals, so there's not huge barriers for people to try it like in other games. Having 3 (currently) level cap full raids to choose from for variety also helps.

Out of all the aspects of ToR, I personally believe that the raiding is one of the things they really got right.

The big difference in ToR is there is a very clear loot progression path for PVE. Quest/Crafted ---> Story Mode (Columi) -----> Hard Mode (Rakata) ------> Nightmare Mode (Still Rakata but more of it). I've found the raiding in Tor to be much better than it ever was in LOTRO (other than maybe the rift), simply because progression seems to be done right, and there's clear incentives for everyone from casuals to the more hard-core to run the things. Story mode is also very accessible for casuals, so there's not huge barriers for people to try it like in other games. Having 3 (currently) level cap full raids to choose from for variety also helps.

Out of all the aspects of ToR, I personally believe that the raiding is one of the things they really got right.

Wait, hold on. So there I've been suggesting a 3 tier system with the final tier having same rewards as 2nd tier, just more of it, and ToR has already has it?! I'm gonna have to go sit in a corner for a bit and ponder on how many other ideas I've had that aren't as original as assumed.

The only thing that bothers me about ToR raiding is that every boss has an enrage timer. Its like they took a shortcut and made every fight a DPS race. Don't get me wrong, some of the mechanics of the fights are really well thought out, but that just makes it more of a shortcut to making fights challenging because they definately have the creative talent.

The only real issue I have with ToR raiding is that once you are on to running nightmare modes you will pretty much already be fully geared in rakata gear from the hard modes, taking the loot incentive away a bit

The only real issue I have with ToR raiding is that once you are on to running nightmare modes you will pretty much already be fully geared in rakata gear from the hard modes, taking the loot incentive away a bit

True, but I think the Nightmare level is for the prestige (I think there are titles) more than anything else. Pretty much as Doro was postulating in his post up there. ;)

Personally, I think ToR raiding might be a tad on the easy side for the serious hard-core raiders, but for the semi-casual types like my guild/kin, it's been great. We've just managed to get Eternity Vault hard-mode down for the 2nd time and the progression has been very smooth and enjoyable.

I'm gonna have to go sit in a corner for a bit and ponder on how many other ideas I've had that aren't as original as assumed.

All of them! :P

Sorry, but you asked for that! ;)

All of them! :P

Sorry, but you asked for that! ;)

I once had an idea for a tire in which it wouldn't be supported by air in a tube, instead it would have plastic/rubber spokes inside the tire.

I went online and found out someone had already beaten me to it, though their design left the spokes exposed so it made loads of noise.

On the lighter side of things...

The short answer is "Yes".

And here is why. Just from what info you gave. Everyone is allowing him to be a part of the team. If he contributes anything to the team towards winning the trophy... Then yes he should expect a trophy at the end of the season.