LOTROCommunity

Riders of Rohan Pre-Order

Talisman

What I wanna know is if it is definitely only the few items under PRE-PURCHASE BONUSES on http://rohan.lotro.com/pre-order.html that are for pre-purchase only. If you can still get the other items after release, I'll keep an eye out for a 50% sale and get it all then.

I've saved some screenshots of the infamous posts by Sapience and Celestrata from last week. I also added one from last year (almost to the day) dealing with the same subject but RoI instead.

The mention of the cluster being free to players who have purchased Rohan was incorrect...

http://imgur.com/a/Gzc7v/all

These post will be deleted for clarity's sake.

I've saved some screenshots of the infamous posts by Sapience and Celestrata from last week. I also added one from last year (almost to the day) dealing with the same subject but RoI instead.

http://imgur.com/a/Gzc7v/all

I love it. One is Sap saying 'just because we haven't told you about it, doesn't mean it isn't in there' while the other is 'just because we have told you about it, doesn't mean it is in there'.

Another review of RoR from E3, http://www.gamezone.com/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-online/previews/e3-2012-lord-of-the-rings-online-riders-of-rohan.

Details were up in the air for how mounted group combat would be handled, but it is something Turbine is interested in pursuing.

So mounted combat is mainly for solo play

There are no instances or raids in the initial release of Riders of Rohan, but those will come out some time later. Instead, the top level loot is earned through rebuilding a part of one of that towns that has caught fire and burned to the ground. Through a series of daily quests, the player will rebuild homes for people in the town and be rewarded with great loot for being such a good Samaritan. This is the first time I've heard of an MMO expansion focusing on a solo experience, and it’s refreshing to see such a large shift in focus.

Sounds nice for solo players like me but groupers are getting stuffed again.

Another review of RoR from E3, http://www.gamezone.com/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-online/previews/e3-2012-lord-of-the-rings-online-riders-of-rohan.

So mounted combat is mainly for solo play

Sounds nice for solo players like me but groupers are getting stuffed again.

This trend of solo content in MMOs is all wrong. I think ArenaNet is getting it right with GW2. As their devs put it, "You're always in a group." Traditional MMOs aren't played solo because that's what the player actually want. They played solo because finding a group is too much trouble, sharing resource nodes are no fun, and grouping takes any challenge there had been out of the landscape. Put the massively back in MMO please.

Edit: Your link doesn't appear to be working for me. But I found the a working one.

http://www.gamezone.com/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-online/previews/e3-2012-lord-of-the-rings-online-riders-of-rohan

When you see the uproar die down the fact still remains we have no idea what we would get with this 'Instance Cluster' when it's released. How many 3 mans, 6 mans, 12 mans are included? will they be single boss lair Raids or seriously fun and challenging instances?

I think when the euphoria of 'winning' the battle against Turbine wears off people will still be left guessing what they are getting for their money, myself included...

I know I'm really not excited about rebuilding a Rohirrim camp and fishing, how that's end game content I still haven't figured out...

I'm hoping (and from what I understand) GW2 will be similar to Rift...whereby events happen all the time, and you can join others in the vicinity long enough to accomplish whatever goal, and then leave, or hang out together grouped for hours. I reeeeally liked that aspect of Rift. No getting a group together, no fighting over landscape mobs, everyone gets their own loot and it gets you in a group for group stuff and you can be back on your own in minutes IF you want. That is SUCH a unique and fun concept I thought.

I'm hoping (and from what I understand) GW2 will be similar to Rift...whereby events happen all the time, and you can join others in the vicinity long enough to accomplish whatever goal, and then leave, or hang out together grouped for hours. I reeeeally liked that aspect of Rift. No getting a group together, no fighting over landscape mobs, everyone gets their own loot and it gets you in a group for group stuff and you can be back on your own in minutes IF you want. That is SUCH a unique and fun concept I thought.

GW2 is definitely similar to Rift in those regards. The main differences being that GW2 replace questing with dynamic events where Rift only makes them an option. There's a lot more variety with GW2 dynamic events as there needs be. As for grouping, there is no public group option in GW2 but that's because everyone on the server is treated as being in the same group. Since there was no /say in BWE1 it was chaos things have improved and chat channels added. I still find though that the best option is to group up before heading if for nothing other reason than social chat (especially on Mumble.) I liked the dynamic events in Rift as well but I felt they were too repetitive and Trion didn't go far enough with them. GW2 looks like it going be the big game in the future but if Rift's expansion goes well they could be top contender once again.

I'm still not pre-ordering. If I get into beta, and it amazes me, I will(unlikely, I think).

I'm defo spending money on Rocksmith when it's out, I'm not resubbing in SWTOR, and I've got 2 lifetime accounts with LOTRO, with points. If I have to, I'll use points once it's fully available in the Store with points, not in bits like it will be at release, if it doesn't amaze me.(If I can be arsed logging back in, that is!)

http://www.gamezone.com/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-online/previews/e3-2012-lord-of-the-rings-online-riders-of-rohan

'Instead, the top level loot is earned through rebuilding a part of one of that towns that has caught fire and burned to the ground. Through a series of daily quests, the player will rebuild homes for people in the town and be rewarded with great loot for being such a good Samaritan.'

I was one of the vocal minority asking for a solo way to get good, end-game loot that was the same as raid loot. This was not particularly what I had in mind, specifically because I asked for it to be challenging, not just a series of repeating, grinding dailies. I suppose Turbine do struggle to grasp the finer details of balancing for every type of player.

Awesome. Hauling lumber and collecting rusty nails is now endgame content.

Nearly every MMO has "dailies" at level cap, as a timesink. I can't believe even Turbine are claiming this as something new or revolutionary. They really are deluded, so glad I don't play anymore. :*)

Nearly every MMO has "dailies" at level cap, as a timesink. I can't believe even Turbine are claiming this as something new or revolutionary. They really are deluded, so glad I don't play anymore. :*)

But now those dailies involve horses and fishing. That's cool right? Wait! Where are you guys going?

Remember the days of Moria when we got an expansion with tons of instances, multiple raids (eventually), multiple zones, couple new classes and a new legendary system?

Seems some people on the official forums don't, what with them trying to desperately justify RoR's cost. I miss Steefel... then again, he did also call SoM an expansion.

It seems like Turbine have some serious problems on their hands. As was mentioned earlier they forgot to renew asheronscall.com, the LotRO Store is apparently down unexpectedly, the referral page isn't working properly (infinite redirction loop), http://ridersofrohan.com/ redirects to lotro.com instead of the RoR preorder page, and this is all on top of any previously reoccurring issues. Did I miss anything?

Probably missed a lot but that will be stuff we can't see. In other news:

I think you're going to like Rohan. While hooking up the Epic quests, I've been really impressed by how different each town in Rohan feels from each other. It's really pretty astounding. The political landscape is also really interesting, with each main area in the kingdom having its own political situation and loyalties and problems. There's a lot here.

MoL

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?464257-I-hope-Rohan-is-going-to-be-huge&p=6235736#post6235736

Sounds like the devs have been playing Skyrim and/or watching Game of Thrones... could be good.

Through a series of daily quests, the player will rebuild homes for people in the town.

We have a similar scheme in my town, it's called 'community service'. Every weekend lots of offenders are forced to attend and carry out similar duties, and they don't have to pay to do it :P