LOTROCommunity

Riders of Rohan Pre-Order

Talisman

I don't want to steal any thunder from dev diaries and whatnot, so I'll just say that the Epic story takes you through or near ten or eleven different towns. I'm excited about the content, and can't wait for people to get their hands on it. It's Rohan! This is one of the places we on the dev team have been excited about doing for years and years.

MoL

I am genuinely getting excited now. A minimum of 10 towns? Here's hoping they're around the size of Stangard, then this expansion might really start heading in the right direction for me.

I am genuinely getting excited now. A minimum of 10 towns? Here's hoping they're around the size of Stangard, then this expansion might really start heading in the right direction for me.

Don't hold your breath. According to Lotro-wiki.com, RoI has 7 settlements and 5 camps, I'm not sure how those compare to towns. Also, incase you forgot, RoI came with 3 whole regions. Of course Rohan will be larger, but since we'll never be getting off our horses, it's not going to feel as large.

I just found out about this. 7(8)7

cloak-of-the-equine_full.jpg

Well, that about sums it up really.

I remember when LOTRO had appropriate aesthetics, designed by artists that had a clue. How did that get past the 'preliminary sketch' stage without the artist being laughed out of the building?

• Upvote 1

Don't hold your breath. According to Lotro-wiki.com, RoI has 7 settlements and 5 camps, I'm not sure how those compare to towns. Also, incase you forgot, RoI came with 3 whole regions. Of course Rohan will be larger, but since we'll never be getting off our horses, it's not going to feel as large.

Pfft, I have never counted RoI as 3 seperate regions. They're just one region with one map that is further split into 3. Even saying that, I worked out that RoR should be about 1.5 times the size of RoI in terms of landmass.

But the 7 settlements 5 camps bit is slightly concerning. I'm stupidly picturing something like Skyrim or Oblivion, with city states of different 'flavours'. No doubt I'll be disappointed.

Well, that about sums it up really.

I remember when LOTRO had appropriate aesthetics, designed by artists that had a clue. How did that get past the 'preliminary sketch' stage without the artist being laughed out of the building?

Well, it's got a Horse-Tail and tits. What else is needed?

a short review this one, although it does seem to indicate that RoR is more solo focused

I kind of stopped reading after the first sentence...

I don't know anything about Lord of the Rings. I watched The Fellowship of the Ring a year or two after it came out but retain none of the events. My knowledge of the films begins at "You shall not pass" and ends at Liv Tyler.

I kind of stopped reading after the first sentence...

I don't know anything about Lord of the Rings. I watched The Fellowship of the Ring a year or two after it came out but retain none of the events. My knowledge of the films begins at "You shall not pass" and ends at Liv Tyler.

I have to admit, I got quite a chuckle out of that. But the reporter did indeed seem to give an honest appraisal of the game from an outside point-of-view. Yes, I would suggest he read the books then come back and look at LOTRO again with more informed eyes, but - bless his heart - I just don't think he's much of a reader.

I'm just curious, when did reading the books become a requirement for playing LotRO? I thought that what everyone was complaining about, that this game isn't like the book.

Oh, it certainly isn't a requirement, but LOTRO is supposedly based on the books - not the movies. My point with what I said before was that the reporter seemed to think Turbine was closely following Tolkien's lore, and if he read the books, he would quickly realize that hasn't been the case since... 2008, I'm thinking.

Of course they're going to say that. That's how the license was drawn up. As they've stated though, they draw inspiration from ALL Tolkien's work, not just the one they have a license for, as well as the movies. And let's not forget how consistent Tolkien's work is, if Turbine wanted they could have given male elves the option to wear beards. The main reason the game and movies are different from the books is because they need to be. They're very different media and hold a person attention in very different ways. I'd go as far the Tolkien's work can't work in a game without major changes. They're were no minor characters in the fellowship for players to control. No bystanders to act as a vehicle for the player to witness what happened with most events. So we end up going tangentially related quests through areas Tolkien only mentioned in passing. It's either that or session play, so that the player can be there even if they can't justify the character being there. Turbine has to please both those who have read the books and those who haven't. I just don't think this is possible without breaking the lore.

A word of warning to any European players considering a pre-order, there seems to be a problem in the way Digital River is processing orders that can cause VAT to apply on to the final price twice. VAT is supposed to be included in the price. This has cause some people thing the price has been raised. If you are order from Europe you have 2 options: 1) make sure the form says "VAT included" before checking out, so that the base price is what you get. 2) Order everything in USD and let paypal handle the currency conversion since this is almost always cheaper.

I can't believe there are still people on the Turbine forums spouting the 'the expansion is NOT $70, it is $40' line. They seem to miss that for the entire expansion, which includes the horse line, you HAVE to buy the $70, or not have the full expansion. The basic version doesn't include the entire expansion. Even worse now that the tax things have gone wrong, what with the expansion now costing $80 instead of $70.

Till know that part is just a couple of repeatable quests, technically you are correct, but I don't think you miss anything

At the moment, yeah. Think someone mentioned it also involves a horse trait line and/or skills too.

I imagine that would also be avaliable in the store seperately at some point as well.

Well they have said that those things are Legendary exclusive. Unless they re-define exclusive, like so many other words they use, then it won't be available outside the $80 fee.

Well they have said that those things are Legendary exclusive. Unless they re-define exclusive, like so many other words they use, then it won't be available outside the $80 fee.

If that is the case then I can't see the "skill" being much more than an emote, I don't even think Turbine are stupid enough to make this a powerful skill ("LFM Mounted Combat group, must have Legendary Pack skill....")