LOTROCommunity

Riders of Rohan Pre-Order

Talisman

Yay, my first infractions!

Just got a reply from my appeal:

"Since your infractions were for trolling and/or provoking other users, the infractions will stay."

They didn't care bout my links to the FAQ or the posts that prove the dates I cited, or the fact that I got a perma-ban after two infractions (the TOS says ten). Apparently, as long as someone is offended by the facts, posting facts is now a ban-worthy offense.

Just got a reply from my appeal:

"Since your infractions were for trolling and/or provoking other users, the infractions will stay."

They didn't care bout my links to the FAQ or the posts that prove the dates I cited, or the fact that I got a perma-ban after two infractions (the TOS says ten). Apparently, as long as someone is offended by the facts, posting facts is now a ban-worthy offense.

It's not about being offended, it's about whatever the mods decide.

I got my moderation review for 'trolling' (odd that they said the same for you) when I was posting about RoR, yet none of what I had said was remotely trolling. Manshee- I mean, Celestrata, took whatever rule he liked and just used it as an excuse to effectively ban me. You can't win against them, since they will alter what the rules mean depending on mood. You can't appeal either because whatever they say goes, even if it is blatantly wrong.

You can't win against them, since they will alter what the rules mean depending on mood. You can't appeal either because whatever they say goes, even if it is blatantly wrong.

I wasn't really expecting any other outcome, I mainly wanted to see how they would defend it.

If anything, I'm surprised that I lasted this long. With 90% of my posts being anti-turbine in some way, I knew a ban was coming eventually, but I didn't expect them to be so transparent about it.

It's not about being offended, it's about whatever the mods decide.

I got my moderation review for 'trolling' (odd that they said the same for you) when I was posting about RoR, yet none of what I had said was remotely trolling. Manshee- I mean, Celestrata, took whatever rule he liked and just used it as an excuse to effectively ban me. You can't win against them, since they will alter what the rules mean depending on mood. You can't appeal either because whatever they say goes, even if it is blatantly wrong.

Well, on the other hand, Celestrata let a handful of my posts through moderation the other day. Sure, they dated from May to mid-June, and being at least several days out-of-date they were buried in mostly dead threads... but at least they went past Moderation. I'm still waiting to hear back from her regarding whether the Moderation will be removed, and more importantly, why I was moderated in the first place (having had no infractions or warnings), as I did everything they have asked in that regard. Somehow I doubt they will follow through on that, though, and only told me it might be removed so I would stop leaving messages at the bottom of each of my posts reminding the Moderators of my unjust trip to Forum Purgatory.

Well, on the other hand, Celestrata let a handful of my posts through moderation the other day. Sure, they dated from May to mid-June, and being at least several days out-of-date they were buried in mostly dead threads... but at least they went past Moderation. I'm still waiting to hear back from her regarding whether the Moderation will be removed, and more importantly, why I was moderated in the first place (having had no infractions or warnings), as I did everything they have asked in that regard. Somehow I doubt they will follow through on that, though, and only told me it might be removed so I would stop leaving messages at the bottom of each of my posts reminding the Moderators of my unjust trip to Forum Purgatory.

Well good luck with getting back to normal mode. I think mine's pretty much permanent. Celestrata sent me a message in which he pretty much told me that I only get unblocked if I keep making posts that he agrees with. Problem is I don't post now since their review que is so inefficient that all my posts are made far too late and by then the thread is dead. I see no point in posting if it might as well not have been posted. The only way I can see I'll ever get back to normal mode is when he decides his imaginary period has ended.

Also, a few of my friends came back to their lifetime accounts recently because they heard about RoR and they pretty much left a few minutes later because of the price and what it contained. Wonder how many other people did that?

As a stopped lifer you can buy RoI/RoR for free, i checked my other lifetime account I rarely use yesterday and I had 9k+ TP, so I bought RoI on it for 5k points and I'll have enough points for RoR when it releases/ if they release a full xpac later

And another communication failure: They still haven't given an answer to questions what happens with the legendary expansion 6th bag if you don't have all bags unlocked yet

Well good luck with getting back to normal mode. I think mine's pretty much permanent. Celestrata sent me a message in which he pretty much told me that I only get unblocked if I keep making posts that he agrees with. Problem is I don't post now since their review que is so inefficient that all my posts are made far too late and by then the thread is dead. I see no point in posting if it might as well not have been posted. The only way I can see I'll ever get back to normal mode is when he decides his imaginary period has ended.

When or if I ever hear from Celestrata regarding my moderation status, I fully expect I will be told to be a good little poster and only say nice things about Turbine and LOTRO, or it's back in the hole again. Which, would be silly to say to me, because I'd have screenshots of that up on my website within moments, and devote a full episode to ripping Turbine for that.

Nobody puts the Troll in a corner. Nobody. Either I can post freely (within the posted rules of the official LOTRO Forums, which I have yet to break), or they should just ban me outright... Which will be screen-shotted, placed on my website for all to see, and met with a full episode of "The MMO Troll" ripping Turbine.

Also, a few of my friends came back to their lifetime accounts recently because they heard about RoR and they pretty much left a few minutes later because of the price and what it contained. Wonder how many other people did that?

I wouldn't know, but I suspect - based on the firestorm RoR has raised since the pre-purchase started - there are a lot of people who refuse to come back now.

When or if I ever hear from Celestrata regarding my moderation status, I fully expect I will be told to be a good little poster and only say nice things about Turbine and LOTRO, or it's back in the hole again. Which, would be silly to say to me, because I'd have screenshots of that up on my website within moments, and devote a full episode to ripping Turbine for that.

Nobody puts the Troll in a corner. Nobody. Either I can post freely (within the posted rules of the official LOTRO Forums, which I have yet to break), or they should just ban me outright... Which will be screen-shotted, placed on my website for all to see, and met with a full episode of "The MMO Troll" ripping Turbine.

Apparently Celestrata's on holiday at the moment (was nice enough to message me mid-holiday to let me know, since I was spamming his inbox). I wouldn't expect anything until he comes back but I don't know when that will be.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/20/lotro-shows-off-the-vistas-of-rohan-in-new-video-and-stills/

Some stuffs.

I don't really see anything spectacularly "new" except for the bit of fangorn forest. Every scene looked just like somewhere else I'd been in the game before. I really wish they'd have made Mirkwood forest HUGE. I mean friggin huge! Somewhere to really explore, get lost in, never know whats around the next tree. Without a town, camp, or settlement every 100 steps.

I don't really see anything spectacularly "new" except for the bit of fangorn forest. Every scene looked just like somewhere else I'd been in the game before.

This. I know they're only screengrabs and are not representative of the whole, but don't you think they'd at least pick shots that actually looked and felt like Rohan? Those shots make it look like it's just made up of recycled graphical elements from Lone Lands, Dunland and Evendim with a few new building designs and rock formations slapped on top of it. Even the wide shots look pretty uninspired.

But I suppose they're hoping people won't notice how bland the landscape is when it's rocketing past them at a hundred miles an hour while they're sat on their shiny new combat mounts.

Those shots make it look like it's just made up of recycled graphical elements from Lone Lands, Dunland and Evendim with a few new building designs and rock formations slapped on top of it.

Is it because that's exactly what they've done? When I was watching I was thinking, what is this? Great River 2: Even Greater

Is it because that's exactly what they've done? When I was watching I was thinking, what is this? Great River 2: Even Greater

Doesn't surprise me. They've been recycling graphics with additional cursory alterations since Enedwaith. Mirkwood was the last piece of distinct design that they came up with. Of course it's entirely coincidental that they started rehashing their old material when they went free to play. The shift from subs-only had absolutely no effect on the quality of their output, oh no...

Doesn't surprise me. They've been recycling graphics with additional cursory alterations since Enedwaith. Mirkwood was the last piece of distinct design that they came up with. Of course it's entirely coincidental that they started rehashing their old material when they went free to play. The shift from subs-only had absolutely no effect on the quality of their output, oh no...

Actually, Enedwaith is very much different than Mirkwood and even contains a number of distinct terrain designs. Changes since then have been rather incremental though. Dunland built on the Enedwaith themes and only added in some forests and swamps from Mirkwood. Great river repeated the themes with brown lands as the (failed) exception. Although structures are all new, maybe due to lore constraints, they are not really different. Maybe some more lively colors would do the trick.

I am not expecting much variety in Riders of Rohan. After all, it is mostly a grassy plain. Fangorn looks nice.

Next place I would expect a distinct change in style would be for Ithilien or Gondor. No idea if Turbine can break the mold of grey/brown/green they seem to have locked themselves into. They will be damned if they do or don't.

In fairness, what do you expect them to do? Fill the landscape with garish pinks & luminous yellows? A grassy plain is a grassy plain, and we already know what Gondor will look like because we've been seeing Numenorean-descended architecture ever since the ruins in the starter areas.

If they make it look different, there'll be a ton of people complaining that it's wrong, if it (largely correctly) doesn't look different, they'll have a ton of people complaining it all looks the same. In which case, they might just as well re-use existing textures & save their effort* for other things!

*Not that I've noticed any useful results from that allegedly saved effort, I must confess...

Yeah, for once I'll have to defend Turbine. They don't have too much to work with, since Rohan is effectively a steppe like in Mongolia (the people of which were and are largely a horse-based culture, much like Rohan). If all it is are fields, then that's all they can really do. Other locations do look interesting, though, like Fangorn. Always wanted to visit that place and now I get to, albeit the edge only. But if they do to Fangorn what they did to Mirkwood, it might as well not be a forest.

Plus, the setting isn't as fantastical as other fantasy MMOs, so they can't deviate from what we've seen naturally, which has pretty much been extensively used (what the hell they did to Angmar, I have no clue). We've also seen the architecture of Rohan in the Great River, so there isn't much difference they can make. The only thing they have had to work on has been the 'flavour' of each town (though it might turn out by town they meant small camp), which I'm interested in seeing.

This is another one of those areas where I've been spoiled by GW2. Here is a video which shows what it looks like when a developer sticks to a theme without simply copy and pasting things. ArenaNet thought it was important to make sure every bed in Hoelbrak was unique. Turbine are simply take Stangard and simply paste it all over Rohan to create cities that will probably be difficult to tell apart with looking at your map. I know Turbine don't have the manpower to do things the right way, but they've chosen meeting unrealistic deadline over taking the time to do things correctly.

I'm not so sure... landscaping is lotro's forte and the screens look pretty good and so far I haven't seen any of the traditional 'swamp/hills/graveyard' mini-zones. Let's face it, Rohan is supposed to be rolling plains, that's pretty much what we've seen in the North Downs and Evendim already. Their tools haven't seen major changes, so if they've got to design the same thing, it's going to look similar. The only variations are the towns and mountain ranges... and Fangorn. They seem to have taken a special approach to Fangorn with the engine improvements, so whether is going to be a success or not, you can't argue they just copy-pasted stuff there. Mountains we've seen before as well (Trollshaws, Eregion) and Stangard looked pretty good with all the interiors etc. if they don't just copy and paste the town layout, it could actually be pretty interesting.

This is another one of those areas where I've been spoiled by GW2. Here is a video which shows what it looks like when a developer sticks to a theme without simply copy and pasting things. ArenaNet thought it was important to make sure every bed in Hoelbrak was unique. Turbine are simply take Stangard and simply paste it all over Rohan to create cities that will probably be difficult to tell apart with looking at your map. I know Turbine don't have the manpower to do things the right way, but they've chosen meeting unrealistic deadline over taking the time to do things correctly.

I am so in love with GW2, I'm going to be heartbroken if I don't like the gameplay...

I wasn't really complaining about not seeing anything new...as I know that Rohan is just rolling fields. I'm just really hoping that there is a huge "OMG!" factor with Fangorn. It's kind of been a while since I've had one of those moments. I was in awe with Moria, I liked Mirkwood a good bit but felt it could have been a little better. Isengard was just ok. People have been waiting for Rohan and Gondor since SoA launched, and since Moria was so spectacular, I think many of us really NEED Rohan to be spectacular. Just as I'm on the fence still about pre-purchasing, I'm on the fence as to how spectacular it will be. Which sux, cuz I really want to be gung-ho excited about it.

I wasn't really complaining about not seeing anything new...as I know that Rohan is just rolling fields. I'm just really hoping that there is a huge "OMG!" factor with Fangorn. It's kind of been a while since I've had one of those moments. I was in awe with Moria, I liked Mirkwood a good bit but felt it could have been a little better. Isengard was just ok. People have been waiting for Rohan and Gondor since SoA launched, and since Moria was so spectacular, I think many of us really NEED Rohan to be spectacular. Just as I'm on the fence still about pre-purchasing, I'm on the fence as to how spectacular it will be. Which sux, cuz I really want to be gung-ho excited about it.

Yeah sadly turbine needs some more omg wow stuff, i'll still never forget the wow factor the first time I went into rivendel from the trollshaws, max graphics been able to see the whole valley below and the path on the opposite side rising upto the misty mountains..I mean wow, blown away.