LOTROCommunity

Riders of Rohan Pre-Order

Talisman

True. This is just a big push to make some quarterly target.

Maybe Turbine should just accept that F2P for LOTRO doesn't work, or at the very least that they aren't doing enough to justify people paying extra to keep the game solvent? Selling annual expansions for more than many new games cost just isn't going to fly, especially when the economy is far from rosy right now.

I think too many are really using the Free part of f2p and of course are shouldering the cost of the game on the remaining players. What good is 1,000,000 players if less than 10% actually pay?

I really miss when Turbine was a private company and F2P was just an itch in WBs pants.

Let's see what happens!

Be happy if you live in the EU. You can buy the largest bundle and then get your money back for Turbine selling you an expansion that isn't fully detailed with what it contains. Since the code is already applied to your account, Turbine can only give you your money back and not remove the expansion.

So, in short, if you live in the EU, you can buy this expansion for free. You can thank Turbine for that.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?462306-Be-Happy-if-You-Live-in-the-US&p=6210078#post6210078

Let's see what happens!

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?462306-Be-Happy-if-You-Live-in-the-US&p=6210078#post6210078

Oh, Doro, I think you're going to get a vacation for that. You know Rick won't respond well when he sees all this discontent, so I suspect he'll take it out on you and others.

I think too many are really using the Free part of f2p and of course are shouldering the cost of the game on the remaining players. What good is 1,000,000 players if less than 10% actually pay?

I really miss when Turbine was a private company and F2P was just an itch in WBs pants.

Yep. Things were a lot better before Turbine and WB took the game F2P. I still look back on the times before Mirkwood and think "I really liked playing LOTRO then, and was proud to be a supporter of Turbine".

Now? Not so much.

No TP price? They can bugger off as far as I'm concerned; my money is staying in my pocket. When I can buy it with TP, I'll buy it with TP. It's not like I'll be missing anything - no instances, another grind to the new level cap, replace my LIs yet again, hang around waiting for end-game content; all for the sake of mounted combat that will probably turn out to be crap / buggy. I'll wait; by the time I get it, I expect the usual scrum round new content, queueing up for mobs, etc, will have died down.

Not at present. Apparantly, as someone mentioned in a similar question on the forums, they can only put things in the store that are in the game. The RoI expansion, for example, couldn't go in the store until all the instances were released (and that wasn't until December with Update 5). It seems an odd design choice.

When I was excited about the 6th bag I didn't think they would charge me $30 for it. (the other stuff in that edition is useless to me)

That's gonna be expensive for multiple accounts. And I am paying twice for those stupid quest packs. A usual.

And the TP packages with no bonus points? Come on. Talk about bring about the wrath of the players for no reason. Somebody there has really bad judgement.

So, if this isn't due until Fall, Turbine is now selling pre-orders three-four months in advance. Funny timing considering it is the last month of Q2.

Not to mention $40 to $70 for an expansion - really? This has got to be the biggest joke ever. They are getting to the point where they are selling expansions, with minimal new content, for the price of an entire game.

To be fair, this is the week of E3, and they have repeatedly stated in the forums (as well as on Twitter) that they would have major announcements during the expo. I really don't think it's unreasonable to start pre-orders 3 months early. All I ask is that they don't release a bug-riddled repeat of RoI.

Well, it certainly looks like I'll be using TP for it. Can't really afford this atm anyway, what with pennies going on a certain festival that starts friday(altho we are camping in the crap weather for 5 days).

But then there's Rocksmith coming out in the UK in october. Not sure I'll be able to afford that and an expansion for each lifetime VIP account.

Well, it certainly looks like I'll be using TP for it. Can't really afford this atm anyway, what with pennies going on a certain festival that starts friday(altho we are camping in the crap weather for 5 days).

But then there's Rocksmith coming out in the UK in october. Not sure I'll be able to afford that and an expansion for each lifetime VIP account.

Indeed! I would rather put this money towards one of the several Renaissance Faires I attend each summer, than put it into Turbine's pocket. While I may get more playtime with LOTRO, I'll have a lot more fun and great memories from the Ren Faire. Plus, Jousting and Ale > LOTRO, even with Mounted Combat.

To be fair, this is the week of E3, and they have repeatedly stated in the forums (as well as on Twitter) that they would have major announcements during the expo. I really don't think it's unreasonable to start pre-orders 3 months early. All I ask is that they don't release a bug-riddled repeat of RoI.

Except, this is very important, THEY ARE NOT DOING PRE-ORDERS (caps for emphasis). They are doing a PRE-PURCHASE which is an entirely differnet animal under US law. I am well versed on this since my company is currently doing pre-purchase on some business software we are releasing in July and my attornies clearly spelled out what the requirements were in the US (and the UK and EU for that matter) in regard to this.

From a marketing standpoint, it seems easy to move from pre-order (which is a small deposit only not billed until product availability) to a pre-purchase (which is paying for the full price of the product before it is ready), but from a legal standpoint there is a tremendous difference in legal requirements.

Let's see what happens!

Oh, Doro, I think you're going to get a vacation for that. You know Rick won't respond well when he sees all this discontent, so I suspect he'll take it out on you and others.

If you will recall, I exposed that very same legal snafu of both Turbine and Digital River back when RoI was available for pre-purchase. I made public the precise legal precedent to quote in order for players to obtain their refund without losing their access, and the law has not changed since then. I guarantee you that you will be able to do the exact same thing with RoR. I also got myself made invisible on their forums for masking that information known to their customers, because Turbine do not want their customers to be aware of their rights.

Remember this? Perhaps it would be an idea that anyone posting along these lines on the official forums starts screen grabbing again, in case Sapience starts doing this again. Check out those threads - they should give you all the ammunition you need to get your money back.

So yes, you can buy the pre-purchase, activate the code and then obtain your legally entitled refund, thus enabling you to get Rohan and all its goodies for free. There is no way for Turbine to deny you without being in violation of UK and EU law.

Coincidentally, a couple of weeks ago Turbine severed their partnership with Digital River and created their own webstore. Could that have anything to do with the fact that last time they offered a pre-purchase Digital River were, after some struggle, readily handing out the refunds their customers were legally entitled to? Refunds that Turbine wanted to avoid having to give?

I would expect that the number of hoops you will have to jump through to obtain your refunds will be much higher now Turbine have assumed control. Just always remember your rights and what they are legally obligated to give you. Their insistence that "all sales are final" has no basis in law and you can bitchslap them royally if they try to deny your rights.

Sss, we musst have it, precious! And extra bagses, somehow we musst gets it, gollum!

I'm not preordering so far in advance though, I don't see any point forking out until I can install it.

I'm considering waiting for the bag to show up as a TP purchase.

I still haven't caught up with the level limit now and given how things go it is questionable whether I ever will.

Plus as I said for multiple accounts this gets out of control. The one feature I want hidden behind a $70 price tag? That's like Mercedes having a $12000 extras package on a $8000 car, but the extras include the windshield. What do you want? Get some WW1 pilot glasses. You don't have to buy the windshield.

• Upvote 1

$70 price tag for complete goodies package....hmmmm, most other games, this might surprise me being that it's just an expansion. With Turdbine I am not too surprised though. Ever since they went F2P, they have been pushing the envelope on how much they dare try to take out of your pocket with rediculously over-priced items. I mean seriosly, the first tell-tale sign was a $20 per-character tax on a top tier mount way back when. It's just gotten ever worse since then. What do you want to bet that the complete RoR package will be 9000TP when it eventually hits the point shop?

As for me, with RoI I only upgraded 2 of my 3 accounts, and that was only with lower tier upgrade.. With RoR I'm not even certain I will be upgrading 1 account, let alone 2. I just don't see $70 of value for what they are giving. Too many unknowns. I don't trust Turdbine's "marketing speak" anymore.

I have been out of the game for a few months now, always wondered if I would play again (no I dont have the balls to delete my toons), but at $40 for an expansion all signs point to no f#ckng way. I could see $20 or $25, but FORTY and then having to buy the 6th bag (probably 1995 TP or ~$20) thats 60 bucks right there and then STILL most likely having to sub. Im not a 1%er and will never be. Imagine being priced out of an MMO. Its a shame, for all of its faults I like the game and love my kin. Good job Turbine :/

Edit:I want to add that the ass-kissery on lotro forums is at an all time high. :*

Yeah, at first I thought improved compared to other announcements but reality has catched up with my thoughts ;)

Although I liked the "Raise Celestra's wage" topic, the topic-starter is right, she can't be envied now and I still think she at least tries to be as honest as possible.

I still can't believe that so many people have bought this expansion. 'More money than sense', springs to mind.

... she can't be envied now and I still think she at least tries to be as honest as possible.

*He.

Also, I forgot to add:

Warning received for: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?6210078-Re:-Be-Happy-if-You-Live-in-the-US&p=6210078#post6210078

While participating on the Community Sites, you must respect the rights of others to participate in the community. To this end you may not harass, defraud, threaten or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other members or Turbine staff. This includes, but is not limited to: Posting or commenting with the intent of provoking ("trolling") another user or users. (Community Guideline #1 - Minor)

Comments:

"Be happy if you live in the EU. You can buy the largest bundle and then get your money back for Turbine selling you an expansion that isn't fully detailed with what it contains. Since the code is already applied to your account, Turbine can only give you your money back and not remove the expansion."

Dorothir,

I think that is, perhaps, a very loose interpretation of that law. Everything on the pages of what the expansion contains is detailed very clearly.

~Celestrata

(I will only make this a warning this time, which carries no penalty. However, do not do this again or keep attempting to stir the pot.)

He has the cheek to say that my pointing out of their lack of detail of the expansion is loosely interpreting the law, while ignoring the pathetically loose interpretation of the forums own rules to give me a warning.

Well on the bright side they now said that they will give us the prices in TP for items like the 6th bag today.

Of course that's a sucker's game since once you have the bag you would pay for it twice if you needed a bundle that includes it in the end.

They gave the prices, their FAQ is updated:

http://www.lotro.com/news/latestnews/2082-riders-of-rohan-pre-order-faq

It does look like $40 base game is at least worth considering. Unless you did happen to have that kind of TP lingering around already, that is.

They gave the prices, their FAQ is updated:

http://www.lotro.com/news/latestnews/2082-riders-of-rohan-pre-order-faq

It does look like $40 base game is at least worth considering. Unless you did happen to have that kind of TP lingering around already, that is.

They've yet to even mention any instances or raids. What are they going to do when they come out? Give them to everyone who pre-purchased or bought Rohan Expansion Content for TP? Or will they do what they did with RoI and make people buy those seperately if they'd already bought the Quest Pack before their release?

All I can see them selling in this expansion is a Quest Pack. Everything else is either fluff or for free. They've now broken their promise to Lifetime accounts and VIPs. 'You get full access to everything, including updates, but you have to buy expansions'. Now they're just calling updates expansions.

Where is the information on these TP bundles you can buy with the expansion, BTW?

It's just the normal TP bundles on the site. People are just buying them at the same time. They aren't included with the expansion.