LOTROCommunity

Riders of Rohan Pre-Order

Talisman

I can't bring myself to buy any.

5000TP at £20

2500TP at £12

1550TP at £8

Still I can't do it. Even knowing I'm somehow ripping them off (not really, since it costs them nothing) I can't bring myself to give Turbine money. I'm more inclined to grind remaining deeds and get the 1000ish TP I'll be missing by september and just get the expansion for free.

Probably something to do with everything in the Store being so pricy. The stat tomes, star-lit crystals and crystal of remembrance I'd be getting are so expensive, I'd only get about 2 or 3 before my TP ran out. One character alone needs 5 x stat bundles, 18 x star-lits and 30 x remembrance (providing you can increase your legacies not just once but 5 times each). Those things alone come to well over 50,000TP.

That's it, screw the Store. I'm going to grind some deeds whilst listening to power ballads.

Mm, if they would add TP, I might consider preordering, yes. And it shouldn't be a little bit like 1k TP for the Legendary either. A bit more than that, at least more than double that, and I might be swayed somewhat into preordering. Right now I'm actually thinking of using my 'free' TPs. That, or wait until it's 50% off less than a month later.

The preorder-purchase bonuses are what?

* 4 Rohan Elite Guard Statted Cloaks? Cosmetically it didn't look impressive, and it can't be dyed... And the stats are said to suck, any crafted cloak and you're already better off. Besides, level cap is 85, so you'd be getting better cloaks already.

* Rohirrim Soldier on Landscape Appearance? I haven't used landscape soldiers at all yet. Neither would I need to, as Warden. Heh.

* The Outrider's Token? I already have the Derudh Stone, and after level 65, leveling actually goes bloody fast. Whizz, you go through Dunland, bam, you're 75. I think I'll manage there.

So I think I might wait until it's 50% off in the store after the expansion's gone live. I'll get all those other fun stuff, though I might just buy the 6th bag for 995TP the first day it becomes available.

Note that the 'Exclusive Rohan Content' is not listed under the pre-purchase bonuses. I bet it'll still be available in the web store after release, with 50% off.

this ^^^^ is pretty much how i feel.

i didnt even get ROI last year for much the same reason.

i think ill just wait too for the sale.

When did points become so expensive, anyway? I didn't buy regularly but it seems to be the price crep up severely. I think it used to be 1 cent for small amounts and 0.6 cents for the bigger amount, no? Or am I dreaming?

I still can't believe that so many people have bought this expansion. 'More money than sense', springs to mind.

*He.

Also, I forgot to add:

He has the cheek to say that my pointing out of their lack of detail of the expansion is loosely interpreting the law, while ignoring the pathetically loose interpretation of the forums own rules to give me a warning.

I really think Celestrata is a she, considering here signature on the forum

Well, Sap has told us that there will be a new instance cluster released after RoR is out. http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?462269-New-Instance-Cluster&p=6213910#post6213910

Hey guys I want to start off by apologizing for being a little MIA the past couple of days. Between flying cross country and being in a little 10x 8 room in the middle of the mass of E3 craziness has put a serious damper on my communication time with anyone beyond the press. So let me set that right by giving you some info.

We are working on an instance cluster. Currently it is planned to be part of an update due to release after the Riders of Rohan expansion has shipped.

Rohan itself will be released with a new type of repeatable content.

We're not really talking about either of these things at the moment. Even the press is just getting a very rough overview, but you will be getting more information about both the cluster and the new repeatable content later this summer.

Obviously, with Beta due to start later this summer, there will be an opportunity for players to get some hands on time with the new content and of course mounted combat (which is being very well received by the press in our demos!). As with Rise of Isengard, a pre-purchase will get you to the front of the line for Beta invites (assuming an account in good standing of course).

Now, off to my tiny, cold white box.

No indication as yet if that is free to purchasers of RoR or not.

I've been wondering why even my arse-kissing posts haven't been getting through... but then I have been peppering them with praise as if I were referring to a cult or Kim Jong Il (*reminds self to end with 'our dear leader', since 'long live Turbine' and 'all hail Turbine' are getting old*).

Oh, hey Doro. Decided I would not be put off by Turbine, even on Mod Review, so I am posting as normal on the official LOTRO Forums as of this morning. I simply am adding the following note to the bottom of every single post I make:

[NOTE FOR MODERATOR REVIEWING THIS: I have been on Moderator Review for six months, after not breaking a single rule of these forums, and without a single warning. I contacted Celestrata about this, and she referred me to Sapience (as she had no idea why I was on Mod Review), but Sapience never responded to my PM about this issue. Therefore, I gave up on posting here... But no more. I will post on these forums as I used to, and each of these posts will come across your queue, to do with as you will. These posts will not break any rules, as always, and I hope you will let them through. Otherwise, expect to see these posts a lot, each time with this disclaimer. I will continue to haunt your queue until this undeserved Moderator Review is removed, or Turbine bans me. If I am indeed banned for simply posting and not breaking any rules, you can be sure I will make this a topic on my podcast. Just saying. Oh, feel free to delete this Mod Note if you let the post go through.]

Basically, if they want to silence folks by putting them in Mod Review forever, I will choke their review queue until they either ban me outright or remove the wrongly-imposed review status. I suggest you do something similar, as you were only given a 'warning', and yet now you are in review status.

I really think Celestrata is a she, considering here signature on the forum

Mentally a she. Biologically a he. Colin 'Seraphina' Brennan or something. Usually a nice person. Seems to have fallen under the whip of the other mods now.

Oh, hey Doro. Decided I would not be put off by Turbine, even on Mod Review, so I am posting as normal on the official LOTRO Forums as of this morning. I simply am adding the following note to the bottom of every single post I make:

Basically, if they want to silence folks by putting them in Mod Review forever, I will choke their review queue until they either ban me outright or remove the wrongly-imposed review status. I suggest you do something similar, as you were only given a 'warning', and yet now you are in review status.

Good idea, actually.

It doesn't matter whether Celestrata is a he or a she. Call him a he or a she whatever you will.

Move along now.

And yes, it remains to be seen whether that 'instance cluster' will be part of RoR.

Warning: this post contains tinfoil hat level speculation, read at your own risk.

If you look carefully at Celestrata's posts, the expansion includes "Rohan region quests". Given Turbine's Olympic-level ability to mangle words, that might be a subtle indication that 'region' is only one category of quests, the landscape, with a post-expansion purchase of an 'instance quests' category to access any instances added in later updates.

I bet every thing with a door will be charged extra.

Same as when I went VIP to Premium, bought the Angmar quest pack and still stood in front of a closed door in Angmar that I would have to pay extra for. Thanks for that.

You know all those times the Defenders have blindly defended Turbine? How they ignored the obvious decline in quality and customer service, for some unknown reason? How no matter what Turbine do, they'll just say 'please sir, can I have another?'?

I think this time only the truly deluded are still waving that flag. They seem oblivious to the imminent demise of LotRO. They're to LotRO what the string quartet was to the Titanic (with Turbine playing the role of iceberg).

I once gave a list of things that would mean the death of LotRO.

1. So far the over-priced, void-of-content expansion has already ticked the first one.

2. Now we wait on the release of Lifetime accounts again, at 'low' prices (lower than before).

3. During this time, TP will drop in price dramatically and increase in bundles.

4. After a few small updates, all of which are pure grind with nothing new, they'll announce a new expansion.

5. This one will seem like the biggest expansion ever. There will be huge hype around it. When it is finally released, it costs even more than the first void-of-content expansion and will have even less content than that. It will have unfinished landscapes and bugs galore.

6. Once this is sold, Turbine, who already knew of their intent at the first expansion (in this case, RoR), will announce their decision to end LotRO. They won't mention that they had known this for months or that they intentionally sold an expansion for the final cash grab.

7. And through out all of this, VIPs will have more and more things taken from them and sold back to them. So far we have the relic removal scrolls, the crystals of remembrance and the Rohan quest pack (it isn't anywhere near an expansion really).

This, my friends, is the slow and agonising death of LotRO. Add to it all the other upcoming MMOs (GW2, Elder Scrolls Online next year) and Turbine have successfully managed to kill something that 5 years ago I would have thought was immortal.

Fuck you, Turbine. Fuck you.

• Upvote 2

I think you need a bit of a cool down. Go play another game for a while or something. That is actually my advice as you seem to be quite heated up.

Physically, yes. Very warm night. Also means the spiders are out and I just flattened one as big as a family car.

Emotionally/mentally, no. I'm as cool as a cucumber. I'm just now at the point where I can't be bothered any more. Nothing will change from here on out, hence my post of the predictions. I now get to just sit here and wait to see if they're true (oooh underground gambling idea...).

[copying here from the official forums]

I won't pre-purchase anything.

It is questionable whether I need more than Epic Storyline and mob killing in there.

Given recent history I will by default assume that mounted combat is too buggy to be fun. Maybe if they let me play on Bullroarer and it doesn't suck this point could be eliminated. But even then I already stopped doing the LI grid, I think am likely to not be convinced that the horse grind will be any better.

No TPs included and then only randomly picked (by Turbine) amounts of TP that we are "allowed" to purchase by the powers to be? Not a big incentive, that one.

Cosmetics? Sorry I don't care as long as I can't dye them. What is up with removing the ability to dye things from things that we directly pay cash for?

I want some existing bugs to be fixed before paying more for continuing to play this game with these bugs than I would have to pay for an entire new game (and yes, given recent history LOTRO is more buggy than many other games, including new releases). I most certainly won't pay as long as the lag is there (got to be kidding me).

I will bug the 6th inventory bag and I am actually thankful (no sarcasm) that Turbine makes it available at a reasonable cost and that it is account wide.

They seem oblivious to the imminent demise of LotRO.

Funnily enough, I commented here, somewhere, on the death of LotRO not that long ago. I didn't say imminent, just that it was showing signs of terminal decline. I was told I was wrong (no, not by you, Doro; I'm just commenting, that's all).

Elder Scrolls Online next year

Bethesda. Another games company I would not touch with a bargepole. That's just because their games are badly flawed though, not because they treat the customer / fan base with contempt.

I may have worked it out, though. I added the legendary expansion to my cart and chose the 5000TP bonus it was offering. I then removed the expansion and went back to the Points page and it still showed the discount.

Break the system and get discounts!

I just wanted to bring this to attention if anyone is feeling like buying TP. If you perform this trick with every expansion type and add every suggested TP bundle, when you remove them from your cart, the discount stays on the 1550, 2500 and 5000 bundles without the need of buying an expansion too. This trick also works for the 50% off RoI heroic expansion that is offered with the Riders heroic expansion.

I just wanted to bring this to attention if anyone is feeling like buying TP. If you perform this trick with every expansion type and add every suggested TP bundle, when you remove them from your cart, the discount stays on the 1550, 2500 and 5000 bundles without the need of buying an expansion too. This trick also works for the 50% off RoI heroic expansion that is offered with the Riders heroic expansion.

Gotta love how well their software works.

Bethesda. Another games company I would not touch with a bargepole. That's just because their games are badly flawed though, not because they treat the customer / fan base with contempt.

Completely off topic but what makes you say this? I'm just interested

Well, why play LOTRO?

As I said, sir, without the social side, I would already have left. The game NOW is... OK. But OK is not good enough when it used to be really good and engrossing; when it hardly feels like Middle Earth any more, because they display so little common sense or respect in dealing with game mechanics, storytelling or the lore; when everything I'm asked to do, I've done 1,000 times before. It's not even thinly disguised; "we're going to waste your time by asking you to kill x number of these mobs, and then ask you to go back & kill y number more in order to gather z..." So why didn't you ask me to gather when you asked me to kill the first time, you bunch of fucking twats?! I am aware that there are only so many different quests, but they're not making the slightest effort to be original any more.

New pixels; new scenery, new skins; same old same old. New clothes, same tired worn out old body underneath. Sorry, dear, I just don't love you any more... :-O

because I like the works of Tolkien and the experience of being in Middle Earth? The second choice, I think.

Good for you. I disagree. Was it it worth repeating what you said first time to disagree with me disagreeing with you? Not really. Your opinion is known; so is mine. ;)

Actually I know the works of Tolkien VERY well.

Where did I say you did not? How do you know what my knowledge is? I did not; you don't, so what's the point of even introducing this?

Yes, I know the lore too. I'm also keenly interested in history, principally Dark Ages, Medieval & WWI; in words & dialects (not languages, per se); I'm a lapsed re-enactor, and a lapsed medieval martial artist. I know shitloads too, but I'm not interested in playing games of one-upmanship, so let's not, eh? ;)

There is a difference between treating the lore with respect & making a good game, and not giving a damn, and just shoving anything in because you feel like it. Turbine used to do the former; they don't any more. There were little in-jokes like Bogi Deepdelver. Bogi is certainly a very Dwarvish sounding name (Ori, Fili, etc), as is Deepdelver as a soubriquet. But the (phonetic) Bogey Deepdelver? Subtle enough to raise a grin & afterwards be ignored.

The Loremaster. Obviously based on the Wizard / Istari idea. Too overtly magical for Middle Earth, but nevertheless done tastefully enough. I've never had an issue with it (I'd better not; LM is one of my Main's!). Then came the RK. Premium, paid for, overpowered, & utterly against the lore.

Beauty is skin deep. There's nothing in a skin. Whether you misread me deliberately or not, I have no idea, but

Lots of artists have indeed protrayed Middle Earth but they are also often guilty of lore violations.

What of it? That has nothing to do with what I said. The point I was trying to make is that there is precious little more than a passing nod to the lore any more. If it's merely about what the world looks like (which was one of the points you made - the look of Stangard), I can get my fix out of stuff I already own; not something I have to fork out $40 to a bunch of shysters for.

For my taste, there's little beyond the look & that occasional nod (names & the loosely-round-the-book epic "plot", mostly) that feels like Middle Earth any more. My apologies if I wasn't clear enough about that.

Tolkien based the culture of the Rohirrim on heroic Norse legends

*cough* Really? I admit, you may have me here. I've never cared to dig into the endless apocrypha pushed out by CRT, nor JRR's published letters. I'll tell you this, though; Norse legends? Really? Just take Earendil. Elvish name, allegedly, except it was borrowed from Old English literature, and is cognate with Aurvandill (Old Norse), Arurwandilo (Lombardic) and, according to Wiki, "Tolkien's legend of Eärendil has elements resembling the medieval Celtic Immram legends or the Christian legend of St. Brendan the Navigator."

Not very exclusively Norse, really. Germanic would be a better term. Allows you a spread of thousand years or so, and all the way from Prussia, through Scandanavia to England and, perhaps, beyond to Ireland. Tolkien, to be blunt, was a thief. The Ainulindale was a straight lift from christer (amongst others) mythology; the names for many of the dwarves (and A Certain Wizard) were lifted, as I don't doubt you know, from the Dvergatal in the Norse Elder / Poetic Edda.

Claiming "Norse" is to thin, too limiting, unless you actually do have chapter & verse from the man himself. That stuff was spread right across Northern Europe for a couple of thousand years. It merely survived last, latest, and most evolved, and therefore best recorded, in Scandanavia.

I think Tolkien would have greatly admired the Stangard mead hall.

I think he could probably dig his way to Australia, he'll be spinning so fast right now. He never wanted the books to be filmed, because he didn't think it would / could be done properly, and I reckon he'd be tearing his metaphorical hair out over the Jacksons' abysmal interpretation of his tale. I can only imagine how he'd react to Turbine's effort... 7(8)7

The behaviour is interesting too. Tolkien writes (in Tree and Leaf) of the battle of Maldon where the defending king allows the vikings free passage over a causeway to allow a "fair" battle. That's just the kind of daft stunt the Rohirrim go in for, and LOTRO has their behaviour right in my opinion.

Wrong. For a start, Byrhtnoth was an eorl, not a king. For second, I cannot offer you evidence as I don't know where I got the suggestion from, but it has also been suggested that a / the reason why Byrhtnoth allowed them to cross was because he was fed up with the length of time that things were taking. I've been down to the site (and got my feet wet when the tide came in rapidly & unexpectedly!). The causeway could, even now, be held with only a couple of men at a time. It may have been daft on Byrhtnoth's part to allow the vikings across, but there may also have been reasons why it was sound to do so.

Third, what evidence do you have for claiming the Rohirrim go in for "daft stunts"? Fourth, and last, be careful in what you present. This is starting to feel like arguing with Radhruin on the CM forums. He always had to be right; could never admit to being wrong; would always try to weasel out of any any argument to put to him. I'm certainly not accusing you of that! ;) However, the fundamental difference between he & I was that he treated every word as gospel. It had to be true because the Professor wrote it! Whereas I regard JRRT, in terms of the ME canon, as a storyteller, not a historian. He is not a scholar; he wants to sweep you up in the heroic tale, he embellishes, he exaggerates! Just so you know where I stand...

I could go on for longer, but shan't. Should you choose to make one, I await your response with interest. Have at ye, sirrah! ;)

All I can say is that I have taken long breaks from LOTRO in the past, like I have since last November. I have always bought the expansions the first day they were available, up until now. Obviously, I won't be buying RoR, nor will my wife. She's quite happy playing "Rift" (as am I), but I have a bevy of different games I play that simply leaves no time for LOTRO:

Champions Online

Guild Wars 2

Rift

The Secret World

Star Trek Online

I'm only paying monthly for Rift, as the rest are either no-subscription games or I have a Lifetime sub for them, and my wife and I are each only paying $8.25/month for Rift, because we got in on a great Annual deal last year.

Anyway, with all that in mind, why should I even bother to consider buying RoR? Why pay even $40 for what Turbine admits is only a quest-pack at this point (no instances, raids or skirmishes included), when I have such a bevy of entertainment available? Hell, I paid $70 for GW2, and I get a full game out of it, rather than just a quest-pack for an existing game!

Yes, I realize that all those Lifetime subs cost more than RoR, but that's not a fair comparison. Here's what I spent on each game with a LT sub or equivalent:

Champions Online ($299 Lifetime sub)

Guild Wars 2 ($70 No-Sub - Essentially a Lifetime sub)

Lord of the Rings Online (Roughly $520 - Main game, LT sub, plus all expansions and multiple point bundles)

The Secret World ($250 - game plus Grand-Master pack, which includes LT sub)

Star Trek Online ($299 Lifetime sub - Game included with purchase)

So at $520, LOTRO has been the most expensive game with a Lifetime sub I have ever bought (WoW is the most expensive game I have ever bought period, spending over a $1000 while I played that). And that is without adding another $40-70 for RoR! Some Turbine fanboys say "$40 is worth it for hundreds of hours of fun!", to which I say "It is never just $40, and that is how Turbine gets you."

I spent $520 in four years of playing LOTRO, that's a lot of money. It was worth it through MoM, because it was a quality game then, but since SoM the game has being in decline. I would rather spend my money on games that are still fun, to companies that care about their players and work hard to put out quality content. Turbine should realize their error, and return to their glory days... but I don't see it happening.

I wish I could post that on the LOTRO Forums, but am still muzzled. I guess I'll put it on my website tonight instead.

I wonder what will happen if RoR doesn't meet sales expectations? Will Turbine finally change their ways or will this be the final nail to the coffin and the game shuts down?

I'm of two minds on this. On one hand I don't want to pay Turbine anymore for their pathetic service and hope everyone else doesn't either, but on the other I do enjoy logging in from time to time and reliving old content. The diehard fanboys who throw money at Turbine no matter what keep the game alive and enable me to play for free (or with minimal investment if I opt for VIP) whenever I feel like it. In that light I should hope RoR sells well enough and just personally stay clear until it goes on sale some time in the future.

http://support.turbine.com/link/portal/24001/24001/Article/706/LOTRO-Riders-of-Rohan-FAQs

They have changed the FAQ somewhat.

Will there be an instance cluster released with the expansion?

There are no plans to release an instance cluster simultaneously with the expansion. However, an instance cluster is planned for release in a following update and will be free to players who have purchased the Rohan expansion.