LOTROCommunity

Codemasters next MMO

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I disagree. As with any other game "based on", the heroes of the mythos are not available for you to play. The obvious way of structuring the game would be to make player Gauls people who might be try

A Game of Thrones, although that franchise might be more suited to a big-scale strategy-game with lots armies and kings clashing etc, although I'd love to play a single toon mmo-style and roaming that world, plus it would be really cool to see The Wall in-game :)

If you were doing one on Game of Thrones, it might be better to call it A Song of Ice and Fire since that is the series of books the program is based on with the first one being called Game of Thrones

hmmmmmmmm a tough one this, how about...................Dizzy Online.

Been waiting for a Wheel of Time MMO for a while now,but i think EA has their hands on that last glance on the rumor mill.

Red Eagle Entertainment(or something like that)has the rights to films and games based on the Wheel of Time.

Not sure, but I think they signed a deal with someone last year, could've been EA.

Edit:

Yeah, the distribution deal is with EA, and they are partnered with Obsidian in development of games based on the Wheel of Time.

They're also making The Eye Of The World(the first book, for those who don't know) into a film.

Red Eagle Entertainment(or something like that)has the rights to films and games based on the Wheel of Time.

Not sure, but I think they signed a deal with someone last year, could've been EA.

Edit:

Yeah, the distribution deal is with EA, and they are partnered with Obsidian in development of games based on the Wheel of Time.

They're also making The Eye Of The World(the first book, for those who don't know) into a film.

I have the 1998 Wheel of Time PC game published by GT Interactive and Legend. It's "quite" good, but only based on the story as revealed in the first 3 books.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/wheel-of-time/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID8O0NEsYaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdIiQByjbAQ

Edit:

well thats good news for me atleast (just hope EA doesnt screw it up), book 5 onwards would be perfect for an MMO, plenty of classes and god knows there are plenty of quest-givers ( jordans major problem with his book, too many damn characters), big battles and a proper reason for magic.

Hmmm, the Wheel of Time series is one of the few I haven't read at all. So, tell me, are they a good read? Do they feel old and dated? I have recently acquired a Kindle, and the entire series is available, I am really tempted to give them a go. :Y

Hmmm, the Wheel of Time series is one of the few I haven't read at all. So, tell me, are they a good read? Do they feel old and dated? I have recently acquired a Kindle, and the entire series is available, I am really tempted to give them a go. :Y

Well with Book 13 just published (or should that be Book 12 Part 2?)and each book weighing in at around the 1000 page mark you have some reading to go. Book 14 (or is that Bk 12 Pt 3?) is due out soonish and will complete the story.

Unfortunately Robert Jordan died after writing book 11 and so the books are being finished (very well) by Brandon Sanderson. I found it all a bit heavy going from around about Book 6 -10 but it has really picked up again at the end.

I wouldn't say that they are dated at all, however they are not of the new "gritty" style of Joe Abercrombie and George RR Martin

All in all well worth a read but be prepared for some heavy going in the middle sections

WoT books can be a bit of a slog at times simply because Robert Jordan has a thing about over complicating his books and explaining in to much detail oh and repeating himself repeating himself repeat...., imagine if everytime aragorn is mentioned in the books if they used all his titles.

on the whole they are good books maybe not excellent,ive always found it to be a good balance between older style of writing and more modern with just the right mix of magic, might and an over abundence of strong female characters.

whether you like it or not is up to you, but the wheel weaves as the wheel weaves.

oh blood and bloody ashes listen to be go on, better have the dark ones own luck if you think you can stop me.

an over abundence of strong female characters

...who are all pretty much carbon copies of each other :D.

I think the series started as a pretty decent adventure story but it could as well have been compressed to about three volumes, the amount of filler is just staggering.

Been keeping an eye on the WoT MMO, but they're a bit silent on development atm. I'd also give my vote to a Discworld MMO if (and only if) the humour is assured to be as good as in the books ;) The little puzzler games they released a few years back were superb humour-wise _O_

I'm still hankering after a Firefly MMO, but as the series almost 10 years ago and the first attempt at an MMO failed, I fear that boat has finally sailed.

I'd like a Firefly MMO but like you said I think its unlikely. If SWTOR is sucessful, I'd also be quite keen on a Mass Effect MMO, but I think a lot will be dependent on how that turns out. (As a massive SW geek I'm hoping it turns out at least reasonably well).

I'm still hankering after a Firefly MMO, but as the series almost 10 years ago and the first attempt at an MMO failed, I fear that boat has finally sailed.

Would everyone have to run around saying everything is Shiney and would we have to learn Chinese

The Realm Online...oh hang on, they're already done that one. Anyone remember that?

Yep! Alpha/beta tested The Realm Online and stayed in it for 10 years after release. FYI, there *was* going to be a Realm 4 that was in development until Codemasters bought the game. Then everything got shifted to MEO.

Are you speaking of Dragon Empires or perhaps Jumpgate Evolution? ;)

I have been sacrificing many Naked Stroopwafels praying for a restart of Dragon Empires. For those who don't know what Dragon Empires was....read this site: http://dragonempires.info/

As for Jumpgate Evolution (JGE), that is tied up in a legal blackhole with Codemasters and Gazillion. And the original studio along with it's founders have been sacked! ><

Would everyone have to run around saying everything is Shiney and would we have to learn Chinese

Firefly just had that perfect magic for a television program. It was more about how the cast all bonded together and their different characters blended into a great offering for the fans. It was *too special* so Petty-People-in-Places-of-Power decided to kill it. The same mentality as those who brought "NGE" upon the world! ><

And to help you all learn Chinese IF a Firefly MMO were to appear, I give you this online game called ZON: http://enterzon.com/

MMOs I would like to see appear are based on: the books of Pern, the movie Avatar, the old Earth & Beyond MMO, the old Wing Commander series of games, and every Fantasy book series I've ever read! -)

TQQdles™,

Dolnor Numbwit

Eternal Newbie

Satine's Web Browser

I have been sacrificing many Naked Stroopwafels praying for a restart of Dragon Empires. For those who don't know what Dragon Empires was....read this site: http://dragonempires.info/

Oh, and I was hoping you would explain what Naked Stroopwafels are...

:+

I actually submitted a firefly MMO design idea about 5/6 years ago... even took the boss to see Serenity to explain it to him... for any browncoats, check out Castle Season 2 episode 5/6 (the halloween episode) for some nostalgia ;)

I actually submitted a firefly MMO design idea about 5/6 years ago... even took the boss to see Serenity to explain it to him... for any browncoats, check out Castle Season 2 episode 5/6 (the halloween episode) for some nostalgia ;)

I take it that that particular idea was vetoed?

Oh, an Asterix MMO would be interesting... But I think everybody would join the Gauls, the Romans would be so woefully underrepresented as they'd always get bashed into the air!