LOTROCommunity

Turbine now closing/deleting threads discussing other games

Actually I thought (perhaps wrongly, was on my way out the door to work and hurrying) that you were responding to remarks in the "Thank you Sapience for all our new users" thread.

A thousand pardons if that's not the case.

:)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A most unique car, as well as a helpful driving tip:

Sorry, but in my world, when someone is repeatedly incompetent, he gets warnings, and then he gets fired. It's up to HIM to think about HIS family and not act like an incompetent if he doesn't want th

Welcome to the forums, and to all the new posters here recently.

On this topic though, they are obviously running scared, they probably didn't lose as many as expected to SWTOR and some of those they did lose may have returned given how stale SWTOR has become recently. However with GW2 I think they geniuinly need to worry about whats going to happen, I haven't bought RoR because of the stupid price but also in part I think because I am considering GW2.

Hi and thank you for the welcome :)

I haven't and at this point don't plan on buying ROR. I cut my MMO teeth on GW1 and have been waiting since they first announced GW2 for it come out. Having experienced both BWE's now I can honestly say that GW2 is well worth the money and the wait.

*waves cheerfully*

Hi there! :)

Yes, even this "fanboy" got her hand slapped by Sapience for the very first time this week due to the GW2 controversy. I probably had it coming, though, I got a little carried away with the "kitten" metaphor and posted a link to THIS video:

In my post I'd said something to the effect that you should turn up your computer volume all the way while viewing it. Sapience scolded me in the infraction message by saying "the Charr theme makes it not at all subtle".

I wonder if he or someone there was silly enough to actually turn up the volume on their comp. Wish I could have been there.

:D

Hello :D

Anyone wanna bet how long this one lasts?

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?464978-Is-it-Fun

I can't help but note how carefully worded the OP is.

;)

It might last a little while just because the topic title doesn't contain the GW2 name in any form. But who knows....

• 3 weeks later...

Try going to Sainsbury's and talk In a loud voice about a great shop called Tesco. See how long you last there. Turbine do many things wrong IMHO this is not one of them.

PJ

Unless Sainbury's have an 'offtopic discussion' aisle, I don't see how your analogy works...

Try going to Sainsbury's and talk In a loud voice about a great shop called Tesco. See how long you last there. Turbine do many things wrong IMHO this is not one of them.

PJ

Completely and utterly pathetic attempt. My partner and I often talk fairly loudly about other supermarkets when we go shopping. No-one is ever going to come and tell people in supermarkets not to talk about other ones while in there. Are you for real?

PJ

Fanbois will be Fanbois...

If I discuss with my friends how good Tesco is while inside Sainsbury's, nobody will kick me out of the shop. That's what the off topic forum is all about. God forbid people talk about video games on the off topic forum... of a video game!

Thats such a bad analogy, I talk about how bad LOTRO is and how good GW2 is going to be while playing LOTRO and no ones kicked me out yet. Now if you talked about how good storeineverheardof is while in anotherstoreineverheardof's website that might be different.

I have done exactly that many times with friends and family, sometimes even when talking to an employee. So far, the issue has never been brought up at all, let alone gotten me kicked out as you say I would be.

Also, this is apparently a new rule change, but no part of the rules were visibly changed. It's almost as if the mods didn't enforce any written rules at all, but chose violations based on a "secret word of the day" policy.

I have done exactly that many times with friends and family, sometimes even when talking to an employee. So far, the issue has never been brought up at all, let alone gotten me kicked out as you say I would be.

Also, this is apparently a new rule change, but no part of the rules were visibly changed. It's almost as if the mods didn't enforce any written rules at all, but chose violations based on a "secret word of the day" policy.

This. After Sapience barked at me I went carefully over the LOTRO forums CoC to see if there was some rule I'd broken. There isn't. I chose not to pursue the matter any further because there's no real reason I should; no harm was done to me, and in the long run it's not going to make a difference.

Another thing I did was study several other gaming forums to see who allows such discussions and who doesn't (Blizz does, for example). Since the GW2 forums are closed (except when there's a beta on) and still being developed, I wasn't sure about them and was curious enough to email them inquiring about whether discussions of other games are going to be allowed on their official forums. So far, only silence has been my answer. Take that for what you will.

Oh, and the store analogy does not hold water, I fear. I work for the largest retailer in the world and not only can customers come in talking about other stores, they will bend over backwards to beat what their competitors offer to keep those customers coming back.

;)

PJ

Hey I even used Tesco bags in Sainsbury's and they didn't kick me out! :P

Completely and utterly pathetic attempt. My partner and I often talk fairly loudly about other supermarkets when we go shopping. No-one is ever going to come and tell people in supermarkets not to talk about other ones while in there. Are you for real?

Excuse me? Pathetic attempt at what? I just put what my thoughts were on this topic. I made it clear it was IMHO as in my opinion which I am entitled to am I not? You might not agree but i am entitled to my opinion so no need for rudeness.

I can just see Turbine's point of view, why advertise the competition?

PJ

Excuse me? Pathetic attempt at what? I just put what my thoughts were on this topic. I made it clear it was IMHO as in my opinion which I am entitled to am I not? You might not agree but i am entitled to my opinion so no need for rudeness.

PJ

Well there's a difference between Turbine advertising competition and their customers talking about the competition. With your analogy, people can go into Sainsbury's and talk about how much cheaper or better something in Tescos is. They tend to try to compete with other stores anyway, so they don't need to act like a fascist state and delete all mention of competition (in fact, they openly say how much cheaper they are than other supermarkets in their adverts).

I just put what my thoughts were on this topic. I made it clear it was IMHO as in my opinion which I am entitled to am I not?

There's a difference between an opinion and a false fact. Your example of being kicked out of a store for talking about the competition is verifiably false, and you only posted to justify your opinion regarding Turbine's enforcement against imaginary TOS violations.

...you only posted...

Because he's just as entitled to do so as the rest of you. His analogy may be lousy, but there seems to be a coded assumption on the part of several of you that he is a "fanboy", "trolling", and is therefore, somehow, fair game for a verbal kicking. Whether the assumption is correct or not, he's quite right to complain of the obnoxiousness of tone. In more than the one reply he picked out, I might add.

Pack it in, please!

PJ

Why worry about the competition? unless you are worried about them taking your players away from you. If your game is good, you should not have to worry about competition. Now if you don't think your game is that good or you know you are making a mess of things, then you need to worry about the competition.

Why worry about the competition? unless you are worried about them taking your players away from you. If your game is good, you should not have to worry about competition. Now if you don't think your game is that good or you know you are making a mess of things, then you need to worry about the competition.

I take the middle ground on this issue, really. You are correct that a company shouldn't worry about posts regarding their competition on their Off-Topic forum, unless the company in question is worried about said competition. But at the same time, often discussions regarding competing games turn into threads bashing the primary product, and just serve to tear down the game and the community. It isn't productive to allow that on your game's forum.

That all said, I think Turbine has probably been a bit heavy-handed regarding posts in Off-topic regarding their competition, but I also think they have good reason to worry. GW2 will smack them pretty hard, as it will draw a lot of PvP-focused players from pretty much every fantasy MMO on the market, plus some other games (like SWTOR). The game I see turbine really having to worry about is "The Secret World", to be honest, as it's deep storyline is easily a match for LOTRO's epic questline and then some. Turbine's big calling cards for LOTRO has always been that it allows us to play in Middle Earth, and the epic storyline. Any game that can come out with a better storyline than LOTRO (like TSW does), is going to put pressure on Turbine to step things up.

the epic storyline. Any game that can come out with a better storyline than LOTRO

Any & every game ought to be able to come up with a better storyline than LotRO. I know that there are people who do enjoy the epic quests, but I cannot believe that anyone thinks the epic storyline is a serious draw for the game. It is clumsy at best, badly written at best, riddled with deus ex machina and, quite frankly, rubbish. I have to grit my teeth to get through it every time there's a new release. It wasn't too bad on original release, but every book that's been created since just gets worse & worse!

The reforging of Narsil is still the best quest line in lotro. And it's not even part of the epic quests!

For the rest, I am always disappointed to see that rangers are such loosers, always stunned, charmed or simply dead. Tolkien managed to keep everyone in the fellowship alive (with the exception of Borromir, who was on the brink of evil), while Turbine is littering our path with bodies.

Any & every game ought to be able to come up with a better storyline than LotRO. I know that there are people who do enjoy the epic quests, but I cannot believe that anyone thinks the epic storyline is a serious draw for the game. It is clumsy at best, badly written at best, riddled with deus ex machina and, quite frankly, rubbish. I have to grit my teeth to get through it every time there's a new release. It wasn't too bad on original release, but every book that's been created since just gets worse & worse!

The SoA storyline was okay...not stunning, but acceptable. What they're doing to the overall character of the DĂșnedain (and now the Rohirrim, apparently) is a travesty. And don't get me started on Elrond's son Leeroy.

:)

I take the middle ground on this issue, really. You are correct that a company shouldn't worry about posts regarding their competition on their Off-Topic forum, unless the company in question is worried about said competition. But at the same time, often discussions regarding competing games turn into threads bashing the primary product, and just serve to tear down the game and the community. It isn't productive to allow that on your game's forum.

I agree that these threads sometimes fall into the game bashing that you speak of. But I am not sure how much of this is read by the normal forum community. Nor how much of an effect it has on them. If it worries them that much, why not just let the posters know that they are very close to crossing the line and temp forum bans may be handed out. Don't threaten to close the thread or just close it. That always leads to posters both pro and anti Turbine) trying to get it closed.

Turbine's big calling cards for LOTRO has always been that it allows us to play in Middle Earth, and the epic storyline. Any game that can come out with a better storyline than LOTRO (like TSW does), is going to put pressure on Turbine to step things up.

Some of ToR's storylines are far better than what LOTRO has been doing lately and told in a unique manner. I have been catching up on some of the epics I've already done on other toons in LOTRO lately and wishing there was a space bar as in ToR to skip the dialog. ToR has 8 storylines, LOTRO has one once you leave the starter areas, does TSW have 1 or 3? I didn't notice much difference between factions once you left the starter area, quests are exactly the same, hell you quest right along with opposing factions, unless that changed on live.

ToR didn't hurt LOTRO all that much and I doubt TSW will either.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Turbine have deleted the latest GW2 thread. I wonder what exscuse they'll give for that? They are making it so obvious that they are worried about the game.

They should be. GW2 won't kill LOTRO (Turbine is doing a great job of that on their own), but it is competition, especially on the PvP front. GW2 basically gives you a Lifetime subscription for just the cost of the game itself, and while they have an in-game Store, it doesn't bleed you dry like the LOTRO Store seems designed to do. Everyone I personally know that still plays MMOs is buying GW2 (except for my wife, who is happy with Rift alone), and not one of them aside from me will play LOTRO. Not one. While that is still a small sample group, I believe it is indicative of the sort of problems Turbine faces in the coming months.