LOTROCommunity

I love these games going F2P. It just means I can play it and never pay them for it. What do I care if I get a limited game for free if I've never known what full access is to begin with?

I'm not going to say I told you so, but we already have a on this topic. ;)

Now if you could just give me this Saturdays lottery numbers...

I remember posting back on the old CM forum that all MMO companies would be watching Turbine to see how LOTRO did after it went F2P and that I would be surprised if many would not follow if the income from F2P went up. In fact I would be surprised if many future MMOs dont go for this hybrid model from the off.

I remember posting back on the old CM forum that all MMO companies would be watching Turbine to see how LOTRO did after it went F2P and that I would be surprised if many would not follow if the income from F2P went up. In fact I would be surprised if many future MMOs dont go for this hybrid model from the off.

It certainly resembles the Turbine model

http://www.swtor.com/free

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

"Cartel Coins" instead of Turbine points and other similarities

I've just posted on my guild forum that I will give Bioware a chance but seriously, whats the point? The growth of the store and decline in content for subscribers is as inevitable as night following day.

I've just posted on my guild forum that I will give Bioware a chance but seriously, whats the point? The growth of the store and decline in content for subscribers is as inevitable as night following day.

The decline in content will be tied to the multiple layoffs. The change to F2P is merely a coincidence. I wouldn't hold out much hope for the store. EA already has a bad record on this matter, including one of it's titles (FIFA) being the most likely reason for Xbox Live accounts being hacked. Like I said in another thread, when it's F2P I'll try it out to see what it's like but I'm not going to pay for. Maybe it will offer a nice break from GW2 every once in awhile.

I am looking forward to play it a little more.

It wasn't worth a subscription for me since I don't have much play time. It's not that I liked it a lot but it was cute enough.

I'll have to see what it turns out like, but I'm not sure how much I'm going to be playing this.

Hybrid it looks like. At least I'll get Cartel Points. If it's from every month since december till it hits, ok, I'm good with that. I think my game time runs out in december or something like that.

In fact, I'll go check that.

Supposedly, I've got 138 days left of playtime.

Already raised a complaint regarding their past advice to me. They got an extra three months' sub out of me based on a falsehood. Sound familiar? ;)

Nice to see Bioware are right from the outset keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to F2P duplicity. F2P developers just can't stay honest, can they? Good thing I kept hold of those past emails they sent me.

Ah well. Another MMO done and done. I'm starting to feel that I might be about finished with MMOs entirely, due to nothing more than the way the market is headed.

Maybe I'll give TSW a go first, though. :)

Why, what did they tell you?

The usual 'not going F2P' spiel. The quote is on the other SWTOR F2P thread if you're interested enough to check it out. It's late and I can't be bothered fishing out the email again now. :)

Oh nice... gotta check out my hard drive space. ^^ I did enjoy the game but I wasn't going to buy it and pay a continuous sub.

Wow. I kinda figured EA would take it F2P eventually, maybe in 2013 or 2014, but not this soon. But in this week's podcast, I added Troll feature where I basically said SWTOR was going F2P, implying it was going to happen any day now.

Didn't expect to be right on that.

Oh, well. It's a decent game, and it certainly has some fun differences from other MMOs, but I didn't see it as a viable "Next Gen" MMO, which is too bad, because Star Wars and KOTOR are both franchises you would think would carry a major sub-based MMO for years to come.

Wow. I kinda figured EA would take it F2P eventually, maybe in 2013 or 2014, but not this soon. But in this week's podcast, I added Troll feature where I basically said SWTOR was going F2P, implying it was going to happen any day now.

So your Troll Feature became world exclusive breaking news? Congrats! This is right up there with EA's statements like "Massive sales devalue our IP" which came a few weeks before massive sales.

So your Troll Feature became world exclusive breaking news? Congrats! This is right up there with EA's statements like "Massive sales devalue our IP" which came a few weeks before massive sales.

No, I was just joking about it, and the next day the news broke. I found that kinda funny.

"We're not going F2P"

"Oh, actually now we are"

"Subscribers will get 'free' points to spend on 'convenience' items in the store"

Why oh why do I feel like I've heard this tune before?

Seriously I think I may be coming to the end of my days of playing MMO's. I have deep-seated issues with any game that offers advantage via microtransactions and all the ones I'm interested in playing seem to be heading down that track. I'm just waiting for GW2 to push over that line as well (and it hasn't even launched yet).

I guess ultimately I'm getting to old for this shit....

Seriously I think I may be coming to the end of my days of playing MMO's. I have deep-seated issues with any game that offers advantage via microtransactions and all the ones I'm interested in playing seem to be heading down that track. I'm just waiting for GW2 to push over that line as well (and it hasn't even launched yet).

I guess ultimately I'm getting to old for this shit....

I have faith in ArenaNet not to go down the P2W road with GW2, since they didn't do that with GW1, and GW2 is using pretty much the same model GW1 did. Also, there are several games that are F2P that don't go P2W, Champions Online, for example, and they are chugging along just fine selling costumes and other fluff in their store.

Not every game will follow the dark road LOTRO has taken.

Back in March i already knew the game is a huge fail and will not last for long as a sub based only game. Many were arguing...

@Edit: suddenly every single fanboy on SW:TOR forums is giving LOTRO as an example of how positive for the game it is to move to F2P... They say LOTRO is lively, thriving and has loads of players... hmm i must be playing a different game. I forgot my pw for my forum account there so maybe someone from here should post there all gthose graphs showing a steady decline of log ins here? And in general to explain that moving to F2P leads to everything beeing in the store for payment with points?

I'm happy.

Will finish all 8 of my class stories now.

Thats pretty much the most interesting and best part of SWTOR, I think that may be the problem.

@Edit: suddenly every single fanboy on SW:TOR forums is giving LOTRO as an example of how positive for the game it is to move to F2P... They say LOTRO is lively, thriving and has loads of players... hmm i must be playing a different game. I forgot my pw for my forum account there so maybe someone from here should post there all gthose graphs showing a steady decline of log ins here? And in general to explain that moving to F2P leads to everything beeing in the store for payment with points?

No point, fanboys are the same the world over. I saw someone try yesterday and they were shot down and made to look like they didn't know what they were talking about. The SWTOR forums are not a good place to be honest, the trolls and fanboys took over a long time ago.

No point, fanboys are the same the world over. I saw someone try yesterday and they were shot down and made to look like they didn't know what they were talking about. The SWTOR forums are not a good place to be honest, the trolls and fanboys took over a long time ago.

True.

Never ever posted a single letter there. I value the company I keep. :)

Seems sub numbers have dropped below 1 million, hence the decision to switch to F2P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19077238