LOTROCommunity

Update 3 Coming Soon.

Thorebane

550TP each and you have to still use a removal scroll if you deconstruct. That is a nice way to make a lot of money. They are allready in the ebstseller lists.

exactly this is the reason why I won't use them (it wouldn't be that much of a problem if I still could get them out when deconning tho!) and which makes me think of going to play another mmo, despite being an lta user and getting my 500tp per month. The question that goes on in my mind is for how long we will get the "free points" (also for deeds) though.

Honestly, with this move, putting these relics into the shop has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I can't even express it. Only thing for sure is: I won't shell out any cent towards them anymore. Over and done. Someone so greedy doesn't deserve the hard earned euros from my husband. :(

They're in the bestseller list because Turbine put them there. They were in that list from the start. The best seller list isn't populated by what actually sells, it's populated by what Turbine wants you to buy.

• Upvote 1

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?396285-New-Store-Only-Relics

The other thread was merged into that one, I think (at least, starting with page 3, the subject line reads "Turbine has crossed the line").

Interesting read, by the way.

Yeah, they merged it and buried it in the store subforum. They'll probably wait for this to blow over a bit and then delete the thread entirely. I haven't been posting over there much, but I jumped into that thread. Screw 'em if they ban me. So what?

The link in that thread to the excerpt from the Turbine Keynote at PAX East over at Casual Stroll to Mordor is most interesting. It gives a great deal of insight into where Turbine is headed and the justification for it.

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/2011/03/episode-78a/

As MueR pointed out, so much for the "conveniences, not advantages". It appears that was never the plan and was probably first used to quell the internal dissatisfaction at Turbine itself. Of course, the employees then passed it on to the player community (as was also probably planned).

But, at PAX East they let the cat out of the bag. At least, that's how I read it.

But, at PAX East they let the cat out of the bag. At least, that's how I read it.

Yes, that's how I understand it as well. I mean, that whole stuff about "the players say they will leave but they won't" is stupid. Yes, we might not leave. But we're also not happy customers and how's that good for the future of a game? *sigh*

Yes, we might not leave. But we're also not happy customers and how's that good for the future of a game? *sigh*

That's exactly how I feel too. I like the game, but the more they do stunts like this one the harder it becomes.. somehow.

Btw, on Facebook people express their concerns too as it seems. I wonder for how long the postings will stay there tho, will be interesting to watch 8)

oh dear...

I am in this game until Mordor, looks like The Suffering maybe fighting The Darklord alone ;)

Either way this happens you have to see the margins of profit increase for the suppliers and the hassles increase for the loyal players...

I do not see a happy out come to this and even with my 500TP's a month I have ZERO points left currently the new Mount for 168% speed and buying the riding skill for a few low level bank toons and alts nailed them....

Lets hope we still have a game that goes to Mordor....

Yes, that's how I understand it as well. I mean, that whole stuff about "the players say they will leave but they won't" is stupid. Yes, we might not leave. But we're also not happy customers and how's that good for the future of a game? *sigh*

Exactly. As I said over there:

He points out that many of the players didn't like it, but they didn't quit. I guess that's the bottom line. However, I wonder how many of them were still telling their friends, "OMG, I've been playing this really great game..."

Word of mouth marketing has to count for something. Sure, revenue increased immediately, but how long did it last? I don't have access to the actual numbers, so I guess I am just blowing smoke. But, it seems to me that happy customers are something any business should strive for. Especially if they are in it for the long term.

I think any company that doesn't give a rat's fart about how their customers feel is headed in the wrong direction. And, if this moron's presentation at PAX East is any indication (and it must have been signed off on by the powers that be at Turbine), that is exactly the direction Turbine is headed in. It explains so much - how they moderate their forums, lieing to keep their customers appeased in the short term, why they consistently ignore questions and complaints, etc. etc.

It really does seem to be coming down to this: Screw how the customer feels. Let's make money now.

Morons. All of them. Honestly. That approach cannot possibly take us all the way to Mordor, can it? Maybe I'm wrong.

But, a significant problem with that approach is that it leaves them wide open to their competition. Any company that shows a modicum of respect for their customers will draw players away like flies to honey (RIFT, anyone?).

IMHO

We might not leave, not right away. Lifetimers certainly have a chance to not spend a dime more (I sure won't give T a dime at this rate). I hope people realize that the Store Exlusive junk is not necessary - nice tho some of it is - to play the game fully. I'm not even convinced anymore that the gain from the very best gear (Store or grind in-game) gives a player such a huge improvement over next best gear. PVP between players is nothing but sparring and hardest content is hard for everyone and requires more know-how than über gear. Perfectionists correct me here.

I haven't found myself lacking anything except time to play.......... and grind and grind.. or just have fun and perfect my characters to the limit that suits me.

just for my understanding ... what kind of stuff is being sold that is necessary to play the game? I don't like the 'scroll of removal' as well ... but I've got so many relics that I absolutely have no need for such a scroll (and I am an average player ... max 10 to 15 hrs a week ... but I played some instances in the last weeks ... in those you get loads and loads of relics ...)

I still see no items I really need to play the game. What kind of items do you mean?

what they mean is that the player voted on relics have made it into the shop. you no longer get the relics back every 10 levels as you level your LI so you then have to spend yet more points to get the relic back. it's an endless circle which is why I, for one, will not be purchasing any relics at all. I'm not rich like Turbine thinks it's players are

I can't see a time when I will say "this LI is *the* one, I'll get the best relics for this one." There'll always be a better one, if new content and higher level caps don't stop coming. So far I have spend TP's for shared storage and wardrobe, few (5 I think) cosmetic items. I suppose some of those saved points could well be spent on relics and scrolls.. but I'm against the concept of these Store exlusive items.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North is getting my money. 3 player co-op action RPG (?) in Middle-Earth setting. I'm not even too concerned on the Lore, as Lotro bent the rules on that already.