LOTROCommunity
Spidey

GW2 Impressions

So whats everyone think now that its live?

So far I'm head over heels in love with this game, very much like I was 5 years ago with LOTRO. Never had this feeling with Aion, Rift, or ToR, I thought maybe it was a feeling I would get only once since LOTRO was my first MMO.

I love just the pleasure of exploring again and the scenery is magnificent, maybe better than any other game I have played. I haven't noticed any copy and paste archetecture or scenery.

Crafting is pretty nice. There could be more vaults available though, but crafting tables can be used as vault access also. I may have to upgrade just to get the golem banker.

I seem to run out of quests in relationship to the storyline, story quests seem to jump by 3 levels, but that may be just noobness on my part.

WvWvW is a pita to get in to, always in queues and its hard to get in the same zones as your friends. Maybe they need overflow servers just for WvWvW. Hopefully this gets adressed at some point.

Seems my server has its share of asshats, but I also see many in chat not letting them have their way. I didn't notice it in beta. Hopefully, they get bored and go back to where ever. So far the community seems more than tolerable :)

I'm enjoying myself, but so far I've not been blown away by anything. Several things I wish were there, like the cosmetic system Lotro has and of course the music system which I don't expect in any game. I like the crafting, but I'm not very far in it. The storyline quests seem really hard to solo, I've basically been killing each mob one at a time between my deaths. haha. But the rest seems fun. I joined a guild and pretty much haven't been in the main chat channels since.

I enjoyed it immensely. The exploration value alone is enough to justify my purchase, but the dynamic events and questing makes the PvE a joy to play. I only found one thing that annoyed me, and it was just a trifling thing: The free memorial cosmetic hat. It's a black baseball-style cap with the red GW2 logo above the bill, which looks ridiculous in a fantasy setting like Tyria. I simply don't wear it, and wish I had payed better attention to its description before I picked it up from the Store, because otherwise I would not have wasted my time.

But other than that, things have been great. Now to be fair, this hasn't been the smoothest MMO launch I have ever seen, lots of people having errors (including myself here or there), servers coming up and down for maintenance, and I even found one Skill Challenge that flat-out doesn't work at all (bugged it). The Secret World and Rift both had much smoother launches that GW2, but overall things have been fun as hell.

I'm enjoying myself, but so far I've not been blown away by anything. Several things I wish were there, like the cosmetic system Lotro has and of course the music system which I don't expect in any game. I like the crafting, but I'm not very far in it. The storyline quests seem really hard to solo, I've basically been killing each mob one at a time between my deaths. haha. But the rest seems fun. I joined a guild and pretty much haven't been in the main chat channels since.

They do have a cosmetic outfit system, being your Town Clothes, you can find this in your Hero panel.

I am having a lot of fun. I love that you can level up via crafting, it is great if you are a little low and need a boost.

Some of the story quests are very hard and require an awful lot of kiting to have any chance of surviving.

I wouldnt upgrade for the golem banker as it only lasts 5 days

Haven't played it myself (my girlfriend went into MMO mode and hasn't been off the computer since this morning) but from what I've heard and seen it's amazing. Scenery is epic, the gameplay has been fun, the encounter system was good (though can be distracting, since it took over an hour to finally do some 'collect medicine' quest because she felt she couldn't just ignore them) and classes are nice from what I've seen.

The only problems so far have been these overflow servers (not even the proper day of release and she's spent more time in an overflow than on the actual server). Seems to have resulted in her being surrounded by pesky germans, meaning she didn't understand anyone.

Been playing since Saturday and I am still only level 13 or so, I keep getting destracted with different things to look at. I love that exploration, questing, crafting all give xp so you never feel you are wasting any time on a task.

Spent a lot of time today in structured PvP with some guild mates and enjoyed it although they did get a bit repetative, it all seems to be capture and hold control points which is fine but I found myself wanting something with some other objective \ mechanic.

WvWvW queues have been too long although I have had a brief look at it, looks fun enough but I need to try it some more I think

The world itself is awesome and just highlights one of the major flaws of SWTOR, it feels alive, NPCs talking, wondering about and little scenes being acted out all over the place, SWTORs planets feel so flat in comparison.

I'm really enjoying it, I can see me playing it for a long time to come.

Somebody actually got all the way to 80 on crafting alone (just how they managed to gather all the materials is beyond me). Anet is "investigating" the issue.

As funny as it sounds, I like that the dodge system is forcing me to rethink game combat. I'm far too used to the game doing my evasion for me, it's satisfying to figure it out on your own.

;)

Aside from hickups involving the overflow servers, I've been having fun.

Spent a lot of time today in structured PvP with some guild mates and enjoyed it although they did get a bit repetative, it all seems to be capture and hold control points which is fine but I found myself wanting something with some other objective \ mechanic.

I hadn't tried this in any of the stress tests, but my boyfriend and I were disappointed with this. We didn't know you wouldn't be able to play with each other when you joined a game. We were put on opposite teams and he was even transferred to some other game before the one we were in was finished. You say you did this with guild mates... how? I was hoping the system would be like Rift or Swtor's: queue together and get put on the same team.

Piken Square is easy enough to get into for WvW... though geez, us and another server are being absolutely pwnd by the 3rd server. They had at one point all but one tower on the whole map. Not much organisation yet and a few of us kept getting zerged by like 20ish players. Not fun to have no chance. :/

I'm enjoying exploring. The human starter area is pretty, especially the swamps at night, but today we just got into Kessex Hills and it's absolutely gorgeous. I'm enjoying combat plenty, there's enough to do, though I find it disappointing when an event will also finish a heart for you. It makes me feel like I've missed out!

Yeah, we weren't all always on the same team

That's a function of sPvP, where the players in a particular match are balanced between the two teams. So you can never guarantee if you'll be on the same team if you queue with someone, because they might be put on the other team to keep the numbers balanced. And even if you are on the same team, if two from the other side drop out, one of you might be moved to the other team to keep numbers balanced.

WvWvW is much better for playing with friends and guildies, but also much more frenetic and chaotic. If you're into small-team PvP, sPvP is great and balanced, but you have to take the bad with the good.

Still don't understand how other games can manage to keep friends together but GW can't?

I know it's just the beginning but WvW isn't fun right now. One server has complete control of the map. It was even completely reset and with a couple of hours again they had the whole map. I guess it's a server with much higher population. On mine, there doesn't seem to be any larger groups of people running around, instead a few here and there who then run into a group of 20ish enemies... steamrolling then commences. A friend and I spent more time running around searching for others to group up with than actual fighting and when the fighting did happen it was over very quickly.

So yeah, I'm very much wanting a Rift or Swtor war front in regards to this.

Until there are a few WvW match ups done, it's going to be a little imbalanced for a while. Basically there will be a rating system for the servers where the bigger, better WvW servers will go up against one another and the smaller, less PvP minded servers will end up facing off. It'll take a few weeks for that to start sorting itself out though.

Still don't understand how other games can manage to keep friends together but GW can't?

I know it's just the beginning but WvW isn't fun right now. One server has complete control of the map. It was even completely reset and with a couple of hours again they had the whole map. I guess it's a server with much higher population. On mine, there doesn't seem to be any larger groups of people running around, instead a few here and there who then run into a group of 20ish enemies... steamrolling then commences. A friend and I spent more time running around searching for others to group up with than actual fighting and when the fighting did happen it was over very quickly.

So yeah, I'm very much wanting a Rift or Swtor war front in regards to this.

I think you have really been unlucky here. WvW on the server I am on (Desolation) seems to be fairly evenly matched, we were leading until yesterday when one of the other servers took the lead.

As JRonnie said, give it a few weeks so that servers can be rated and matched up more accurately. Perhaps one solution in your situation could be for the 2 losing servers to team up together against the bigger one?

As to this, in other games your pre-made group of 5 or whatever will face up against a pug group of 5 and 2 will drop out from that pug and you will then faceroll them. Here when the 2 drop out the sides will be balanced meaning 1 of your side will join the opposition. Personally I quite like this for the more casual sPvP

If you want more team vs team sPvP you should try tournaments.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP#Tournaments

Here is where you set up your team of 5 and play against another team of 5. From what I can tell tournaments seem less popular at the moment but I imagine will grow as guilds get more organised.

So how's the lag on the server you all are on? The lag in WvW has been as bad as I've seen in the Moors when you get more than 1 raid vs 1 raid... yet there didn't seem to be *that* many people. Maybe 10-15 each side. Then last night I was getting some bad lag whilst pveing. Mobs would suddenly transport a little ways or when I was right on top of a mob (or so I thought) I was getting all misses.

As for the pvp, I'm not good enough for tournaments. I just want to hop into some quick stuff like I did in Rift/Swtor. I never noticed any huge balance issues.

Lag last night was really bad in PvE but it was the first time I had really noticed it. I actually ended up staying on the overflow server as there was no lag there!

We now have an annoying bug where no one in our guild can talk in guild chat or queue upgrades.

Whilst I really am enjoying the game, far more than any other MMO I have tried in recent years, it hasn't exactly been the smoothest release although its not the worst either.

Cant say I have noticed any lag when I have been playing, but was not on last night.

Just got to Lion Arch and wow it is fantastic looking.

Is everyone else a completionist going around a map getting all the way points, vistas, skill points, POI and doing the heart quests or is that just me

Cant say I have noticed any lag when I have been playing, but was not on last night.

Just got to Lion Arch and wow it is fantastic looking.

Is everyone else a completionist going around a map getting all the way points, vistas, skill points, POI and doing the heart quests or is that just me

I'm not getting any lag to speak of either, I have seen my toon "ice skating" at times, but skills are still firing.

I'm not a completionist, but its so rewarding in GW2 that I turned into one. Just got 2 of the borderlands completed this morning on my Mesmer.

As for some of the technical issues, IMO GW2 is getting hit hard by hackers and I have heard there are people botting. The ban hammer is going to be hitting the botters hard.

Doing exactly the same as you Cossie. It's an enjoyable experience, to be honest and i've always been a bit of a completionist. It's so much better than LOTRO's deed system, I have often sat in game wanting to pull my hair out when grinding for deeds.

As far as lag goes, in the 5 or so days i've had to play the game i've not had any lag that I can recall. That's both in PvE and WvW. As others have said it's not the smoothest launch in MMO history, but i'm thoroughly enjoying the game so far and it's been one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences i've had. Up there with LOTRO during 2007-08.

Yes, and I have never been like that before, here though I just can't finish with a region until I have finished it all! That may change on alts but I'm really enjoying the exploration at the moment.

As to the lag I was getting yesterday, it was really bad but it only occured in Gendarran Fields, it happened to everyone in the region simultaneously and fairly frequantly for a good couple of hours but other regions seemed unaffected. Not that big a deal though, I haven't had any since

I'm not getting any lag to speak of either, I have seen my toon "ice skating" at times, but skills are still firing.

That's what I'm experiencing in pve as well.. that and the mobs transporting themselves a few feet away. It only started last night. I was in Queensdale at the time, though I started getting it off and on in Kessex Hills today.

The guild bug has been happening off and on as well. Today we could talk but there was a minute or so delay before things actually showed up in chat.

I was a completionist in Lotro so it's not surprising I'm doing that in this game as well. I've gotten a few of the jumping puzzles done as well. They're both fun and infuriating! :P

No this hasn't been the smoothest launch which is a bit disappointing giving all the stress testing they did and how they knew they were going to have lots of people, but I'm not too bothered by it I suppose because the company is doing an excellent job of communicating and keeping people up to date. They appear to really value their customers which is a refreshing change. I'm typing here now because there's a new build and I've not been able to log back on. Some people are moaning about that, but personally, I'm happy they're getting stuff fixed unlike some other company's who's game we all have played. ;):P

After a patch yesterday guild chat appears to be working for us again. I can't say I noticed any serious lag last night. WvWvW queues are still very long (over an hour for me yesterday evening) which is frustrating and makes it very difficult to get a guild group together in there, hopefully something can be done.

After a patch yesterday guild chat appears to be working for us again. I can't say I noticed any serious lag last night. WvWvW queues are still very long (over an hour for me yesterday evening) which is frustrating and makes it very difficult to get a guild group together in there, hopefully something can be done.

Which server are you on? Wv3 queues are becoming a big issue for us on Jade Quarry. We are predominately a PvP guild so not being able to get in to Wv3 at all, let alone together is a problem. We are considering transferring to a less populated server, but for now taking a wait and see approach.

Desolation, which may have been a mistake! (waits for Raedwulf to come and say "I told you so").

We also are going to wait and see what happens.

Desolation, which may have been a mistake! (waits for Raedwulf to come and say "I told you so").

I told you so. Happy now? ;)

Somebody actually got all the way to 80 on crafting alone (just how they managed to gather all the materials is beyond me).

Apparently his guildies spammed him the materials. Still sounds utterly pointless to me. He's French, incidentally.

Err... Oh yes, I've been enjoying it so much that I haven't even bothered to visit here. ;) Which some of you may see as a good thing! :P