LOTROCommunity
Spidey

GW2 Impressions

I've started vendoring everything as I can't decide whether I want to waste money on crafting at the moment. :P Plus I was having a hard time progressing as I picked two crafts that needed all the totems, vials of blood, etc. I ran out of them far too fast and would get stuck. I wish they'd increase the drops on those just a little bit!

I've been able to make more money vendoring stuff and then buying cheap weapons and armour on the TP. Now later this may not work out. Who knows. I'm of two minds when it comes to crafting since it seems there's not any money to be made on it except for selling low level mats, but I do like being self sufficient... but I want to not be poor. :P

edit: I don't think I'd have this problem if in game gold didn't translate to real money, ie gems. It's making me more bothered when I die or irritated by the increasing travel costs given I know around 1 gold-ish could buy me a new character slot.

edit: I don't think I'd have this problem if in game gold didn't translate to real money, ie gems. It's making me more bothered when I die or irritated by the increasing travel costs given I know around 1 gold-ish could buy me a new character slot.

Cooking works out pretty cheap, most of the stuff you need can be bought for Karma from the crafting vendor and sellers dotted around various maps ( provided you've completed the appropriate heart quest ). The top tier crafted food is very useful, I mainly use the +magic find food. I chose artificer for my other prof which was much more expensive to get to 400.

I wouldn't sweat too much about travel costs, once you get to 80 you'll make around 1g per hour without too much trouble, I've gone for +magic find on most of my items which helps with the decent drops and adds about 50 silver per hour approx to the drop rate by my reckoning. Completing the higher levels maps awards around 1.5g of stuff for each completed map also so it soon mounts up. I've started turning my gold into gems to purchase the +50 magic find for 1 hr from the store, they seem to more than pay for themselves.

You can find plus magic food in the TP pretty cheap... cherry tarts I think they are?

You say you can make around 1g per hour at cap... is that from events or are you still doing hearts? I'm just wondering about sustainable money making once we've done all hearts/exploration achievements. In Lotro I seemed to make money from just raiding/instancing.. a surprising amount actually. But dungeons are money sinks for me at the moment in GW due to all the dying. :P

You can find plus magic food in the TP pretty cheap... cherry tarts I think they are?

You say you can make around 1g per hour at cap... is that from events or are you still doing hearts? I'm just wondering about sustainable money making once we've done all hearts/exploration achievements. In Lotro I seemed to make money from just raiding/instancing.. a surprising amount actually. But dungeons are money sinks for me at the moment in GW due to all the dying. :P

I finished the heart quests in all the end zones a few days ago, that's when the money started rolling in, I made almost nothing whilst doing the heart quests. I haven't actually touched dungeons or PvP yet ( apart from about 5 mins in PvP ). Doing boss events doesn't actually give much money I've found ( except the dragon in the 70-80 Ice Zone ) which drops some really good stuff in the chest which usually nets around 80s or so on the TP. The things I make the money on is either generally just running around killing things in the lvl 80 zone while collecting ore ( one orichalcum? node is worth about 11s alone ) and doing the events there that involve lots of waves of mobs. Tag as many as possible and the drops roll in. The food I generally use is the peach tarts which gives +28 magic find ( there is a +40 omnomberry pie but only under the effect of a boon so i stick to the peach tarts ), as well as having the set of 6 superior runes of the pirate, which gives an extra +25% magic find, and +3 magic on each of my jewelry. I usually get 1 or 2 yellow drops per hour doing mob events and killing stuff with this build which sell for around 20-30s each, plus the crafting drops and ore, it soon adds up :D

Last night I was helping a couple of guildies with heart quests in Gendarran Fields, and I realized as we rambled around it was just like old LOTRO times...nearly my entire LOTRO kin is playing now, and loving it.

:)

Last night I was helping a couple of guildies with heart quests in Gendarran Fields, and I realized as we rambled around it was just like old LOTRO times...nearly my entire LOTRO kin is playing now, and loving it.

It's much the same with me, but in my case it is my old WoW guild that is playing together again in GW2. Good times being had by all, I really missed playing with those folks.

I'm jealous. :P There's only a few Lotro people I know playing and they're spread out amongst guilds, so I'm in an extremely quiet guild and largely do things by myself. I'm loving the game and really want to be doing more group stuff, but am hesitant in trying to start over and find a new guild.

I'm jealous. :P There's only a few Lotro people I know playing and they're spread out amongst guilds, so I'm in an extremely quiet guild and largely do things by myself. I'm loving the game and really want to be doing more group stuff, but am hesitant in trying to start over and find a new guild.

Which server are you on? The Elders of Tyria (OLD) on Desolation have shitloads of LOTRO players.

I would not get my hopes high of you not being a Tree-Hugger though...:(

.....(insert emotes) ;) ;)

There are a few LOTRO players on Piken Square, myself included, and I think Raedwulf is there with his LOTRO kin which included MueR

There's a whole pvp guild as well (Karn Aanug)... so yeah plenty of Lotro people I know of, just all splintered and spread about!

Weeell... I'd invite you to return to Beorningas & join The White Company. But you don't like my leadership. So I shan't ! :P;)

BTW, it's not my LotRO kin (which is Nimminas), it's the Beorningas alliance. So far, everyone from Beorningas HAS joined WhCo, but it's not compulsory. I'm as keen to get the idea of an alliance (you don't have to leave your kin / guild) going in GW2 as I have been in LotRO.

If I could have one wish, it's that GW2 would implement an alliance system and do away with multi-guilding. It's the one feature I'm not a fan of at all...guess I'm too old-fashioned about things like loyalty.

;)

There's a whole pvp guild as well (Karn Aanug)... so yeah plenty of Lotro people I know of, just all splintered and spread about!

Well we're not strictly PvP or anything. Why not join us? Tons of us are from Laurelin.

www.karn-aanug.com

Because you're scum-sucking, bottom-feeding molluscs? Nothing personal, but you did start life as a bunch of orcs... ;)

Because you're scum-sucking, bottom-feeding molluscs? Nothing personal, but you did start life as a bunch of orcs... ;)

We're orcs dressed as Asura and Charr now.

Well we're not strictly PvP or anything. Why not join us? Tons of us are from Laurelin.

www.karn-aanug.com

I know one person who's in KA and he seems to say you all mainly pvp. It would be nice to get to do some WvW with some structure rather than running around the map trying to find the fight. But I am more pve orientated. Do you have some that are running dungeons?

Good luck on setting up that alliance Raed! It would be nice if ANet would set up chat channels to facilitate that sort of thing.

My guildies and I dabbled in WvWvW for the first time last night. Even my LOTRO kin leader, who is not a fan of what he considers the PvP mindset, remarked that it's much better than LOTRO's.

My own worst moment came when I got separated from the rest of the group I was with, got distracted by a vista, then looked up to see about twenty enemy players charging at me.

Ooops.

I know one person who's in KA and he seems to say you all mainly pvp. It would be nice to get to do some WvW with some structure rather than running around the map trying to find the fight. But I am more pve orientated. Do you have some that are running dungeons?

Good luck on setting up that alliance Raed! It would be nice if ANet would set up chat channels to facilitate that sort of thing.

There are some of us who spend more time to WvW than PvE but not many actually. The vast majority of KA at the moment PvE and dungeon runs are picking up with people reaching the higher levels.

In WvW, we just managed to get Harmo the commander's manual which really helps and so far the big WvW days are Sunday and unofficially Thursday.

It's not a creep tribe as KA implies. It's more of a Laurelin guild.

Hmm, it may be a good fit for me then.

Grats on getting Harmo the manual! :)

My own worst moment came when I got separated from the rest of the group I was with, got distracted by a vista, then looked up to see about twenty enemy players charging at me.

Ooops.

I noticed my server had a lot under control other night and actually managed to finish our own borderlands and nearly EB (couldn't solo a skill challenge) without running into anyone. Granted it was 3am, but I managed to hide alright. :D

I don't agree with a PvP area counting for 100% completion though. I dunno how people have done it tbh.

I don't agree with a PvP area counting for 100% completion though. I dunno how people have done it tbh.

Switch server to one that is dominating PvP or a low pop server with fewer people and then switch back again, thats how I did some of borderlands when desolation where losing the last match up. It's also how some of my guild mates are farming badges at the moment.

Didn't think of that. But, have they reduced free transfers to once every 24 hours? I seem to recall reading they were going to do that.