LOTROCommunity
Spidey

GW2 Impressions

The only thing I miss in GW2 is the RP group from LotRO. If they'd just join GW2 I'd be a happy short-person (Hobbit or Asura, your pick). For the rest... I'm most involved with a MUSHing community (Yes, those text-based multiplayer games, for over 10 years already) and managed to get a fair amount of them to GW2 so I'm feeling right at home there. I MUSH and GW2 at the same time, I couldn't be a happier short-person.

I'm suffering from that as well, Spidey. Social side is an important part of an MMO for me. It's the only thing, really, that kept me going for so long in LotRO. The way that game has gone, if that had been a single-player game, I'd have stopped buying expansions / next-in-series a while ago. With GW2, half the alliance have tried it... and most have gone back to LotRO or gone on to somewhere else, for various reasons. I've been invited into TSW on a free month trial, by some of those that moved on, but am struggling to get into it. I'm told it ought to suit me once I get going, but the visuals are pretty dated.

So I'm left with...

A game that's not OK & that I'm struggling to get back into after a break, but has social side,

A game that's OK, but has no social side,

A game that might be OK & might have social side, but that I'm struggling to get into!

:/

Agreed. I am left with similar options and that is why I am not playing any mmorpg in this moment cause there is no single one that fit me. Hell I did not played any mmorpg for 1,5 years already. I just tested few shortly here and there.

I have it even harder. I cannot stand cash shops especially f2p / freemium games in mmorpg which is something I plan as long-term commitment, so my options are insanely reduced right now.

So I got left with option to: 1.play something I don't really like and struggling to be satisfied or 2.accept that I will have really long break from mmorpg's and spend more enttertaiment time on single player / multiplayer games and on non-compuiter entertaiments.

I did choose option 2, as doing option 1 for long months made my experience not fun and me myself grumpy or worse.

Figured I would bump an 18 month old thread rather than start a new one...!

I've started playing GW2 again recently and literally no one on my friends list or in my guild is still playing, I appear to have been made leader of the guild and am the only one who has logged in in months.

So I posted a couple of posts on our guilds various forums (LotRO, SWTOR, GW2) to see where everyone was and the general consensus was that GW2 is a great game but everyone left to play other stuff (mostly back to SWTOR). It isn't an uncommon thing that I keep hearing "yeah GW2 is great, I don't play anymore but may go back".

I have a couple of theories, firstly GW2 has been quite overwhelming for me to get back into, I had to start a new character to try to remind myself how everything worked and there is so much to do. Is there possibly too much to do and learn? Also I think people actually miss the holy trinity style of play, it was a very brave thing to do to move away from it but it seems to me that people (at least those I play with) actually seem to like to have very defined roles.

I'm back, and so far enjoying it, it's a great game. I strongly suspect I may end up stopping again though in a few months and I'm not entirely sure why!

Figured I would bump an 18 month old thread rather than start a new one...!

I've started playing GW2 again recently and literally no one on my friends list or in my guild is still playing, I appear to have been made leader of the guild and am the only one who has logged in in months.

So I posted a couple of posts on our guilds various forums (LotRO, SWTOR, GW2) to see where everyone was and the general consensus was that GW2 is a great game but everyone left to play other stuff (mostly back to SWTOR). It isn't an uncommon thing that I keep hearing "yeah GW2 is great, I don't play anymore but may go back".

I have a couple of theories, firstly GW2 has been quite overwhelming for me to get back into, I had to start a new character to try to remind myself how everything worked and there is so much to do. Is there possibly too much to do and learn? Also I think people actually miss the holy trinity style of play, it was a very brave thing to do to move away from it but it seems to me that people (at least those I play with) actually seem to like to have very defined roles.

I'm back, and so far enjoying it, it's a great game. I strongly suspect I may end up stopping again though in a few months and I'm not entirely sure why!

I actually got bored of GW2. It has everything good on paper but it just doesn't work well for me. I don't like the Asian-style design. I don't like the character accents. I don't like the feeling that anything I do has no real effect (I've found nothing bad happens if I don't complete the nearby event and nothing good happens if I do). I don't like the limited (and repetitive) combat. I don't like the lack of social interaction.

It's something that's fun to run around and explore but it just doesn't have very interesting game-play for me.

the bad?

i can do that.

* the personal housing instance is anything but personal.

* no guild halls.

* the GW2 trinity of Damage, Control & Support is mostly just damage.  glass tanking is still the most opportune build & taking a control or support roll is to take a second seat.

* the lore presented lacks depth in it's delivery.  (the depth is there, but you have to find it all on your own, via reading snippets in books throughout the word.  it is almost non existent in actual gameplay, or very shallow & contrived.)

*  whilst not cartoonish like WoW, i still don't care for Charr, i am ambivalent about the Asura.

* the armor sets & personal cosmetics of the game definitely fall short aesthetically.  too much Asian influence there.

*  don't care if episodic content (seasonal festivals excluded) like the living story, never comes back.

* Nexon, i hates em.

* NCSoft is at it's heart a Corporation,  their involvement is beneficial for the Asian market, but i think it hurts the western market a bit.

otherwise i do absolutely have a good time just playing the game.  & Arenanet have done some fantastic things, that have clearly set a new modern standard for MMO's.

whilst control & support need a more thorough buffing through each class to play a larger roll than the current dominant glass cannon...  i love the combat system, trait system & just the overall feel of combat.

& the world and art-style is superb with some really great scale.

when i jump back in for another stint, (it will definitely happen) i will be purchasing another $20 gem card for more storage.  i have no qualms about periodically spending the $20 if i am actively playing.

there is bad to be pointed out.  & i would not hesitate to warn anyone to proceed with caution.

but for myself, this is currently the strongest offering on the market.

It's something that's fun to run around and explore but it just doesn't have very interesting game-play for me.

That's exactly how I feel about it, I'll pop on form time to time and have a look round but I doubt I will ever play it for real.

I have a couple of theories, firstly GW2 has been quite overwhelming for me to get back into, I had to start a new character to try to remind myself how everything worked and there is so much to do. Is there possibly too much to do and learn?

I say no. It's certainly no worse than other games imo. Think of trying to start Lotro now with its different stats, classes, virtues, skirmish soldiers, eventually LIs, mounted combat. Or Rift.. Rift was very confusing for me to pick up again

I actually got bored of GW2. It has everything good on paper but it just doesn't work well for me. I don't like the Asian-style design. I don't like the character accents. I don't like the feeling that anything I do has no real effect (I've found nothing bad happens if I don't complete the nearby event and nothing good happens if I do). I don't like the limited (and repetitive) combat. I don't like the lack of social interaction.

Strange. I don't see the Asian-style thing. There's no Cantha in this game and just a few character models have an "Asian" face or there are a couple of hairstyles. It still seems very Western to me, with a digital painting quality that retains a bit of the concept art effect in a way.

And strangely combat is one of the things that keeps me attached to the game. I really don't like standing still in other games, going toe to toe with a mob. It makes little sense. I love dodging and moving about. And I find the fewer skills to be a good thing. (In Rift, there are a fair few redundant skills and often too many in general imo now. I think I feel that way because of GW2) I find the combat to be fluid and fun for the most part. Though, it can get boring when leveling as you keep doing the same thing, but the same could be said of Lotro and Rift. I spend the majority of my time doing dungeons and high-end fractals though, so that keeps things interesting and more challenging for me personally.

* the GW2 trinity of Damage, Control & Support is mostly just damage.  glass tanking is still the most opportune build & taking a control or support roll is to take a second seat.

After a few dungeons last night during which we didn't take a support guardian: I'd disagree somewhat. :P We had all damage specced toons (me on warrior, a backstab theif, two eles and a necro) and we were dying far more than we were used to. Got a guardian in and suddenly things weren't as painful anymore.

* the armor sets & personal cosmetics of the game definitely fall short aesthetically.  too much Asian influence there.

Can someone point out these Asian armor sets? I don't see it. :/

whilst not cartoonish like WoW, i still don't care for Charr, i am ambivalent about the Asura.

Er... okay.. odd. These were a GW1 thing though.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Charr

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Asura

Don't get me wrong, the game has its problems though. Even though the art style/graphics and combat keeps drawing me in, to be honest, I don't have lots to do except for continuously grind money for even more legendaries and level some alts. I think the game really needs new, permanent content and more group instanced content. I wish they'd ease up on these huge world bosses or make scaling instanced versions of them for guilds. I'd love housing and guild halls (and actual good guild halls, as I didn't see the point of them in GW1). I think they're improving on their writing (it seems no worse than the writing in GW1) but I'd love for them to get back to the core lore. I'd love for some more horizontal progression like GW1 had. I'd love to be able to earn a lot more things through playing specific things or going through a long, challenging quest chain instead of randomly grinding money to buy things off the Trading Post.

It's still a very fun game though and was so very, very worth the purchase.

After a few dungeons last night during which we didn't take a support guardian: I'd disagree somewhat. :P We had all damage specced toons (me on warrior, a backstab theif, two eles and a necro) and we were dying far more than we were used to. Got a guardian in and suddenly things weren't as painful anymore.

guardian is the one exception.  guardians have fantastic control.  but the other classes lack.  if they spec for support, or control, they suffer.

and that is what i love about the philosophy of GW2 combat, you should never have to need a specific class (in theory) as Damage, Support & Control can be balanced in any group make-up...  only because the class cannon builds , on all classes but guardian outshine... no one specs the other rolls.

guardian being the exception.  I think they need to work on some other class exceptions.  like elementalist perhaps.  ;)  warrior horn spec makes a better healer/support & that just seems odd.

Can someone point out these Asian armor sets? I don't see it. :/

15uah0.jpg

bad noted, the good on my personal scale is well weighted, in favor.

i too, do not regret the price of admission & i will spend on this game again & probably play for another stint 8+ hours a day for a couple months.

Strange. I don't see the Asian-style thing. There's no Cantha in this game and just a few character models have an "Asian" face or there are a couple of hairstyles. It still seems very Western to me, with a digital painting quality that retains a bit of the concept art effect in a way.

There are a number of things that do this.

Asian games tend to have creatures that are very pointy. They look like Final Fantasy creatures. Like a walking Swiss-army knife.

Asian games tend to have characters that are very pretty. The guys don't look like warriors and girls look like the dreams of a basement-dweller.

I'll see if there's more later, when I'm out of work.

Its healthy for the game that those who are stuck on rock-scissors-paper are leaving or have left. I've seen a lot leave. I was in a guild where most of them left to go back to Aion of all things. Some went to EQ2. The reason seemed to be that they had grown comfortable thinking in terms of tic-tac-toe, making combat a puzzle game with a click-this-then-this strategy. I suspect that is true of a lot of players who can't quite get into it. It isn't the game and it isn't the players, neither needs to change, they just aren't compatible.

I've been "tanking" with a mesmer. Low damage, light armor, support skill oriented and absolutely a monster at threat management. 

It certainly has many merits. It seems to be one of those games where everyone I know agrees it's mostly good but where actually not many of them still play it.

It certainly has many merits. It seems to be one of those games where everyone I know agrees it's mostly good but where actually not many of them still play it.

I know a number of people who are planning to give it another go with the trait revamp on the 15th. I suspect right now there's a lot of hesitation to go back and get acclimated again with the game changing so drastically in the near future.

It's on sale til April 14th. "$25 USD, or 20 Euros" for the basic digital edition =)

... Now if only they did a weekend trial just prior to the end of the sale. Couple of internet friends are mac users who I know would love to try it before investing (purely for performance regions).

Yup, I've noticed that too, all my gaming friends have bought it, all say it's good, but only a few of them still play it and then only ocassionally.

Compare with Honda Accord. Nothing wrong with it but given choice people find it unengaging.

It's a very well done game and has many aspects that other games are mimicking, namely LOTRO. But, I don't know what it is about it either, I just got bored with it. Having 3 guilds pretty much abandon it didn't help either.

That's exactly how I feel about it, I'll pop on form time to time and have a look round but I doubt I will ever play it for real.

Yup, I've noticed that too, all my gaming friends have bought it, all say it's good, but only a few of them still play it and then only ocassionally.

This has suddenly recently changed entirely for me. I played for a while, but just couldn't get into it, but as with most mmo's I stopped very likely because I hardly knew anyone in the game and I find it hard to make new friends online. Recently though with the upcoming WoW expansion WoD a lot of my progression guild there have become disheartened, myself and another remember mentioned GW2 to them and we decided to mass exodus there, we're now enjoying it immensely, actually having people to play with, even if it is only used as a glorified chat room, makes the game so much better.