LOTROCommunity

Simple truths about Riders of Rohan

Honesty

I think it won't be that worse, I guess we get a part of the instance cluster this time and a part of it later and that it will be the same cluster, but delivered in more parts. Which, if they are bug-free because they have more time/instance, isn't bad in my eyes :)

More time to work on them or not, they will not be bug-free. Turbine doesn't do bug-free anymore.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doubting they'll make us pay for any new group content.. after the debacle over what was included in the expansion (for cash.. then TP when Doro had to make a blatant post asking Sapience to clarify.) When you bought it, it clearly stated the instance cluster was included... if they go back on that.. that would be *really* bad. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they did though.

Depends how they decide to define an "Instance Cluster" I wouldn't be suprised if its a couple of 3 mans and a 6 man and they still get you to pay for the raid. It wouldn't be the first time Turbine twist there own words to suit them.

More like release "Rohan instance cluster" with small amount of dungeons and then ~2 months after release "new" "separate" payed another instance cluster and then combined amount of instances from those two clusters would be same (or only a little big higher)as normal sized cluster.

I wont spoil it for those who haven't done it but the final "reward" for completing the rebuild of Hybolt has been posted on the official forums for anyone interested

*spoilers*

http://forums.lotro....-(spoiler-alert)

This forum does have spoiler tags for anyone who does want to discuss it without spoiling it for others

see

[spoiler]see[/spoiler]

I don't think spoiler tags are necessary. Unless people find it a spoiler to be massively disappointed.

Given that I haven't yet started the Hytbold daily grind, I'm quite happy to have the 'reward' spoiled for me. I know exactly how much time to allocate towards the daily's now.

I think there must be something wrong with me! I only went and purchased Rohan on Sunday (with saved up TP, not actual cash!) and started playing again after a very long time away (apart from Rohan beta I have not played much at all so far this year), I finished all of book 6 and made a start on book 7. Kinship still has about 10 active members and I found it suprisingly enjoyable, toward the end of the night though I did find myself getting frustrated by the lack of some features I have gotten used to (crafting mats avaliable from all crafting stations for example). I don't know how long I will last or if I will see level 85, even though I didn't spend any cash so far I still suspect a massive case of buyers remorse on the horizon (my TP balance is almost zero now)!

Well, sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic the first time but I guess I was with the minimal quote of your post.

The thing is, Rohan actually is a good update by most measures. It's a substantial area. It has great scenery, in keeping with the book, (Nen Hithoel; Fangorn). It has good lore tie-ins, in the epic quests and also in landscape features. Some non-epic quests are engaging (back stories of the rulers of various rohirrim settlements; conspiracies; misunderstandings). Mounted combat works quite well, and I say that as someone who was never going to really like it. Architecture and attention to detail in towns is impressive. Hytbold is a clever gradual-development activity and it's supported by a large amount of varied content.

What it doesn't have is a raid instance. Personally I don't really mind that as I'm a Tolkien fan rather than a keen raider, but I can see that this is a bad omission, and the instances promised next year are very late.

People say it's overpriced. It's certainly more expensive than previous similar updates: I would make almost a direct equivalence with Moria. This can partly be explained by inflation, and (I guess) partly financial desperation. I think they may have got it wrong; a lower price might well have yielded better profits, but of course I haven't got access to the business figures. For me, all I can say is that the enjoyment I'm getting from it is worth the price I paid.

I'm a Tolkien fan rather than a keen raider,

These aren't mutually exclusive you know. ;)

Rohan is.. alright. I really liked Fangorn, I like mounted combat more than I thought it would (though it seems a bit too similar for each class), and I enjoyed the first bits of Rohan.. but then it felt like it was repeating itself. "Help, we're being attacked! Help protect us! Help us gather and prepare! Help us fight!" It looks great, though I'm disappointed I cannot run it on ultra high like I can the rest of the game. The bugs and lag are frustrating. I'm not playing as much as I used to (the whole crappy LI grind is what keeps me from leveling alts), but I'm finding I'm coming back to it every couple of days and balancing it with GW2. So it's enough for me to want to play some, yet I'm not overly excited about it. Having instances and raids right now probably would have helped yet on the other hand I'm thankful for a break from raiding especially as it allows me to enjoy plenty of GW2 as well. It seems variety is good for me as if I spend too much time in GW2 I get aggravated about needing money for well everything and money being not so easy to get. :P

Idk, I haven't purchased RoR, but I have finished the epic and all I can say is MEH! The epic was fine I guess, at least I'm not catering to bumbling Rangers now, but from the few quests I was allowed to do as a non-RoR owner....it's just more of the same. Kill 10 rats, gather 15 of these, now kill this mini boss garbage. GW2, I think has ruined all classic MMO leveling for me. Like Laur posted above, there's too many missing functions, LOTRO seems hopelessly dated.

GW2, I think has ruined all classic MMO leveling for me. Like Laur posted above, there's too many missing functions, LOTRO seems hopelessly dated.

I'm feeling this too.. and agree Lotro feels like it's missing out on functions. Oh how I missed my mail and posting to the TP from anywhere! And deposit all collectables. And accessing mats at the crafting stations.

One simple truth of RoR: It was the first time in my 5 years of playing LotRO that I not only didn't pay for an expansion but it also made me quit playing. It really comes to something when even a free expansion isn't enough to keep me interested.

One simple truth of RoR: It was the first time in my 5 years of playing LotRO that I not only didn't pay for an expansion but it also made me quit playing. It really comes to something when even a free expansion isn't enough to keep me interested.

It's much the same with me. I paid cash for RoI (Legendary edition, actually), but was so bored with it I never even finished its content. I was hoping Rohan would reinvigorate my interest in LOTRO, but after seeing what you got with it - or more to the point, what little you got for the price, compared to how much more other games give in their expansions for the same price or less - I just couldn't waste my time spending TP or cash on RoR.

No idea where to pop this, but don't feel like starting a new thread.. but this is a comments on Massively that SynCaine highlighted on a blog post today:

Interesting.

edit, linkses:

http://syncaine.com/...any-minute-now/

http://massively.joy...ture/#continued

Surprised my quote has floated around like this, but I guess truth sometimes does these things on the internet.

I have a feeling that Lotro is actually profitable. Somehow they were able to justify spending on advertising (a while ago, and a bit now on adsense/google ads).

I like the comment posted - great reply by stock, but I am not so sure that just because the "gaming arm" of WB is losing money overall that means any one game is doing badly. The real test will come with this expansion (OMG I know I said this before ROI) - will it be good, or will Lotro continue a slow death and become the MMO of choice for kiddies with no money and LOTR fans with out a MMO-clue.

Of course LOTRO is profitable... it's been that for quite a while now (even before F2P). The moment it isn't anymore, they pull the plug, they've got no initial investments to recover anymore that would make them keep trying to turn a profit.

Time-Warner doesn't comment on individual studio performance in public reports. However, since the acquisition of Turbine their gaming arm has dropped by -8% in profit to -19% overall. Does this all come from Turbine? I doubt it. At the same time, however, they do praise the performance of one-off titles (such as Batman) contributing to the success of the unit. Turbine also has received a grand total of one separate mention in their reports, over a total of one sentence when they announced in their annual report that they had acquired Turbine.

Probably don't want to hear this, but I will lay it out a clear here. Turbine is of very small concern in an organization the size of Time-Warner. They sometimes make more on one movie than Turbine has in their entire existence. For those who think as long as Turbine is profitable, things are going to be okay, i will remind you of three things: 1.) Time-Warner is a large corporation and Turbine is a group of resources within that corporation. If they feel those resources could be better allocated to some other area to produce more profit, they will do it in a heartbeat. 2.) Time-Warner is primarily a media company, which tends to focus more on the short-term than long-term just as a nature of their business. 3.) I'm sure Turbine was NOT acquired for their MMO titles, but more for the resources within the organization that could be utilized in Time-Warner.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We will know the minute LotRO is non-profitable and only has 1 year left in it when:

- They sell cheap TP packages.

- They sell Lifetime accounts again.

- They make a new expansion, even lighter in content than RoI and RoR, that costs at least $50 - $60 at cheapest.

- They charge VIPs for things they shouldn't but get around it by labelling it differently (i.e. updates are now mini-expansions).

- They throw out bold statememts like 'stronger than ever' and 'highest profit' but won't tell you when or what they are comparing.

- They sell outlandish items in Store and/or remove similar items from in-game.

Any combination of these will hint towards the end. Turbine will already know by then but will squeeze their uninformed player base as long as they can.

The internet is a wonderful thing. You see, not just gamers follow these threads, but investors too. I, for one, rarely read the 'official' forums because they are usually controlled propaganda by the respective entities. Best to seek out independent communities, such as this one, to find the real skinny on things. Fact is, the gaming arm of Time-Warner has lost money for three straight years and last year was the only business unit to lose money in Time-Warner. Kind of makes it stand out a bit.

When I see things such as an expansion priced 30%-50% more than industry norm containing, at least by customer claims, less than half the content of their competition, it is always an ominous sign as it never has effectively worked in any business for long, as it speaks to ones desperation and ultimately alienates the customer base and effects profit potential. As to your comment above, a $50 hobby horse proposal should answer your question.

Not to put a cloud on things, but after three years you can bet your bottom dollar that Time-Warner has most likely put their foot down at this point to turn a profit or be reassigned to other areas. You are talking about a company that makes multi-million dollar project decisions (movies and television) all the time. Don't be fooled that they won't, if they feel it is in the companies best interest, cancel the title completely. Profit or not doesn't guarantee anything. It only matters if the profit meets targets set from above.

It only matters if the profit meets targets set from above.

It all distills down to this. If WB thinks they can make more money by shutting Turbine down and allocating their assets (staff, tech, etc) to other divisions, they'll do it in a second. We also know that WB bought Turbine for one primary reason: They wanted Turbine's Free-to-Play technology. It doesn't hurt that they could then hold all of the LotR gaming licenses as well, but that is really small fries compared to their other businesses. What mattered was the successful F2P tech Turbine created, and now WB can use it on any game they have, if they so chose, whether Turbine continues to exist or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I have absolutely no idea which topic to put this in.. but after U9, I've won 2 relic removal scrolls from Durchest. So seems they've upped the drop rate on them. I also won a tome of vitality 4 and riddermark crystal. It's been nice to see these mythical ingame drops actually starting to happen a bit more now.

I have absolutely no idea which topic to put this in.. but after U9, I've won 2 relic removal scrolls from Durchest. So seems they've upped the drop rate on them. I also won a tome of vitality 4 and riddermark crystal. It's been nice to see these mythical ingame drops actually starting to happen a bit more now.

Are they dropping more often in raids than in the past or is it just because the raid has no locks and Durchest can be farms 3 times an hour