LOTROCommunity

A GW2 vs LOTRO article ..

So you jumped into a MMORPG you don't know, directly on someone else's level 50 character, and you pretend you "tested" the game?

I hope you don't mind if I don't take you seriously. It's like you had never played LOTRO, I'd give you a level 55 character, put you into Moria and say "go on, try the game"... you have not TESTED the game after that, you didn't even get a feel of it.

That's not entirely accurate regarding what he said. He said his friend's main character was lvl 50. That's not to say that he tested on that character. I don't know about you, but there's no way in hell I'd allow someone else to play any of my chars, even as a test.

Most likely, Hydarnes friend had character slots free and allowed Hydarnes to use one of them to test the game.

It would be good, however, if Hydarnes elaborated further.

Saying that, I've got no interest in trying GW2. Too many things to do, too little time to do it in. I can't get into another game just now, not with Rocksmith coming to the UK in October. Hell, I've not even played SWTOR for months.

So you jumped into a MMORPG you don't know, directly on someone else's level 50 character, and you pretend you "tested" the game?

I hope you don't mind if I don't take you seriously. It's like you had never played LOTRO, I'd give you a level 55 character, put you into Moria and say "go on, try the game"... you have not TESTED the game after that, you didn't even get a feel of it.

OK - maybe my English in not good enough, so sorry for this.

Nevertheless I will try to explain it in more details:

I did not use the Level 50 char of my friend for my test but created a new char. I just used his account on Drakkan See/Drakkar Lake [DE] while I was viting my friend on a weekend.

When I test a MMO then I wait during the leveling and exploring of the world if the game is fascinating me. In german we have the expression "Der Funke springt rueber" - but I dont know the english expression. Its like an Aha-effect if you are totally fascinated by something.

This effect happened to me in the last 5 years only 2 times: When I played LOTRO and then again in SWTOR.

Other games like Aion, Rift, STO, AoC and also GW2 were not bad but also not fascinating me. Even STO despite the fact that I am a fan of Star Trek.

LOTRO and SWTOR have fascinating background-stories, the world(s) are shown in a "realistic" way. When I am in Bree it looks like the pictured I had when I read the books of Tolkien. The same feeling was present when I was on Coruscant or Tattoine in SWTOR.

But in GW2 there was no feeling like this. The world is nicely done. But not impressing (at least not me).

Also I absolutely dont like "mega-weapons" like 3 meter long swords whielded by tiny one and a half meter creatures.

In LOTRO and SWTOR the equipments are looking "realistic" while in GW2 or Rift they are too exaggerated. Other players surely like those designs but for me it is a negative aspect.

But before you misunderstand me again: That was not the only reason why I was not impressed by GW2. I leveled my new char and some hours later I watched the level 50 char of my friend, when he showed me parts of the world.

Finally I decided that GW2 is not interesting for me to invest time or money in this game.

So - despite my bad english I hope it is now more understandable why I personally dont like the game. :)

Just to make non-GW2 LOTRO players drool.....all weapons and armor can be transmutated so if you find some awesome looking armor or weapons at level 20, you can have the same cosmetic at 79, but with level 79 stats. I'm not 80 yet, but I'm sure there's a level 80 equivalent as transmutation stones are only usable on items 79 or lower. Transmutation stones drop very frequently BTW.

OK - maybe my English in not good enough, so sorry for this.

Nevertheless I will try to explain it in more details:

I did not use the Level 50 char of my friend for my test but created a new char. I just used his account on Drakkan See/Drakkar Lake [DE] while I was viting my friend on a weekend.

When I test a MMO then I wait during the leveling and exploring of the world if the game is fascinating me. In german we have the expression "Der Funke springt rueber" - but I dont know the english expression. Its like an Aha-effect if you are totally fascinated by something.

This effect happened to me in the last 5 years only 2 times: When I played LOTRO and then again in SWTOR.

Other games like Aion, Rift, STO, AoC and also GW2 were not bad but also not fascinating me. Even STO despite the fact that I am a fan of Star Trek.

LOTRO and SWTOR have fascinating background-stories, the world(s) are shown in a "realistic" way. When I am in Bree it looks like the pictured I had when I read the books of Tolkien. The same feeling was present when I was on Coruscant or Tattoine in SWTOR.

But in GW2 there was no feeling like this. The world is nicely done. But not impressing (at least not me).

Also I absolutely dont like "mega-weapons" like 3 meter long swords whielded by tiny one and a half meter creatures.

In LOTRO and SWTOR the equipments are looking "realistic" while in GW2 or Rift they are too exaggerated. Other players surely like those designs but for me it is a negative aspect.

But before you misunderstand me again: That was not the only reason why I was not impressed by GW2. I leveled my new char and some hours later I watched the level 50 char of my friend, when he showed me parts of the world.

Finally I decided that GW2 is not interesting for me to invest time or money in this game.

So - despite my bad english I hope it is now more understandable why I personally dont like the game. :)

This makes more sense now :)

So the conclusion is obvious - you enjoy MMORPG with linear story progression and dungeon grind end game. Obviously GW2 is not for you, fair enough, no game is made for everybody.

It's common that people who only played "WoW clone games", which both LOTRO and SW:TOR are, don't understand or just don't like what GW2 is all about.

PS: While I agree on Bree (and also the Shire and many other places in LOTRO), I think Coruscant in SW:TOR was (in my opinion) HORRIBLE. It isn't a town where people live, it's just a giant quest hub full of mobs. I take Bree, or towns in WoW or any town in GW2, over the utterly awful design of Coruscant in SW:TOR. If Bioware can learn one thing from ArenaNET (and also Blizzard and Turbine), it's how to make a town that actually feels like a town.

Just to make non-GW2 LOTRO players drool.....all weapons and armor can be transmutated so if you find some awesome looking armor or weapons at level 20, you can have the same cosmetic at 79, but with level 79 stats. I'm not 80 yet, but I'm sure there's a level 80 equivalent as transmutation stones are only usable on items 79 or lower. Transmutation stones drop very frequently BTW.

There are. I got Fine Transmutation Stones (or some name like that) out of a Black Lion Chest. I hadn't realised the other ones we'd been getting only worked up to level 79 armour. :( I don't find much point to these other ones at the moment as I switch armour so frequently. Perhaps they'll come in handy at 79 whilst I work for other stuff. Dunno.

So the conclusion is obvious - you enjoy MMORPG with linear story progression and dungeon grind end game. Obviously GW2 is not for you, fair enough, no game is made for everybody.

It's common that people who only played "WoW clone games", which both LOTRO and SW:TOR are, don't understand or just don't like what GW2 is all about.

I think I've discovered through playing GW2 that I do like a small amount of grind I guess. :F I dunno. I do like something to work towards I think, but I don't like a huge grind... but it's hard when you've attained things too easily and then don't have anything to do. :P I really don't know where a good balance would be to be honest.

I think I've discovered through playing GW2 that I do like a small amount of grind I guess. :F I dunno. I do like something to work towards I think, but I don't like a huge grind... but it's hard when you've attained things too easily and then don't have anything to do. :P I really don't know where a good balance would be to be honest.

So I guess you are level 80 with full exotic armor and a legendary weapon in GW2? ;)

There are. I got Fine Transmutation Stones (or some name like that) out of a Black Lion Chest. I hadn't realised the other ones we'd been getting only worked up to level 79 armour. :( I don't find much point to these other ones at the moment as I switch armour so frequently. Perhaps they'll come in handy at 79 whilst I work for other stuff. Dunno.

I just started using them. I picked up some 20 something karma armor that I really like the look of, so I've been transmutating as I get armor with better stats. Sometimes I just use them to get a sigil from a weapon or armor piece.

Are you missing earning a new skill every 2 levels or so? I felt that way for awhile, so many games reward you in the same manner. It does seem odd that you have all your weapon skills by level 10 or so. Its just a different system, it takes some getting use to.

So I guess you are level 80 with full exotic armor and a legendary weapon in GW2? ;)

I just said I don't like a huge grind. ;) The costs of that sort of stuff looks to be worse than anything I've done in Lotro... and I'm speaking as someone who has multiple "perfect" 1st agers currently.

My highest character is 54 I think. I'm in no rush to get to 80 given I don't know what replayability is going to be like on alts when I get to areas I've previously completed.

Are you missing earning a new skill every 2 levels or so? I felt that way for awhile, so many games reward you in the same manner. It does seem odd that you have all your weapon skills by level 10 or so. Its just a different system, it takes some getting use to.

Yeah, that's the biggest thing I think. Story and completionism does drive me, but I like my characters feeling like they're getting more powerful whether it be from a new skill, a new set of guild crafted armour or even the building you do at end game. Yet at the same time you feel like you're doing it for nothing at end game as it's all going to go away when new stuff comes out.. though hey, it lets me faceroll through already too easy content I suppose. (we need an eyerolling smiley! :P) Anyway, I am getting used to no new skills as I level.. for now.

From some official name at the GW2 forums:

No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for.

On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road.

We’ll cover a lot of the details on the kind of support and plans we have in place over the next month or so on the Gw2 blog and with our press partners.

We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does!

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Guild-wars-2-content-update/first#post86705

We'll see but that would be a huge difference from Lotro and something Lotro could learn. :P

I just said I don't like a huge grind. ;) The costs of that sort of stuff looks to be worse than anything I've done in Lotro... and I'm speaking as someone who has multiple "perfect" 1st agers currently.

Not even remotely close - and at least you don't have to get your character skills by grinding 100 level 10 wolves, then 100 level 20 wolves, etc... you got the idea.

So the conclusion is obvious - you enjoy MMORPG with linear story progression and dungeon grind end game.

That's completely unfair; that's not what he said. All he said was it looked OK, but it didn't really grab him. Nothing more. He said nothing about the story, so you can't infer anything about linearity. As for end-game, with so few people still there & the game so newly out of release, who can say anything about GW2's longevity. I think your antipathy towards LotRO is blinding you when someone does not speak in favour of GW2.

Surely you've seen the 68k karma per piece/weapon stuff? Or the cost of cultural armour? Right??

Thankfully they are not necessary and definitely not the best items of the game.

Mind you, I agree those prices are too high - and I expect them to be lowered in the future - but they are only "rare" quality.

That's completely unfair; that's not what he said. All he said was it looked OK, but it didn't really grab him. Nothing more. He said nothing about the story, so you can't infer anything about linearity. As for end-game, with so few people still there & the game so newly out of release, who can say anything about GW2's longevity. I think your antipathy towards LotRO is blinding you when someone does not speak in favour of GW2.

It has nothing to do with my liking or disliking of LOTRO - read what the person I answered to says... he's "fascinated" by SW:TOR's background story. SW:TOR is the most "on the rails linear" MMORPG on the market, along with maybe Rift (without even the story in Rift). And let's admit it, in LOTRO, you follow the story, and it's pretty linear too. Exploration in LOTRO or SW:TOR? Compared to GW2, it's a sad joke. You almost never have to figure out where to go, search a bit, you are sent exactly where you are "meant" to be.

And what I said is not pejorative - there's nothing wrong with preferring that style of MMORPG.

So the conclusion is obvious - you enjoy MMORPG with linear story progression and dungeon grind end game.

Be thankful it's a "Try to be nice" day for me. Usually when faced with that kind of tongue twisting I declare war.

P.S. I'm enjoying GW2 and found Coruscant horrible, but the above is no way to converse.