LOTROCommunity

You know how I know Turbine is failing?

The MMO Troll

Turbine laid off a bunch of staff recently. Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, ArenaNet can't hire people fast enough to add to their growing team for Guild Wars 2.

That is how you make a great game, Turbine. You build your staff, rather than tear it down and expect the remaining devs to work wonders.

[EDIT - Now you post a reason why YOU think Turbine is failing]

• Upvote 1

You can't build your *dream team* without good money invested with it, And it seems something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark Turbine.

But don't forget that LotRo is a 5 years old game and GW2 is fresh title, so comparison is a bit meaningless. GW2 team is growing but how long they can maintain this growing trend? 5 years? Doubt it.

Their forums have been broken for years, even when they weren't quite 'failing' yet.

They do seem to be even worse than ever, though. I was enjoying seeing some pics of the Rohan evening skies that folks were posting, now I can't even log into the thing to view them. What I was able to see was enough to make me at least consider Rohan in the future.

But not until they fix the launcher issues, I still get "cannot save data files" every time I try to boot up LOTRO, and I saw nothing in the recent preliminary patch notes indicating that they're working on this. I suppose I should just cut my losses and drop my subscription, but it makes me sad.

:(

Surely that's some local issue; some reason why you can't save a game update. Corrupt files, full disc, dodgy media? Apologies if you've tried this already, but what about a clean reinstall?

There are launcher issues but those usually manifest as being stuck at the beginning on "Waiting"; trying again some time later fixes it.

In all honesty, I'm actually becoming optimistic about LOTRO's future after reading about the upcoming U9. Have they finally learned to communicate to the player base? Scaled BG is brillaint, I'm sure scaled OD is in the future, but if they really want me back, SCALE THE RIFT!!!!

Well Lotro future will be 'more of the same'. Just same Lotro and same trends that are happening since freemium conversion (and partially started even before).

Quality might slowly evolutionary drop and cash shop extortion and bugs might slowly rise. That's it.

Those people who are playing and having good time in last year, will remain to be content about Lotro. Those who stopped or who are playing but enjoying it less as time pass, will propably get even more miserable.

In all honesty, I'm actually becoming optimistic about LOTRO's future after reading about the upcoming U9. Have they finally learned to communicate to the player base? Scaled BG is brillaint, I'm sure scaled OD is in the future, but if they really want me back, SCALE THE RIFT!!!!

By all means scale the Rift but please never split it up into seperate raids. Same with CD

To be honest, the communication on Bullroarer by devs and beta coordinators and the fact that they at least give the suggestion they do something with our feedback is positive :) Now they need to keep it this way and really do something with our feedback/ say why they decide otherwise :)

To be honest, the communication on Bullroarer by devs and beta coordinators and the fact that they at least give the suggestion they do something with our feedback is positive :) Now they need to keep it this way and really do something with our feedback/ say why they decide otherwise :)

Well in the last days I observed several instances of dismissive comments by what looks like devs. They indicated that either the person did deliberately pretend not to get the point about a user remark, or else the person did have no idea what was talked about, aka not a regular LOTRO player.

But don't forget that LotRo is a 5 years old game and GW2 is fresh title, so comparison is a bit meaningless. GW2 team is growing but how long they can maintain this growing trend? 5 years? Doubt it.

QFT. GW2 is already failing in some eyes. Frankly, I'm not certain what Troll's point is, since we've all known that Turbine has been failing for several years. But is GW2 going to be a lasting success? Dunno. Its launch was imperfect overall, much as LotRO's was. I can live with that; my point of comparison being AoC, which was abysmal. Anet's first update was a fluff festival. Like T's festivals, interesting once, but ultimately fairly pointless & I'd rather they spent development resources on "real" content (I know I'm not necessarily in a majority on that score, and that many players really enjoy the fluff).

However, Anet's first real release was a fucking disaster. OK, that's probably exagerrating a bit, but the whole Karka thing did not go well. They've had their heads kicked in on their own forums, and they've blogged... not quite an apology (since they started off by saying how terrific it all was and never actually said "Sorry!"), but they have at least acknowledged that for an awful lot of players it was Not A Good Experience. And then they've also introduced something that, to a lot of LotRO veterans' eyes, looks a lot like Radiance. Which is A Bad Move.

For me, the game is already drifting. I've always said it's co-operative not social. About half of my raid alliance joined the game. Half of those have gone back to RoR LotRO. It may be a bit crap & dying, but the social side is much stronger. I'm still enjoying running around (solo mostly), because the classes are still new, even if I'm repeating content for the third, fourth, fifth time already (in only 4 months or so? Not good.). Social side? GW2, unfortunately, does not encourage social side. Despite its strengths, I'm not convinced of its longevity. For one thing, it STILL has not got any real control over bots and over its economy. They did a pretty good sweep about 3 weeks ago, cleared out the notorious bot-trains... But they said nothing about what they did (so yet another company with poor communication) and the bots are becoming prevalent again. I'm reporting alt after alt after alt to no effect. Again. In effect, they've killed a few invading workers, but don't seem to be able to deter the ant-nests from which they originate. I'd be prepared to wager that it's mostly the same individuals behind the new bots.

GW2 has strengths, but it has weaknesses too. I agree with Terrorite that trying to use Anet as a comparison is meaningless. GW2 is simply not a proven product yet. And, as I said at the start, what's the point, anyway? We all KNOW that Turbine is failing & has been for a long while. Their competitors could all be worse and that fact wouldn't alter! ;) So what was the point of this, Troll?

I dont understand why they didnt scale the Moria instances and raids. They have just finished the revamp of Moria and this would be the perfect time to scale those raids and instances.

Well, hopefully they'll work on those for Update 10, or if there is no time, Update 11.

I mean, didn't they say that they were planning on scaling all of them eventually?

I know they never ruled out scaling the Rift. It was just "no plans to scale it at this time" or some such.

Actually, a lot of the time it was "We know how much you all loved the Rift, and we want to do it properly". Funnily enough, they've not scaled it so far. That says two things to me: 1) they still have a shred of decency; they've still not butchered the best raid LotRO has ever had; 2) it's never going to be scaled because they know they can't do it. Limited resources means they've next to no chance of scaling it properly. I'll happily allow them the shred of decency on that score. If they ever fuck up The Rift, the game is Officially dead on its feet, as far as I'm concerned.

I would go as far as saying the Rift isn't just the best raid LotRO has ever had but that its also the best raid I have ever taken part in, in any MMO I have played. On level its fun whilst still being very challenging, it requires every member of the raid to be on the ball and know exactly where to position themselves and what to do and not do yet it is still achievable, it was an incredibly satisfying raid to eventually complete, the cheers when we finally downed the Ballrog nearly blew my headphones. I hope one day they do scale it up (I would even pay TP for it!) but I also hope that in doing so they keep the mechanics of the raid exactly as it is.

I would go as far as saying the Rift isn't just the best raid LotRO has ever had but that its also the best raid I have ever taken part in, in any MMO I have played. On level its fun whilst still being very challenging, it requires every member of the raid to be on the ball and know exactly where to position themselves and what to do and not do yet it is still achievable, it was an incredibly satisfying raid to eventually complete, the cheers when we finally downed the Ballrog nearly blew my headphones. I hope one day they do scale it up (I would even pay TP for it!) but I also hope that in doing so they keep the mechanics of the raid exactly as it is.

QFT. For the second time tonight and, this time, with no caveats. Unfortunately, I think it is likely also the high-water mark for LotRO, something they'll not achieve again. It's a pretty good piss up the wall, though; I doubt many games have ever reached so high... ;)

Seems like there are poeple that want to run the Rift at 50. In fact have seen some that intend to use the XP disabler to stay level 50 for good.

I have thought about this previously, and I would absolutely love to be able to do this.

I hated it when they removed the level gating that you had unless you bought an expansion. If that was still in place I would just be a subscriber with SoA content and 50 as the cap to be honest with you.

Surely that's some local issue; some reason why you can't save a game update. Corrupt files, full disc, dodgy media? Apologies if you've tried this already, but what about a clean reinstall?

There are launcher issues but those usually manifest as being stuck at the beginning on "Waiting"; trying again some time later fixes it.

Well, as you can see, I'm not the only person suffering from this:

http://forums.lotro....t-10-15-Updated

Now, I will be honest...I have not tried any of the suggested solutions...yet. GW2 is keeping me happy and busy despite its own little bumps (oh, yes, it's got 'em! ;)) and I'm curious to see if they come up with a solution for this. Many people have tried all suggestions to no avail.

Right now it's a waiting game for me...as Raedwulf said, GW2 ran into some big problems with the "Lost Shores" update and with the Christmas content barrelling straight at us, it remains to be seen whether they learned from that experience. Time will tell.

Frankly, I'm not certain what Troll's point is, since we've all known that Turbine has been failing for several years.

I guess I should have been more clear... The point was, I put up a reason why I felt it was obvious Turbine is failing (they are laying devs off, while other, more successful companies are hiring in droves. It clearly shows the company is in a hole and not willing to dig themselves out), and everyone else would post up a reason why they feel Turbine is failing.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to be a referendum on one opinion. I'll edit the initial post.