LOTROCommunity
The MMO Troll

You know how I know Turbine is failing?

Normally I would make a complaint about staff speaking to customers like that, but what is the point you know nothing would get done in this case.

Wow... From what I've read and heard about that guy I wonder why he's still employed in that position.

Yeah, the best chance of success would be to write to them, with various evidence enclosed for best effect.

http://forums.lotro....734#post6556734

So, is that bolded part a reversal of his previous rules, or is it an admission that he doesn't apply the rules equally?

http://forums.lotro....057#post6349057

Not sure about the first quote, but the second comes directly as a result of the Great Guild Wars 2 Debate, when threads and posts discussing the game were dropping faster than Dolly Parton's training bra. Now that the game is out (and done whatever damage it's apt to do to LOTRO), that's settled down. There's even a thread drawing comparisons between the two games that's been happily chugging along for months.

;)

Wow... From what I've read and heard about that guy I wonder why he's still employed in that position.

Yeah, the best chance of success would be to write to them, with various evidence enclosed for best effect.

Many of us have wondered how Rick (Sapience) remains in his position, let alone how he got the job in the first place. His background in in radio, although he did work on an obscure gaming website for a short time as "Editor". His being an editor there is much like if I called myself "Editor, Publisher, Author, and Star" of my websites and podcasts. In short, he worked on a blog, and turned it into Lead Community Manager for LOTRO.

If nothing else, the guy must interview for jobs really well!

I wish you had been around LOTRO a few years ago when Patience was still the lead CM. She knew how to run a forum, and the community was a lot more cohesive and friendly back then. I literally spent 6-8 hours a day on the forums back then, while at work (I work nights, and have little to do once my main work is done but surf the net). Good times.

Many of us have wondered how Rick (Sapience) remains in his position, let alone how he got the job in the first place.

I no longer remember which thread (it's been a year or two), but he actually did detail how he got the job for a forum poster who was interested in the business, and went on to encourage that person to go for it. When I have time I'll try to chase it down, if it hasn't been zapped in a forum purge.

:)

About Sapience have you considered that WB-Turbine actually want him to be 'whipping boy'? It divide anger to more 'targets' and make critics focus on Rick person instead of game and business model.

About Sapience have you considered that WB-Turbine actually want him to be 'whipping boy'? It divide anger to more 'targets' and make critics focus on Rick person instead of game and business model.

Perhaps. We already know that upper management at Turbine think they can anger players all they want, and the players will keep on buying stuff... or so they say, anyway. So why not have a Lead Community Manager that favors the Fanboys, lays the hammer down on anyone who dissents too often or gets on his bad side, and keep the forums in a perpetual state of chaos? It won't make for a very united, happy community, but I think a united community is probably the last thing Turbine wants right now.

I wish you had been around LOTRO a few years ago when Patience was still the lead CM. She knew how to run a forum, and the community was a lot more cohesive and friendly back then. I literally spent 6-8 hours a day on the forums back then, while at work (I work nights, and have little to do once my main work is done but surf the net). Good times.
Patience was ace, a true community manager knowing her job. And I still suspect that the fact she left Feb. 1 2011 has something to do with the change of policy by Turbine and the move of the game to "free to play". I'm convinced that Feb. 1 2011, they already knew that they would go F2P and that Warner would buy them.

I actually have considered just that scenario (I know that's how my own employers operate, and they're a much bigger company than Turbine).

However, I dismissed the notion as...crazypants. :D

As I've mentioned before, my own experiences with Sapience have been more or less positive. We only ever clashed over the GW2 thread controversy and all I picked up over that is three minor infractions. It's water under the bridge at this point.

I think (based on my own observations, I know many here have stories) that Sapience is simply in the unenviable position of having to defend an incompetent and corrupt employer from customers who are increasingly angry at said employer's actions. Something I absolutely sympathize with. It's not a pleasant feeling, especially when said employer basically sets you up to fail. A lot of people are finding themselves in that position in this economy, and I hope that one day all of us can display the Great American Hand Sign to those employers and move on to something better.

But I digress. I still view Sapience and his mod team favorably, simply because he (or Celestrata, or possibly some mod whose name I don't know) acted quickly when I was being harassed by the "crazypants" former kinmate I've mentioned in the past. This charming individual wished death on my kin leader, harassed me in-game and on the forums, and used the MyLOTRO rating system to troll my blog on both his own forum account and that of another account in his household. The mods put the kibosh on that nonsense fast, and good on 'em.

So does that make me a "crazypants" here as well?

:)

I think there is a big difference between Sapience on one hand and those developers who post in an insulting manner.

The insulting developers clearly state where they are and what they want. I don't have a problem with this. In fact I appreciate it. There is nothing that we can do about the problem that some/many Turbine employees have open disdain for their customers right now. Given that it is better that it is in the open.

Sapience on the other hand created his own universe where one set of rules is published and a different set of rules is enforced. And all of that is done to manipulate their forum to make an appearance that the player community said a thing different than what they actually said. This is right out of the Gestapo handbook.

Patience was ace, a true community manager knowing her job. And I still suspect that the fact she left Feb. 1 2011 has something to do with the change of policy by Turbine and the move of the game to "free to play". I'm convinced that Feb. 1 2011, they already knew that they would go F2P and that Warner would buy them.

She move back home to California to work at Zenga, which she left over a year ago. I think I remember someone posting something about her marriage ending and that she wanted to be near her family again.

Sapience on the other hand created his own universe where one set of rules is published and a different set of rules is enforced. And all of that is done to manipulate their forum to make an appearance that the player community said a thing different than what they actually said. This is right out of the Gestapo handbook.

Is that the first time for Godwins Law on these forums?!

Is that the first time for Godwins Law on these forums?!

Nah, we've spoken about the forum Gestapo loads of times!

She move back home to California to work at Zenga, which she left over a year ago. I think I remember someone posting something about her marriage ending and that she wanted to be near her family again.

The difference between what she said and the truth is something you may want to consider.

Admit it, it's strange it happened just when Turbine (obviously) knew about things like F2P and Warner. Such transactions don't happen suddenly out of the blues.

Not to mention you can easily do community management work from home if really needed, specially if your company is happy with your job. There's absolutely no need to be in an office, you can be sitting at home with your family to do that job.

Of course, we will never know the complete truth, but people leaving the boat just before the captain decides to change for a crash course is still strange.

I think (based on my own observations, I know many here have stories) that Sapience is simply in the unenviable position of having to defend an incompetent and corrupt employer from customers who are increasingly angry at said employer's actions. Something I absolutely sympathize with.

Sapience's actions go far beyond merely defending an unfavorable product. I won't derail the thread with details, but six months after being moved to the read-only usergroup, I still get infractions and threats to my in-game account due to things I post on this forum.

http://i.imgur.com/LaWK8.png

And yes, I have appealed all of these invalid infractions and threats. Every one has been upheld.

Sapience's actions go far beyond merely defending an unfavorable product. I won't derail the thread with details, but six months after being moved to the read-only usergroup, I still get infractions and threats to my in-game account due to things I post on this forum.

And yes, I have appealed all of these invalid infractions and threats. Every one has been upheld.

That's both hilarious and enraging at the same time. Nice to see Sap has a temper tantrum when he finds posts he disagrees with outside of his 'domain'.

That is so very, very wrong and I cannot believe these were upheld. They cannot control what you do or say elsewhere. Period. It's... crazypants.

Rule number one... don't use the same nickname on the official forum and on a site like this one.

Agreed. I made that mistake (well, kinda... I mentioned in my old signature here what my forum name is on the official forums), and now I'm in Moderation Hell. Last time I got a post approved by Turbine's Moderators on the LOTRO forums it took several months to go through, and was only allowed because it was positive towards Turbine.

It's ludicrous that they go searching other forums for "wrongdoings". That Sapience guy must have some serious issues for him to be that vengeful. Strikes me as someone that's incredibly insecure.

Nah. They don't go searching other forums. But we all know Li'l Ricky hangs around here spying. It's the home of the malcontents, after all. I think he gets a kick out of it. I knew a bloke like him a few years ago. Didn't know where social barriers were (he was one of those who would get right into your "personal" space; if you leant back, he would lean forward), had the emotional age of a 2 year old - didn't care whether he was being a hero or a villain, just so long as you were paying attention to him!! Li'l Ricky puts me very much in mind of him, oh yes...

Lil Ricky and his lap mutt think because they have a postion of "power" it makes them all powerful. Ive run into a handful of douche bags in the past that think owning or running websites/forums immediately make them better or superior to the rest of the population and some have well overstepped their bounds trying to exert such influence well outside of their "domains". I often look at these people and wonder how they can have friends in real life? Sometimes I start to pity people like the Sap™ then remember what they have done and stop myself before I waste the energy feeling sorry for them.

Rule number one... don't use the same nickname on the official forum and on a site like this one.

I learned this the hard way, and I have since changed my forum name here to go anonymous. I won't go into details about what happened, in case it could give rick any hint on who I am. But he certainly read this forum from time to time.

Here is a personal message for you rick : go to hell.