LOTROCommunity
Altreg01

Closing of RoR Public Instances

http://casualstrolltomordor.com/2012/12/temporary-closing-of-rohan-public-instances/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cstmfeed+%28A+Casual+Stroll+to+Mordor+Blog%29

Kin mate posted this in our forums. While I personally never exploited these, Ive seen both players asking for summons' and cappys offering in GLFF as well as one player remarking that his kinmates have been in one for over 3 hours farming.

Ill be the first to admit I dont have the patience for this stuff, my monthly TP allowance is purposely saved just for buying virtues that come from slayer deeds that I despise so much.

I have not seen an official post, Im sure there is one, but between the pom pom shaking fan bois *O* and Sap™ and SapJr™ I generally avoid the forums unless Im lead there by a link from here.

As far as I know, they are going into these instances, mainly Defense of Harwick, as they have a very high respawn rate. They get into fellowships or even raids, and just keep killing all the mobs as they spawn, which is nearly as quick as you can kill them. Since these mobs drop high levels of silver and junk they are making hundreds of gold for a few hours farming. However that is not the only reason, these mobs can drop the scroll for the Horse-lords gear than when you crit it, you get a legendary piece of armour, which can sell for upwards of 300g depending on the server.

The new open tapping and looting rules, which players wanted added to fellowship and raids, allows players to go AFK for a time and still get the rewards for others killing the mobs so they can take turns killing and having breaks.

How is this different from farming mobs in the open world? I haven't got this far so haven't seen these instances yet.

You can be summoned into the instance even if you dont have the daily quests for it. The fix should be simple. Just port players out 5 minutes after finishing the 2 quests and dont letting captains summing work inside the instance

Super fast spawn rate, and instanced, not open world. In Harwick they stand almost over the horizon, depending on your settings you maynot even see them. In order to actually complete my daily quest I had COMPETE against the farmers. Being a burg with no ranged attacks it was very difficult as 99.999% of the mobs are killed instantly by ranged mounted players. While not clearly an exploit (being summoned in is) it does put the average quester at a severe disatvantage.

While not an exploit, it is clearly not working as intended. Ive completed all of these on my main, depending on how long Turbine sits on these my alts can be severely impacted.

Kudos to Turbine for actually doing something about this, but if it was a store issue it would be fixed immediately, who knows how long this will take since its not store related nor impacts Turbines bottom line.

The fix should be simple. Just port players out 5 minutes after finishing the 2 quests and dont letting captains summing work inside the instance

One is a kill quest, that finishes automatically.

The second one needs player activity. If the farmer does not want to complete this quest, it's never finished...

I see only one fix at the moment: remove loot from the mobs in theses instances.

People do a broadly similar thing in the Sutcrofts, continuously farming the Warbands. Even if the main quest is on cool down, it's nearly half a gold each time someone like Bugud goes down. You can earn several gold an hour.

Inside the instances such as these, it is (or was) just quicker and easier. Can't blame the gamer. This is just bad game mechanics and will more than likely be fixed easily.

How is this different from farming mobs in the open world? I haven't got this far so haven't seen these instances yet.

It's not.. well the only difference is these mobs spawn a lot faster.

The fix should be simple. Just port players out 5 minutes after finishing the 2 quests

One is a kill quest, that finishes automatically.

I see only one fix at the moment: remove loot from the mobs in theses instances.

No. No. And no. Though I fear this is exactly the measures Turbine is going to take.

These measures will prevent someone like me from staying in there solo for 20ish minutes, hoping for an ancient scroll drop. I've done that before. Honestly, I'm pretty pissed at the exploiters who had to go and overdo this.

What I've suggested on the forums is to either:

1. Allow only a round robin loot rule for groups in the public instance

2. Revert public instance grouping to the way open tapping used to work: you must tag if you want credit

Those seem MUCH fairer to everyone, especially given there are no level 85 mobs outside of these instances and such a small chance to kill very many if we're constrained to only what the quests will let us kill. If other people don't want to spend any time farming for anything, that's great and up to them. But I don't like us honest people, out there on our own, spending a bit extra time trying to get a drop getting barred from this.

I wondered where the quests had gone: the NPC was still there in Eaworth but with no gold ring. This will be annoying if it's not back soon; you have to do every one of the quests to finish the Hytbold deeds.

Seriously? People don't have enough gold in this game? It's stupid easy to earn gold in LOTRO without ruining others playing experience.

It was being exploited, its been caught, I just wish they would get it fixed FAST, my alt is rapidly approaching 84 and dont want to get stuck doing this minus those 4 quests

Dont really want to necro this thread but apparently more than the original 4 have been removed says GLFF and Dressage has broken again. Todays downtime is listed as just maintenance but I sure hope they reinsert fixed dailes as well as a fixed dressage.

Dont really want to necro this thread but apparently more than the original 4 have been removed says GLFF and Dressage has broken again. Todays downtime is listed as just maintenance but I sure hope they reinsert fixed dailes as well as a fixed dressage.

Maybe they will also have a go at fixing their forums while they are at it

• Upvote 1

Well... confirmation from Vilya.. old-timers and heavy raiders are leaving in droves EXTREMELY pissed off at Turbine. Remaining ones mostly consider february the "fuck this" deadline. And I spoke to folks who until now were patient to the point of near-fanboyism, trust me they were cursing at Turbine, even using language I didn't know they used.

I still think y'all should come to Ryzom =P

These things are still closed? How is that possible?

Given the staff downsizing from a few weeks ago, I'm not surprised at all. I'd expect to see more of this moving forward as well.

From the comments on today's hotfix:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=6578034#post6578034

"No BG locks isn't a bug, it's intentional."

Farming mobs in a public instance for extra coin: "Bad exploiter! Bad! No loot for you!"

Farming BG first boss for tarnished symbols every 20 minutes: "Keep up the good work."

Er.. so how are people supposed to do the later fights if they don't get it done in one sitting? I doubt that will be a problem for the people I run with, but I'm sure it will be for others.