LOTROCommunity
Doro

Favourite Creatures

Seen a few threads that are a bit negative or heading that way so maybe this will brighten things up!

What's your favourite creatures in LotRO?

I really liked the idea behind the Regmyl (Rogmul) and thought, back before Balrogs were in the game, that it provided a nice demon to fight as compensation for not fighting the big baddies. The first time I had ever seen a Rogmul out of the lorebook was during the Barad Gularan instance and it was impressive to fight against.

Of course, the New Devilry instance sort of ruined that, having Regmyl that aren't that powerful and can now be easily solo'd with IG, but it was a nice concept nonetheless. Just a little poor execution.

That brings me onto New Devilry. I have a confession. I liked Gwathnor. The concept art was a nice design, just somewhere between there and the game it sort of went downhill but the concept was nice. It could have been really nice if it was done properly.

The Balrogs themselves aren't too bad but I can't help but feel that the designers had been watching the New Line films at the time.

My final favourites are the Gaunt Lords. They were a brilliant idea, in my eyes, and it was nice to see them return. The best bit about them is that they are no longer as small. It seems they've returned in Earth-kin bodies or something (Gortheron seems to be a lot larger than a human in OD and Ferndur is pretty big in LT too).

I'm hoping the upcoming dragon will be well designed and, if so, will be hitting my list of favourites pretty soon.

Summary: I like the Regmyl, Gaunts, Balrogs, Gwathnor and hopefully the new Dragon.

Gwathnor is just a typicall generic fantasy monster that should have never made it to LOTRO i'm afraid.

Anyway my favourite creature always were, is and will be a BOAR :P I'm serious :)

Nice little creatures wondering around, sometimes threatening poor adventurers. I mean who could not like them? :)

Favourite creatures hmmm. That actually is a hard question, I dont think I have a favourite creature but would probably be wights/gaunts as well especially around the Barrow-downs when you first played through it with the thick fog and low draw distance was very atmospheric and spooky.

The big bosses in dungeons - they don't have much impact on me. I fight them once, if at all, then go away angry with them and eventually forget about them.

The ones that make me smile every day are those big wobbly bellied orcs that come charging at you, swinging their beer guts from side to side as they go. I have the strange urge to tickle them.

I really don't like dragonets or those lizards in Lorien that swarm helpers.

I remember the first time I came upon the Ent in Evendim. And pretty much every time I saw him with a new character since. I do think he is well designed in the spirit of the books, because he just wows me every time!

;)

Generally I am a sucker for female characters... Especially in LotR world this has always been unfulfilled as there were not too many interesting females described by Tolkien, especially in Hobbit/Trilogy (Silmarillion is better indeed), hence I was pleasantly surprised by strong, epic even, female characters in Shadows of Angmar: Glathlírel an Amarthiel/Narmeleth. Especially the latter.

They are pretty boring but I like hitting late 20's and going off to the east side of Esteldin to start on the earth-kin baddies - not sure why I like them but I do! When it comes to critters, a bit like the earlier poster who liked boars - I like bears, they come in enough varieies of size and colour plus aggreesive/non-agressive as well, they drop plenty of vendor trash and plenty of useful hides too, what's not to like about them!

I like goblins :D. Especially the small ones that scream and cackle at you. I even like warg riders (I so want to play one in Ettenz!), even though they're annoying as hell when they do that wound+slow+run away manoeuvre. Bugans and palefolk are also awesome.

The intelligent ones - the cats.

They lounge around in safe places while all the dopey dwarves, elves and humans run around like headless chickens. They have their own magic as well, last time I saw the one in the Prancing Pony it was fast asleep, floating three inches above the chair behind the bard.

It's the sounds some creatures make that I like such as the aforementioned goblins. The snow-beasts always make me chuckle when they make that groaning noise, especially when coming from behind me. Trolls clearing their throats is amusing too.

Hmmm.... my favorite creature would be....

The Mammoths of OD. I mean, c'mon who doesn't love them? d;)b

Definitely the goblins. they are so funny sometimes I feel I want to let them go just because I feel a bit sorry when they say ''Aieee stop hitting stop hitting'' :D

Just love the trees in the old forest. Made me jump the first time I saw one suddenly attack :$

I really enjoyed fighting Thorog. Very impressive boss and very hard to get him down and keep everyone alive too :)

I enjoy ambushing Drakes with my Warden. The Drake animation where they crash to the ground always makes me smile.

Morroval, while suspended on cave roofs. They are awesome when you stun them. They bounce.

They... bounce? Never noticed that. Maybe I should get in the game again just to check for that. :P Will an Ambush be sufficient to notice it?

Perhaps, I got them to bounce with my minstrel's Piercing Cry (crit)

Trolls. Big, clumsy, and generally always a challenge to solo on-level.

Hmmm, Morovails, mainly 'cause of the highly suggestive noises they make as you beat the crap out of them.

Not really my favorite creatures, but the Earthkin have Finnish names. In fact their leader in Lone-lands, Kekkonen, is named after our former president who was the toughest git ever.