LOTROCommunity

Known Issues: Update 9 Against the Shadow

Here are the known issues for update 9

General

• Pets are unable to walk through the main gate in West Bree
  • Ost Forod - Swift travel to Kauppa-kohta does not work even after discovering the travel destination.
  • Due to the many changes in Bree-town, some players may find themselves stuck in interior locations with no doors, or in exterior locations inside of new buildings. To escape the entrapment (but leave your Cask of Amontillado behind), simply Map Home or use the /stuck command.

UI

• French and German clients do not have a zoomed in map for Snowbourn
  • Track Nearby Enemies - Enemy mapnotes may occasionally remain on the radar after enemies are defeated

Cosmetics

• Exquisite Elven Dress and Innkeeper's Dress have different appearances on male Elves then they do on other race/gender combos
  • The Khundolar Set webstore package does not include the Metal Braided Tail, and the Nightwood Set webstore package does not include the Diamond Banded Tail

Items

• The 5 piece set bonus for the Warden's 'Armour of the Wall-warden' is adding incorrect bonuses to the Shield Mastery gambit
  • The level 85 Dol Guldur armour sets have incorrect armour values

Skirmishes

• Remote looting does not function properly on skirmish and skirmish raid chests

Winter Festival

• Typo in 'The More the Merrier' deeds directs you to Amanda Browning instead of Andy Brown

http://forums.lotro....inst-the-Shadow

This has been added to the known issues

Quests

The following quests have been disabled until further notice:

• Seat of the Great Goblin, Tier 1
  • Seat of the Great Goblin, Tier 2
  • Iorbar's Peak, Tier 1
  • Iorbar's Peak, Tier 2
  • Iorbar's Peak, Challenge
  • Webs of the Scuttledells, Tier 1
  • Webs of the Scuttledells, Tier 2
  • Webs of the Scuttledells, Challenge
  • Spiders and Flies, Tier 1
  • Spiders and Flies, Tier 2

Please note that the instances (Seat of the Great Goblin, Iorbar's Peak, and Webs of the Scuttledells) are still available for play.

I wonder what "does not function properly" means. It could be anything from the chest being empty to everyone getting half a dozen symbols of Celebrimbor.

Assuming it's the same bug that has been happening in-game, it means a few people might not get their loot at all. GMs will only say "file a bug report" and close the ticket.

Wouldn't it have been easier to post what does work in the update :P ?

That would be bad marketing. That's the stuff the players hated in beta, complained about and that went live anyway :P

Turbine releasing buggy content is becoming a bit of a running joke now. Given the long delay in getting these instances released plus time on Bullroarer and presumably on the Palantir program it really is getting quite ridiculous. As it stands people still haven't got everything they paid for with Rohan, 3 months after release. Hell I'm late on a project now but if I were 3 months late I think the client would just walk.

Hell I'm late on a project now but if I were 3 months late I think the client would just walk.

That's the thing. Majority of Lotro players don't walk away. That's why Turbine can 'act' like they do and get away with it. Until more % of consumers understand that walking away is only true leverage they have, many developers acting won't change. Especially with devs making games based on well known IP's because most players don't leave even if they don't like what is happening because "if I leave then I won't be able to play my beloved Middle Earth / Star Trek / 'put any IP here;".

That's the thing. Majority of Lotro players don't walk away. That's why Turbine can 'act' like they do and get away with it. Until more % of consumers understand that walking away is only true leverage they have, many developers acting won't change. Especially with devs making games based on well known IP's because most players don't leave even if they don't like what is happening because "if I leave then I won't be able to play my beloved Middle Earth / Star Trek / 'put any IP here;".

Very true. If this whole legal thing with the Tolkien Estate goes the way most of us want it to, then MERP should be able to get up and running again and give fans of Middle-earth another (and in my eyes, a superior) way to experience it. Then LotRO won't be their only option and Turbine won't have that crucial factor to hang over fans' heads.

Players being locked in is one of the primary advantages of starting a MMORPG business. Huge investments of time, money and personal energy are being made into one particular game.

The question is whether you openly exploit it to strongarm the players.

You can do that. But then your company will never successfully bring up a new game with enough player investment.

That's the thing. Majority of Lotro players don't walk away. ".

Yes - I agree to this statement. I play LOTRO since 2007. While I tested several games including AoC and Rift I left LOTRO for 3 monthes to STO and for 8 months to SWTOR. I am a huge fan of the great storylines llike the Star Trek universe, the SW-universe and especially the world created by Tolkien. This is maybe the reason why Rift or GW2 didnt faszinated me - they have (from my point of view) a boring storyline.

Since september 2012 I returned to LOTRO. Despite all the valid critisism to the several bugs and some decisions of Turbine I think that LOTRO is still a very good and faszinating game.

I dont agree that Turbine is making everything wrong. As a LOTRO-player I really enjoy the game, I also like the shop-concept because I dont like to waste my time for grinding items and consider the RoR-update the best since MoM.

And I also see old comrades coming back to LOTRO leaving the games they played during their game-hopping. For example 12 from my kinship first left LOTRO to Rift then left Rift to SWTOR and then SWTOR to GW2. Now after RoR they are all back and playing LOTRO.

So while they know all these mentioned games they today prefer to play LOTRO. This is also an interesting fact.

I dont agree that Turbine is making everything wrong. As a LOTRO-player I really enjoy the game, I also like the shop-concept because I dont like to waste my time for grinding items and consider the RoR-update the best since MoM.

With all due respect, you may disagree when you have to start paying TP per-use for things that you were initially told were part of your subscription and/or expansion.

For me the shop is helpful because I have 2-3 hours when I decide to play LOTRO per day. In this relative short time I want to enjoy the game and not waste time for grinding.

So I like the option to get items from the shop instead of grinding them in skirmishes or dailies. For example the attribute-scrolls for legendary weapons.

Also the cosmetic items for the chars and the warsteeds.

It simply saves time and dont have so much time to put in 4 hours every day in a week. Not for a virtual game :)

That's the thing. Majority of Lotro players don't walk away...

Precisely. OK, I don't like things Turbine do and the only way to punish them is indeed to stop playing and buying expansions. But that would punish me too. LOTRO is a great game. To give it up just to punish a company whose actions I don't like... that's not actually a victory, more like mutual assured destruction.Much better to carry on enjoying LOTRO with my friends, concentrating on the parts of the game most like my conception of Middle Earth, spending actual money only on a dispassionate cost/benefit basis. If I want the expansion/cosmetic/"convenience" enough, I'll buy. If not, I play without it.

Options are great, as long as they don't tread too close to the P2W category. (My personal guide is that anything reasonably attainable is fair game, but store exclusives and raid equivalents are not.)

But I'm speaking of the things that they outright remove from the game for no other reason to sell it in the store. They removed the ability to get relics off of capped LIs, and added it back as a store exclusive scroll. They reduced the boss drop rate of stat tomes to 'mythological', and added them to the store. And more recently, they removed the ability to run the food/snowball fights more than once a day... unless you buy a token from the store.

For me the shop is helpful because I have 2-3 hours when I decide to play LOTRO per day. In this relative short time I want to enjoy the game and not waste time for grinding.

So I like the option to get items from the shop instead of grinding them in skirmishes or dailies. For example the attribute-scrolls for legendary weapons.

Also the cosmetic items for the chars and the warsteeds.

It simply saves time and dont have so much time to put in 4 hours every day in a week. Not for a virtual game :)

I think most of us are fine with the shop selling things to help avoid a grind. However, what we don't like are grinds increased to allow Turbine to sell a fix or Turbine taking things from us and selling them back. In fact, if all Store items were available in-game in a viable way, I'd have no problem with the Store whatsoever.

Precisely. OK, I don't like things Turbine do and the only way to punish them is indeed to stop playing and buying expansions. But that would punish me too. LOTRO is a great game. To give it up just to punish a company whose actions I don't like... that's not actually a victory, more like mutual assured destruction.Much better to carry on enjoying LOTRO with my friends, concentrating on the parts of the game most like my conception of Middle Earth, spending actual money only on a dispassionate cost/benefit basis. If I want the expansion/cosmetic/"convenience" enough, I'll buy. If not, I play without it.

Sure. I understand that. Still you practically agree to Turbine to do anything, they know that, so they use it and keep pushing it further cause they know they can. If that's ok with you then fine. I would never do it myself, but that's your personal choice and it's not my business.

As for leaving Lotro. I never perceived my permanent departure from Lotro as winning. It is not. I simply could not stand what they did with game including it's monetization, so I left. Not because I wanted to 'win'.I left because playing Lotro was not fun anymore for me because of game changes and store. I tried to stay because I had great kin and some friends still in game, even though some of them also left. There were also few parts of game remaining that I liked. Still other changes and store sucked so much enjoyment of me and irritated me so much that I left.

You might imagine how hard that decision was to make, because you still see me posting on some Lotro forum even though I don't play game anymore. (Other second reason I post on this forum is because I am personally interested on psychology of microtransaction based business models. How players think and how they rationalize their actions, sticking with game and purcharse choices. I am just a person that always was interested in economy, business and sociology&psychology. Even my education reflect that.)