LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Layanor

Developer Twitter Chat Q&A

Hi all! Welcome to our first twitter dev chat! Make sure you use the following tags when you ask

questions.#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

We'll RT your question, and then the answer. Answers will include the initials for the person responding

(RH,AC,MZ, etc) #LOTRO #devchat

Please keep your questions brief and as close to 1 tweet as possible! #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Today we have Senior Producer Aaron “Rowan” Campbell, Lead Systems Designer Matt “HoarseDev” Zimmitti,(cntd)

#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

World Designer Matt “Scarycrow” Fahey,Senior Content Designer Lauren “Budgeford” Salk,(cntd) #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Senior Content designer Joe “JWBarry” Barry, LOTRO Community Manager Rick “Sapience” Heaton #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Let's get started! #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q1:WhitewolfUK-How do you feel mounted combat has been received? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A1:MZ -MC has been very well received so far. We’re already incorporating feedback into the system…#LOTRO

#DEVCHAT

A1b:Specifically, we’re looking into ways to make the classes have more of a distinct impact in future

updates.#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q2:MRWarg-When will you make new creep appearances available in the store? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A2: MZ-I just stood over the shoulder of someone working on these this morning. We’re hoping for u10 and

u11.#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q3: @rwfrk JWB: Why did you remove raid locks from BG? Any plans to let us do the raid over multiple nights

again? #LOTRO

A3: JWB-Raid locks don't really work well with scaled instances.

A3b: We think BG is doable in a night. OD will be multiple instances. #devchat

Q4: Do you have any plans to make a new zone for Dale and Erebor or is it just going to be the Instaces?

A4: Just the instances. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q5:Schinderhannes-Do you have any ideas/plans for Lotro nobody but you knows about and you think this would

be great? #LOTRO

A5: LS-Yes, yes I do! #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q6: @DWLobsters Level cap increases makes me feel like the endgame is increasingly less attainable. Why not

add new content midgame?

A6: LS- We're working on improving mid=level content such as the moria revamp.

Q7:Lathius-Are we going to scale Rift/CD anytime in the near future? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A7: JWB -They're on the list. There's a lot of nostalgia and love for those spaces, so we're taking our time

and treading very carefully.

Q8:@Frickinidget-Great work on Bree/Archet appearance! Any plans for other older game areas? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A8: MF- We've been discussing older game areas and how we can bring them up to ROhan quality.

Q9: @Strause64 -Hunter class are they getting anything new in future updates or game play? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A9: MZ- We're doing a comprehensive investigation into ALL classes. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q10: @Lord_Dolvic What advice would you give to someone interested in starting a career in game development?

#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q10: PLay lots of games. All games. Look for Entry level positions and work HARD.

Q10b: Or learn to code and how to work well with others. :P)

Q11: Econn-When will we see some work done for housing? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A11: MZ-Hoo-ee…need to set the stage by getting neighborhoods consolidated with less vacant housing first.

#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A11:Working out the details of that stuff now.All I can say is that we have a lot of devs interested in doing

some serious home

Q12:@rwfrk In a recent interview with Lotro Reporter you acknoweledged video of a landmass. Can you tell us

about region timeable? U10?

Q12: LS- The next region is in the update after part II of the instance cluster. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q13: @dillwillson is there any way you can delete hunters so we dont have to hear them cry anymore?

A13: RH - HEY! I'm a hunter!

A13b MZ- Well in that case....

Q14: Bohrn_EU-When are you going to fix the forums?

A14: RH - We just revamped http://lotro.com and the forums are currently in the web team's sights. No ETA.

(Soon!)

Q15: @EiledonTruvoice What do you do for fun? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A15: MF - I play lots and lots of games. I have very little time, I live here. Help me.

A15b: LS- I work for fun. Don't help Matt.

A15c: MZ- Brew beer. Make Cheese. Craft beards.

A15d: RH- Matt Z has been holding out on me...

Q16: @BloodSpeaker How far down the chain is a Helegrod scaling?

A16: JWB - DONE! Go play!

Q17:@Kheledlire Can we see something very awesome new feature in 2013?Character updates, better mounted

combat or a very new feature? #LOTRO

A17: MZ- YES!

Q18:Sorig09-Will there be mounted combat instances in the future?

A18: JWB-There's a lot of design and work going on internally to figure out how to meld MC and instance

gameplay in a satisfying way.

Q19: @arch07js Plans to expand Hytbold type of non-killkillkill questing to additional areas of the game?

#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A19: JWB - Variety is the spice of life! Yes. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q20: @scorp_71 Instance Finder was a perfect idea but never adopted by players.Do you plan to review it for

Help solo players to group.

A20: JWB- We're looking into it. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q21: @DaveFortin are there plans to allow mounted combat in future regions? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A21: LS- Yes. We already have MC content in development. It's in the next region.

Q22: @RannaDylin @Floradine_S: What are your plans to protect RPers from forced emotes?

A22: MZ- Plans? We're done with plans.We're testing a solution right now.

A22b MF - In the meantime we're also putting in "serious business' locales, where those emotes won't work.

Q23: @Drewoid13 Are there any plans to revamp questing in the 40s?

A23: LS- Now that Moria is finished, we have our eye on lower levels, but no solid plans.

Q24: @Icekiro_RK Hey, My house is really cold. Anyway to use some dragon fire to heat it up?!?

A24: JWB - Draigoch drops an animated fireplace.

Q25: WhitewolfUK-What were your thoughts on releasing the Rohan cluster into two separate releases. #LOTRO

#DEVCHAT

A25: MZ - This balanced approach allows us to focus more on individual spaces. Speed is often the enemy of

quality… #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A25b:Cramming them all into one release can seriously bring the overall quality level down. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A25c:It also allows us to work on more long-term improvements that need to simmer at the same time. #LOTRO

#DEVCHAT

A25d: JWB-It was a very hard decision.We'd prefer to release it as a whole.But it's more important to have

quality gameplay. #LOTRO

That wraps it up! Thanks for all the great questions! Hope we answered some of your top ones! #LOTRO

Q3: @rwfrk JWB: Why did you remove raid locks from BG? Any plans to let us do the raid over multiple nights

again? #LOTRO

If raid locks don't work well with scaled instances then don't scale RIft or CD until you can make them work, it would be a travesty to see those 2 split up

Overall, not much real information was given.

Q1:WhitewolfUK-How do you feel mounted combat has been received? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A1:MZ -MC has been very well received so far. We’re already incorporating feedback into the system…#LOTRO

#DEVCHAT

A1b:Specifically, we’re looking into ways to make the classes have more of a distinct impact in future

updates.#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Why was this not a consideration when designing the system? Overall, I've gotten a war-steed on 3 different characters. Overall, they just just don't feel that distinct (the ranged characters feel very similar, the melee characters feel similar, etc).

I like the combat better on my ranged character. Combat on the melee characters is rather disappointing, and often more difficult.

Q2:MRWarg-When will you make new creep appearances available in the store? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A2: MZ-I just stood over the shoulder of someone working on these this morning. We’re hoping for u10 and

u11.#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Kind of telling that this was one of the first questions: always prioritizing the store.

again? #LOTRO

Seriously? Have these people done BG? With the number and difficulty of the trash MoBs, this takes hours. It is screaming to be split into wings.

Q4: Do you have any plans to make a new zone for Dale and Erebor or is it just going to be the Instaces?

A4: Just the instances. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Sigh. Back to the 6-9 months development cycle issue, with no long-term planning for the game.

Q5:Schinderhannes-Do you have any ideas/plans for Lotro nobody but you knows about and you think this would

be great? #LOTRO

A5: LS-Yes, yes I do! #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Stupid, useless question that should never have been asked.

Q6: @DWLobsters Level cap increases makes me feel like the endgame is increasingly less attainable. Why not

add new content midgame?

A6: LS- We're working on improving mid=level content such as the moria revamp.

In other words, "no".

Q7:Lathius-Are we going to scale Rift/CD anytime in the near future? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A7: JWB -They're on the list. There's a lot of nostalgia and love for those spaces, so we're taking our time

In other words, "no".

Q8:@Frickinidget-Great work on Bree/Archet appearance! Any plans for other older game areas? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A8: MF- We've been discussing older game areas and how we can bring them up to ROhan quality.

Yes, and I'm sure updating the appearance will take priority over FIXING THE F*CKING BUGS!

Q9: @Strause64 -Hunter class are they getting anything new in future updates or game play? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A9: MZ- We're doing a comprehensive investigation into ALL classes. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

In other words, "no".

Q10: @Lord_Dolvic What advice would you give to someone interested in starting a career in game development?

#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q10: PLay lots of games. All games. Look for Entry level positions and work HARD.

Q10b: Or learn to code and how to work well with others. :P)

Can we stay focused on the game?

A11: MZ-Hoo-ee…need to set the stage by getting neighborhoods consolidated with less vacant housing first.

#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A11:Working out the details of that stuff now.All I can say is that we have a lot of devs interested in doing

some serious home

The first answer makes no sense. What does filling up housing neighborhoods have to do with revamping housing?

If you want fewer vacant houses, you need to give people what they want (i.e., fewer smaller houses, more customization, etc).

At least it sounds like housing is now on the radar. Maybe we'll see an update next year.

I'm not holding my breath.

Q12:@rwfrk In a recent interview with Lotro Reporter you acknoweledged video of a landmass. Can you tell us

about region timeable? U10?

Q12: LS- The next region is in the update after part II of the instance cluster. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

At least we know we're getting a new zone, but the more important question is whether it is included with Rohan, or does it require a separate purchase?

Q13: @dillwillson is there any way you can delete hunters so we dont have to hear them cry anymore?

A13: RH - HEY! I'm a hunter!

A13b MZ- Well in that case....

Stupid, useless question.

Q14: Bohrn_EU-When are you going to fix the forums?

A14: RH - We just revamped http://lotro.com and the forums are currently in the web team's sights. No ETA.

(Soon™!)

In other words, "live with it".

Q15: @EiledonTruvoice What do you do for fun? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A15: MF - I play lots and lots of games. I have very little time, I live here. Help me.

A15b: LS- I work for fun. Don't help Matt.

A15c: MZ- Brew beer. Make Cheese. Craft beards.

A15d: RH- Matt Z has been holding out on me...

Sigh. I really don't care.

Why did you bother answering this live. A DM would have been better.

Q17:@Kheledlire Can we see something very awesome new feature in 2013?Character updates, better mounted

Q18:Sorig09-Will thSere be mounted combat instances in the future?

A18: JWB-There's a lot of design and work going on internally to figure out how to meld MC and instance

gameplay in a satisfying way.

Seriously, why was this not considered during the development of MC. It would show a real commitment to the system to showcase it by developing instances around it.

Q19: @arch07js Plans to expand Hytbold type of non-killkillkill questing to additional areas of the game?

#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A19: JWB - Variety is the spice of life! Yes. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Q20: @scorp_71 Instance Finder was a perfect idea but never adopted by players.Do you plan to review it for

Help solo players to group.

A20: JWB- We're looking into it. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

In other words, "no".

Q21: @DaveFortin are there plans to allow mounted combat in future regions? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A21: LS- Yes. We already have MC content in development. It's in the next region.

How about beyond Westemnet?

Q22: @RannaDylin @Floradine_S: What are your plans to protect RPers from forced emotes?

A22: MZ- Plans? We're done with plans.We're testing a solution right now.

A22b MF - In the meantime we're also putting in "serious business' locales, where those emotes won't work.

This has been needed for 2 years. Bet you it'll be a "store solution".

Q23: @Drewoid13 Are there any plans to revamp questing in the 40s?

A23: LS- Now that Moria is finished, we have our eye on lower levels, but no solid plans.

How about making some long-term plans for revamping zones and scaling cold?

Q24: @Icekiro_RK Hey, My house is really cold. Anyway to use some dragon fire to heat it up?!?

Sorry, Layanor, but one "funny" question/answer is fine, but this chat is too full of them. I'd rather have real questions about the game.

Q25: WhitewolfUK-What were your thoughts on releasing the Rohan cluster into two separate releases. #LOTRO

#DEVCHAT

A25: MZ - This balanced approach allows us to focus more on individual spaces. Speed is often the enemy of

quality… #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A25b:Cramming them all into one release can seriously bring the overall quality level down. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

A25c:It also allows us to work on more long-term improvements that need to simmer at the same time. #LOTRO

#DEVCHAT

A25d: JWB-It was a very hard decision.We'd prefer to release it as a whole.But it's more important to have

quality gameplay. #LOTRO

How many times have they answered this question already?

What's more, you all really shouldn't talk about speed and quality until you can actually produce a quality release. Based on my experience with RoR beta, it seems you all started developing RoR (with perhaps the exception of the MC system) in June 2012, 3 months before the original scheduled launch date, and dumped an alpha version on BR for the users to QA. The quality was severely lacking. Also, should we bring up lag (U6) or the fact that you had to take the game off-line for 7 hours the day after U9?

How is it Layanor's fault that they gave the answers they gave?

This was expected, as I said earlier. It has been the same the last few dev chats that's taken place, and I can't even remember when the last one prior to this was.

This was hosted on LOTRO's own Twitter feed, no?

Layanor is just a player that has taken the time to transcribe it all.

How is it Layanor's fault that they gave the answers they gave?

This was expected, as I said earlier. It has been the same the last few dev chats that's taken place, and I can't even remember when the last one prior to this was.

This was hosted on LOTRO's own Twitter feed, no?

Layanor is just a player that has taken the time to transcribe it all.

I wasn't blaming Layanor for anything. He just had the bad luck of being picked for a stupid, useless question in a long line of stupid, useless questions. The fault likely lies with Sap, who was probably the one passing the questions to the devs, for not balancing the silliness with questions that deserve useful answers.

Completely unsurprised by these responses. Totally pointless and telling us nothing of value. It's as if they intentionally took all the most pathetic questions to answer and even then side-stepped them.

Thank you for posting it at least, Layanor.

#DEVCHAT

updates.#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

So a feature that has split the community down the middle in terms of love and hate is seen as 'well recieved'?

u11.#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

Great. I'm surprised they didn't just cherry pick all the retarded questions that push the Store.

again? #LOTRO

Should have just divided them up. There's absolutely no reason to have put them all together. There's obvious places to divide them, too.

Translation: We're holding off Angmar scaling until the next expansion... so we can scale them and say that's suitable content for a new expansion.

By bringing them up to Rohan quality you mean making them worse, since SoA content is definitely a higher quality than RoR content?

#LOTRO #DEVCHAT

some serious home

The only reason the devs are interested in it now is because they've been told to monetise it. We all know it.

Oh I'm so glad this burning question got picked! It really did need responding to. We need to alert people that clearly haven't been playing the game for over a year that this important detail is made clear. Definitely couldn't have ignored it and answered a better question. Good work, BloodSpeaker... you dense piece of wood.

Want to expand on that? Absolutely pointless.

Another pointless question that anyone who has played the game would probably know.

#DEVCHAT

quality gameplay. #LOTRO

Let me know when this oh so important quality gameplay appears.

I wasn't blaming Layanor for anything. He just had the bad luck of being picked for a stupid, useless question in a long line of stupid, useless questions. The fault likely lies with Sap, who was probably the one passing the questions to the devs, for not balancing the silliness with questions that deserve useful answers.

To be fair, everybody has different priorities. What is useless information to someone might be important to others. But you're right, I'm sure they were carefully chosen by Sap. Regardless, cheers for posting it Layanor ;)

Huh, I was remarking last night how I was really glad they didn't hack up BG into pieces. It felt really good not having to run to different wings. We did it in 3 and a half hours... was sloppy with a few dumb wipes on the LT. I'm confident we'll get it going quite quicker as a good chunk of the time was trying to remember the best way of doing things (and people having different ways they did it as none of us raided together during BG times).

I'm actually surprised they addressed some of the questions they did (Housing, the forums, etc). Yes, there was fluff, but there is always fluff in these chats. I felt there was some slight amount of meat in amongst the fluff this time, and am happy to have gotten them. Could it have been better? Of course. Could it have been much worse? It usually is.

BTW, thanks to Layanor for the transcription and welcome to the forum!

FUCK! Those were the only areas with good quality left in the game >=(

I was watching these unfold in real time on twitter. I was seriously waiting for "Live from NY!! It's Saturday Night!!!"

My favorite joke was about being concerned about quality game play, hence splitting the IC. I hope part II has much better "Quality".