LOTROCommunity

Using Darmokk's graph... and it's a little surprising.

plot-all-mean-ytd.jpg

Apparently the Hobbit had a much higher impact than I would have thought. Presumably it's old players who left but saw the Hobbit and thought 'ah, I should try that again'.

Let's see how long it lasts. If it's long enough, LotRO might be able to ride the success of the Hobbit once a year.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe Turbine saw how bad their numbers were and out of desperation decided to do something like Hobbit presents to increase logins and hide how badly the game is doing. Maybe the presents are a resul

Well it is not in 100 bestsellers on Steam. Steam propably play a role this time also, but I think now it is just a one of elements not even close to significance of first Steam release. I saw Lotro on sale in multiple internet shops, so I think it is combined effort now. I know shop where RoR is priced as low as ~10$. [edit: althrough it might be buyable only in my country, not sure though. also propably custom DRM. Not 100% sure as I obviously did not bought it and will not]

+ there were lots of short sales(like 1-3 days long) in various shops for it. I was browsing some shops for other games so I saw various sales for RoR here and there.

There's a whole bunch of things going on:

- Hobbit movie

- Steam

- people with time off

- buzz on twitter and producer letter. It looks like a piece of nothing to us but the usual game news websites pick it up

Myself I also think the Mac client might help. A lot of people got Macs and look for games. Not many MMORPGs have easy to install Mac capability. And LOTRO has comparably low hardware requirements. While you need lots of RAM now but can live a wimpy graphics chip - such as in a Mac.

Comparing the numbers to previous Christmas times is problematic since last year we had SW:TOR break in. At the time we were holding LOTRO steady, so if there is naturally more people playing and splitting between the games that explains it. Also, it's login numbers, so if people play both games and split by halfing their stay time then you'd still have the same login count.

It is good to see. Wonder how soon it will drop off though. Hopefully slowly.

Lotro's #1 best new player group are people who have never played an MMO before (so they don't know how much better an MMOs basic game play can be).

#2 new player group - very you players (who also don't have anything to compare Lotro to) who may be able to ask for a little money for the game from their parents

#3 player group - MMO players burnt out on WoW or another game AND who don't really mind small things in an MMO being substandard (combat, AH, bags and items, etc).

I swear most a lot of long time players are MMO players who really don't care how well the game plays as long as it 1) has nice landscape graphics, and 2) has the Tolkien setting and lore.

Anyway - we will see how long they can sustain the new people coming in to the game.

With so many games now going F2P it's a lot more possible to swap between games, especially when you have a holiday period with more time on your hands. I suspect this along with the Steam sale, U9 and the Hobbit accounts for this upswing in logins. It is still quite suprising though to be honest.

With so many games now going F2P it's a lot more possible to swap between games, especially when you have a holiday period with more time on your hands. I suspect this along with the Steam sale, U9 and the Hobbit accounts for this upswing in logins. It is still quite suprising though to be honest.

I'm not that surprised, as I think most of this upsurge will bleed off again in a few weeks, as they always do. It's like a holiday gift for Turbine - Here, have some more people logging in, Turbine! - but logins don't necessarily equate to sales on the Store.

Yeah I am surprised as well. Seems our whining on turbine nicke&diming is moot, cause alot of people play it anyway.

I think people will play it - some will stay for a bit, then realize: it's grindy, or it's laggy, or get bored, or ...

I can't see this bump in players lasting more than a few months. Anyone who wants to seriously play may still be turned off by crashes and lag.

Yeah I am surprised as well. Seems our whining on turbine nicke&diming is moot, cause alot of people play it anyway.

Its indeed an interesting thing, that so many of the "old" LOTRO players actually returned to the game.

I left LOTRO at the end of 2011 for SWTOR and returned shortly before the RoR-release.

In the last weeks I noticed (on the german server maiar) that many players who left the game in the last 24 months to games like RIFT, SWTOR and/or GW2 returned.

Those I could contact via Teamspeak told me that they missed the story/world of Middle Earth and that the other games became boring.

I also think that the Hobbit-Film, which is a great success, motivated players to have again a look in LOTRO.

I also think that the Hobbit-Film, which is a great success, motivated players to have again a look in LOTRO.

Interesting. Me seeing Hobbit just strenghtened my decision to never come back to Lotro. How? First Midde-Earth climate in movie, from first minutes in Shire made me want to come back, then something struck me. There was no Turbine Points in movie, there was no cash shop, there was no-email and game screens saying 20% discount on "x" today, there was no reminders about $, no connection to real world for this almost 3 hours I've spent in cinema. So relaxing and diffrent from my time in Lotro after it went freemium.

That mean I will propably won't be able to play any Middle Earth mmorpg(or 99% of mmorpg's overally) for any foresable future, as imho it is certain that next ME mmorpg will also have cash shop and microtransaction based business model. Sad.

@nosam9

It does not really matter if it will drop in few months. Any developer is aware that game popularity will go up and down. Drastic long-term drops matter, drops that are not big and are offset by increase in revenue later on in example after expansion release, instance cluster release (one of reasons instances release separately from x-pac) or by some other thing like Hobbit movie in Lotro case.

Even if it will drop, next Hobbit movie is one the horizon and then next one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the necro but I thought it made more sense to just revive this one than make a new one with the same chart.

Any bets on how far those login figures are going to drop? Will U10 hold it steady or will people quickly get bored?

U10 is really just the last part of a previously released expansion. I don't see how finally releasing what everyone paid for almost 6 months ago is going to generate a lot of new buzz leading to an increase in logins.

The new instances are underwhelming lair bosses,

Seals that were already earned are being removed from our inventory

All Stat bonuses on the Hytbold, Limlight and other gear sets are being removed and replaced with....nothing

The rare Horse-Lords drops were made even more rare, almost unobtainable

Doesn't look like a whole lot of exciting new reasons to login if you've already stopped playing....

Doesn't look like a whole lot of exciting new reasons to login if you've already stopped playing....

I've started playing again after some time away playing SWTOR and then GW2 and I have been enjoying levelling my main and putting some alts through the revamped Moria a lot. I do anticipate though not ever getting that involved in end game LoTRO again, it appears that the only real way for me to enjoy LoTRO at the moment is to always stay one step behind everyone else, that way all the end game crap doesn't bother me anymore!