LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
The MMO Troll

*Crickets*

In other news, looks like the "Holiday Bump" Turbine had for logins is officially over:

weekly-logins-us.png

Down the login numbers go! Maybe not down to Goblin Town, but down all the same. I suspect people are done with the new instances already, and we'll see another bump when the Raid comes out.

I find that graph confusing... what are we looking at? What actual time does the 1-129 represent?

Those are weeks since the graph was started. And this week the decline started again.

So... which week is the holiday bumb... as that was like 3 weeks ago, but that's listing loads of weeks. ^^ Sorry.. :P The graphs that point out where RoI, RoR and the updates were are easier for me to read. ^^

Indeed she is. Talk about your massive learning curves..... ;) The number of nappies you have to change in a single day alone is mind blowing.

Congratulations! It just gets better and better. 1 year old is much more fun than a new baby.

I have 2 girls. 1st baby - worry about everything. exhausting.

2nd baby - don't worry about anything small, much easier. still exhausting though.

Congrats! Having a child is awesome!

Just posted a conspiracy theory to liven things up...check it out.

And for boredom and downturn in logins, yes people are getting bored, very few runs for BG left, everybody and their brother has enough 2nd age symbols for all their alts and even for toons they havent rolled yet.

Having BG drop 2nd age symbols like candy AND having no locks was a big mistake, one or the other but not both. In a few runs with my not so hardcore kin I was able to get 2 symbols and 3 starlits, some players run this thing 20-30 times a day, some of the lower level teal jewellery items are given away for free in GLFF. I personally have gotten about 12 or 13 Gwannins <sp> on my burg. I treat them like battered rings, free to good home.

Just posted a conspiracy theory to liven things up...check it out.

And for boredom and downturn in logins, yes people are getting bored, very few runs for BG left, everybody and their brother has enough 2nd age symbols for all their alts and even for toons they havent rolled yet.

Having BG drop 2nd age symbols like candy AND having no locks was a big mistake, one or the other but not both. In a few runs with my not so hardcore kin I was able to get 2 symbols and 3 starlits, some players run this thing 20-30 times a day, some of the lower level teal jewellery items are given away for free in GLFF. I personally have gotten about 12 or 13 Gwannins <sp> on my burg. I treat them like battered rings, free to good home.

Sounds like another grab for a Quarter End Result , aka Q4 2012.

This seems like a good enough thread for posting completely random stuff.

Just read this interesting blog from David Gaider about "Toxic Environments", in particular he mentions Biowares Social Network. Interesting to see it from the Bioware employees perspective.

And then you have the holier-than-thou CM who mutes and infracts the reasonable ones for lack of utter fanboyism leaving only the really really toxic ones to dominate his forums *chuckles* heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Sappyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

My other games, wargames, are kinda dead as far as development is concerned.

Not sure if you're in to WWII aerial combat Darmokk, but if you are you should also check out 'War Thunder'. Seriously fun F2P flight sim.

Than

Not sure if you're in to WWII aerial combat Darmokk, but if you are you should also check out 'War Thunder'. Seriously fun F2P flight sim.

Thanks!

Updated my steel beasts license, too. Man I am glad I never had to defend the Fulda Gap. I suck. The Soviets would be at the foot of the Pyrenees in no time.

In other news, looks like the "Holiday Bump" Turbine had for logins is officially over:

weekly-logins-us.png

Down the login numbers go! Maybe not down to Goblin Town, but down all the same. I suspect people are done with the new instances already, and we'll see another bump when the Raid comes out.

Damn, that was a sharp decrease in logins last week! I guess Turbine's tactic of making people go into the Store to see the weekly sales didn't work out quite so well, thus why they reversed course.

Congratulations! It just gets better and better. 1 year old is much more fun than a new baby.

I have 2 girls. 1st baby - worry about everything. exhausting.

2nd baby - don't worry about anything small, much easier. still exhausting though.

Congrats! Having a child is awesome!

Until you get to the "terrible two's".... It's not named that for nothing and there isn't a switch when they hit 3 that turns it off lol

Only MMO I'm playing at the moment is GW2.

Tried one of the Neverwinter open beta weekends, hated the style of play so didn't bother with the second and certainly won't be playing the game. Whoever decided that rooting the player characters for the entire duration of nearly every single ability you use should be slapped about with a wet kipper.

Tried TERA, absolutely can't cope with their control system/UI so that's a dead duck.

Not being interested in PvP, I ran out of things to do on Rift when I reached the level cap so dropped that.

Don't like Star Trek Online at all. Have tried it a couple of times, always given up within a fortnight.

Bored with Champions Online but it's paid for with a liftetime sub so I can go back any time and still have a wad of freebie 'cash' to play with.

City of Heroes is history but at least I have some fond memories. Damn those penny pinching accountants...

And as for LOTRO, in spite of the lifetime sub, I haven't logged in for months. Lost interest when they started raising the level cap and adding shedloads of bugs.

Noticed that myself when I bought a brand new dedicated gaming rig. All the bells and whistles on, and it really doesn't look any differently. Mind you, FPS reports over 150, but since the monitor only has a 60fps refresh, that number is as useless as tits on a boar. Just means I can handle a slightly more crowded area than others I suppose. But better pictures? Nope. Pretty much looks the same as everything else. Makes sense I suppose (and I DID download the high def texture install pack) and turned everything on ALL THE WAY. You would think jumping from a nearly 8 year old PC with 3G RAM and dual SLI 8800 GT with 512 and AMDx64 2.1Ghz, things would look WAY better (New rig has 12GB RAM, i7 2600K at 3.4GHZ and a GForce GTX670 with 2Gb of GDDR5). Guess my old rig was just fine.

Well every game usually does have videos of users putting them on maxed setting on youtube and similar video portals, so it's usually easy to check how game looks maxed without owing powerful PC yourself. Besides you could check it yourself - max it on your previous PC just for a while, even if that meant bad fps for duration of a check / test.

Of course 8800 would not allow you to choose "Dx11" option, but as far as I remember - Dx11 option in Lotro is a gimmick at best. I think it added new water effect and some very very minor shader effect and that's basically it.

MMORPGs are not single player games that can be modded to look better.

Here you have modded Crysis 1 game also from 2007.

Of course that's bit of trolling on my side, as it's not fair comparision between First Person Shooter that one of goals was to show-off abilities of CryEngine 2 possiblities with an MMORPG, which will always have to have significantly worse graphics.

Anyway for Lotro - yeah your old rig was powerful enough, at least in my Lotro times. Not sure how / if Lotro requirements increased with ROI and RoR. In my time I played Lotro on C2D 2.0 Mhz + 8600 gt (which is like 60% power of one 8800 so you had much more GPU power) and was still able to play on high settings - just decreasing to medium or lower for Raids and Ettenmoors.

Just a bit underwhelmed was all I guess. I suppose you can only update a DX9 game so far without having to do a total rewrite. And that would have cut out a lot of their player base, seeing as how f2p did raise levels for a while, and who knows how wide the spectrum for PC power was there.