LOTROCommunity

I received a facebook message from a kinmate this morning that he thought my account had been hacked given my characters started disappearing. We'll see or not if it was a good thing he noticed before they deleted my main, my LM, as he had the foresight to send a ticket and apparently a GM banned the account whilst they're on my LM.

So now starts the lovely process with Turbine Customer Service.. and I'm seriously worried about how this is going to go. I'm reading horror stories of how people had characters gutted and how Turbine was like "here's 80G to cover your losses, sucks to be you". It's looking like they won't do rollback resets.

My boyfriend logged on and it said several of my characters don't exist, so I know I've lost my captain (fully guilded jeweller with loads of mats), minstrel (again fully guilded with lots of mats, plus full watcher set .. oh my minstrel shoulders! :( ), champion (fully guilded cook with tons of mats, lovely DN cosmetics, ToO set, draigoch cloak)), hunter ( full guild woodworker with mats, my original main), RK (fully guilded weaponsmith, DN/BG/ToO/Draigoch stuffs) and a lowbie burglar that won't be such a painful loss. I've heard they restore characters, but I do not know to what point. I think what I'm worried about the most is my LM as I keep reading how they do not restore items on characters. She still exists.. but to think all that she had... she was a near perfectly blinged out and wealthy LM.. and my shared storage is a bit of a goldmine. Ugh... if that's all gone and Turbine won't roll back.. it just might be the end of my Lotro days. I wouldn't have the heart to redo it.

I had an attempted hack from China on my Gw2 account a little over a week ago, but thankfully that company has better security. The hacker didn't have access to my email account so couldn't get the login attempt verified. After that, I'd done antivirus and spybot scans which returned nothing and led to many password changes.. yet I didn't change my Lotro one, which I guess is my bad.. but again.. seems there were no keylogger on my PC. I still don't understand how my account name was gotten hold of.. or anything for that matter. I don't visit dodgy sites.. there was apparently nothing on my PC (yet it's been wiped today and I'm starting fresh out of sheer paranoia.)

This just sucks. :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update: all is well with minimal losses. I'm quite relieved and actually somewhat impressed. Really I shouldn't be as I should expect a full restoration, but after reading horror stories.. and well

I'm really sorry this has happened to you, I've never understood hackers that delete characters, I mean what's the point?

I really hope they do manage to restore everything to as close as you had it, please keep us posted as to how you get on.

yet it's been wiped today and I'm starting fresh out of sheer paranoia.

I would have suggested this if you hadn't already started it.

Yeah, I plan on being public about my dealings with Turbine.

As for deleting my characters, perhaps they were getting it ready to try to sell the account? But you'd think they'd have changed the password already. I'm wondering if a fully deleted character is going to be a good thing as they'd have to restore it from some backup point? We'll see.

There is some hope as contrary to what CS sometimes says they have some rollback capability (which probably is fuzzy and doesn't work all the time).

Keyboard loggers are a bit overrated as a method to break into accounts. Most breakins are cross-breakins. Site 1 loses their passwords (encrypted or not) and the attackers systematically try those password on other sites using the same email as a login. The attackers go through great length to hide the theft from site 1.

Also, as of last time the discussion came up the LOTRO forums use no encryption at all. So a network packet sniffing will do. Why there isn't more of an outrage about it is a different matter.

IF they were any sort of competent, a rollback should not be an issue, regardless of whether or not your character has been deleted. Not least because, if it actually did make a difference, THEY could delete your characters far more easily than any hacker! My sympathies. I must say, though, if this happened to me I'd probably just stop playing. Guaranteed, if they couldn't sort out a restore...

There is some hope as contrary to what CS sometimes says they have some rollback capability (which probably is fuzzy and doesn't work all the time).

I'm not getting my hopes up:

Ugh, realistically I think my Lotro days will be over. :/

They have the ability to do rollbacks, but they won't. All they'll do is reset the "deleted" flag in the database, which will put your character back in the same state it was in when the hacker deleted it (similar to the paid undelete policy).

http://support.turbi...77 46 38 22 7 2

"This reimbursement is not a character “rollback” or copy of a previously saved version of your character. Your character will receive items and currency in their inventory or mail."

Of those I know who went through the reimbursement process, in all but one case, Turbine reimbursed ONLY the items specifically named in the help ticket, and gave a standard reimbursement of 50-70g per character to cover the rest (these were level 75 raid-ready characters).

Since rep, levels, completed quests, etc cannot be destroyed by the hacker, they'll remain intact when the characters are undeleted. At worst, you might have to re-grind tokens for a few days to replace your Hytbold armor, but the completed deeds and rep will still be intact, as will guild rep to replace any crafted gear.

Hytbold armour isn't a concern.. but my cloak and necklace from Saruman, critted gold Horselords helm/shoulders, 2 x Cargaraf's rings, Aellos earring from Saruman, 1st age lvl75 book/2nd age 85 staff with every legacy maxed, 3 crystals each, t9 relics and no longer available ingame adamant gems.. even the 900ish gold that was on just that one toon.. those are the huge concerns. A lot of the stuff my LM was wearing isn't at all easy to replace. Shared storage contained several crystals and 1st/2nd age symbols of all levels, plus lots of flakes, shards, sigils. I'm also wondering if they could have done anything with the 130k marks, 20k medallions I have... what about earned relics on the deleted toons.. how about the TP I spent on stat tomes or cosmetics? A lot of questions I want answers to but can't get at the moment.

It's infuriating having to wait on a response. Calling from the Netherlands just isn't feasible. Who knows what sort of bill that would rack up.

Ive always wondered how hackers work...even if I did publish my password here, how would they know my login. Now the forums make much more sense, seems they are un protected. Just a few days ago my kinmates froob storage account was hacked...how would anybody know the login of a froob account? I dont buy the keylogger crap, I think it was picked from the forums as he logged to do lotteries.

Im pretty vigilant when it comes to logins and passwords, Ive bumped in to some pretty unsavory characters in the past and learned some serious lessons. Since Im banned from the forums, my account is probably the safest...how is that for irony???

That sucks! I was grouped with a tribemate when he was hacked and also in Mumble with him, and to turbines credit, he was up and running the next day, and iirc he had some toons deleted and got everything back. I just don't understand why if you can buy your deleted toons back, turbine just can't restore them. If anything for customer service. Oh wait, I forgot we were talking about turbine......

I should probably start a higher level thread about this, but the non-encrypted login on the forums might not matter than much when you are at home on your own ISP.

But if you log into the forums on any kind of wi-fi network that other people are on (Starbucks etc), everyone can see it, including malware they might have on their winblows computers without their knowledge.

Sorry about the hack, Lothirieth. One possibility of a root cause - which Turbine will never openly admit to or take responsibility for - is that the official forum database breach (reported in considerable detail here) might have left your information open to someone's theft a while back, and it was simply your turn for the thief to hack.

Over 3 days since I sent my ticket. Still no response. Average response time is supposed to be between 2-3 days. I wouldn't have an issue with having to wait for my account to be unbanned, aside from the 10 day limit to get characters reinstated ingame.

edit: or rather they didn't bother to tell me they'd unbanned me. tried logging into the official forums out of curiousity and I could do so.

now comes the scary bit. Seeing what state my toons are in and beginning the fight to get them back. :(

Firstly it sucks this happen to you.

Secondly I hope you get everything back.

Lastly not sure how much you roleplay, if you dont get everything back perhaps you could roleplay this a little and have you character suffering from a mugging and you set off looking for justice.

Last year the account of a kinmate of me was hacked and all chars have been wiped out. He called the phone support and all chars were restored within a week. Also he got back his equipment.

I am not sure, but I think he got everything back beside the Gold/money. I will ask him, when he is online again for more details because I just remember that his chars were deleted by the hacker and later he had them back again full equipped, but needed money for repairs after a raid (and he had before the hack much Gold). Also he missed only one of our weekly raids we performed in this time-period, so Turbine was able to help him within 7 days.

Maybe he can tell me additional informations which will help you.

Best regards.

To apply for item reimbursement, players must submit an in-game ticket for each affected character within 10 days of their account being compromised.

Well, I've had 6 characters deleted but you can only have two tickets open. I asked specifically to be helped with what the process is and I only got a canned "your ticket is being escalated" response. I added a comment to that ticket about having multiple toons deleted (listed all their names).

It's precisely these situations in which a canned response is NOT appropriate. People have just had something violated. They're angry and hurt and worried and need answers. Instead, my anxiety about the situation is increased as I haven't a clue if I've done the right thing. Shame on Turbine for not even having the decency to have a real person talk to people who have had this happen. You'd think hacked accounts would be a high priority!

Mylotro shows how much money my toons had before they were hacked so I'm hoping that's enough proof to have it restored. But.. they ransacked my shared storage. All symbols gone (multipe 2nd/1st agers of each level), all shards/sigils/crests/legendary shards/fragments gone. Thankfully they didn't touch my starlit crystals. My LM is intact aside from missing 1k gold. My personal house is gone.. memories and trophies vanished.. stuff that's only available at certain festivals. They thankfully didn't mess with the toon that had my kin house (that would have been an awful loss). They even deleted my friends list! Yet they left the ignore list alone. :/

So now I have to wait and see how they'll return my deleted toons and how no longer available stuff such as the old Annuminas armour will be handled.

It's almost hilarious now that I don't even have the money to repair my LMs armour or pay the upkeep on my kin house.