LOTROCommunity

Actually I am in an ettenmoor Battlegroup on Maiar. I asked in teamspeak if anyone had an account which was hacked.

One of them told me that his account was hacked and he noticed this on a Saturday when he logged in and all chars were deleted.

He was told to use a special link on a turbine page to raise there a ticket. On monday he got everything back and restored despite the money. For the Gold he had to raise an extra ticket and finally he also got this back.

This was not the kinshipmember. he is actually not online but I will ask him how he got his chars restored by Turbine after his account was hacked and will post it here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update: all is well with minimal losses. I'm quite relieved and actually somewhat impressed. Really I shouldn't be as I should expect a full restoration, but after reading horror stories.. and well

Sorry about the hack, Lothirieth. One possibility of a root cause - which Turbine will never openly admit to or take responsibility for - is that the official forum database breach (reported in considerable detail here) might have left your information open to someone's theft a while back, and it was simply your turn for the thief to hack.

That's a good point too. Who knows how much data was retrieved, and how long they've been sitting on it. Even if the account was secured by a 15 digit password with alpha-numerics and special symbols, 2 years is about the amount of time I'd expect them to try to force a hack, especially on an account with that much gold to mine in it. How much real money do you think could have been made with all that was taken? As bad as a hacker is, however, my special disgust is held against the players who use their services and allow them to thrive. If no one even bothered to use those gold selling/hacker wares, there would be no market at all.

Is there any other company out there that would allow their market base to suffer that sort of grief, then do the LEAST they can to rectify the situation, except Turbine/Warner?

I'd say my account was probably one of the more lucrative ones.. over 1k gold on one toon alone, piles and piles of mats.. but.. whilst they stole valuable symbols that might make them a couple thousand G on the AH, they left the starlit crystals and relic removal scrolls.. even some t7/t8 relics. They didn't touch my marks/med which they could have converted to loads of emp scrolls. I'm not quite sure they knew the value of everything and likely vendored. I'll never know ofc.

Update: all is well with minimal losses. I'm quite relieved and actually somewhat impressed. Really I shouldn't be as I should expect a full restoration, but after reading horror stories.. and well we all know what Turbine's customer service is like.. I had myself prepared for a fight and significant losses.

I'm unsure as to how quickly they responded given to them never alerting me that my account had been unbanned. Also after submitting the initial ticket to have my characters undeleted, I didn't log in for a few days (no point checking constantly and fretting I thought.) The actual escalation of the initial ticket and all tickets for each toon that I then had to send was done in minutes. Again I didn't log in for a few days after submitting all tickets for my toons.

All gold was restored and most items.. even down to icky filth. :P Only my champ's bags seemed a little sparse after retrieving all things from the mail but who knows, perhaps I was organised on one toon. ;) All shared storage items were returned and no gear/LIs were lost. The only loss was my house (though all items except my Map Table) were in escrow. I went ahead and rebought my house as I wanted to retain the location.

So all in all I'm VERY happy with the way things turned out. Very relieved too. So thank you +Zirgryzgor for restoring everything. :)

• Upvote 1

Turbine can do things right too ;) I wonder how much of the horror stories is actually true. Sure, some might be 100% accurate, but I think most are highly flawed.

Indeed they can, even the ones we often revile the most have their good days (Heaton and the other CMs). I do think we acknowledge when Turbine does good things here, and happily celebrate those actions and decisions, I've seen it myself. That said, it is human nature to focus on the bad things, especially when there is nothing good to break up the string of failures, so it looks like we never acknowledge anything good Turbine does. I think it is simply that they rarely do anything right.

Turbine can do things right too ;)

Sure they can. :) I'm not the sort to wholly criticise them no matter what. I want to give credit when it's due. It's not been due so much as of late, but I do admit to falling prey to the whole focusing-on-the-negatives thing humans are so prone to. ;)

I need to remember to send a ticket that will hopefully get to that GM to thank him/her for what they've done. I know they're just doing their job, but receiving thanks always feels nice.

Sure they can. :) I'm not the sort to wholly criticise them no matter what. I want to give credit when it's due. It's not been due so much as of late, but I do admit to falling prey to the whole focusing-on-the-negatives thing humans are so prone to. ;)

I need to remember to send a ticket that will hopefully get to that GM to thank him/her for what they've done. I know they're just doing their job, but receiving thanks always feels nice.

That's a great gesture and if they get your thanks I'm sure it will be appreciated.I'm happy to hear that the restoration turned out as well as it did.

It would appear that if Turbine just tweaked the canned GM responses for issues like this, they would have a very solid (and much appreciated) service for accounts that get compromised.

Of course it was Codies who instigated this policy in the light of fierce and continuous opposition from Turbine. I took advantage of Turbines inability to talk within their company to ram this through and present them with a fait accompli after my GM's had laboured long and hard to produce something workable from the toolset.

I'm delighted to see they can still do this for their customers, even if it's only when the mood seems to take them...

Yeah, I got a pretty heated phone call from them after we announced it.

Once they realised I'd been liaising with the person they'd given to me to talk to and got approval and that person hadn't communicated it to anyone else they said "if we'd realised what you were proposing we would never have approved it". Shortly afterwards that liaison person disappeared to work for Blizzard and communications went back to being direct to the Project Office with the inevitable blanket of "no" to further proposals...

Yep, too resource heavy and didn't come in with their stated aim of hitting their cost per ticket number that seemed to drive their support model.

We utilised our teams "quiet" time in the small hours of the mornings to conduct the investigations and do the grunt work of issuing the reimbursements (a non-trivial task for our GM's by the way). Then we'd follow up on the hackers account trail to see where we could nail them at source.

In order to pull this off we often had to get a backup of the whole database from before the hack, put that onto a backup system, log into that and snapshot the players items and then manually put this stuff back onto the players current char on the live system.

I've just dug around in my mails for volume and it looks something like the following for April 2011

So you can see the amount of extra work we had to put in once we'd initiated the policy.

Week 15 - 28

Week 16 - 32

Week 17 - 30

Week 18 - 38

Week 19 - 35

We had a ton of really clever event proposals that were continually declined as well.

A lot of the events at the end of the F2P server beta and of course the final days of the Euro service were based on stuff we'd prepped and tested on the QA server at Codies. I don't recall a single proposed event (and a lot of them used some very clever stuff the GM's had experimented with) that was approved, always on the grounds that "server stability was at risk". In some ways our final "unapproved" events were my GM's way of saying to the powers that be "See? We could do this, we know how to make it work without crashing the server...look what you've been missing"

We had a terrific idea for a kind of 100-1 Lotro trivia competition which I nicked the concept from the XBLA game, and that got buried in a welter of many, many cooks spoiling the broth. We submitted the questions and got nothing but hurdles in the way. In at least one instance the German localised questions were marked wrong by Turbine's reviewers because they didn't understand the difference in the German and English texts. I think the question was "the name of the pony that accompanies the fellowship and is left behind at the gates of Moria". The name in the German text is not the same as the English text (I think it's something like "Fritz"?) anyway it came back wrong which generated a bit of a "ffs, teeth sucking" from me and my seniors.