LOTROCommunity

Turbine's update schedule

Hajile

Curiosity has gotten the better of me.

I seem to recall that back in the days before F2P, Turbine announced that they would be divorcing the book updates from the content patches moving forwards, rechristening them the more sober and humdrum "Updates" instead of the more thematically relevant "Books" and numbering them from 1 and onwards. They, of course, claimed that doing so would enable them to provide content updates more frequently. While I don't doubt that this has been the case, there can be no question that the updates themselves are now significantly smaller.

That's not what I'm wondering at the moment, however. What I'm wondering is what has happened tot he genera frequency of the books themselves - are they more or less regular, or is their frequency about the same? I can't seem to find a chronicle of patches and their contents for the life of the game.

No pressing urgency for a response. I'm just curious whether Turbine's "more frequent updates" statements at the time was their usual tricksy double speak for "less significant content and less frequent books, but we're delivering less in a quicker time frame and in a greater number of instalments, so we weren't lying, honest!"

RoI was also a year behind f2p release, if I remember correctly.

F2P for NA was released in september 2010 and of course in the EU in November. Since then we've had 9 Updates, and one coming fairly soon, since Update 10 is on Bullroarer and tends to be there around 2 weeks before release(if I go by the last few updates).

So 10 Updates in 2.5 years.

Would be worth seeing how many updates we had in the 2.5 years prior to f2p.

Some info on their wiki page. I'll try to summarise the pre-F2P updates.

Book 9: Shores of Evendim - June 14, 2007.

Book 10: The City of the Kings - August 21, 2007.

Book 11: Prisoner Of The Free Peoples - October 24, 2007.

Book 12: The Ashen Wastes - February 13, 2008.

Book 13: Doom of the Last-King - April 24, 2008.

Book 14: The Ring-forges of Eregion - July 22, 2008.

Book 15: Daughter of Strife - November 18, 2008.

Expansion - Mines of Moria - November 18, 2008.

Book 7: Leaves of Lórien - March 17, 2009.

Book 8: Scourge of Khazad-dûm - June 23, 2009.

Expansion - Siege of Mirkwood - December 1, 2009

Book 1: Oath of the Rangers - March 1, 2010.

Book 2: Ride of the Grey Company - September 10, 2010 (F2P started)

That's all the pre-F2P updates and expansions. So 9 updates/expansions in 2.5 years pre-F2P compared to the 10 updates/expansions in 2.5 years after F2P. However, the number of updates/expansions does not reflect the quality/quantity of those updates/expansions.

In short, nothing has changed, except now Turbine claims they are doing updates which are significantly smaller than pre-F2P. The players (especially VIPs) have gotten nothing from the F2P change-over, despite Turbine's promises of much more frequent content updates.

They lied, what a shock!

In short, nothing has changed, except now Turbine claims they are doing updates which are significantly smaller than pre-F2P. The players (especially VIPs) have gotten nothing from the F2P change-over, despite Turbine's promises of much more frequent content updates.

They lied, what a shock!

Exactly. I only really care about new landmasses. Book updates aren't interesting to me because there hasn't been an interesting story since SoA and I'm not a fan of questing at level cap.

So what I see since F2P is Isengard, Great River and Eastemnet (and that forest place when U11 hits). Even GR wasn't interesting because it was post-level cap stuff (maybe it would be better if I levelled a character through it now?). Compare that to Evendim, Forochel, Eregion, Moria, Lothlorien, Mirkwood and Enedwaith (along with increased zone size like Trollshaws and Misty Mountains) as pre-F2P, post-F2P is a joke.

I would add that comparing pre-f2p 2,5 year vs after-f2p 2,5 year is unfair. Why? They've spent alot of pre-f2p time preparing f2p transition and that's what used alot of devs time. Managment was also busy with this and with negotating&preparing Turbine sale and fit into WB corporation.

Additionally huge majority of mmorpg's that transition to f2p or freemium (and Lotro was not exception in this matter) withhold content release in months before f2p because f2p transition need content released with f2p or / and shortly after as 'sweeting the deal' for current players and as a 'fly-catcher' for returning and new players.

Enedwaith felt like they took assets they developed for various updates/ further expansion and slapped them together because there was no time to develop anything more coherent.

Thanks for this info, guys.

Including Moria and Mirkwood, I count 13 updates in the 2.5 years pre-F2P.

So, going by what we know, previous to the decision to take the game F2P, they delivered 11 updates (9 updates, 1 full expansion and 1 mini-expansion) in the space of approximately 30 months since the launch of the game. Including Mirkwood, which would have completed its development by the end of this period and was launching imminently, that's an average of one update every 2.7 months.

We had the 10-month dearth of content while Turbine were secretly plotting to take the game F2P, during which time we got another two updates. I've disqualified this time frame from the above calculation as it was a transitional period during which there was a great upheaval going on behind the scenes, directly attributable to the F2P move. It would unnecessarily obfuscate the true frequency of the pre-F2P updates to include this period in the calculations. In any case, it could be said that while Turbine were preparing the game for F2P, they let the release schedule slide to one update every 5 months.

Following the F2P switch over in September 2010, there was a change in the way updates were delivered. Turbine promised more frequent updates that were not married to books, and so moving forwards they would ultimately be able to deliver a greater amount of content for us to enjoy. What they delivered was 10 updates (8 updates and 2 mini-expansions) in the space of 29 months. That is a frequency of one update every 2.9 months.

Hmm. Since F2P, the updates have been far smaller and actually slightly less frequent.

Can we now consider the myth that F2P results in greater output well and truly debunked?

Thanks for this info, guys.

Including Moria and Mirkwood, I count 13 updates in the 2.5 years pre-F2P.

So, going by what we know, previous to the decision to take the game F2P, they delivered 11 updates (9 updates, 1 full expansion and 1 mini-expansion) in the space of approximately 30 months since the launch of the game. Including Mirkwood, which would have completed its development by the end of this period and was launching imminently, that's an average of one update every 2.7 months.

We had the 10-month dearth of content while Turbine were secretly plotting to take the game F2P, during which time we got another two updates. I've disqualified this time frame from the above calculation as it was a transitional period during which there was a great upheaval going on behind the scenes, directly attributable to the F2P move. It would unnecessarily obfuscate the true frequency of the pre-F2P updates to include this period in the calculations. In any case, it could be said that while Turbine were preparing the game for F2P, they let the release schedule slide to one update every 5 months.

Following the F2P switch over in September 2010, there was a change in the way updates were delivered. Turbine promised more frequent updates that were not married to books, and so moving forwards they would ultimately be able to deliver a greater amount of content for us to enjoy. What they delivered was 10 updates (8 updates and 2 mini-expansions) in the space of 29 months. That is a frequency of one update every 2.9 months.

Hmm. Since F2P, the updates have been far smaller and actually slightly less frequent.

Can we now consider the myth that F2P results in greater output well and truly debunked?

Simple answer: Yes, we can.

Now Turbine would say that this isn't fair at all, since they now consider the monthly patches to be new content, so although we aren't getting true Updates every month, we are getting something new (Store updates, bug-fixes, class changes), therefore the frequency of new content has gone up drastically since F2P. That's all semantics of course, since no one would consider the monthly patches to be true new content as Updates are, and even when we do get actual Updates they are much smaller than pre-F2P on average.

So, the more complicated answer is also Yes, unless you are a complete moron and believe anything Turbine says.

That's all semantics of course, since no one would consider the monthly patches to be true new content as Updates are...

I was just looking at what the updates included and I couldn't help but sigh. Here's a quick rundown incase people forgot:

Update 1 - Winter-home and more open content for F2Pers.

Update 2 - Eriador cluster, V3 B3.

Update 3 - Inn of the Forsaken, Halls of Night (yeah, I don't see anyone running those now either) and Icy Crevasse and Attack at Dawn.

Update 4 - Rise of Isengard.

Update 5 - V3 B5 and the delayed RoI instance cluster (so doesn't count as a seperate update).

Update 6 - Great River, Roots of Fangorn and V3 B6.

Update 7 - Scaled Fornost and Storm on Methedras.

Update 8 - Riders of Rohan.

Update 9 - Scaled DG cluster and half of the delayed RoR cluster (again, doesn't count).

Update 10 - Scaled Eriador cluster and the other half of the delayed RoR cluster.

Some revamps in there but just from glancing the vast majority of these updates consists of reworking existing content and only a few that I would class as true updates.

Someone has posted a thread about this thread over on the forums: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?500803-Turbine-s-update-schedule

This did make me laugh:

"I feel I should note that lotrocommunity is the least reliable lotro information site out there. It's populated largely by the jaded, the banned and some former Codemasters employees.

As for the rate of development, comparing it to LOTRO's first year is absurd, as much of that content would have already been at least partially developed Pre-launch. At the moment Turbine's stuck to their proposed monthly update schedule, and personally I am satisfied with it."

Someone has posted a thread about this thread over on the forums: http://forums.lotro....update-schedule

This did make me laugh:

"I feel I should note that lotrocommunity is the least reliable lotro information site out there. It's populated largely by the jaded, the banned and some former Codemasters employees.

How kind... And as for the reliable bit.. here people don't get banned or have their posts deleted as part of covering things up.. so...

As for the rate of development, comparing it to LOTRO's first year is absurd, as much of that content would have already been at least partially developed Pre-launch.

This is a reasonable argument.

At the moment Turbine's stuck to their proposed monthly update schedule, and personally I am satisfied with it."

But this seems ignorant. :P

I don't expect that thread to stay for much longer though. Basically because this place was linked to. ^^

As for the rate of development, comparing it to LOTRO's first year is absurd, as much of that content would have already been at least partially developed Pre-launch.

That's odd, I recall the fanbois claiming that the first-year content was NOT developed pre-launch.

And even if it was developed earlier, that doesn't negate Paiz's promise to put out one update per month.

It's almost as if some people deliberately alter their perception of history just to prove the naysayers wrong. (See also: Fanbois claiming Patience never said "convenience not advantage", even after Sapience confirmed that she did.)

Edit: And if anyone from that thread is reading this, yes, I am among those evil "banned" people. I'm banned because I hacked the Google Cache servers, changed the cached version of a FAQ page, then used that hacked page to prove my side of an argument. Or at least, that's what Sapience and Celestrata claimed when they gave me infractions for referencing the cached page...

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?463545-Why-all-the-constant-whining&p=6230056#post6230056

http://i.imgur.com/k0EUA.png

http://i.imgur.com/nGEDM.png

http://i.imgur.com/Qmnzh.png

I'm not banned on the LOTRO Forums, nor have I ever had a single infraction there. I post here because I choose to, the discussions are honest and not subject to over-reaching CMs hiding and deleting conversations they don't want on the official forums. I would love for those folks who think this LOTROCommunity site is full of Troll and whatnot to come over here and take us to task on what we post. Call us on our "bullshit", so to speak.

I expect in very short order, when we are quite able to "show our work" and defend every one of our posts, maybe they will be a little less dismissive of this community.

Nah, I'm with Jedy2, I'd rather they stay over there. We've already had the likes of DarkCountry or whatever his name was over here to darken our door.

We don't need the other rabid Turbine Defenders over here.

Exactly. Besides, they may think we're a source of unreliable information but it's definitely not the case. Bring more of those sorts of people over and we'll be filled with subjective arguments, petty insults and outright lies. Some of us may be jaded, yes, but that doesn't mean we can't be objective.

"I feel I should note that lotrocommunity is the least reliable lotro information site out there. It's populated largely by the jaded, the banned and some former Codemasters employees"

So a person who is accusing LotroCommunity of beeing the leeast reliable is posting an information which is 0% reliable? I mean how could that person know? Is he an undercover user here or something? He knows all CM employees etc.?

Turbine's forums must be really a VERY reliable source of information if more people like the guy i quoted are posting there...

It is because we have this forum and even more because we had CM forums where we had alot of freedom (except faya who was too strict about writing in different languages or i should rather say, very inconsistant when enforcing the different languages rules) we know how things should be handled to not divide the player base so much as Turbine managed to divide in such a short time.

Turbine's forums are more like they would be here (in Poland) if we were still under...comunism...

PS: i never, ever had an account on Turbine's forums so no i'm not banned one :P

haha, wish I had an account so I could go post there, but then I would be proving some of those people partially correct.

I will add Turbine won, my wifes account is back to fremium and mine is scheduled for extinction in a few weeks. Mark this as a victory fo Sap™ and his lovely mate, they have cost Turbine 2 founders and 5 year subs. Mission accomplished they can now rely on some snotty F2P kid and his daddy's credit card or some white knighters to replace the income they have lost from my wife and I.

Been doing Neverwinter Beta, looks to be a fun game, GMs are helpful and the CMs arent assholes. Maybe Sap™ should make an account there and learn something.

I would consider the official forums pretty damn unreliable myself.

Ill admit Im banned and jaded, not against the game, just the people that are the forward face of it.

removed.

Have to say.. this is the sort of the stuff that causes such things to be said about our community. :/

I will add Turbine won, my wifes account is back to fremium and mine is scheduled for extinction in a few weeks.

What do you mean yours is scheduled for extinction?

Anyway,

Bleh, I absolutely hate it when people lump together others.. in any way, shape or form. The couple of people who have made insulting posts over there obviously don't have a clue about what's written here. They've skimmed and assumed and that irritates me quite a bit. :P

I've posted my bit in that thread.

Regarding Great River.. that was one update I was fairly happy with. I'd be pleased if we had more of that... and more 6 mans. There are far too many 3 mans! And they should incentivise more of the older stuff to make it actually worth running.

Yes I changed my quote, kissing ass is a bit too strong and my coffee isnt quite strong enought this AM.

Scheduled for extinction means also going freemium, cancelled my sub for good, they can find somebody else to pay their salaries and they can thank their CM team for that. Ive rarely been critical of the actual game here, just their forums team and how they over step their bounds time and time again.

It also contained facts which placed Turbine under a bad light. Try reposting the facts without the link and you will get banned as soon as Rick Heaton gets to see it. Facts are not acceptable on the official forums, unless they strongly favorable to Turbine. Something negative is quickly deemed "half-truth" and "trolling".