LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Brrokk

Is there anyone else here still enjoying LOTRO?

Yes, I guess mounted combat would be good as a hunter. As a guardian it just doesn't seem sensible.

Mounted combat is easy for all classes. All you need to do it use the /follow command and you will have no issues fighting on horseback. Just create a shortcut for it on you mounted quick slot bars

I seem to have a MC skill that follows for me.

Update: I hit 85 the other day and then the real grind hit me, new LI's. Forget F2p and the store, LI's were the beginning of the end for me, it just didn't seem that way at the time. By far the biggest grind in the game, IF you aren't a casual and want to be of some use to a raid group. I'm about as casual as you can get now, but I still have a need for my toons to be geared at a certain level, and turbine has saw fit to make that as difficult as possible.

Are there any other games that have near the gear grind that LOTRO has? I never played WoW to any extent, is WoW this grindy at high levels? Rift wasn't, normal dungeon or PvP gear grind. ToR was about the same. GW2 is fairly easy to gear up in, unless you want a legendary weapon, which is purely optional since it's just a cosmetic. If you took away LI's LOTRO would fall neatly in line with all these games.

I think in terms of LIs I have been quite lucky. I hit 85 not that long ago and some kin mates crafted me all the second age LIs I needed. I had enough runes to level them quickly and enough skirmish marks and gold to get the scrolls needed. I think if I were starting fresh without years worth of skirmishing behind me and no kin to help out it would have been a nightmare.

LI = glff "1/3 for sch farm, need tank and dps"

I ran it 6 times last weekend and had all sorts of relics drop. Total time invested was maybe 1.5 hours. I was blessed to get a pro warden to tank the mobs and an RK who would throw heals if needed.

Hmf. I'd actually say that LIs are the worst feature of this game. The reason being that they are intended, but they completely fail at their stated purpose. An LI was meant to make my weapon "grow with me". (And an implication of "legendary" is that they should be rare). Instead, you get several every time you go through a fight, and you have to deconstruct and replace the one you're using frequently. Rubbish!

But what other options are there? First, I'm not at all convinced that you have to have an LI. I've noticed quite a few weapon drops (e.g. the "Miner's Hammer"), which actually have better stats than an LI of similar level. I haven't even looked at crafted weapons above level 60 (oh yes, the LI system rendered one craft pointless too), but if they are comparable or better than drops, there must be some good ones. I think it would be possible to live without LIs. Alternatively, I can at least hang on to them longer rather than replacing every ten levels. There isn't really a huge upgrade at each step. I used a level 60 LI up to level 75 with no obvious ill effects.

But on the way to level cap, if you keep your LI slots filled with junk weapons and harvest them regularly, you arrive with plenty of relics and IXP runes. So it's always possible to take a weapon for your level and equip it almost to max straight away. It just frustrates me that I have to "play the system" like this, because the stated purpose of LIs is so badly failed.

I think it would be possible to live without LIs.

For MOST classes, in MOST content spaces its very much possible to play without LIs, There's two roles where I'd rate an LI as crucial, 'Tanking, and Healing'. The trick is that non-LI weapon drops taper off radically at 60, and are practically non-existant at 65+.

The only spaces where I'd absolutely insist on an LI would be an on-level T2 raid, if you weren't in one of those 2 roles.

But on the way to level cap, if you keep your LI slots filled with junk weapons and harvest them regularly, you arrive with plenty of relics and IXP runes.

This is actually a key part of the process, mining 3rd agers for legacies. You'll need the TP for the crystals trust me, but a lot of people scrap LI's before level 31 but if you can manage it bring them to full cap then deconstruct.

You'll need the TP for the crystals trust me,

Those seem to drop enough in game. I play like 1-2 times a week and have already managed to get another 4 since the new instances/raids came out.

I havent seen them drop, but ive mostly farmed for seals anyway. Ive done IP2 a few times, will invest some time into running that next see what drops.

I have plenty of IXP runes and a fair amount of relics because I am OCD about always having junk LI's leveling, but over 9k shards to make 1 level 80 relic? And that's not even the exordinary ones that take 4 tier 9 relics to make, that's an insane amount of grind. I've never had a starlit crystal and don't care if I ever do.

I would be much happier with the system before LI's, Use a crafted weapon while you grind instances for better weapons, and remember, there use to be rare drops from landscape mobs for amour and weapons. Weaponsmith isn't the only craft ruined with LI's, Woodworker, Tailor, and Metalsmith are near useless now too. even though the latter are because of the wide spread adaption of raid armour I. E. radiance gear. It's gone, but the damage done to crafters still lingers.

After yesterday I put my thinking cap on and asked myself, "OK, how could LIs be changed so that they WOULD meet their stated purpose of giving me a weapon which grows with me?" Here are my ideas.

(1) Do away with IXP runes completely! Why would I wait for a weapon to grow with me if I can do it an instant way instead?

(2) Remove minimum level requirements from all LIs, making them basically level-less. Otherwise there will always be better ones than the one I started with a few levels later and I'll surely want to deconstruct the old one or throw it away.

(3) Making them level-less will mean that the same traits will be available at all character levels, which seems bad. Let's make the choices of traits at each reforge fairly fixed, better ones coming later. Then link the reforge option to character level! (E.g. you must be level 60 to get your third reforge, 70 to get fourth, etc.) That way, the weapon really will grow with me.

Another idea which I think could be good but isn't essentail to my main plan:

* Make them, er, legendary. Fairly infrequent drops, not many available from quest rewards. Not dropped by every orc you meet as at present!

The main problem with implementing this? Probably that I've removed quite a few well-selling items from the Store! But what about replacing these with Store-bought cosmetic appearances? (I've just vastly reduced the number of LI types in the game, so why not re-use the available 3D models?)

OK, I know there's no way all this will happen, it was just an interesting exercise to think through the implications of some changes.

Now that every one has a legendary weapon, you can't make them ultra rare.

What you can do is give everyone a legendary weapon the way we get our first one, and never ever give any other. Then you give an xp bar to your weapon as currently, but instead of increasing in level, you use it as a kind of capped money for improvements. Can't earn more than 4k item xp at any given time (as for commendations), spend 1k to upgrade the tier of a legacy, 4k to add one, 2k to change one, or smaller amount as points to up your legacy ranks. With level cap increase you have new limits on how much you can up your legacies to give more potency to individual legs. You could also tie the maximum legacy quality to a given level (a 45 player would only have access to T2 legacies, 55 T3, 65 T4, 75 T5 and 85 T6).

You could even add special heritage runes to the hardest content to give more potencies to legs (the way we change from 3A to 2A and then 1A).

Good ideas are lost on Turbine if you can't milk the players.

I know these have been mentioned before and many times on the game forums, but here we go.

(1) Pretty basic I know, but you don't destroy the weapon every couple of levels. You keep it and it actually grows with you.

(2) The weapon comes with deeds that unlock as you use it. Kill 1,000 goblins, it gets a goblin slayer buff/title, down a raid on tier 2 a few times and it gets a damage buff etc etc

(3) The weapon has slots which you can fit things in to that drop from raids/instances/crafting/etc. eg a pommel slot, gem slots. They can even keep the relic system if they want.

(4) The weapon has cosmetic slots so that you can change the appearance and effects of the weapon.

I know these have been mentioned before and many times on the game forums, but here we go.

(1) Pretty basic I know, but you don't destroy the weapon every couple of levels. You keep it and it actually grows with you.

(2) The weapon comes with deeds that unlock as you use it. Kill 1,000 goblins, it gets a goblin slayer buff/title, down a raid on tier 2 a few times and it gets a damage buff etc etc

(3) The weapon has slots which you can fit things in to that drop from raids/instances/crafting/etc. eg a pommel slot, gem slots. They can even keep the relic system if they want.

(4) The weapon has cosmetic slots so that you can change the appearance and effects of the weapon.

Indeed, this is the ideal scenario (IMHO). Your weapon is almost like a second character or pet with its own stats, traits, virtues that you can level in much the same way as your own toon.

Indeed, this is the ideal scenario (IMHO). Your weapon is almost like a second character or pet with its own stats, traits, virtues that you can level in much the same way as your own toon.

Yup. I think that was what someone once suggested (and I often repeated) for LIs. Treat them like Skirmish soldiers so that customisation doesn't require a complete rebuilding, only retraiting after the work has been done.

I haven't logged in for ages. Last time I did, Bree and the surrounding area was completely empty. Got on my horse and rode around a bit, got disheartened with the whole thing and left. Not quite sure what happened but something obviously put me off the game.

I haven't logged in for ages. Last time I did, Bree and the surrounding area was completely empty. Got on my horse and rode around a bit, got disheartened with the whole thing and left. Not quite sure what happened but something obviously put me off the game.

It definitely doesn't feel like the same game I used to play. There's no 'magic' anymore. No roaming for rare named mobs or secret little locations. Very little social interaction (everyone is expected to know the end-game fights and be prepared to farm them without completing them properly), unless it's to insult people on their gear and/or traits. No real end-game goal (I don't see anyone wanting to complete T2C raids outside of hardcore kins, most just want to farm T1 Erebor). All taken into consideration, and even the huge amount of old scaled end-game content, the game is now nothing more than an interface for a spreadsheet with some extra long login times and lag spikes.

It definitely doesn't feel like the same game I used to play. There's no 'magic' anymore. No roaming for rare named mobs or secret little locations. Very little social interaction (everyone is expected to know the end-game fights and be prepared to farm them without completing them properly), unless it's to insult people on their gear and/or traits. No real end-game goal (I don't see anyone wanting to complete T2C raids outside of hardcore kins, most just want to farm T1 Erebor). All taken into consideration, and even the huge amount of old scaled end-game content, the game is now nothing more than an interface for a spreadsheet with some extra long login times and lag spikes.

This made me realise one thing that I really do miss (and it may be a case of rose-tinted specs a bit). One thing I really miss is planning for one really long raid session. We didn't do it often, it would always be a Saturday night, the afternoon may be spent with crafters making all the food and hope tokens and scrolls and junk we would need for the evening, guides would be read, everyone briefed and at 8pm right through to 1am would be spent in the Rift or Hele or whatever raid it was at the time.

We have never been a hardcore raiding kin so could never do these things in record times but it was an event, a big social event that would be planned meticulously but gradually degrade into more faliure as more was drunk but it was a hell of a lot more fun than farming quick tier 1 instances over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...

I think we haven't really seen those big "event" raids since before Isengard and it's a shame.

I haven't logged on for months. I never thought I would quit Lotro, but after the release of Rohan I had little choice. The game became so unbearably buggy for me, with it crashing every few minutes, it has been unplayable, and the few times I have checked back on since the release, it has been no better.

What has surprised me so much is how little I am actually missing the game. I truly loved this game when it came out, and I carried on loving it through Moria, Mirkwood and yes even after the FTP and CM transitions. However in the last year things have changed for the worse. Maybe I am not missing it because I played it too much and it is good to have a break. Maybe it is because I am now busier in real life.

Or there is the possibility, much as I hate to admit, that it is no longer a particularly good game...

Nostalgia got me tonight, played some old monkey island and grim fandango. I feel like enforcing some of it on you too, this thread will do;

http://kotaku.com/all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-from-playing-lucasa-470934001

Enjoy.

Nostalgia got me tonight, played some old monkey island and grim fandango. I feel like enforcing some of it on you too, this thread will do;

http://kotaku.com/al...ucasa-470934001

Enjoy.

Hey, with Disney's butchering of the Lucasarts legacy, I don't fault you for your private tribute.