LOTROCommunity
Laurinaohtar

Spotted a bargain - post here

Gamefly is giving away this:

Download Your Free Copy of Europa Universalis III Chronicles (PC)!

I got an email from them. I think anyone could figure this out - or maybe just sign up for Gamefly - free - and then buy it. Free until tomorrow. This game got very high reviews - I never played it though. Should be worth the price @ $0.

This is great idea - I love threads like this. Thanks,

On gamefly:

Indie game sale.

Torchlight II for $10

Dungeon defenders for $3.75

Anyone play Torchlight II? I kind of want it but am not sure I would be that into a diablo-style click fest.

Torchlight 2 is great fun but it is very similar to Diablo, if thats not your thing then you may not enjoy it so much.

Some of those simulator games are just.. I dunno. I mean, there's a EuroTruck simulator:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/

Why would someone play these? They look so incredibly boring.

There are people that in. example like trucks. There are also people that are interested in transport and logistics and I've heard that EuroTruck simulator have nice economy part of game, you can create your own company there which depending on how it's done might be interesting. I've heard those games sells quite well. I like ecoomy myself so who knows maybe I'll risk buying ET 2 one day when my games backlog is smaller than now, I feel like trying it and it is on attractive price.

What people find interesting is very subjective matter. There is plenty of well known games many people like and I've found them persomally very boring.

btw. It seems Simulator games have some kind of weekend sales this weekend.

Train Simulator 2013 sale here:

http://www.gamersgat...-simulator-2013

Some of those simulator games are just.. I dunno. I mean, there's a EuroTruck simulator:

http://store.steampo...com/app/227300/

Why would someone play these? They look so incredibly boring.

Euro Truck Simulator is great, well the 2nd one ( haven't played the first ). I would never normally have considered playing it as 99.9% of the other 'simulators' ( tree felling simulator, tunnel digging simulator etc ) are utter utter mindless garbage, I'm pretty sure ETS is made by a different company to the one that makes all the crappy 'street sweeper' type sims. I thought my friend who normally has good taste in games had gone mad when he suggested I give it a go, but it's actually really addictive with a steering wheel and a 3D TV. About as close to real trucking as it gets, with the added bonus that it doesn't matter if you fall asleep at the wheel :D

^^

I suppose I spent enough time driving long distances in the US that I don't quite see the appeal (I don't know how truckers manage it, driving for such a long time is quite tiring I think!), but of course to each their own. :)

Yeah I suspect that if I had to drive a real truck up and down the country every day I wouldn't enjoy it nearly so much. Maybe it's knowing that you can press the 'reset' button after causing a ten car pile up and a huge tailback that makes it somewhat more relaxing... ;)

it's funny how that works though. It's like the episode of the Simpsons where the kids won't do any work in the garden. Later that day they all go to the theme park and there is a 'yard work' simulator there and Bart and Lisa are jumping up and down to have a go :P

Sounds crazy but I suddenly find myself tempted to buy Farming Simulator.

Also can anyone recommend a decent PC golf game?

I use to play Sims, until one day I discovered I was just doing real life things, virtually. Give me swords, Balrogs, and dragons!!!

I'll be informing on "Runescape 3" aka Runescape with HTML5 .. beta's this week and it feels promising as hell (if it ends up running on smartphones though, bye bye social life). Bargain? Yeah.

Has a limited smaller map f2p, few skills less but I played about a year's worth before saying $%"#% it and subscribing, in retrospect should have just subbed the first month I'd have a few more levels hehehe.

$6ish a month (5 pounds), apart from the +50 bank slots for about $3 if memory serves me, Store's all cosmetic love (cheap compared to LOTRO) so technically you don't *need* it ... and the bank slots only got one upgrade because i'm too lazy to not keep certain junk around for that once a year moment I may or may not need it =P

MMO-wise it's still hands down best bargain I've ever seen in the non-100%free lands.

I tried Runescape based on your posts Ardraug. I was really excited as I downloaded. Thinking, Wow here is a whole new MMO I can play - why didn't I think of Runescape before.

I lasted about 4 minutes. Hey - I can't see my character close up? It just was so different than what I was used to (very small character) I wasn't in to it.

Now I am back to playing a twink in the WoW free trial - crafting and gearing up for PvP. Thinking of logging in to Lotro but not close to actually doing it.

I suppose I spent enough time driving long distances in the US that ...

Why were you doing this? Are you in the US? or were visiting?

Why were you doing this? Are you in the US? or were visiting?

I'm originally from the US, specifically Texas... home of long, boring drives. :P Did all very common driving-centric American stuffs that I've gladly traded in for a bike here. ;) Though sometimes I miss the freedom of driving!

"I lasted about 4 minutes. Hey - I can't see my character close up? It just was so different than what I was used to (very small character) I wasn't in to it."

Uh 2 or 3 things... in the graphics' settings, the "Custom" button lets you zoom your camera in or out.

Also, while fullscreen is only available to members, since I alt+tab a lot and for now Java unfullscreens when doing so, just putting the browser on fullscreen and using the 1024x768 resolution (adjust to your screen). Maybe HTML5 will change that...

And on that note... that's why I did say i'd "keep y'all posted" regarding the new graphics' format, for now it can be quite the shock for someone used to LOTRO graphics. Sadly, didn't get in the beta for now, once the full thing's launched I'll try and convince some of y'all into a proper try.

BTW, the first newbie days or three were awful back in the day, not sure now..... unless you got a friend to quickly forge you up the basic armors and weaps so do hollah lol.

The amounts of content are sick as hell (and new content doesn't cost extra *hint hint*) but of course, won't be apparent inmediately. This isn't a game you endgame in a month or two. A proper no-lifer can do it in a few months, yeah (all level 99's, completionist cape is an entirely different story). Those of us with jobs and such, can be years. Have yet to hit my first lv99.

Okay so I'm semi interested (I remember playing Runescape for a bit back in 2008). What sort of restrictions are you going to have if you never fork over any money? I seem to remember content being gated way back when, but I can't remember for sure.

In simple-ish terms.... Free (unlimited) you get around 1/3 the world map, 2/3 the skills.

You CAN level all skills to like 5 just to get a taste of them.

F2p skills, you can do them all to level 99 but after a point it's all members' stuff. Main thing about subscribing apart from obviously unlocking the higher tier gear and such is convenience, meaning the f2p fishing spot is 90 second run from bank, members' spot for same fish is 20 second run. Stuff like that.

IF you unsubscribe some of your gear becomes unusable but not lost, same with skills and access to certain areas, can reactivate and deactivate on and off at will.

OTHER money to fork over, you couuuld p2w your way through the spinny wheel (spam it until it pays off in in-game cash but .. meh).. with the 2 daily free spins plus random spins from skilling myself and most people have done decently. I DO own about $60 of cosmetics and dat bank size upgrade mentioned earlier. As for updates, bug fixes, feedback considered, official polls to decide on major stuff.. not PERFECT (they've had their bad moments in the past) but damn good.

Turbine pulled off that kind of service, communication, and quality control, I'd have kept my OCD goal of owning all store horses and such.

It is interesting. How much is a sub?

Can you zoom in to the point where your character is pretty big, and it doesn't look like a top down game?

Zooms in pretty close yeah, REALLY hoping HTML5 adds a first person or at least "over the shoulder" camera however. After LOTRO, the way content is added, features upgraded, and bugs fixed can be spooky. Play then go absent a few months, when you come back it's usually to new cool stuff. Just remember if you're playing f2p for a while, your leveling/gathering spots are gonna be hella inconvenient compared to members' ones.

What brings me back is "make almost everything you could use from scratch" crafting system, and how to sell whatever you produced you can just hit the Grand Exchange, and set your price manually according the automatically adjusted supply-demand based prices hehe.

*edit* Almost every skill has an attached minigame or two which is usually way faster than normal leveling, albeit way less profitable of course. Naturally, skilling is a grind, but at least you get to pick from dozens of different grinds. Oh.. and finishing all the quests.. not everyone manages (there's more to them than killing 6 orcs ad nauseum)

On gamefly - all TES games on sale. Sky - $30, Oblivion & Morrowind $10

I might pick y Morrow and play with new mods. Never played that or skyrimm.

I highly recommend playing with mods. I just recently did that with Skyrim and have been pretty surprised with how much better they make the game look. I don't think I could ever go back to playing without an ENB now. And the quality of life stuff is pretty nifty too.

So do I spend my money on GW2 or Skyrimm? Is skyrimm that much better than Oblivion? I didn't like the rifts in oblivion but the game was pretty nice. Seems a little dated now to me.

I'd vote GW2 probably.. you'd get more hours out of it for your money probably. Either is a good buy though I think. :) I didn't play any TES games before Skyrim so can't comment on if it's better than the previous ones or not.

For me Skyrim is much better than Oblivion. Rifts in Oblivion were just annoying and got in the way, in Skyrim you have Dragons but they can be avoided and eventually become trivial. There is (in my opinion) more to explore in Skyrim and as with all previous Elder Scrolls games the modding community extend its life quite a lot.

Saying all of that if you only have the money for one of the games go with GW2 as it will last you longer.