LOTROCommunity

Current End-game Instances/Raids

Doro

I think we're currently at the highest variety of instances and raids we've ever had for end-game.

Instances

• Great Barrows (Maze, Thadur and Sambrog)
  • Fornost (Water, Earth, Fire and Shadow)
  • Library, School, Halls of Night and Inn of the Forsaken
  • Northcotton Farm, Stoneheight, Lost Temple and Sari-surma
  • Sword Halls, Dungeons, Warg Pens and Sammath Gul
  • Glinghant, Haudh Valandil and Ost Elendil
  • Webs of the Scuttledells, Iobar's Peak and Seat of the Great Goblin

Raids

• Helegrod (Drake, Spider, Giant and Dragon)
  • Ost Dunhoth (Wound, Disease, Poison, Fear, Ivar and Gortheron)
  • Barad Guldur (Durchest, Twins and Lieutenant)
  • Lonely Mountain (Erebor, Flight, Smaug)

That's actually a fair amount of instances and raids for end-game, really (not even including all the Skirmishes). But then why do most of these instances remain in the back of the box?

Well, it could be people are sick of running them. After all, the vast majority is just recycled content. After running them so many times before, it could just be a case of wanting something new.

Or maybe there's no reason to run them? Some people only run instances for loot or deeds. Most of these don't have anything worthwhile for everyone and so they get neglected.

Then there's the possibility that people don't actually know what loot drops in many of these instances/raids. I get lots of people asking me where certain jewels I have came from because they just haven't run Ost Dunhoth since the update. Or they haven't seen enough of the different loot that drops from those instances/raids that are only rarely played.

Each of these things could really just be a case of Turbine drowning people in scaled content. I know when U10 came out, I had no idea what came from where and so no idea what sort of instances/raids to aim for. It took me a while to get my bearings and even now I'm surprised what loot exists out there.

Personally, I want to run all of them again. I'd love to go back and raid in Ost Dunhoth and get so accustomed to the old content that I can tell at a glance where a bit of loot came from. That, unfortunately, doesn't happen in the world of pugs. It's either grind the most popular ones or do nothing. I tried to set up a skirm the other day for some earrings, I couldn't even half fill the raid.

So why do you think that the choices for group content are so slim with such a large amount to pick from? Also, here's a loot list for U10 that's been very useful.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Eggolass/Update_10_Item_Checklist

Because everyone plays solo :) Also people (myself included) have had it with bullshit loot system and difficulty of instances. There is no challenge. The amount of content don't mean shit, quality of the game has reached a new low...

And primary reason, there is nothing new! Everything is recycled. Also we got horrible news about the new quest pack they try to feed us as expansion and promised there won't be any new instances at least later next year. That itself is a good reason to quit the game...

Oh there's certainly "things" to do....

But then why do most of these instances remain in the back of the box?

This is why:

Well, it could be people are sick of running them. After all, the vast majority is just recycled content. After running them so many times before, it could just be a case of wanting something new.

Also most have been nerfed badly, only a shadow of what they used to be. We've been left with hack and slash instances that Turbine wants us to run over and over ala Diablo. I know some of people don't get a lot of satisfaction from that.

Each of these things could really just be a case of Turbine drowning people in scaled content. I know when U10 came out, I had no idea what came from where and so no idea what sort of instances/raids to aim for. It took me a while to get my bearings and even now I'm surprised what loot exists out there.

I think the biggest problem is people just want some new stuff to do instead of running stuff that is a few years old and they already burned themselves out on. :P It's not *that* hard to go look up itemisation threads.

Personally, I want to run all of them again.

Careful what you wish for. I've run nearly everything again and left them feeling really sad that they'd been dumbed down. I mean full OD or BG T2 CM clears in one night? *sigh*

The issue you have is all of "variety" is old, Helegrod for example is 5 years old and its classed as our current "end game content".... we must be on our 3rd/4th stint of grinding GB for X....

Speaking for myself i've done the above to death, on level and scaled and i don't want to keep repeating something that is effectively a face roll now...Lonely mountain has been disappointing, Smaug T2C - whilst its a nice mechanic its too easy, Flight T2C is bugged or broken and Battle for Erebor T2C has been the best of the 3.... and the fact FA symbols and gold items dropped in T1 from the off was an epic fail...

The multi boss raids have all been brilliant on level despite there initial teething problems, but the recent content has been the biggest let down for me...

This sentiment is shared amongst my kin members Doro if that helps you in anyway.

Personally, before i purchase HD, i'd like to see a new Multi Boss Raid (Rift, DN, OD, ToO style) with locks and lag fixed.

Hydo sends his love by the way :)

Lob

Lonely mountain has been disappointing, Smaug T2C - whilst its a nice mechanic its too easy,

You should try it in a pug. I can't even believe the number of times I've wiped on T1 there and the amount of people who don't understand what a valve is!

But you're right. Turbine are stuck trying to balance raids between dedicated kins and your average, casual-filled pug. Seems this time they swung towards the casuals but not enough to make them achievable for them, only enough to make them boring for kins.

And Hydo love is northern love: abusive, cold but ultimately satisfying in a weird 'c'mon yeh cheeky vixens, get in me wheelbarrah' sort of way :P

I think the biggest problem is people just want some new stuff to do instead of running stuff that is a few years old and they already burned themselves out on. :P It's not *that* hard to go look up itemisation threads.

And yet, every time I complain on the official forums about scaled instances not being a substitute for new content, half a dozen people chime in to say, "Oh, I never got to run X on-level, this is going to be awesome!"

(Cue revamped Fornost being a ghost town one day after it was first revamped...)

I am so sick of running the same instance over and over again, that i refuse to even log my main char. I continue to lvl my dwarf lowbie.

And majority of them are just revamped old content that i was already sick with long time ago

There is no other reason for me to not play all those instances.

Actually after not playing low level stuff for so long, it's like a new game for me so i enjoy it even more ;)

Actually after not playing low level stuff for so long, it's like a new game for me so i enjoy it even more ;)

That's the reason I want to run some of the more recently scaled content. I think it's for nostalgia, or the hopes of some challenge. I miss those days. But it seems I'd just be disappointed if I ran them again with a half-competent raid.

That's the reason I want to run some of the more recently scaled content. I think it's for nostalgia, or the hopes of some challenge. I miss those days. But it seems I'd just be disappointed if I ran them again with a half-competent raid.

The main problem i experienced so far with my low dwarf (now lvl 44) is that for many interesting fellowship quests on the way, people to group up with for those quests are nowehere to be found (at least on not very populated Eldar).

I was really looking forward to do Tomb of Elendil on level after 5 years of not doing it and nobody was interested. I was asking for 3 days for a group for this and all i got was tells from high lvl players. Hell i got many tells from 85's because they thought Tomb of Elendil is one of the Annuminas end game instances because they didn't even know instance called Tomb of Elendil existed for lower levels. This is a good example of what i mean, people are mostly interested in reaching 85 as fast as possible.

Same with GA, Fornost and couple other fellowship quests (MM). I guess it's gonna be the same with CD, Uru, BG, and many others on the way....nobody wants to do them on level :(

The main problem i experienced so far with my low dwarf (now lvl 44) is that for many interesting fellowship quests on the way, people to group up with for those quests are nowehere to be found (at least on not very populated Eldar).

I see that as the real curse of scaling. Nobody does any group play anymore until they have reached level 85 and then everyone is surprised at how different group play is from solo play and that there are skills besides damage and self healing ones.

You certainly aren't alone. I've heard lots of times in my alliance "Oh it will be fun to do that again!".. and then people do and then they're all "meh, that was too easy :("

Its a good question.

Remember one of those instances is bugged and exploitable currently where Turbine still hasnt shut it off as yet (wont name it!). People will do the quickest content now to grind the raid/instance to get the seals. The new loot system has made it so that it is even more random when a FA will drop etc. If you recall prior raids you could be given in a group a gaurenteed few sybmols and now its so random.

Previous content is recycled as it takes someone to upscale it slightly (less dev time) but in doing so it isnt adjusted/tweaked to our level so the challenge is gone. Does anyone recall Helegrod first time round? it was not a faceroll!!!. BG/OD are nerf'd so a lot easier, but the issue is we've done it so many times as well it's just a grind.

Raiding/Instancing is about learning the boss fight, working towards defeating it and then seeing a reward for doing all of the work to doing it. It shouldnt be grindathon, it should be fun!.

Lonely is bugged too :( I miss the rift days! and I'd love to see open world group raiding content or group content areas non-instanced opend up again.

You can't make scaled instanced challanging across levels. Well of course theoretically you could - but it would require very big dev resources and manual balancing every how it works every 5 levels or so. Whole reason of doing scaled content and instances - is that because it is cheap and fast (relatively) way to make more content - compared to make new content from ground up. Putting lot of effort, money and resources into making it - would defeat sense of even making scalable version in first place from developer perspective.

Scaled content will never be as good as 'original versions' and never'll be perceived in 'same league' as normal content by users. Well of course you can put superb rewards into those scaled intances to make people farm them instead of 'normal' non-scaled ones, but that's not really good idea right?

You can't make scaled instanced challanging across levels. Well of course theoretically you could - but it would require very big dev resources and manual balancing every how it works every 5 levels or so. Whole reason of doing scaled content and instances - is that because it is cheap and fast (relatively) way to make more content - compared to make new content from ground up. Putting lot of effort, money and resources into making it - would defeat sense of even making scalable version in first place from developer perspective.

Scaled content will never be as good as 'original versions' and never'll be perceived in 'same league' as normal content by users. Well of course you can put superb rewards into those scaled intances to make people farm them instead of 'normal' non-scaled ones, but that's not really good idea right?

So Turbine is deliberately causing such problems for themselves (for us). Because they cannopt come up with a decent content/landmass updates, they prepare one bigger landmass, call it an expansion and raise the cap another 10 levels so people have something to do.

We stayed on lvl 50 for so long and only instances were beeing added during that time. Did anyone have any problems with that? I guess not many people...

Why such frequent lvl cap raises?

• 2 years later...

2+ years later, the end-game is in a sad state.
Broken U12.1 loot tables/itemization (obsolete and not incentive to run T2 or worthless (purple) in T1 Osgiliath instances), bad scaling of instances (T2 impossible at low levels, T1 ridiculous at level cap, skirmishes ridiculous at any level/tier)
or BBs (impossible to run them solo at lvl ~10-40), unbalanced classes (OP healing for Healer classes (Mini BC for example), OP self-healing for tank classes, DPS of most DPS classes < DPS of a Tank class (Warden),  ...)
In World chat of several servers, I see regularly the same things : Sambrog/Glinghant farm for marks/meds (full DPS, eyes closed), RC T2C rush (skipping 2 first bosses, apparently WAI because Turbine does nothing) or Pelargir for Gold essences (which should drop in T2 instances, not in solo BBs)
Instead of fixing those obvious problems, they spend time on revamping the Store.. 180301Mypoorlotro.gif

Edited by Castorix
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

2+ years later, the end-game is in a sad state.
Broken U12.1 loot tables/itemization (obsolete and not incentive to run T2 or worthless (purple) in T1 Osgiliath instances), bad scaling of instances (T2 impossible at low levels, T1 ridiculous at level cap, skirmishes ridiculous at any level/tier)
or BBs (impossible to run them solo at lvl ~10-40), unbalanced classes (OP healing for Healer classes (Mini BC for example), OP self-healing for tank classes, DPS of most DPS classes < DPS of a Tank class (Warden),  ...)
In World chat of several servers, I see regularly the same things : Sambrog/Glinghant farm for marks/meds (full DPS, eyes closed), RC T2C rush (skipping 2 first bosses, apparently WAI because Turbine does nothing) or Pelargir for Gold essences (which should drop in T2 instances, not in solo BBs)
Instead of fixing those obvious problems, they spend time on revamping the Store.. 180301Mypoorlotro.gif

Without the Store, there is no more LOTRO, so of course they will put it first before fixing problems in the actual game. While fixing those game problems might make some players happy, the Store brings in money to Turbine, while fixing content only costs money. So money always comes first, and once the store is upgraded and stable... oh, who am I kidding, even then they won't fix the game issues!