LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
The MMO Troll

Well, damnit.

Levelling is slow, but then, it SHOULD be, something LOTRO has strayed far from.

No, it's not. People were hitting level cap on release in matter of 1-2 weeks. Rift was cried by community one of fastest levelling mmorpg ever when it released.

The fishing isn't that bad, at least you can make some decent coin with it, all you ever get with LOTRO is 1 copper crap, or something to display, or something to cook. I found a couple crates last night, some dwarven tables for display in the dimension, stuff to trade either for coin or rep, plenty of fish to craft lures with so I don't NEED to keep picking up greys, and at least it looks more real, especially with the clicking sound of the reel.

Levelling is slow, but then, it SHOULD be, something LOTRO has strayed far from.

I must be doing something wrong, every fish gets away.

No, it's not. People were hitting level cap on release in matter of 1-2 weeks. Rift was cried by community one of fastest levelling mmorpg ever when it released.

I don't know, the amount of time I've spent doing off side stuff, including rifts closures, I'm only lvl 16. In LOTRO, I'd have been lvl 25 in that amount of time. I guess a lot depends on what else you do. I've fished, crafted the lures, practiced the skills on junk mobs just to get used to combat here again. I'm not making a bee line for level cap.

I don't know, the amount of time I've spent doing off side stuff, including rifts closures, I'm only lvl 16. In LOTRO, I'd have been lvl 25 in that amount of time. I guess a lot depends on what else you do. I've fished, crafted the lures, practiced the skills on junk mobs just to get used to combat here again. I'm not making a bee line for level cap.

People were levelling very fast, because while Rift has more or less seamless world, regions are quite small and everything is close, quests are made so your objectives are most of the time very close. In low-level zones anyway. Then there are Rifts - at release when game was packed with people, people were doing alot of Rifts and that brought alot of XP afair. So many people were hitting lvl 50 really fast.

I think side stuff and learning is your answer. I remember when I was playing that Rift world was totally not interesting for me, so I did not really even try to do any side-stuff (and when tried to stray away from path, there were mobs everywhere anyway) because of that and I did not feel a need to learn combat on trash mobs. Anyway I've did not level far away in Rift (I've tried few diffrent classes, but each levelled only a bit) , but I remember that my colleagues levelled in blazing speeds. I remember that I rerolled another class second day I was playing Rift and most of them was alraady ~15 lvl, and then was getting like 5-6 levels per day. I've heard Storm Legion is longer / bigger though.

I didn't make it in time either to claim a code.. but I can still try to keep an eye out for them adding more.

Yeah, I missed the keys by about 30 mins. I have a couple of friends who use Raptr, and they seem to think more keys will be added this week. Just their gut feelings.

RIFT does really good at encouraging you to play with other people. It's very easy to join a public group and complete missions, close rifts etc. Something Lotro should learn from them.

People in Lotro forums are crying about how this game never encouraged them to group with others so they became antisocial and play solo all the way. I'm glad I'm out of that community.

RIFT does really good at encouraging you to play with other people. It's very easy to join a public group and complete missions, close rifts etc. Something Lotro should learn from them.

In LOTRO, I've gotten used to seeing only small amounts of chatter at a time (although I notice that no matter how far from a settlement or in the middle of nowhere I am, someone will always pop up near me. Happens so often, I will /wave or /salute them, which they almost always do in return.). In sharp contrast, Rift's 1-29 chat was filled with people asking questions and vets offering to give newbies plat, bags, and help getting a mount. If anything, it seems the players themselves are doing a great job at welcoming new players.

In LOTRO, I've gotten used to seeing only small amounts of chatter at a time (although I notice that no matter how far from a settlement or in the middle of nowhere I am, someone will always pop up near me. Happens so often, I will /wave or /salute them, which they almost always do in return.). In sharp contrast, Rift's 1-29 chat was filled with people asking questions and vets offering to give newbies plat, bags, and help getting a mount. If anything, it seems the players themselves are doing a great job at welcoming new players.

Every game that just got announced it goes f2p - will have surge of new players. You'll see even more activity after f2p transition. Lotro after f2p announcement and especially after transition also got big surge of new people. It's like that with all releases - p2p, b2p, f2p. When TSW went p2p -> b2p it also got lot of new people. Lot of people in chat asking questions, getting them answered, people helping with directions, veteran players giving game currency out to new players and so on.

It's more or less temporary thing though.

I've played Rift trial like 2 weeks ago and low-lvl chat was dead.

Trions support seems to be 100 times better than LoTROs, I just had some trouble resetting my password as I had forgotten it. Used some online chat tool and all sorted within about 20 minutes. Turbine could learn a lot there.

I had same problem you had Laur, spent an hour or so waiting for an online agent, got everything sorted out. Only problem, their security feature demanded that I change EVERYTHING I'd waited about an hour to gain access to, so I wasn't too thrilled about that, but then, I didn't have to wait an hour to change them this time, so at least it wasn't as time consuming. And I'm sure at some point I can change them again.

As for grouping, I really like the public group join ability. Raids on the fly for RIFT closure is a great idea. It beats waiting in a que by a large amount.

I had same problem you had Laur, spent an hour or so waiting for an online agent, got everything sorted out. Only problem, their security feature demanded that I change EVERYTHING I'd waited about an hour to gain access to, so I wasn't too thrilled about that, but then, I didn't have to wait an hour to change them this time, so at least it wasn't as time consuming. And I'm sure at some point I can change them again.

As for grouping, I really like the public group join ability. Raids on the fly for RIFT closure is a great idea. It beats waiting in a que by a large amount.

Indeed. I've only had to deal with Trion CS a couple of times, and each time was pleasant and professional. It only took a few minutes, as well, but I called them rather than use the Live Chat feature. As for the public grouping mechanic, I love that! It actually gets a little weird when I'm playing other games that don't have it, because if I'm in a pitched battle and someone else comes along to help, I often just assume they are grouped with me, only to find they are not. It's a feature that should be brought to more MMOs, especially for open-world Raid bosses/content.

Every game that just got announced it goes f2p - will have surge of new players. You'll see even more activity after f2p transition. Lotro after f2p announcement and especially after transition also got big surge of new people. It's like that with all releases - p2p, b2p, f2p. When TSW went p2p -> b2p it also got lot of new people. Lot of people in chat asking questions, getting them answered, people helping with directions, veteran players giving game currency out to new players and so on.

It's more or less temporary thing though.

I've played Rift trial like 2 weeks ago and low-lvl chat was dead.

When I started TSW during it's b2p week, I wasn't greeted warmly nor had anyone offer to help me with gear or invite me to their cabal. Just sayin'

But yes, I agree that this bout of newbie love is only temporary. Anything to hold off the inevitable, I say.

Long time lurker here and I had to register to say that there are 300+ more codes now. If you qualify make sure you claim it.

Thanks for the news, and welcome!

Wow - thanks. I am updating Rift now. Haven't played in a while. I think I have plenty of hours on steam to get SL free.

Wow - thanks. I am updating Rift now. Haven't played in a while. I think I have plenty of hours on steam to get SL free.

If you have the hours logged on Steam, you dont need to update the game, just get a Raptr account and link it to your Steam account and it will tell you if you have the hours you need for the expac

EDIT - Wow! I just got it thanks.

Here is what I wrote before:

Ugh - what a nightmare so far. 1 hour spent so far. I am getting there though.

It kept asking me to resign in. Raptr quit - crashed at the end. It sent me over and over again to the same screens. I am not impressed.

But when I added my steam account the 3rd time - it worked and I got the expansion - so I can't complain. Thanks everyone!

Where is that uninstall Raptr button?

lol pretty sure it gave me 3 game time days - but I am already a subscriber - so maybe thats why. I am going to unsub after F2P so I get all the vet rewards (mainly rep/pvp/gold boost potions IIRC).

One more edit: honestly I am amazed I just got the expansion for free. Of course everyone will get almost all of it for free in June - but still - WoW - that is nice. Looks like I will have to start playing Rift again. I think my characters are all on a different server than any of you.

In Raptr, I don't see this promo listed - only a few small Rift rewards, but it came up for me when I logged in and added my steam hours.

I think I got it! I totally appreciate everyone's help here on this. I am very happy - haven't been playing Rift because I didn't have SL yet. Thanks to all who kept posting on this. Thank you Thannor - that is just so awesome you told us there were more codes.

Long time lurker here and I had to register to say that there are 300+ more codes now. If you qualify make sure you claim it.

3000+

And hello :)

So what server are people going to join? I am going to read the forums and try to get a sense of them now. I have 1 lvl 50 on Wolfsbane. I don't even see Icewatch in the server list in game! (Maybe I am only seeing the US servers somehow).

It would be nice to join up and be in the same guild. I am also happy to give anyone new some gold. Or maybe do a few dungeon runs.

I guess I like to lurk to see how the community is to see if I would be able to mesh well. I look at this as a positive reflection on this board because when I noticed there was something beneficical that others were looking to do my first thought was to register and spread the good word about more subs available. I think i'm going to like it here.

P.S. I was wrong earlier (thx for the correction) it was 3k+ not 300+.