LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
The MMO Troll

Well, damnit.

So what server are people going to join? I am going to read the forums and try to get a sense of them now. I have 1 lvl 50 on Wolfsbane. I don't even see Icewatch in the server list in game! (Maybe I am only seeing the US servers somehow).

Icewatch is EU.

It seems like you can not do it. According to a forum thread so not 100% sure. I guess we would have to reroll.

So is everyone going to play on a EU server? Are all the servers in the US? Or both continents?

The FAQ only says: NOTE: Not all shards may be available as transfer destinations. In addition, Guardian and Defiant players may have different destinations available to prevent faction overcrowding. Available shards will change over time based on population needs." but I am guessing there are not too many servers that are closed to transfers due to population.

http://www.riftgame....er-transfer.php

If there is a lag issue - then is anyone going to stay on a US server?

What is really cool about Rift:

Download the Rift phone Ap, then you get free virtual lottery tickets for rewards. Ha ha!

Actually the rewards are tiny - just a few craft materials or a few planarite - which is nothing. No gold or gear - but funny to think about this with respect to the Hobbit Presents. In rift - almost no rewards - but looks just like a scratch ticket. Plus there is no money with it - it is just a perk for players - no one is trying to hook you or make you try to spin for more to get something.

The phone ap is cool though - guild chat and notification of zone events.

I just had to go back and take another look at Rift, I allowed it to download the entire game before logging in this time. It's classed as a trial account because I'm no longer subbed so completely useless but I did get to roam around a bit. Never thought I'd miss it but I did...so I decided to try to get that expansion free...if not I'll buy it..then wait for the game to go F2P and rejoin the fun there :)

Looks as if they're replenishing the codes coming from Raptr as they run out. Hope they keep doing that. I must have logged hundreds of hours on Rift, seems like a long time ago, but obviously none of that counts now. Have the client running now trying to rack up a few more hours...

--edit a day later--

Waste of time that turned out to be. I claimed my code using the Raptr client. Between registering the fact that I'd claimed it and actually getting the code sent out, it crashed. So I have no code and no way to claim it again because it's registered as claimed on their system. Looks as if they still have over 8k codes available to be claimed so it's not a lack of codes. Oh well...

--edit a day later--

Waste of time that turned out to be. I claimed my code using the Raptr client. Between registering the fact that I'd claimed it and actually getting the code sent out, it crashed. So I have no code and no way to claim it again because it's registered as claimed on their system. Looks as if they still have over 8k codes available to be claimed so it's not a lack of codes. Oh well...

You should be able to click on the same link again. AFAIK, Raptr doesn't know if you've used the code already. Case in point, Raptr crashed on me when I tried to claim the Storm helm. When I logged back on, it said I already claimed it. But I was still able to click the link and get the code again, thus letting me get the helm.

Yes, keep trying. Raptr was a piece of trash when I tried to use it. It kept asking me to sign up over and over in different places. But after an hour I figured it out and just ignored the things that were wrong. You should be able to claim the expansion reward.

Good luck.

It is a pretty brilliant piece of marketing for Raptr and Rift. They are bringing a lot of people back. The server was the most crowded I have ever seen today.

Basically they are getting people to play and some to come back by giving away something that will be mostly free in a month.

Sorted, thanks :)

Turned out the links weren't working because my popup-blocker was doing it's thing and the code appears in a little popup window.

Why they can't just send it in an email is beyond me but there you go...

A friend was getting a code through a trial account and he said he was in an hour-long queue to actually get into the game. Obviously trial accounts will be queued over subscribers. This has me a bit worried about f2p. Sure there will be access to the game, but it may involve lots of waiting. Perhaps moving to Icewatch won't have been a good idea. :/ Totally depends how they handle this.

Hopefully there will be a way to bypass the queues - or maybe this will force people to go to less populated servers.

There are only 2! English EU servers (not counting RP - which is very low pop, and the PVP server). Icewatch is listed as a high pop server.

Blightweald is the only other PVE English server for EU - and is Medium pop.

Europe seems to have less servers than the US - and they are spread across German and French speaking servers.

http://www.riftgame....en/shardstatus/

--------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?513048-LOTRO-Rift-WOW-free-raptr-rewards

I wonder how many players Lotro will lose because of this thread. 808 views already. I am guessing they will lose 4 players now and if they keep it there they will lose 12 or more who are having problems with Lotro right now.

They lost me ages ago. In spite of having a lifetime sub, I haven't logged in at all this year. LOTRO isn't even installed on my system at the moment..

Most of my game time is spent on Champions Online, Guild Wars 2 and Star Trek Online. Now got to add RIFT to the package. Can't really cope with more than four (!)

I've got basic Rift, and I've just found a copy of Rift's expansion going cheap in a shop locally. Can anyone tell me what precisely the expansion will be worth once F2P comes along beyond the four additional souls? Because if it's just going to be that and everything else will be made free, I won't bother buying it.

Since they're basically give it away for free on Raptr - I doubt it is worth anything beyond those souls. Get Raptr, install Rift trial, start game and leave it running while you go to work or something and they claim expansion?

Since they're basically give it away for free on Raptr - I doubt it is worth anything beyond those souls. Get Raptr, install Rift trial, start game and leave it running while you go to work or something and they claim expansion?

This. While I support anyone giving Trion money, the SL expansion is right now only worth two things:

1) If you haven't bought Rift yet, it gives you 30 days of gametime, which converts to Patron status for the remainder after June 12th. It also gives those folks access to the four expansion souls, and the SL regions post level 50 (assuming such a player could get that far before June 12th).

2) If you already own Rift, you get the four expansion souls and access to SL regions post level 50, assuming you can get there by June 12th

After June 12th, all SL unlocks is the four expansion souls.

After June 12th, all SL unlocks is the four expansion souls.

At least for the basic rift purchase:

Don't they wind up with more bag space, and character slots than someone starting fresh at the F2P launch?

At least for the basic rift purchase:

Don't they wind up with more bag space, and character slots than someone starting fresh at the F2P launch?

Yes, but only because SL comes with Rift included currently, if you are new to the game and have not purchased Rift or SL yet. Basically, it's like LOTRO with MoM. If you were new to LOTRO and only bought MoM, LOTRO: SoA was included in that purchase.

So if you own Rift, there's little point in buying Storm Legion now, because in a couple of weeks everything apart from the souls unlocks for you anyway. And then you'll probably be able to buy the souls on the Rift store for less money than it would cost to buy the expansion now anyway. Cheers for clearing that up.

So if you own Rift, there's little point in buying Storm Legion now, because in a couple of weeks everything apart from the souls unlocks for you anyway. And then you'll probably be able to buy the souls on the Rift store for less money than it would cost to buy the expansion now anyway. Cheers for clearing that up.

True, with one caveat: we don't know how much the expansion souls will end up costing on the Rift Store when the game goes F2P. I assume they will be sold there, it's only reasonable to do so, but the combined price could end up being much higher than SL is right now. For example, on Amazon.com they have SL for only $19.99, but each soul is likely to sell for $10 at least (in equivalent Store Credits). Meaning to buy all four souls on the Store will likely cost at least $40 in credits, where you could get them all now for only $20. Then again, it is possible you only want one or two of the souls (I don't use the Rogue or Warrior ones, myself), so waiting would most definitely save you money.

You can if you're as 'casual' about them as I am :)

Well I've worded that propably in bad way. What I meant is while I can easy imagine how someone could play 4-5 and even more mmorpg's at the same time (just a matter of scaling down amount of time per title) - I don't really get how's that fun. For me mmorpog's are not really fun if I don't see a potential to play them for a year at least (when I start and with occasional breaks or peroids of small activity during this year of course) and for at least 10h / week on average. Not to mention that playing multiple mmorpg's would be boring for me. Nah I just don't get it.

I've never played more than one mmorpg at same time and I always had long breaks finishing playing one and starting another.

I agree actually but I've played all of those for a long time. I've become 'casual' in the sense that I don't want to leave them completely but I have no interest in playing any of them exclusively any more...though I have to say that STO is looking more interesting with the new extended Klingon line from level 1 and the brand new Romulan expansion.

The Romulans feel a lot like the Federation, in that you are playing with the Romulan Republic, and fighting against the Tal Shiar. It's a bit of a let down in my opinion.

So I'm assuming that Faeblight is the most populated (followed by Deepwood and Wolfsbane maybe)?

I"m curious because I already noticed that Faeblight's 1-29 chat was crowded and it was difficult to get in a word edgewise there lol ( I wanted to ask about the chloromancer class and their healing powers. I ended up just googling it myself)

So I'm assuming that Faeblight is the most populated (followed by Deepwood and Wolfsbane maybe)?

I"m curious because I already noticed that Faeblight's 1-29 chat was crowded and it was difficult to get in a word edgewise there lol ( I wanted to ask about the chloromancer class and their healing powers. I ended up just googling it myself)

Last I heard, Wolfsbane was #1 for population, with Faeblight #2, but it fluctuates over time. With so many people joining the game in the last week, it's hard to tell which is the biggest in the NA cluster.