LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tanith

I expect we all know better by now...

...but just in case there's someone browsing who doesn't, permit me to present Exhibit A:

Capture_anet_email.PNG

That one showed up in my mailbox last night. Checked the official forums and found an ongoing thread about such phishing attempts (Gaile Gray herself got one of these). Just thought I'd pass the warning along to GW2 players who lurk here.

:)

Geez, one look at the grammar will tip someone off about that. :P

Sorta OT, but apparently I own a battle.net account and was sent this email:

親愛的 sdalisp 玩家,您好:

Blizzard Entertainment 最近收到更改電子郵件地址的要求以便登入您的 Battle.net 帳號。 此電子郵件地址 <removed email> 將成為您新的 Battle.net 帳號名稱。 為完成並授權此電子郵件的地址修改,請點擊下列驗證連結。 若不點擊連結則無法完成更新。

驗證連結: <removed link>

如果您不想要做以上修改,或者您沒有提出此要求,請忽視或刪除此電子郵件。 請注意此連結在七天內將失效。

如果在完成此申請時碰到困難,尋求常見問題解答,或聯絡 Blizzard 客服團隊。

敬啟

Battle.net 帳號管理團隊

They didn't even bother to write bad English. _O-

Mhmmmm.... Sweet.

I love those phishing emails! I never click on the links in them, of course, but they are always an entertaining read. Also, they tend to tell me which games are doing well, because those are the games that most often attract phishing scams.

Miss Gaile is "Account Support Liaison" these days, though I fondly remember her in-game appearances in the original GW1 game. :)

I checked my account "for further investigation be" (though I'd planned to work on dailies this morning anyway) and all is well.

;)

Has anyone ever had or even heard of anyone else getting one for LOTRO

I think only popular games are privileged enough to have their users spammed by phishers.

I think only popular games are privileged enough to have their users spammed by phishers.

This.

I've gotten them for Rift (not recently, but in its first year of operation), for WoW (of course), for Diablo III (which I don't even play!), and a few other games along the way.

I'm getting tons of these on multiple email addresses that have never been associated with a battle,net acocunt, looks like they're choosing email addresses of known email hosts, adding a random name infront and sending these out hoping they hit a real email addresses.

I've gotten a bunch for Runescape (which I've never played) and WoW (ditto) as well as D3 which I do still play on occasion (when GW2 has one of its rare login problems).

Never for LOTRO.

;)

I'm getting tons of these on multiple email addresses that have never been associated with a battle,net acocunt, looks like they're choosing email addresses of known email hosts, adding a random name infront and sending these out hoping they hit a real email addresses.

Frequently it's also e-mail adress bases hacked from various mmorpg / gaming forums or websites.

Another one making the rounds, submitted for your amusement:

]Guild Wars 2 Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

We are sorry to inform you that your login account will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:

(fishy link removed)

Recently, account abuse is obviously rising up. Please pay attention to the safety your account. Don’t share account with any other people. We will not ask for your email password in any forms on our end. With the password, hackers will be able to log in the account through our security verification. If you have any account problem, please click on the link below:

(another fishy link)

We will come up with certain security protection measure to protect this account.If your account is limited due to our negligence, we will remove the restriction on our end and offer you a mysterious gift in game as compensation for the inconvenience.

Need help or have questions about your account? Please visit our:(our third fishy link)

The Guild Wars 2 Team

Widely varied fonts and text sizes in this one.

I should reply and tell them I'm investigating them and demand my damn mystery gift!

O-)

You can always tell these guys are scammers because even if they use a spell checker, the grammar is pathetic, barely even Grade 1.

Or, as I like to call it, Internet Standard.