LOTROCommunity
Talisman

CSTM To End

Sad news indeed: Merric & Goldenstar have decided to end their Casual Stroll To Mordor Podcast.

Details here.

It's sad to see what was once the best community in MMOs falling apart.

..It's sad, but if you listened to the show recently, its hard now not to look back and see the writing on the wall. It's been quite some time since they found it as engaging as they used to, and Turbine's treatment of them, including cancelled interviews wasn't necessarily stellar either =/

I'm even more saddened by the fact that Ketani was declared ineligible for the council because of a podcast which won't even be operational soon.

Yeah, I've actually stopped listening as the show just isn't the same - so I'm surprised it has lasted this long as their passion just wasn't there. I think this is more of an indication of how Turbine has treated the community, as I myself have stopped trying to obtain anything from them. Even when you do get interviews (LOTRO Reporter has done some) the information is many time contradicted either during the interview or shortly after.

The whole council media thing to me was just ridiculous and I don't understand their judgement of certain people, but then again I don't have a whole lot of hopes for the council accomplishing much if it is run anything remotely like their past betas.

Anyone with experience of running a website or a podcast will tell you that it's damn hard work and very time consuming. CSTM have spent the last four years dedicated to LOTRO and as a result they have become the biggest player in that particular community. However, success always come with a price.

MMO's have a lifespan as does writing about one. It is therefore perfectly natural for Merric and Goldenstar to reach this stage and I applaud them for having the courage of their convictions to draw a line under proceedings. It would be far worst to see things just drag on and for the overall quality to deteriorate.

The biggest losers regarding this announcement are Turbine as they will lose a ton of free publicity. CSTM always did a far better job of publicising events and festivals and succinctly explaining changes to the game.

As for those who decry the state of the LOTRO community, why not fill the gap and do a show or website yourself?

No takers? Funny, I'm not surprised.

Indeed. It's a sad day not just for Turbine but for MMOs in general when a podcast like CSTM goes off the air. While I believe Merric is still doing Too Long, Didn't Listen with Syp, Goldenstar to my knowledge isn't doing a new show, so her passionate voice on gaming is lost to us. And I agree Turbine is the largest loser here, what with CSTM pimping their weekly sales, updates, festivals, and player-run events to so many people, not all of whom were dedicated LOTRO fans. CSTM was a resource for Turbine, and I believe they squandered that with the debacle surrounding a CSTM contributor being picked for, then kicked off of the Player Council for being "media". CSTM is a fan site, always has been, even if they are a damn huge one. And Turbine treated them like crap regarding the Council, so I have no doubt that this had some bearing on their decision to call it quits. It was obvious to me Merric and Goldenstar were doing the show for the community, but to be kicked by the company running the game must have left some bad feelings there.

Regardless, it's a sad day. I hope Merric and Goldenstar enjoy their future endeavors.

Pretty indicative of where the game is headed. If they were having as much fun as claimed they'd want to keep doing it, because people make time to do the things they enjoy doing.

Shame about how the council position thingo went. Perhaps they could have taken one of the Misty Mountain people off to make a place for Goldenstar.

Shame about how the council position thingo went. Perhaps they could have taken one of the Misty Mountain people off

........ or DrkCntry

At least in the US-Euro Market, F2P offerings simply can't support a stable and content-engaged audience the way subscriptions do. On the plus side "western markets tend to be far less fad prone" or "fickle." That base will carry a "Western prodcut"trough tougher leaner times,,,

If they could, more newspapers would be free to consumers and carry more advertising instead.

F2P players simply do not psychologically vest what subscribers do....

It's the same argument against the F2P gameplan in the first place....