LOTROCommunity

So I got a beta invite to that game. So far, it hands down beats WoW and sadly lotro I don't think can compare either. Took me several hours just to get to level 7. Basically took me longer to reach level 7 in that game, than it took me in lotro on my alts in the remake of the race starting zones since lotro went free to play. Cities are way bigger, landscape has amazing details. So it looks like I wont be returning to lotro. Instead next month I am buying Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. The beta has shown me a really awesome game with very engaging story.

Would one need to have played the other Final Fantasy games in order to understand/enjoy this latest game?

I've not played final fantasy 11, or the last incarnation of FF14, which had no quests according to my friend. And right from the very beginning I was getting story, and got a good understanding of what happened. It even went so far as to say why my character was traveling, which is really nice. The quest stories are just getting better and better each quest. And oh yeah they got a time system just like lotro, where days and nights pass while in game. Combat was super easy, and it looks like we auto learn spells as we level up, like traditional final fantasy games.

Basically when I first downloaded and ran the beta for the very first time, it opened with a cinematic, before I could create a character. Character creation screen dare I say is way more advanced than even lotro. Picking a race, the game tells you a bit about the race, where they are from, then the class, which tells a little about the class, then the appearance options which is amazing. Finally it takes us to picking an in game birthday for our characters, then picking a diety our characters would worship. Pick a server, loads in and my character was in a wagon and already in an intro story. Learned why I was traveling to this particular nation, in my character's case, I made a conjurer, and the character was going there to learn about nature and the elementals, and learning earth and wind spells and basically learning about the class and the diety I chose to follow. Unlike lotro, that immediately dumps you into running for your life, you spend the first part of the game proving you are not a bad person and doing a few menial tasks for the townspeople and doing your class studies, and now at level 7 I am doing covert stuff for the nations army.

Each final fantasy game that has a different number is separate from each other game. They are all set in different world with different characters. One of the few things they all have in common is a character called Cid.

CID!!!! And I'm going to SUPPOSE ........................ CHOCOBOS!!!! (though those came later)

Actually chocobos are that games mounts. The class system is pretty awesome. When I reach level 30 on my conjurer, the character can become a Summoner. Haven't met a Cid yet.

I have beta tested. Phase 3 is over. We are just waiting for Phase 4 to begin, which will be a week long open beta. And this game is just amazing. So far if you ask any beta tester, this definitely is a winner this time around. The story gets you hooked right from the start and only gets better. Also in Phase 4 they are adding in voice acting and the housing system.

Doing research on the housing system, be beats the snot out of lotro's housing. First, there will be instanced neighborhoods. However instead of buying a house you are buying land. You will be buying the deed to the land, and you build the house on it. And because it is deed based, the current plan is to let players have more than 1 deed and can sell to other players. This in turn suggests no upkeep. The owning of multiple deeds though is subject to if it causes problems in the game or not. Hence why it will be tested in Phase 4.

Graphics wise. I have to say it is better than lotro. The landscape is very "busy" and alive. Character creation wise, definitely superior to lotro.

I've been looking into it a bit more and I like what I've been seeing. I've tried to sign up for the Beta, but with over a million applicants I'm not very hopeful. It's good to see that it will be a monthly subscription game, and none of this f2p cash shop crap. If I do decide to buy it I would have no problem paying £41.99 to pre-order the collectors edition from Game, because it's probably one of the best value collectors editions I've seen. It really makes the RoR 'Legendary' edition for £51 look like a joke. Link... http://www.game.co.u...-edition-229833

If there are moogles I might find myself throwing money toward Japan... are there any moogles?

Kupo! =^.^=

I can definitely vouch for there being moogles. When I made my Conjurer, the intro featured moogles talking to her, and only she could see them.

Also a little something extra for information:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/487

Next up, Yoshida demonstrated the soon-to-be-released character creation benchmark software on the Microsoft Surface Pro. The new benchmark, scheduled for release on August 1st, will allow you to save your character appearance data and easily import it into the release version. (I know I’ll be spending a few hours getting my character juuuuust right. And then scrapping it and starting over…)

So an offline character creator so you can make your characters before release! This definitely speaks volumes of the company, giving their players and potential future players such an awesome tool!

Nice to see the security token bundled in the collectors edition. Also a nice change to have some game discs -might give the dvd-rom in the pc a work out!

Square was always a good company... You grow attached to characters after a while.

FFVI (III US), few of us got it, eventually finished it... couple months later I decide to replay it... bear in mind that game had it all, drama, lone hero, comedy relief, tragedy, etc...

Get to a certain part... did something different which was let the timer run out while refusing to leave with the ubercool Shadow (bear in mind no internet to google walkthroughs)... BAM he shows up last minute to escape with rest of party... turned SNES off, called about 6 friends: "Get your asses over here, Shadow doesn't die" .. they get to my place, i reload game, re-do the big fight I hadn't saved, let timer run out... the cheers (they thought I was bullshitting), was like our team had won the World Cup. Later that week cheers ensued when I re-located him as a playable character. If you're clueless about what I just said, get your copy and play to that part =P

(What? Didn't I tell you guys I'm a rabid Final Fantasy fanboi since FF1 came out?)

..... may need to dual-boot windows for ffxiv though and that hurts me ... it really does...

Well it looks like at least a few of us here are interested, and I've got a friend who is too. He hasn't really played mmo's, but he's played all of the FF games and he'll probably be getting it for his PS3. If any of you do decide to get it let me know what server you'll be on.

Well it looks like at least a few of us here are interested, and I've got a friend who is too. He hasn't really played mmo's, but he's played all of the FF games and he'll probably be getting it for his PS3. If any of you do decide to get it let me know what server you'll be on.

Well Phase 4 is supposed to be starting soon, and it is supposed to finalize servers. Many of us RPers have given feedback that we'd like at least 1 server to have the RP tag. If no server gets the tag, well we've decided 2 servers for RPers. 1 legacy server and 1 new server for those who want to start a brand new unofficial RP community.

If you are an RPer or curious where the RP community is thinking of going check out:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/

Great place for information too :)

I don't think I've ever even tried an RP server in any MMO's I've played over the years, but I don't know why really. Never had a problem with people who like to RP, but never really tried it much myself. I guess I would be open to giving it a shot.

This in turn suggests no upkeep.

It suggests nothing of the sort, that's pure speculation.

Ultima Online had the exact same system; buy a deed, find a plot use the deed and build your house from the ground up (everything from types and postion of walls to shape and colour of floor tiles) and you could sell them on to others, andthey had quite a hefty unforgiving upkeep system (your house would go poof completely with all your items).

• 2 weeks later...

I've just pre-ordered the Collector's Edition. It was only £41.99 from Game. Probably cheaper than the base edition of the Helm's Deep 'expansion'.

I also like the fact that you can chose to pay a lower/higher monthly fee, depending on how many characters you want. This is how it will work, if you're interested; http://eu.finalfanta...com/en/product/

There's been a whole slew of new information released with a Q&A. Here's some of the goodies:

Q: Will we ever be able to transfer item/gil between characters on the same account and World?

A: We currently have no plans to implement this feature do to various reason such as preventing RMT from abusing the feature.

Q: What features will we be able to change in the barber shop?

A: You will be able to change your character’s hairstyle, hair color, eye color, face paint, color of the face paint, and beard.

We currently plan to release the barber shop feature in patch 2.1 (initial patch), so please don't stress too much when creating your character!

Q: When will be able to obtain the new “heat resistant” gear?

A: The new “heat resistant” gear will be available during one of the seasonal events called the “Moonfire Faire.” The seasonal event should be introduced around a week after launch. Please note that the heat resistant gear will be swimsuits!

(Enclosing a pic of my char from the creator that is wearing it)

vd62H3W.png

Q: Please tell us what kind of bosses and mechanics are waiting for us in the Great Labyrinth of Bahamut and the Crystal Tower. Will primal equipment be necessary?

A: As there are most likely newcomers watching, let me explain simply to start off. The Great Labyrinth of Bahamut will be the hardest content at the start of ARR for a while. It will contain a lot of things such as what happened after the Seventh Umbral event. While I can’t really say too much about the mechanics, there will bosses that can only be defeated by performing certain actions and that have different phases. Without having a party that can deal the proper amount of damage, you won’t be able to move past certain phases. Additionally, there will be shared damage type of attacks that you will need to have 4 people get hit by, as well as have a certain character act as a channeler for the damage. There will be a lot of different elements present.

The Crystal Tower is content that can be undertaken by a 24 person party. I don’t think that difficulty is really that hard, and we’ve adjusted it so it’s something that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Q: We’ve already seen chocobos and magitek armor mounts, but will you be adding even more?

A: rLE8KOH.jpg

Q: What’s the status of the marriage system?

A: We’d like to implement this as soon as possible in a way you can invite a lot of people.

Q: In addition to primal battles, will you also be implementing hard-mode for instanced dungeons?

A: Yes, we will.

Q: Could you provide us more information on when we will be able to develop add-ons and when official add-ons will be released?

A: We just started working on an environment that players can use to create add-ons. Therefore, we should be able to provide an update around 8 months after launch.

Q: When coming back for ARR, I heard there would be a Welcome Back Campaign, but could you tell us the time period and other details for this?

A: Those of you who played FFXIV 1.0 will be able to play ARR free until September 9, 2013.

Q: Are there any plans to implement an item that can be used to change the appearance of our characters?

A: Before I answer that question, let me tell you about a discussion that happened during one of the shareholder meetings. One of the shareholders asked me “Are there any rewards for playing the game for a long period?”

The following was my answer to their question:

The feature you are referring to is called the veteran reward system. Players will receive rewards based on the accumulated subscription period. While there are many subscription plans in ARR, players will receive rewards for every 30 days of subscription.

Reward for subscribing 30 days:

- Wind-up Cursor (minion)

- Phial of Fantasia (Used to change the appearance of your character)

Reward for subscribing 60 days:

- Cascadier Uniform Voucher (Grants black “heat resistant gear”)

- A Black Chocobo Chick (minion)

Rewards for subscribing 90 days:

- Beady Eye (Ahriman minion)

- Voidsent Resonator (Ahriman mount)

Furthermore, the unique feature about the system is that players will receive the reward immediately upon subscribing for more than 30 days. For example, if a player subscribes for 90 days, they will immediately receive the reward for subscribing 30 days, 60 days, and 90 days.

Please note that we will continue to implement additional rewards (120 days, 180 days, etc.) via future patches.

zrsEw2T.jpg

4dW9d5p.jpg

PGBIobU.jpg

EnxlhA8.jpg

• 7 years later...