LOTROCommunity
Moderate Peril

Is blogging about games declining?

I'm actually about to start up a roleplaying blog---similar to the one I used to do for LOTRO, but from the PoV of my GW2 necromancer this time---so this could not be more perfectly timed.

:)

I'm actually about to start up a roleplaying blog---similar to the one I used to do for LOTRO, but from the PoV of my GW2 necromancer this time---so this could not be more perfectly timed.

:)

I wonder how many of the old LOTRO bloggers moved on blogging about other games?

I wonder how many of the old LOTRO bloggers moved on blogging about other games?

Merric and Goldenstar come immediately to mind, they really seem to like Rift. There are some wonderfully talented people out there blogging about GW2:

http://asuradaily.wordpress.com/

That's chiefly what inspired me to start again. That, the approach of Halloween, and the fact that my necro is the perfect Halloween character.

:D

I think part of the problem with game related blogging is the game companies just aren't releasing the same kind of information they used to. Without any news to talk about/discuss it comes down to "what I did in game" posts, and like others have said those usually work better in videos.

I've personally dropped off considerably from posting partly due to real life events impacting my gaming time, but I also research my posts which takes away from game time. Since there's very little written by the devs, you have to get in game to check things out and experiment. For me, I'd rather play games then research them.

With regards to LOTRO specifically, it is too easy to rip apart their "dev diaries" and the other rubbish they're putting out, so I'm not even bothering giving them free press. But once the we get an open beta without an NDA that I can play around in I'm sure I'll have some posts on the new stuff.

I think part of the problem with game related blogging is the game companies just aren't releasing the same kind of information they used to. Without any news to talk about/discuss it comes down to "what I did in game" posts, and like others have said those usually work better in videos.

I've personally dropped off considerably from posting partly due to real life events impacting my gaming time, but I also research my posts which takes away from game time. Since there's very little written by the devs, you have to get in game to check things out and experiment. For me, I'd rather play games then research them.

With regards to LOTRO specifically, it is too easy to rip apart their "dev diaries" and the other rubbish they're putting out, so I'm not even bothering giving them free press. But once the we get an open beta without an NDA that I can play around in I'm sure I'll have some posts on the new stuff.

Yep. I find myself struggling more and more to find things to talk about on my podcast, because sometimes there will be weeks where nothing of note happened in the MMO industry. Then I have to drag up some old chestnut, or hope there was a bit of news I hadn't covered previously I can touch on, to get a decent 30 minutes strung together. And for those of you who have heard my show, I use the term "decent" rather loosely.

I know companies need to control what information they release, but they would do well to follow Carbine's example regarding "Wildstar". They have "Wildstar Wednesdays", where they always release some news each week, no matter if it is minor or not, they always give you something. That is better than nothing.

I'm also quite encouraged by the communication from the Camelot Unchained team. Granted, they're still a ways out from anything tangible and are trying to build momentum so it isn't a pure indicator of what will happen when they launch. Joel and the TSW team do a pretty decent job, not so much with the frequency but they usually are informative.

I really haven't followed Wildstar at all, mainly because of the art-style but I may check it out.

I like the YouTube reviews to get a look at the game before I buy but for the most part the commentary is ignorant.

I like the precision of a written review to get into the deeper analysis of the game.

I think if someone could pair decent writing with the video review they'd have a hit on his hands.

That said, I'd take a written review over a YouTube review if I had to pick only one.