LOTROCommunity
Bango

Banned from the Turbine Forum...

That photobucket crap puts my desktop browser to the mobile version on that link and I can't get a readable zoom.

Yeah I am thinking of dropping photobucket altogether. The site doesn't like opera browser. Anyone suggest another free image hosting site?

By way of an epitaph to this whole lamentable issue, I've just discovered that the ticket I raised for the moderation appeal has been closed without any reply.

The canned response they send you is one you must reply to to say that yes, you still have an issue. If you don't, they'll close it. So I'm wondering if you replied to the canned response?

The canned response they send you is one you must reply to to say that yes, you still have an issue. If you don't, they'll close it. So I'm wondering if you replied to the canned response?

In the default / canned response I got after raising the ticket it had the following paragraph:

"To update your ticket or inquire about the status, please reply to this Email. In your reply please do not update the default subject line. We request that you refrain from submitting multiple tickets regarding the same issue. If you have received this Email your ticket will be looked at and addressed by the Turbine Community Team."

So after waiting since Thursday, this afternoon I sent a very gentle inquiry and got:

"Your request could not be processed because the ticket is in the status Closed.To submit this as a new issue, please visit our support portal...."

So I translate that to "We've looked at your ticket and have closed it".

In the default / canned response I got after raising the ticket it had the following paragraph:

"To update your ticket or inquire about the status, please reply to this Email. In your reply please do not update the default subject line. We request that you refrain from submitting multiple tickets regarding the same issue. If you have received this Email your ticket will be looked at and addressed by the Turbine Community Team."

So after waiting since Thursday, this afternoon I sent a very gentle inquiry and got:

"Your request could not be processed because the ticket is in the status Closed.To submit this as a new issue, please visit our support portal...."

So I translate that to "We've looked at your ticket and have closed it".

anytime i've delt with account support, i've gotten that canned email, but replied immediately... i think you have 2 days to reply? or the ticket is automatically closed.

this is the script in my emails:

This automated email has been sent to help you resolve the issue that you have reported. If you do not reply it is assumed that the issue was resolved and no further assistance is needed. If you need further assistance, or have questions or concerns, please reply to this email and one of our agents will be happy to assist you further. Lastly, when replying to this email please do not modify or change the "subject" line of the reply message.

was that script from the initial email, or a follow up?

edited:

ok ima dum-dum

you did state it is a follow-up and looking at more of my emails with support, yep, that is the followup script.

so they closed the ticket... dayum.

Yes there's a time limit (I seem to recall 48 hours being a number quoted in their emails to me?).. and it seems you waited too long. In this one case, I'd not assume that the closure is a judgement on your ticket. You've not followed their rules so ofc they're going to follow them absolutely in the chance they don't have to deal with it.

Sorry what time limit? No time limit was mentioned in the original email.

In my experience most help desks & customer support people operate to a set of SLAs (service level agreements) and mostly that does not mean closing the ticket without letting the customer know first as to the reason why it was closed.

Sorry what time limit? No time limit was mentioned in the original email.

In my experience most help desks & customer support people operate to a set of SLAs (service level agreements) and mostly that does not mean closing the ticket without letting the customer know first as to the reason why it was closed.

Seriously, man. Turbine doesn't even give you any handle when you do a proper bug report.

You expect them to notify you when your support ticket is closed? Even if you didn't expect a reason given, which is borderline insanity, that would be very much out of character for today's Turbine.

Also, I bet that your ticket wasn't closed because of a timeout.

So... if I submit another ticket and follow that one up & keep doing so on a daily basis that they will actually assess it?

So... if I submit another ticket and follow that one up & keep doing so on a daily basis that they will actually assess it?

I doubt it. I suspect they closed it because they just don't care about you no more. You dared criticize them. Their response to you that you were banned for criticizing the game and turbine is evident enough of their feelings.

One other poster here actually experienced significant risk to his account, just for giving the blow-by-blow of an appeal process here. They don't seem to be above bullying to silence people.

Definitely file a ticket and then reply to it. Seems the only way to get through. Otherwise the ticket is automatically closed. Lame, isn't it?

if you are using:

http://support.turbi....c&deptID=24001

then open a ticket, be sure to select all the appropriate sections as you fill in the information on the ticket.

reply to the automated mail you recieve to keep the ticket open, restate the issue, but don't change the ticket # etc.

that should be all that is needed.

the only other reason i could think that they closed the ticket, is because your request wasn't for re-instatement of your forum account and fell outside the scope of what they can do for you.

in anycase, perhaps a phone call would serve you better, but who knows.

edited:

phone info

Rain, I know you're just trying to make a hit-and-run troll to smear the entire forum, but I'll reply anyway just in case you want to really do want to discuss the issues you brought up.

You know LOTRO's forum is moderated strictly, right? That doesn't mean the moderators aren't actually nice and decent folk, once you've cleared up whatever caused them to qualify your post as rulebreaking.

I agree, the mods (including Sapience) are probably nice people on a personal level.

Unfortunately, the fact that the mods are nice people doesn't remove the sting of the unjust infraction/ban, that just makes it worse. For example, if you get a letter from the DMCA threatening legal action because they (wrongly) think you downloaded some song, your opinion of them doesn't really change much. But if you get a letter from the Red Cross threatening legal action because they (wrongly) think you lied on the registration forms, you're probably going to forward that letter to the local news.

As for clearing up the cause, that's not always as straightforward as you make it out to be. For the only explanation was 'you're wrong'. When I appealed, the only explanation was 'you were trolling, the infractions stay'.

I tried to clear it up. I tried to figure out what rules I broke. I got nothing but a cut-and-pasted reply that told me absolutely nothing about what rule I broke or how I broke it.

If you have a direct line to Sapience's desk where you can discuss the issues, good for you, but most of us only know the mods through their actions, which are less-than-stellar.

No one can answer that for sure. It's just that there are other people who have complained about their ticket never being properly dealt with who also didn't respond to the canned email somewhat quickly. So that's why I pointed this out.

One other poster here actually experienced significant risk to his account, just for giving the blow-by-blow of an appeal process here. They don't seem to be above bullying to silence people.

Wait. What? I really hope I am misunderstanding this... are you saying a poster here reported a problem he/she was having with the official forums, and he/she was informed about that over there and/or they gave him/her some sort of grief about posting the issue on this site? What are they the Gestapo, now? Was the poster's name "Robert Paulsen"?

No, his forum name was Bohunk. His appeal also took place on the BBB's site. He was threatened.

the main topic, if you feel like some "light" reading. The BBB complaint can be found on this page, under the first (bottom) unresolved complaint from 2011/11/16.

the main topic, if you feel like some "light" reading. The BBB complaint can be found on this page, under the first (bottom) unresolved complaint from 2011/11/16.

Wow. o.k... now I lost my appetite after reading all that... glad to see that other ppl have reported Turbine to BBB, although granted BBB is rather rubbish anyway...

I was thinking of writing them regarding my own situation which I won't derail this thread with now, but I doubt they would be able to resolve it either since it's pretty clear from all the complaints already under the link you provided that they just find one way or another to weasel around any attempts to call them out on things.

Kinda getting to the point with this game lately like I was (and forgive this analogy...) with my last relationship: it was so amazing in the beginning that I hung on for way too long after the crazy-pants and fighting came into it, until I finally could no longer hide the truth from myself - that it was time to just move on.

Well read through the entire complaint on the BBB. Seems the BBB decided to side with Turbine. Unfortunately, Turbine in this instance made a compelling argument, and even supplied names which apparently they believed he was posting under on his kinship site. Is turbine dirty? Absolutely. But could they be telling the truth? Since I haven't experienced all of the wrongs Turbine did between 2011 and 2013, the only thing I've seen first hand was an unjustified ban on me, which they did resolve and admitted that there was no reason for my ban that they could find.

However, seeing their responses to the original poster of this thread, and my own experience thus far with them, it's not a stretch to believe they may of been BSing. Of course 2011 Turbine was still a pretty good company when I left in the middle of that year. However a lot of the BBB complaints after 2011 definitely shows a pattern of them really treating customers poorly. But the fact is Turbine uses cheap/free website software to run their site. Hell their freaking forums is vBulletin! What kind of professional company worth a grain of salt uses forums made with newbies in mind for their websites/forum needs? So it is very likely their responses in the BBB could of been false data submitted. But it could also be likely their data they submitted was legitimate.

I guess what I am saying is, the old Turbine was great. They had a great relationship with their player base. But then they started following Blizzard Entertainment down a dark path, keeping any negative feedback from public view. Their forums have become brown noser central sadly, as people who once cared for the game are either banned, or just so disgusted they've moved on to greener pastures.

Wait. What? I really hope I am misunderstanding this... are you saying a poster here reported a problem he/she was having with the official forums, and he/she was informed about that over there and/or they gave him/her some sort of grief about posting the issue on this site?

Happens quite a bit. Sapience reads these forums and punishes players for what they post here. I am pretty sure that is why he insta-banned me - with only two previous infractions - because my last post was in no way against the forum rules.

Tell you all something - I was quite shocked at the response from some of the posters to the (now deleted) thread posted on the official forum regarding my ban. The speed at which some people threw the accusation of troll certainly raised an eyebrow. I doubt they even bothered to visit this forum and read the details.

I do believe there are people, players / fans of lotro - call them what you will, who are desperate not to see their precious game and company through anything other than through rose-tinted specs. Other than that they're either too young to have experienced what people are really like, in which case they're going to be in for a shock, or are just plain gullible and stupid.

Authoritarians, man. They exist in many (all?) walks of life. It won't matter what evidence exists, they'll side with Authority against the little guy every time, because if Authority says something, it must be true. Sadly, most authoritarians that I've run into aren't even true authoritarians, and especially not on the Turbine forums - they're more like partisan loyalists, people who will defend Authority as long as the Authority is someone/thing they like and want to cozy up to.

I'd bet a few paychecks that every single one of the people who leap to Turbine's defense in these cases, who call someone like you a 'troll', would absolutely be on your side if Blizzard or ArenaNet had treated you like this.

At the time of this post there are 2 threads made by people on the official forums who have been away from the game for some time, yet their posts are there for all to see.

Don't be too hard on the lurker. The way that "other" forum is moderated I'm sure he'll be back one day whining about how he was unfairly infracted/banned and expect us to commiserate with him. And that's when we can say PISS OFF!!!

Don't trolls "lurk" under bridges? Mr. Lurker, if you want to be a proper troll you don't do cowardly hit and runs. It just shows that you have the intent to be a troll, but lack the balls to back it up. :P