LOTROCommunity
mtones

What are you Listening to?

A little Doors with my coffee :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XWQrt00_NM

Deep Purple in the IMHO best line up: Richie Blackmore(Guitar), Ian Gillan(Vocals), John Lord(Keys), Roger Glover(Bass), and Ian Paice(Drums).

I enjoy almost all music, it's easier to mention what I don't like, basically disco, rap (although I do enjoy Eminem, NWA, and a few more old school rappers), and mainstream country. I really don't like any commercial music.

I love Aerosmith, but more when they were still junkies :) Aerosmith is almost 2 bands, before and after. They made a huge comeback and I do like some of their new stuff, but they turned into a band that sounds like they are recording movie soundtracks :(

I seldom listen to music when I drive, unless it's a roadtrip, and I'm really not up on any new bands. Most of the new rock/metal I hear is pure shit IMO.

To date how long it's been since I heard something new I liked, I really enjoy Evanesence (Amy Lee is simply an amazing singer) and White Stripes.

I heard this tacked onto the closing scene of a Sopranos episode years ago, one of those songs that gives me goosebumps. Another amazing singer.

Spidey, for me, when it comes to Aerosmith, the first 5 albums were great, there are some good songs on Night In The Ruts, the odd one on Rock In A Hard Place, the same with Done with Mirrors/Permanent Vacation, then Pump is just a great album, Get a Grip has some smashing tunes on it, and I think that's my time period.

Rocks being my favourite.

Hehe.... I think the reason "new Aerosmith" sounds like "they are recording movie soundtracks" is because they are, lol.

I liked the videos they released in the 90s which definitely held appeal for a younger crowd of listeners, but the sound from then is not exactly what I was used to compared to 80s and especially 70s stuff.... to wit, enclosing here a link to a favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CMKDc8wcCo

I do think the thing about newer music is that we don't connect to it in the same ways as when we were kids just getting into it all... your ear, just like your palate, gets more discerning as the years wear on. If you don't flex it enough, it can be hard to broaden your tastes... the old "if you don't use it, you lose it" applies to many things besides the original target of that statement, hehe.

Deep Purple in the IMHO best line up: Richie Blackmore(Guitar), Ian Gillan(Vocals), John Lord(Keys), Roger Glover(Bass), and Ian Paice(Drums).

Of course,with Morse they are good, but with Blackmore they were perfect.

What I am listening to:

Falco, Prince, Elvis Costello, the Who, Vivaldi, Peter Gabriel, Niel Young, Dylan, Coldplay.

Anyone else use Spotify?

And this:

Despite the 80's video - hard to beat that song.

My tastes also go way back into the 60s and 50s. And to roots:

Zeppelin is amazing too.

Here is a trip back to the golden age of music videos:

This guy defines cool.

Hehe. Some very interesting stuff so far :*)

My antidote for this morning's cool, gray, Monday morning fog: Coltrane B)

It's OK to admit you listen to other musics on the side =P

Wtf?? "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" o.O

Is this a "south american connection" thing again? hehe

Mint Royale - Blue Song

Gotye - Eyes Wide Open

Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme

Kavinsky - Nightcall

Woodkid - Iron

And just because:

Eric Clapton - Layla (Live)

[/media]

Now I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to remember what the hell the name of this chillout song I have stuck in my head... *flute noise* do duh dadoooo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6eJjxy696s

Good times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8lWNUjHEYI

Just because they remind me of the good old USA, and because Hotel California is probably the greatest song ever written by any band. Great lyrics, great guitar solo(s) and harmonies, fabulous intro, and Don Henley has such a distinctive voice.

Hehe. I think one of the best concerts I ever went to was Tom Petty at the Shoreline Amphitheater back in '99... the venue is outdoors. Went with a friend and we took food, blanket, usual stuff... the music was so amazing and the crowd so happy, I was on cloud 9 for about two weeks after. He really knows how to connect with people.

As for Eagles, you are right... ^^^that song is awesome, lol.

The one unequivocal sound that pops into my head when I think of "America" in music though is usually these guys:

Nothing better than an outdoor concert, I saw Metallica years ago at Deer Creek, Indiana while on holiday. There's something about an outdoor gig in summer that makes for such a great atmosphere.

S&G isn't the normal type of music I'd listed to but the harmonies on Sound of Silence are superb. Some of those musicians that even if you don't know the track, you can tell it's them. Every time I hear them now though it reminds me of the Curb your Enthusiasm episode where Larry David gets stuck at the Paul Simon concert with the old lady.

For some reason the bangles remind me of them, must be the harmonies. Suzanna Hoffs still looks pretty much as good now as she did 25 years ago. Some witchcraft going on somewhere.....

The most weirdly talented geek I have met in person...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0I2L7s9uk