LOTROCommunity
Tinker

"A routing issue" preventing players from logging in

Seems the servers have been down for some players for hours now. The message Turbine gave four hours ago on Facebook:

"We are working with our provider to resolve a routing issue that is preventing some players from logging in. We apologize for the inconvenience."

And one hour ago:

"We continue to assist our vendors as they work to address the routing issues."

When I try to log on I get a launcher message saying 'Installing Pre-Reqs'. Not sure what that means.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?522197-Game-Server-Down&p=6896071#post6896071

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?522197-Game-Server-Down&p=6896218#post6896218

Oops...

tumblr_mktpgb3JWS1ry10fwo1_500.gif

The information Turbine has provided doesn't quite add up with what players have been reporting.

In the end, it doesn't really matter where the responsibility lies for this outage. However, it would be nice to see Turbine actually take ownership of an issue for a change. There always seems to be plenty of blame for third parties and for players themselves, but it's rare to see Turbine actually say, "We're sorry."

Even if it's not Turbine's fault, they should accept responsibility for it. That would shut everyone up who's arguing about who to blame or where the problem is.

I think Turbine underestimates the sympathy, goodwill, and appreciation a genuine apology can bring about in the community. It's also really hard to argue against an apology like that without sounding like a jerk.

(Edit: Not sure if that word is allowed here. Sorry.)

Edited by Fredelas

http://www.webhostin...ad.php?t=285627

It's New England so this is all expected.

For those who don't know it is memorial day long weekend here, and it's raining. One of the prime MMO times of the year.

About an hour ago on Facebook Turbine says...

"We continue to work with our vendors to resolve the current issues. To prevent further frustrations to players who were logging in only to be disconnected, we have disabled the ability to log into the game for the time being. You may also find that attempts to ping or trace route during this time may fail."

Hmmm....now why would they want to stop folks from pinging or tracing routes? sherlock.gif

So disabled logging in intentionally? That's gonna go far. Even if you can't log in the server should be able to provide a ping back.Forums work though, you can log in and post.

I am not blaming Turbine for this one (yet), but that is pretty bad. A good day weekend and people cannot play. I just read of a guy and his wife who cleared the day and hired a baby sitter so they can play together for the first time in forever. A lot of people are going to be unhappy, and I think they will lose players over this.

I just can't see this happening in any of the big MMOs (Rift, Warcraft, or GW2). Communication is as bad as ever. Can it be really true that any player can post on the forums, and and no one from Turbine can post. Not very believable - that they cannot get around this, if it is true.

I can no longer reach the forums. Even more surprising, my pings/trace routes now stop entirely before the Turbine sub domains where bbefore they were further in.

But the forums just came back. And someone said Turbine actually turned off their servers so that is probably why Crell. Not sure of the details, but looks like Turbine turned off the login servers so players would get less of an annoying message.

FB:

"We continue to work with our vendors to resolve the current issues. To prevent further frustrations to players who were logging in only to be disconnected, we have disabled the ability to log into the game for the time being. You may also find that attempts to ping or trace route during this time may fail."

The IPs might be part of Turbine's namespace, but that doesn't necessarily mean the devices are owned by turbine or within their facility.

Every time I've hooked up someone to a backbone provider, the first "internal" IP usually points to a device within the backbone data facility (or at least the closest multi-peer facility), the second points to the receiving device on the other end of the fiber/copper/microwave link, and the the third points to the client's networking equipment. Those first two devices may or may not be owned by Turbine, but they're most likely located within the backbone facility rather than Turbine's datacenter.

Also, it seems they're using Internap (pnap.net) as their main bandwidth provider. In my experience, they're only one step above using a residential cable modem. Sure, you get decent speeds when the network works, but they don't have any backup measures to route around breaks in the lines (road construction, down trees, etc), so you're out of luck until a crew physically goes to the site of the break and splices the lines back together.

So I have to reluctantly agree with those saying that this specific outage is outside of Turbine's control (at least in terms of getting it fixed quickly), but I do still feel that WB/Turbine should bear the blame for choosing to go with a budget provider rather than someone with a 100% uptime guarantee.

It is just laziness, and/or time of night, that is the reason they are not posting on the Official Forums right? There is no way they can't access the forums when everyone else can, right?

It is not like, when every single Lotro player is unable to log in, people would naturally look to the forums for information.

All have 100% connectivity and low pings between one another, so any claims that this is part of a widespread problem are greatly exaggerated.

Unless you're being routed through Sprint, LBC, or Level 3 communications. Then you might be suffering some major packetloss at a peering point. (Mouse over them)

Still I find it odd that they'd pull their forums down when they took down the login servers. ;)

apparently it isn't just LoTRO.

Someone else on the server farm is also affected.

DDO as well

i guess with the new baby in high promo at PAX prime, at least there is a good chance it will be fixed soon.

*smirk*

Both DDO and Infinite Crisis are run by Turbine, so they are in the same datacenter as well.

And the part about not a single Turbine employee not being able to post on the forums is a load of crap. One thread about the outage can have 40,000+ reads today alone, yet Turbine employees can't log into the forums? Riiiight...

Unless you're being routed through Sprint, LBC, or Level 3 communications. Then you might be suffering some major packetloss at a peering point. (Mouse over them)

True, but single-digit packet loss doesn't bring down an entire datacenter, it just means the link is overloaded and the router is automatically dropping packets. While 0% is always the goal, anything between 1 and 5% is really only noticeable in streaming video or voice.

And for reference, here's the current status of the real backbone providers.

http://www.interneth...etric=AvailNtwk

All have 100% connectivity and low pings between one another, so any claims that this is part of a widespread problem are greatly exaggerated.

Must be that new South American ISP that took over around Boston.

Oh.. and you have received an infraction for spreading rumors based on dubious data from iffy third party sites.

Both DDO and Infinite Crisis are run by Turbine, so they are in the same datacenter as well.

And the part about not a single Turbine employee not being able to post on the forums is a load of crap. One thread about the outage can have 40,000+ reads today alone, yet Turbine employees can't log into the forums? Riiiight...

Why not, if all Turbine employees working at this case are at turbine HQ and all their internet connections go through the same cable which doesn't work? WIth a phone you can post on facebook/twitter easily, so that's no problem. Posting on the forums by phone (or even opening them) isn't something you want to do - at least not on an up-to-date windows 8-phone, an iphone with chrome as browser or a samsung galaxy III (since I tried it with those last week.

So if there own internet connection structure follows the same route as their servers and it's broken, they can't do a thing ;)

Of course you could: take any laptop with wifi, tether it to a smart phone, and then post on the forums. There is no possible way the internet of any major phone company is down. But hey - nobody has a laptop nowadays - or a smart phone.

And I was able to think of how to do this after 1 minute. They have had 8 hours. Really there is no excuse - they just don't think it matters - the players can wait.

My own suspicions are with the shutdown of Pando. Will be interesting to know how they plan to distribute the game in the future - Steam of course being the other option.

Wow. I finally got the new puter up and running and find to my surprise I can't log in either. Thought is was on my end first till I saw this thread. *phew