LOTROCommunity
Artamir92

The determined defense of Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep

They claim the are sticking to the lore but in bit battles you will be able to fire siege weapons. I dont remember Theoden ordering siege weapons to be fired at the hoards or orcs

Aren't siege weapons customarily fired against the castle?

Some are some aren't, there have been many versions of wall mounted ballistae and catapult, mainly used to launch flaming objects and loose shrapnel into the massed rank of the enemy.

Well, that was a happy article. Sounded like a Turbine PR person was standing over the author's shoulder.

Aren't siege weapons customarily fired against the castle?

Depends. If they stick to dropping hot oil and stones on the oncoming hordes, or firing ballista at their catapults and such, then that's perfectly acceptable. But I suspect they will have catapults to fire, and that makes no sense at all.

Some are some aren't, there have been many versions of wall mounted ballistae and catapult, mainly used to launch flaming objects and loose shrapnel into the massed rank of the enemy.

From the book, I don't recall catapults being in use at the Battle of Helm's Deep, at least from the defenders against the hordes.

Well, that was a happy article. Sounded like a Turbine PR person was standing over the author's shoulder.

I don't really like reading Olivetti's work anymore, on Massively or his blog. He has himself spread out over so many games that I tend to get the feeling he doesn't *really* know any of them to any deeper degree. He strikes me more as a virtual worlds tourist, never getting into nitty gritty of the games he plays.

Oh and I'm not so impressed with those images of Helm's Deep. Looks dated and not impressive so far. I never had high expectations though.

Looks like the same crap as always: 1 zone but described as more, theme park areas (the swamp area, the field area, the wooded area, the undead area, etc), a couple of half-assed books, 300 quests that will be the same 'collect x' and 'kill y' quests, and no real end-game.

Also, what's with the gap in the wall? I remember there being a grate there, not just a clear opening.

Hooray for saving up my VIP points.

pfft. fail loremasters can just trait the beast tree & have their multiple pets do all the work now. skill tree looks terribad. i see plenty of store unlock icons as well.

Helms Deep... is that finished? lot of oddities going on there. no shots of the great horn of Helm Hammerhand... weird.

also, who knew we'd get to fight loin-clothed Prince Adam... maybe they'll add a Skeletor to the paths of the dead. >.<

Warden, hunter, guardian, minstrel, loremaster, runekeeper, champion, burglar, captain :P

With blind luck they will get 1 class to work fine

Did anyone else look at Helm's Deep and think meh? It's the same feeling I got when I first saw the Argonath in game.

There was a fair bit that Peter Jackson didn't get right, but I think his Helm's Deep was great.

Did anyone else look at Helm's Deep and think meh? It's the same feeling I got when I first saw the Argonath in game.

There was a fair bit that Peter Jackson didn't get right, but I think his Helm's Deep was great.

I looked at it and thought I was looking at some crappy Angmarim castle.

You're right! I knew something wasn't right about it. It looks like something that should be in Northern Angmar.

actually, they re-purposed some of the assets from Isenguard. think pavement tiles on the road through Nan Curinur. & that would actually be according to Lore. the builders of the Hornburg, were also responsible for Isenguard.

i'd have to dig out my books to check on the scale of the walls, but the ones in the images from the OPs' linked article seem to be lacking in height.

also i'll point it out again. i find it odd all images are specifically shot to exclude the great horn of Helm Hammerhand. something just looks entirely off about the images chosen. i honestly do question if all the assets in this tour were indeed finished. those wood structures atop the towers of the rampart look utter shit as well.

i'd have to dig out my books to check on the scale of the walls, but the ones in the images from the OPs' linked article seem to be lacking in height.

20ft high and wide enough for four men to walk along side by side!

Technical tricks to show thousands of angry orcs?

Wulf's Cleft!

This is likely exactly what we're looking at. So "Big Battles" is really a modified Skirmish with small-scale combat on multiple fronts, and graphical tricks to make it look like a huge army is attacking in the background.

Pretty lucky timing for Turbine. Distract players from the Intel crashing problems and the downtime with this leaked info on HD. Very lucky - this will be what players focus on now for a while.

Unless the players can't play the game - of course that would be their focus until Turbine fixed the issue (less likely) or those players quit (more likely). I have a feeling PCs with Intel HD graphics will not be able to play Lotro - and of course will be able to play many other MMOs and games.

This is likely exactly what we're looking at. So "Big Battles" is really a modified Skirmish with small-scale combat on multiple fronts, and graphical tricks to make it look like a huge army is attacking in the background.

Sound helps, too. One of the aspects of Mirkwood I liked (in the vicinity of Dol Guldur) was the soundtrack of distant cries, snarling beasts, and clashing weapons. Very atmospheric.

Pretty lucky timing for Turbine. Distract players from the Intel crashing problems and the downtime with this leaked info on HD. Very lucky - this will be what players focus on now for a while.

Unless the players can't play the game - of course that would be their focus until Turbine fixed the issue (less likely) or those players quit (more likely). I have a feeling PCs with Intel HD graphics will not be able to play Lotro - and of course will be able to play many other MMOs and games.

One more time: IT IS NOT ONLY INTELS.. ATI AND NVIDIA TOO. Then again, people should stop getting those three barely known generic brands of GPU.................... Must be those South American parts makers.

I know, lol, I was pointing this out myself. You have to assume Lotro is buggy on more machines. But at least we know Intel integrated graphics is having major issues.

I am fully expecting them to just hide this problem until all of the players go away.

Trait-Tree-Panel.jpg

it is a pity i can't skip that if i don't purchase helms deep.

anyway, pretty hilarious just who is excited about having multiple pets out at once. same folk who still don't know the unique of certain pets. or perhaps they are getting rid of flank heals, taunt, or revive chance, etc.

anyone thinking this adds complexity is a fool. this is painfully dumbing down the game.

nothing like GW2 trait system, so i assume these copycats are once again drawing from the well known as WoW.

pathetic.

i didn't purchase the last instance cluster & never will... if they gave it to me for free, i doubt i'd even play the content.

i certainly won't be purchasing this Xpack.

OK... you were waiting for me to bring some plus points? Going to Helm's Deep, being in on Aragorn smacking down Wormtongue, new cosmetics, aftermath of the Fords of Isen, epic battles as endgame. All good as far as I'm concerned. Housing revamp is not included but, intriguingly, they've said on Facebook that it will be this year. I'm wondering if they mean that, because there isn't a lot of year left for new announcements.