LOTROCommunity
Artamir92

The determined defense of Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep

I'm not sure it is actually a screenshot in the shire, it's one of the background pictures used on this page http://www.lotro.com/en/explore/world, i'm pretty sure that they were asked where it was taken some years ago and they said it was actually a publicity mock-up using their in house tools,

It is a screenshot taken from the Shire. I think it is around that ruin, filled with wargs in Budgeford's outskirts. Or maybe around Scary.

I've just looked at the article and if the trait trees are anything like the ones DDO currently has then

there are going to be many people upset with the soon to be lack of versatility as compared to what

currently is in place. There were a crap ton of builds rendered useless by the trait trees and in

fact the way they are structured meant a lot of popular choices/combos now available were split

where you couldn't do them anymore.

For example Thieves Mechanic was separated from Assassin. Not top tier level builds but the little

things you wanted to do to help your char along the way. Now you can't have your Asn with the small

bonus to spot/search/disable device/open lock. also they are making Mechanic good again by messing

with true sight.

I've said before that DDO was the beta test for LoTRO and seeing what's happened in the past (daily presents, store,

and other things that hit DDO first) I don't see things changing with trait trees. Lots of upset customers reacting to the

change on DDO side and the soon to be tidal waves of complaints for LoTRO.

There will be a ton of complaining.... Mark my words.

If bumping your own posts gets you an infraction I'll wear it like a medal.

If bumping your own posts gets you an infraction I'll wear it like a medal.

It doesn't here, at least not that I'm aware of.

it doesn't on the official forums either, as long as you're bumping to beg people to vote for you at some other site so you can win a laptop.

it doesn't on the official forums either, as long as you're bumping to beg people to vote for you at some other site so you can win a laptop.

_O- _O- _O-

A gem from today's forum:

"Yes it is. Sadly there are those who choose to believe that anything they say, in any manner, is valid in both message and tone. This is, of course, not true and usually results in disruption more than useful feedback. How you say things has a very heavy impact on how your feedback is taken and what kind of weight it is given. It is possible to give very critical feedback in a polite manner."

It is also possible to not practice what you preach.

Fact.

Yes, sadly, Sapience often fails to listen to his own words, or read his own "Community Guidelines" for that matter.

I wonder if he delights himself by making posts like this and if he often asks himself:

"How do I come across as a complete dick without sounding like a complete dick?"

Because that's how most of his responses sound. VERY condescending.

Sapience is basically saying "what you say" matters less than how you say it. What is possibly true is this: "how you say something is important - or will affect how it is received". Or maybe he wants to say "it is possible to be polite and respectful when giving criticism"

But we know very polite criticism sometimes can get you banned and will be deleted/hidden. So basically he is lying again and trying to sell the myth that only rude posts get infractions or deleted. Which we know is not true - but is often repeated by fans like Khafar.

The idea that the content or "what you say" does not matter is ridiculous. Here is an example. Based on Sapience's twisted logic: the words of Charles Manson spoken by James Earl Jones have more worth than the words of Jesus spoken by daffy duck. Clearly "what you say" is important, whatever tone it is used.

But he is just not intelligent enough to figure this out - or to speak clearly. Sorry, Sapience, no offense but you just do not communicate well or clearly. Here is a hint, Turbine - if you took Sapience off of his job - sales and number of players in Lotro would increase.

I don't know if he is really that self-unaware or not. 

The "Miss Manners" lecture stuff is starting to give me a creepy vibe, when placed alongside some of his more infamous pronouncements.

For his next Extra Life video he should forget the elves and dwarves and go with a Smeagol/Gollum split personality theme.

I see. I had always thought the base engine, the maps, all of those were offshoots of the MMO project.

I still like movement in my combat, I find standing in one place and icon clicking to be pretty boring. Figuring out the sequence needed for a given group and given scenario is engaging, like a puzzle game, but it seems so one-and-done to me.

I've stumbled upon a video with actual Kingdom of Amalur (Project Copernicus) MMO gameplay and combat.

Combat starts at 1:20.   Inductions, tab-targetting, etc    Not combat system like in KoA single player.  Even graphics engine and art assets are diffrent, althrough overall graphic style is not suprisingly similar.

Anyway like I said KoA single player RPG was not made out of unused MMO game turned into single player RPG from lack of money.

[...]

But we know very polite criticism sometimes can get you banned and will be deleted/hidden. So basically he is lying again and trying to sell the myth that only rude posts get infractions or deleted. Which we know is not true - but is often repeated by fans like Khafar.

[...]

Look at what happened to Fredelas. That right there *proves* all this "how you say it" crap is pure tripe. If you are a Sycophant Apologist Player - a SAP, you are given a free pass to Rudeville. Turbine knows it and WB *knows it.* Period. They all think the Tolkien IP gives them an endless supply of "Kash-Kiddies" and they've bought the "they will play no matter how we treat them" line of stupidity. I hope they are proven wrong.

I finally bought HD, with TP of course. The landscape is absolutely beautiful, much better than anything since SoM. Even the buildings, inside and out, are much better than RoR. Questing is still boring as always. Voice acting is still terrible. Theoden has the same voice as one of the dwarves from the Moria epic. I did the Wildemere epic before entering HD. Why does Nona have a different voice every single xpac? Big Battles are a Big Joke. I think Doro said that they were just big skirms, I disagree, skirms are much better. The soundtrack blows. I swear I hear the intro to Freebird in one of the songs :P All in all, better than RoR, I guess, not that that it saying much......

I think Doro said that they were just big skirms, I disagree, skirms are much better.

Yeah, I'll admit that I was wrong. You're right when you say skirms are better. At least in skirms, what I did mattered. And I don't have to go running about to kill mobs that NPCs will just nuke before I can arrive. And with offensive skirms, I set my own pace. With Boring Battles, I have to wait around for waves of a whole 5 mobs at a time to come, before they then die from either ranged players on my team or the NPCs that the mobs care more about. And in skirms, I'd get loot at the end of one run.

The whole thing is just a gimmick and a badly implemented one at that.

It is a screenshot taken from the Shire. I think it is around that ruin, filled with wargs in Budgeford's outskirts. Or maybe around Scary.

I think he's right, that place doesn't exist in LOTRO, it's "concept art" sort of. I remember scouting the whole Shire to try to find it (I'm an explorer, I love that kind of challenge) and I never found it.

I've stumbled upon a video with actual Kingdom of Amalur (Project Copernicus) MMO gameplay and combat.

Combat starts at 1:20.   Inductions, tab-targetting, etc    Not combat system like in KoA single player.  Even graphics engine and art assets are diffrent, althrough overall graphic style is not suprisingly similar.

Anyway like I said KoA single player RPG was not made out of unused MMO game turned into single player RPG from lack of money.

I see general similarities but yeah totally different really. Not sure but it still looks like it might have been okay, but oh so generic. Thanks for this!