LOTROCommunity
Artamir92

The determined defense of Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep

According to Massively (and this thread was originally about an article they posted) there's an "avalanche" of info regarding Helm's Deep. I respectfully beg to differ and I suspect we may shortly see another animated Wilfred Gif.

*prepares*

Oh and Doro, the case against you was proven months ago. The only one who doesn't realise that is you.

Peril, obviously you have a grudge against Doro - since nothing he posted recently in this thread was inappropriate or aimed at any other individual. You personal attacks on him are kind of off topic. I don't remember the story behind them - thankfully.

Peril, obviously you have a grudge against Doro - since nothing he posted recently in this thread was inappropriate or aimed at any other individual. You personal attacks on him are kind of off topic. I don't remember the story behind them - thankfully.

no point to make, just learning to post animated gif's (never did that before)! this word inspired.

the-grudge-animated-scary-graphic.gif

Lol Crow.

Nosam 9, a grudge is defined as thus: "A persistent feeling of ill will or resentment resulting from a past insult or injury". I feel no "grudge" towards Doro.

Doro has stated in the past he feels it is important to call people out on things he feel's are wrong. He has done this on occasions. I have chosen to do that today.

Both parties have stated their position. I doubt there will be any further discussion between him and I. So effectively, "these aren't the Droids you're looking for, move along".

Oh and please don't talk about thread derailing as if I'm the world's worst offender on this forum :)

Best damn weapon in the game. Nothing better than watching a giant charge at you, prepare to slap your shit and then turn into a bunny.

Best sums up Skyrim....I so can not wait for ESO, especially at this point

I don't know Peril. What you did in this thread to Doro is about as bad a dropping the bomb on Hiroshima. Hard for me to just let it go.

Best damn weapon in the game. Nothing better than watching a giant charge at you, prepare to slap your shit and then turn into a bunny.

I never did try using that weapon in Skyrim. I'm pretty sure it's still in my inventory though. That questline was fantastic though. What was really cool is that not long before it started, I'd read a random book about Sheogorath.. and then there he was! :)

I don't know Peril. What you did in this thread to Doro is about as bad a dropping the bomb on Hiroshima.

Now that's some hyberbole!

I don't know Peril. What you did in this thread to Doro is about as bad a dropping the bomb on Hiroshima. Hard for me to just let it go.

Not sure if you are serious without the smiley or meme ;)

It's fine. I'm used to the way Moderate (misnomer?) behaves, I had just forgotten what he's like. Won't be a problem from now on, though.

I never did try using that weapon in Skyrim. I'm pretty sure it's still in my inventory though. That questline was fantastic though. What was really cool is that not long before it started, I'd read a random book about Sheogorath.. and then there he was! :)

Weirdly enough, the same thing happened to me :P

Not sure if you are serious without the smiley or meme ;)

You'd think that since there is no possible way I could mean that, that I must not be serious. I was making a joke because Peril was saying that Doro's comparison was too extreme.

New topic/question:

Why is is Lotro cannot get an honest review? Why is it no blogger or fan site is willing to put out any balanced opinion? Only CSTM's ridiculous spoon fed hype?

For other MMOs you get better discussion and critical reviews. Why not Lotro?

I'll post my response for this, although many have covered it. Essentially if you write an honest review of LOTRO or ask them tough questions, they refuse to continue to provide early access. So, you either stop asking tough questions and play their game, or sift through other peoples work to see what's there.

I continue to be pretty blunt about my impressions of LOTRO, although like others I am losing interest, but there's only so much information available to me, and I'm not willing to re-post leaks.

I never did try using that weapon in Skyrim. I'm pretty sure it's still in my inventory though.

Just be careful how you use it ...

As the sarcastic cynical bastard y'all know me to be....

I missed the word "avalanche" when reading it.. twice.. had to Ctrl+F (once in the title, once in the comments). Sappo being the sarcastic cynical bastard y'all know him to be...

read that article again... That would have landed me an infraction for reposting I bet. If he's let that review slide on official forums, he's losing his touch.

"For whatever reason, Turbine's been holding onto all of this information about Helm's Deep and then decided to push it all out at once a couple of months prior to the expansion's release. As such, I'm seeing Lord of the Rings Online fans scurry all over the place trying to soak up the news and make sense of it all.

It's been... interesting, to say the least."

Yeah... I'd use those words on a calmer day or if asked to describe the situation in an office-safe way.

"LotRO's in for a packed fall, no matter whether you're feeling psyched, depressed, confused, or anything else in the emotional rainbow. I'm right there with the rest of you, sorting and analyzing."

Ok I'm done analyzing but "keeping it neutral".

"I can only speculate what's gone on behind the scenes.... Then we heard a lot of nothing until a few weeks ago."

Same as the rest of us.. then again there's a comments section in every form of press. I consider blogs as press too. Just because CNN doesn't own it doesn't make it not-press if it sticks to that kind of language as a form of admission to not being entirely sure.

"Surprise or no, November 18th is what we're facing and that's what we've got to deal with. Assuming that it won't launch a shambled mess, <or best case scenario>".

Translation: Draw your own conclusions.

"It's nothing too mind-blowing, to tell you the truth. Or as CSTM put it, "This looked like a really expensive movie ticket to me." I would avoid it, because I can buy my own movie tickets and I'm really averse to dumping money into the LI system."

Ohsnap.. incidentally, I've always considered CSTM press.

"OK, so here's where some of you will probably dislike me. I'm not up in arms about this change. I can see Turbine's dilemma here, and while it's certainly not a good shot to the studio's PR, it does make sense. "

And the rest of THIS paragraph, moment of honesty everyone. If Turbine were still in our good graces, we wouldn't have given a crap (remember, scenario where Turbine is in our good graces still) since "I'm buying the expansion anyways". That's of course in a parallel universe where we'd be happily anticipating high quality, stable if not necessarily groundbreaking content for HD. We'd have been worried about it being a first (not twentieth) step to obscene monetization without any form of shame. But, back to reality... that Wilfred has been long-awarded.

"I think it certainly was not a good thing for players to have to find out this information by pestering a CM until he spilled the beans; Turbine should've been really up-front about this change from the start. It wasn't even mentioned to me during my dev tour a few weeks back. People don't always react well to change, especially when the change involves charging for something that previously was free."

((Proper way to politely express a Wilfred))

All in all a scathing review considering the usual love and kittens awarded to Turdbine.

My guess is Turbine's already been wielding some form of clout and/or breaking promises towards certain sites >.>

*cough*

Just something a bit off the original topic.

I don't know if anyone knew GM +Dust, who was apparently very active on the Riddermark Server. Earlier this evening on BR someone asked what had happened to him. +Applepie responded that he had moved on to work for another company.

just wanted to pop in with some images of He... .... Isenguard & Orthanc.

re-purposed textures? check!

Isenguard_zps5b068d49.png

i never really publicly posted just how bad i thought Orthanc looked. textures are horrid.

MoreOrthanc_zps70789709.png

& WTF is happening with the windows? doesn't look like curtains hanging... or light emanating through... it just looks crap.

Orthanctexture_zps798c4b70.png

so in retrospect... i guess it shouldn't be too surprising that Helms Deep looks so terribad.

All I can see are carelessly designed mountains in the upper left corner of the screenshot.

I don't mind that they're recycling (well I *do mind* but let's just stick with what I said) but why refuse to copy stuff that actually looked good?

/Edit: and get new voice actors/lines for the NPCs while you're at it.

Well, it makes sense to have Helms Deep and Orthanc using the same textures since they were built during the same period by the same people according to the lore.

Only it would be maybe a good idea if they used better looking textures ;):P

I doubt turbine will care about this feedback (since class feedback also seems to fall upon deaf ears)

If they do however notice this poll they will probably interpret it in the following way:

"76,5% don't like these changes? Well 23,5% like them, so that clearly means the majority is supporting them."

As Turbine have previously said, they don't care about polls or surveys. They brush them off as a 'minority' of players, which is how they brush off most legitimate concerns. They, along with the fanboys, will say something like 'these figures are flawed because the forums don't represent the entire player base and represent those who take issue with the game, since satisfied players are busy playing'. The usual logical fallacies.

Turbine doesnt like petitions, which now also probably includes polls I bet :)

They do like surveys. I still get links to them every now and then. However, the multiple choice answers always seem to hinder giving an accurate response.

Just something a bit off the original topic.

I don't know if anyone knew GM +Dust, who was apparently very active on the Riddermark Server. Earlier this evening on BR someone asked what had happened to him. +Applepie responded that he had moved on to work for another company.

I remember +Dust very well from Elendilmir. Extraordinarilly helpful GM. Very sad that he/she is gone, but not surprising given the games current environment.