LOTROCommunity

WAR shuts down

Thanks, i'm curious as to what MMO Troll and Moderate think myself.

What i'm more worried about is the leveling aspect..

Is it possible to grind our way throught the levels on mobs or would that be way too slow?

Are there large scale pve systems like the PQ's from WAR?

Is there enough group content for us to group our way through?

We realy don't want to feel like we're soling all the way through to max level like many games (wow and lotro to mention just two) and prefer to do group stuff leveling together instead.

I don't have much experience in both Rift and GW2 - played both for a bit, but not my cup of tea, althrough I made some observations when playing and research outside of that.

Both Rift and GW2 have something that is bit similar to PQ from Warhammer.

Rift one is called Rifts (duh!) and are usually preety simple - bunch of mobs are 'invading' part of the land and ppl need to kill them. What they have that GW2 counterpart don't is two things. I think Rift can overtake part of land, kill NPCs, etc so it have more consequence - you need to defeat it if you want to access those NPCs to give your quests in, use vendors, etc Another thing - there are PVP servers in which you can do Rifts AND fight other faction at same time. Althrough I think most people were PVP-ing in instanced Battlegrounds anyway.

GW2 have PQ-like sytems called Dynamic Questing. I think it is preety similar to PQ just hmm bit more 'complex' and a little bit less generic (althrough still generic). Then you have those semi-persistant huge instanced RVR-like battlegrounds called WvW. There you are upscaled to max level automatically in regards to HP, etc but you don't have weapon skills and traits (or what are they called? I forgot) and miss better gear, but you can get them by playing there AFAIK. It will be slower than by using PQ / Dynamic questiong but it is doable I think.

I don't remember though if there is any need to do i.e. Story quests to get some kind of character perks.

Rift combat is more similar to War, GW2 is bit diffrent. Both suck imo ;p

Rift seem fist and foremost a PVE game with sizeable PVP component, but still primarly PVE game. GW2 is like 3 separate mini-games (sPVP, PVE and WvW) in one game, but is certainly more PVP focused than Rift.

If I said something wrong or outdated correct me pls. I don't play GW2 and Rift anymore for long time.

Alternatively there is also Darkfall Unholy Wars which is super-centered on PVP. There is certainly mob-grinding and group PVP, but it is diffrent and more hardcore PVP game than Warhammer. I haven't played it myself though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's the same in WAR, you can actually even get to Rank 15/Realm Rank 10 in around 30 minutes from creating a charactor.

The "newbie experience in WAR" is exciting enough for me, that's all down to personal preference, and again i see nothing wrong with the animations there are some pretty cool looking ones in my opinion.

As to auto granting, yes many new games are going down the dumb player route and auto granting skills, personally i think that ruins the whole game, but then again i'm of the generation who loved the training system in SWG.

Heh. And I'm of the generation that played AC, DAoC, and games like that. We dismissed vanilla WoW because it was far too easy and levelling was just too fast. And yet now, almost a decade later, I'm glad for a lot of the simplification (or "dumbing down") of MMO's. I simply don't have the time, or patience, to grind anymore. Hence why Aion and the Lineage games are not on my list of games I've played. And I don't have the time, or patience, to deal with clunky user interfaces and arcane character development systems. Rift's soul system is about as complicated as I'm willing to go; and even there, only my main gets a lot of effort expended on his gear, faction reputation, and min-max'ed soul combinations. The rest of my alts all get by on quest-granted gear, whatever faction rep they gain naturally through questing, and Flavor of the Month builds others have taken the time to design, test, and publicize.

And yes, "art" is invariably subjective.. I've never played WoW, not because the game is too easy, but rather because the artwork is far too cartoonish. Yet there are clearly millions of people for whom that is not an issue.

---

On your second point, there is no doubt in my mind that the "insufficient interest in long-term subscriptions" was utter BS. I'm a finance guy; there is almost no extra cost involved in offering multiple subscription lengths and you almost always want as much money up front as you can get (because $100 today is almost always worth more than $100 spread over an eight month period). The only logical reason for discontinuing long-term subscriptions was to avoid the potential PR disaster of long-term subscribers getting "orphaned" by the game's shutdown.

---

Regarding your Rift / GW2 question:

There really is nothing in Rift comparable to RvR from DAoC or WAR. PvP consists primarily of "balanced" 10v10 and 20v20 "warfronts," one giant zerg-encouraging PvP zone (which is actually just a copy of one of the PvE zones reworked with PvP objectives), and open world ganking (for those who play on PvP servers or choose to activate the PvP flag on a PvE server.

Based on the tastes and preferences you've expressed in your posts, I suspect Rift would not be a great fit for you. However, it is possible to level entirely through PvP or a combination of PvP, dungeons, and dynamic events. The game is also F2P (and a very understated variant of F2P at that), so trying it out wouldn't cost you anything other than the time invested.

As others have pointed out, GW2 does have three-faction large-scale PvP. If you're willing to wait a while, Elder Scrolls Online will also feature yet another variant on that same theme.

In any case, I hope you find something that fits.

Well we tried out Rift over the weekend (despite the fact that i was deathly ill) and we quite enjoyed it, i wanted our group to try out GW2 and give that a chance as well but they weren't too keen to fork out £39.99 just to "see if it's good" so that didn't happen. Anyway, most of us seemed to actually fall in love with Rift right away, i think what did it was the fact that you just don't have to do all the pesky quests to level, you can jump between running around rifting, doing instances or random dungeons. The only common dislike we had was how easy it was, we all reached level 20 fairly quickly without dying (except for an end boss dungeon that killed everyone because we forgot to stay in the protection bubble, that one was so daft we ignored it), but we did enjoy it and i think we will stick with it for the time being, at least until another coupel of GW2 trials have come out and we've checked that out.

As for the PvP side of things, we haven't tried that yet, we had far too much to learn before even thinking about that, but we dkid decide to choose a PvP server to make things a little more exciting.

Well we tried out Rift over the weekend (despite the fact that i was deathly ill) and we quite enjoyed it, i wanted our group to try out GW2 and give that a chance as well but they weren't too keen to fork out £39.99 just to "see if it's good" so that didn't happen. Anyway, most of us seemed to actually fall in love with Rift right away, i think what did it was the fact that you just don't have to do all the pesky quests to level, you can jump between running around rifting, doing instances or random dungeons. The only common dislike we had was how easy it was, we all reached level 20 fairly quickly without dying (except for an end boss dungeon that killed everyone because we forgot to stay in the protection bubble, that one was so daft we ignored it), but we did enjoy it and i think we will stick with it for the time being, at least until another coupel of GW2 trials have come out and we've checked that out.

As for the PvP side of things, we haven't tried that yet, we had far too much to learn before even thinking about that, but we dkid decide to choose a PvP server to make things a little more exciting.

I find you can easily get to level 35+ in "Rift" without dying, aside from the occasional misstep. I was working on leveling a Cleric to cap with zero deaths, but bit it at level 17 by going AFK in a bad location (Killed by random invasion). The first time I actually died due to being overwhelmed by a pull was at level 36. I don't see that as easy, though, because levels 1-20 are the starter zone, and one really shouldn't be dying there unless you really work at it (such as going AFK outside of a city).

I find you can easily get to level 35+ in "Rift" without dying, aside from the occasional misstep. I was working on leveling a Cleric to cap with zero deaths, but bit it at level 17 by going AFK in a bad location (Killed by random invasion). The first time I actually died due to being overwhelmed by a pull was at level 36. I don't see that as easy, though, because levels 1-20 are the starter zone, and one really shouldn't be dying there unless you really work at it (such as going AFK outside of a city).

I don't really agree with that. If you can 'level' character to cap without dying or with only few deaths then it definately is easy.

I don't agree that you should not die in starter area either. Especially if it is as big as 1-20.While game should get progressively more challanging as you go through it, imho it should be challanging from the start.

I miss games in which I've died 3 times in first 2 hours I played and going from lvl 1 to lvl 20 took weeks.

I don't really agree with that. If you can 'level' character to cap without dying or with only few deaths then it definately is easy.

I don't agree that you should not die in starter area either. Especially if it is as big as 1-20.While game should get progressively more challanging as you go through it, imho it should be challanging from the start.

I miss games in which I've died 3 times in first 2 hours I played and going from lvl 1 to lvl 20 took weeks.

And that simply comes down to "Different Strokes for Different Folks", really.

I do think GW2 would be wise to offer a free trial all the time rather than for occasional weekends. £39.99 is a lot to pay out just to try a game.

As to difficulty, I would say GW2 offers more of a challenge than Rift, Rift can be quite easy, particularly solo questing. GW2 on the other hand I remember dying quite a lot even in the early levels.

So, I went back for my free 14 days of WAR and I have to say it was quite depressing, I'm afraid I can see why it needs to shut down. It was pretty empty and WAR is at it's best when it's busy. Only Tier 1 seemed to have any significant amount of people in it. I do still believe they should have at least tried F2P but if GW pulled the license then I guess that was never an option.

My preference and that of my friends tends tobe on the side of Drul here, we're old school, starting out in UO and moving onto EQ and DAOC then SWG and AOC, Warhammer Online etc and to be honest if we don't die at least once per level after level 10 we think we're doing it wrong lol.

So, I went back for my free 14 days of WAR and I have to say it was quite depressing, I'm afraid I can see why it needs to shut down. It was pretty empty and WAR is at it's best when it's busy. Only Tier 1 seemed to have any significant amount of people in it. I do still believe they should have at least tried F2P but if GW pulled the license then I guess that was never an option.

a week or so ago before the anouncement it was heaving, very busy, they anounced it closing down and now almost nobody is playing... odd that

a week or so ago before the anouncement it was heaving, very busy, they anounced it closing down and now almost nobody is playing... odd that

Fair enough, to be expected, although I also kind of expected an influx of those using free 14 days for nostalgia's sake

Fair enough, to be expected, although I also kind of expected an influx of those using free 14 days for nostalgia's sake

It seems to me that the anoucement has just cause mass depression, which is a shame because we could have used these 14 days to bring a lot of people back for one last fling and maybe make them think twice about the shut down when they see how many people they might have lured back if they'd cared (yeah yeah i know wishful thinking).

Glad you liked it. The one huge advantage of F2P is the low barrier to entry.

And yes, you have at least five viable ways to level: traditional questing, rifts/invasions, Instant Adventures, dungeons, and PvP. Even better, if one of your group outlevels the rest, they can mentor down, help out without totally destroying whatever challenge there is, and still get rewards in the form of token currency appropriate to their level. Never did understand why Turbine failed to implement a mentoring system in LOTRO; it really helps keep a group together.

Hey Androclese, just wanted to ask: Have you played "Rift" in the last week? In Update 2.4, Trion raised the hit points and damage for all mobs except for raid bosses in the pre-Storm Legion zones. They then pared back a little on the change, but they are still tougher than before 2.4 launched last Wednesday. It might be worth giving it a try to see what you think of the change, if you haven't already.

Hey Androclese, just wanted to ask: Have you played "Rift" in the last week? In Update 2.4, Trion raised the hit points and damage for all mobs except for raid bosses in the pre-Storm Legion zones. They then pared back a little on the change, but they are still tougher than before 2.4 launched last Wednesday. It might be worth giving it a try to see what you think of the change, if you haven't already.

Been playing every night, haven't noticed any difference, still speccing pathfinder (support role) and feeling like a super tank lol

I jumped to a PvP server 2 weekends ago because I missed the thrill of encountering the "enemy" while questing, I was level 48 at the time. After repeatedly getting ganked by level 60's with no chance in hell at beating them, I switched back to a PvE server. I'm not opposed to ganking, I won't cry about it, I gank people myself. What I won't do is gank people 10 levels lower than me, that's not PvP, it's masturbation. These are the same children that can't kill shit on their own that is the same level as them. All in all, Rift's a great game, but the PvP is rather meh.

I jumped to a PvP server 2 weekends ago because I missed the thrill of encountering the "enemy" while questing, I was level 48 at the time. After repeatedly getting ganked by level 60's with no chance in hell at beating them, I switched back to a PvE server. I'm not opposed to ganking, I won't cry about it, I gank people myself. What I won't do is gank people 10 levels lower than me, that's not PvP, it's masturbation. These are the same children that can't kill shit on their own that is the same level as them. All in all, Rift's a great game, but the PvP is rather meh.

Yeah i agree with you on that one, i don't mind being killed over and over, but i'd rather it would be because i'm a crap pvp'er than because i'm being steamrollered by higher levels. I'll probably get everyone to move over to a pvp server to get us leveled and geared and then move back for the extra pvp.

One thing that really pissed me off right off the bat was our first random dungeon, we al got in and we're ready to battle our way through only to find that none of us had a chance to do much more than target the mobs as they died because we had joined a random dungeon with a level 60 who was racing through the dungeon, not what we wanted at all :(

Yeah i agree with you on that one, i don't mind being killed over and over, but i'd rather it would be because i'm a crap pvp'er than because i'm being steamrollered by higher levels. I'll probably get everyone to move over to a pvp server to get us leveled and geared and then move back for the extra pvp.

One thing that really pissed me off right off the bat was our first random dungeon, we al got in and we're ready to battle our way through only to find that none of us had a chance to do much more than target the mobs as they died because we had joined a random dungeon with a level 60 who was racing through the dungeon, not what we wanted at all :(

Standard levels mechanic + fast levelling combo is something that is completly broken. Still for some odd reason this is something that is standard in mmorpg's and pseudo-mmo games.

That's why I avoid PvP servers in games. I've rarely found that the supporters of open PvP are anything other than supporters of being able to gank lowbies.

Hm... I wonder if a game could implement open PvP that didn't allow players to attack anyone of a lower level - eliminate the lowbie ganking, and suddenly open PvP seems a bit more appealing (at least to me).

That's why I avoid PvP servers in games. I've rarely found that the supporters of open PvP are anything other than supporters of being able to gank lowbies.

Hm... I wonder if a game could implement open PvP that didn't allow players to attack anyone of a lower level - eliminate the lowbie ganking, and suddenly open PvP seems a bit more appealing (at least to me).

You know, I have thought about this many times. Real open world PvP could exist in a game like GW2 where you are down-leveled. Sure, a higher level would still be slightly stronger, but at least the on-level toon would have a fighting chance.

Or, say a game like LOTRO where you gain renown/infamy. Have a mechanic so you actually earn negative ren/inf at say 10 times the amount you would earn if fighting someone on-level.

Maybe a world wide message that goes out when someone 5 or so levels higher ganks some one. Like "<insert name here> is a wienie!!!" Then people could come to the rescue or just laugh at the guy and call him out.

When I first played Rift, once I had a capped toon I would park it where I was questing on my lowbie. If some high level toon ganked I would switch over and hunt his/her ass down.

In SWTOR I was in a large guild. As soon as someone ganked one of our lowbies we would come out in force and hunt the ganker down.

I do prefer PvP servers on a stealthed class, then at least I can get around without being seen.

You can't stop a-holes from ganking low levels completely. There are some people in the world that like pulling wings off of flies, but you can make it inconvenient/embarrassing.

People that do such things have no capability of being embarrassed. It's the anonymity of the net that allows it in the first place.

I disagree, once you've been "outed" as a cheat, farmer, exploiter, or just a jackass in general, it gets around whatever server you are on and I have seen people ostracized over their actions in game. It's not the same as just a generic post on some forums, servers are, and should be, close knit societies.