LOTROCommunity

SoDT

Reputation on or off  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should reputation be on or off?

• On, negative reputation possible
    • On, positive reputation only
    • Off

Enough with the rep abuse, or your privileges of using the system will be revoked. I've compensated for the reputation, stop it.

Is there a need for the Rep thing?

I only ever see it used as a "weapon" to be honest.

If a post is a good post then people will know it is from the feedback given, and vice versa.

Do we need a "vote rep" function at all?.. Probably a post for another thread.. but hey ho

• Upvote 2

Well, let's find out :) What do you think, should reputation be on or off? And would you care to share why?

I can configure the number of posts someone can vote up or down in a 24 hour period separately or disable negative voting entirely, so it's up to you.

• Upvote 2

It's one of those things, I think, that's a good idea, but on the internet will be mostly abused, rather than otherwise. On the other hand, if it is active, it does sometimes give active & watchful mod's a chance to see who is being disruptive. Either because someone genuinely is collecting a lot of negatives, or because the same one, two, few people are dishing them out. It's like a lot of things - it has its function, but it's not necessarily wise to take it entirely at face value...

I think it's worth leaving it for a while to see how people use / abuse it. If the moderators have tools to monitor it properly, it would certainly be a very good indicator of friend / enemy status; a bellwether to whether people are reacting to posts or to posters. Thorebane / michael has / have been foolish in his / their conduct towards Ferro. If you switch rep off, that's potentially relevant data that will not be available.

Essentially if it becomes onerous to manage, either because someone is being obviously either pimped or dissed, that might be the time to switch it off. Otherwise, I think I'd leave it for now & watch how it is abused / used...

I'm with Raedwulf on this one. If the system is simple to monitor, we don't have to consider it burdensome, since MueR and company seem to be able to track abuse. Leave it open and let the honestly cast chips fall where they may.

I think the rep system's only useful when you know why or why not you should give one rep and that everybody adhere to that rule. Otherwise it's up to the decision of the voter, and they might all do this for completely different reasons, making the reputation quite meaningless since you don't know what that's based off of. Maybe one got negative rep for having a different opinion? One got positive rep beacause he's the brother (or the boss?) or maybe because they're merely in the same clique?

I don't know, I thought the rep system was interesting at first, until I realize I wouldn't have a clue when to give rep and when not and even why. If people like to have feedback, then others could give those in the form of posts which is a lot more meaningful and constructive than a simple plus or minus.

And as for admins being able to track bad (or good) behaviour, I'm sure they've got other tools than reputation at their disposal.

Generally, having more Gadgets available is a good thing (as long as the page doesn't get overloaded.)

It all boils down to the admin staff being able and willing to put in the extra effort watching the system and preventing abuse. If you can't police it, then it must be disabled.

Hmm, I'm still to be convinced tbh.

If the moderators have the power to "moderate" the use of the tool, then surely it becomes a tool for the moderators only... not meaning to imply that the moderators on these forums are biased, but in general, as a tool on forums, if moderators can adjust the use of the tool then it becomes a thing susceptible to the censorship of, and within the control of, the moderators only. And it is partially due to reports of such behaviour on the Turbine Forums that these forums were established.

I would much rather see some written response agreeing with, or disagreeing with, the post in question rather than a blind vote that can lead to "e-peen" and the establishment of a "pecking order" within the community.

EDIT:

I think Trinsec hit on a number of good points above, especially the lack of clarity regarding exactly what a +ve or -ve vote actually means. Surely a vote only means something if the person voting takes the time to explain, in a response, as to why they voted as they did, and then, if they have so explained their agreement / disagreement, why the need for the vote at all?

I think if used in a system like that on the US lotro forums(soon to be ours too), than I think NO is the answer.

It creates too much of a politics thing whereby some posters might get negative feedback if they're overly critical, no matter how well-structured and constructive it is.

I voted for positive rep only, but really, I could take it or leave it truth be known.

I think that by allowing only positive rep, you do away with the "rep wars" that are a legitimate concern. We've seen a bit of that already. Only allowing positive rep might still cause members with lots of friends to gain a significant boost, but it is reputation after all, and having lots of friends might legitimately be considered to be a part of that.

It would be nice, though, if it were possible to easily discover which posts are bringing you rep. As it stands now, the lack of easily acquired feedback on which posts the community seems to like makes it difficult to judge the the value of rep other than it's Epeen value.

I don't personally have a problem with rep being used in a strictly Epeen sense (we are all MMORPG players, after all :P ), but it would still be nice to easily be able to find out where it is coming from. There is an option to list posts based on rep in our user profile, but the option jumps from 0 to 10 rep points per post, so not very useful at the moment.

I voted it should be off.

I already saw an example of abuse of this system in the "good bye event" thread where someone just stated his negative opinion about the idea and ofcourse (unfortunately exactly as it is happening on CM boards) he recieved many "minus rep" just because he had a different opinion. Nobody tries to go in discussion there, "he does not like our idea, let's punish him with negative rep" logic seems to be applied there.

On CM boards every person who disagreed or had a negative opinions about the game, CM or Turbine was called at least a troll. I hope it will not be happening here or else it will be just another place where CM can read praising comments about themselves.

I would give it some time. If (when!) this forum starts gathering more people posting, rep might become a bigger problem. But so far all I've seen is a few insolated (one?) and later solved incidents of rep abuse. Positive rep only would be one way to make reputation what I think it should be: a thumbs up for a good post, "hey check this out, there's some good s* here guys."

Positive rep only would be one way to make reputation what I think it should be: a thumbs up for a good post, "hey check this out, there's some good s* here guys."

I think that's only useful if there's actually an easy link to see the most-repped posts at a glance, and even then it could become a unhealthy competition. People who are known more among others will gain rep on their posts far easier than unknown people. It might put off newcomers from posting useful stuff if they feel they need to make a name for themselves first.

Now you can only easily see which rep people have, not necessarily which posts are so brilliant that everybody have to check them at least once in a lifetime.

I already saw an example of abuse of this system in the "good bye event" thread where someone just stated his negative opinion about the idea and ofcourse (unfortunately exactly as it is happening on CM boards) he recieved many "minus rep" just because he had a different opinion.

I disagree for two reasons. First, the thread in question was an invitation to an event, not a discussion. It simply did not require a negative intervention - if you're not interested in the event, whatever the reason, just ignore it. An opinion can be disagreed with, sure; a discussion you should be able to freely enter. But why post in an event invitation just to say it's all rubbish? What's the point of that?

Second, the guy wasn't simply negative. He was rude to the point of being offensive. I'm one of those that gave him negative rep, and in my reply to him I said

I don't love Codemasters, I'm not on Gilrain, and the event wouldn't interest me if I were. But I can leave other people to enjoy the game the way they want to.

What need was there for him to do other than I did? His behaviour was not right, and I do not think the down rating that he got was simply because he was negative.

And even then if he was rude, how many minuses is he supposed to get? 10? 100? Everybody has to vote minus? Only one? You're better off calling a moderator if he's out of bounds. If everybody in the thread is supposed to minus him (Hey, it's become a verb!), and if he does a great post next time elsewhere, can he ever redeem himself? That's why I find the reputation meaningless, it doesn't really say much about the person himself, just about how many friends he's got.

I'm afraid I voted no. If you could trust people to respect the rules and each other, it wouldn't be a problem but I can't help but wonder if as mods you're making a rod for your own backs with a rep system. The interwebs is the interwebs and if something can be abused, it will :(

Edit: wow, that's not so much a sad smiley as a downright terrifying one!

What need was there for him to do other than I did? His behaviour was not right, and I do not think the down rating that he got was simply because he was negative.

Not sure.

For me he just came in and said he does not like the idea for whatever reason. I also didnt find his post rude but "rude" is subjective and some people will take typical british humor as something rude while others will not care and some would laugh.

My point is that this was but a taste of something i hope will not be happening here as it was happening on CM forums - that everyone with different, often negative opinion about the game will be called troll and other "names".

Trin, I don't disagree that it can go that way, yes. As I've already said, I think it's worth leaving in place for a while to see how it's used. If it's widely abused, it will be switched off. If it's not, it could add to the board. In the meanwhile it offers us something slightly different. Moderators don't want to be called on to intervene. They're like referees in football. They'll blow the whistle if they have to for fouls, but they'd rather not have to. I know; I've been one often enough! Errr... Mod, I mean, not referee! {shudders}

I'll say it again, in case some have missed it, MueR & I are friends. I'm his Kin leader, we lead our raid alliance. We also fall out from time to time, as friends sometimes do. If one of us deserves minus rep, or plus, the other'll give it without fear or favour. He wants to offer a place for the Euro Community to keep together. Why? I think because he regards it as something worth keeping together. We've been together a long time now. Some of us were older to start with; many have grown older, and in that time have, perhaps, grown up somewhat too. Reputation, in a mature community, is a mark of the respect you are held in. It is in our nature to make judgements. The only question is on what basis you do so. On the internet? Post count? Stars? Community awards/titles, as CM did? Reputation could be as good a way as any. I've given a few + / -. It makes no difference to whether I'll give that same recipient one or the other in the future. I judge the post; not the individual.

If you ignore the +100 that every mod / admin gets automatically, I think I'm leading the pack at the moment (so no bias on my part then! ;)). I haven't got my rep because I've got lots of friends bigging me up. I've got that because people I don't know have read a post & thought it worth a thumb's up. That's what the Rep system is for, that's how it is intended to be used. Until we find it's being abused because someone has an e-peen problem or a grudge, I think it's something worth having.

For me he just came in and said he does not like the idea for whatever reason. I also didnt find his post rude but "rude" is subjective and some people will take typical british humor as something rude while others will not care and some would laugh.

He did, but he was very abrasive in what he said. You could say "I don't think much of the idea". The terms he was using were things like "time wasting", "dumbest", "<puke>". It's not friendly is it? It's certainly not covered by British humour. Trust me - I am one! ;)

He did, but he was very abrasive in what he said. You could say "I don't think much of the idea". The terms he was using were things like "time wasting", "dumbest", "<puke>". It's not friendly is it? It's certainly not covered by British humour. Trust me - I am one! ;)

The term "time wasting" is just his opinion on the matter, which people do not have to agree with. I agree that "pukes" wasn't something wise to write.

What i don't like the most in his postings is total lack of some grammar rules like starting every line with small letters etc. It just hurts my eyes more than the content of his posts :)

It's not just his opinion though, Ang, that's my point. He could have said the same thing differently - "Is it really worthwhile" is much gentler. The whole tone of his post, not just one particular word or phrase, is hostile and aggressive. That, I think, is why he got the negative rep. People simply did not like his manner. I think that is fair use of the rep system (which, lest I forget, is what we're actually discussing!).

As to the latter, I don't like having to read txt or, more especially, l33t, but I'll not criticise someone for that. It's never wise to criticise someone's speeling (sic) on the internet - how do you know you're not dealing with a dyslexic? If that's out, you'll just have to accept dodgy grammar, et al. Such is the world these days...