LOTROCommunity

Any MERP Veterans Here?

I'm just curious to know how many on this board have played the Middle-earth Role-playing game (a.k.a MERP, MERS, KERP, etc.). In many ways, if it wasn't for that pen-and paper game, we may not have seen LOTRO.

I've played it once or twice. I've hoarded quite a few sourcebooks through the years and was gutted when they stopped making the books!! Mostly got 2nd Edition book.

I see them on eBay all the time, if I was richer I would be buying the super rares I don't have!

As I've stated previously, I would've loved it if Turbine had licensed the use of the MERP maps, as I feel those would've been very good for LOTRO.

I tried to hint that Turbine should have taken advantage of existing MERP material, but the most they did was use a North-western Middle-earth map in a cinematic. Such a waste.

Never played much MERP as I spent most of my time in the late 80's engaged in a mammoth AD&D campaign which lasted the best part of 4 years. bloos.gif The first time I encountered MERP wasn't until a 48 hour roleplaying session for the first red nose day back in 1988. The roleplaying is a all a blur but I remember the coffee. Lots of coffee...

I seem to recall playing Paranoia during this event too but I don't talk about that :x

Sorry I missed that. It was D&D and AD&D for me. I'll never forget the night my thief rolled three 12-crits in a row using two D6's to survive. Thought I was doomed. Could barely see the dice through the pipeweed smoke. d;)b

I know of MERP, rather than having played it. I think my brother had the rulebooks. I dabbled with it solo, rather than having the opportunity to play it properly. It looked quite an interesting system to an indoctrinated AD&Der...

Played some other GURPS stuff but not that one d;)b. I enjoyed Car Wars by Steve Jackson Games and also Illuminati. The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson is one of my favorite series of novels.

OMG.. you got me thinking... anyone else admit to playing this, let alone buying it like I did? :$ :$

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunnies_%26_Burrows

OMG back at ya. I never even heard of this game. Don't know why you're embarrassed, though.

Gameplay

The original game was very innovative for its time (less than two years after the first published RPG). Not only could you play non-humanoids for the first time, but it was the first role-playing game to have detailed martial arts rules, the first attempt at a skill system, and the first RPG to appeal as widely to women as to men[2]

Bunnies & Burrows was the first role-playing game to allow for non-humanoid play.[2][17] In addition, it was also the first role-playing game to have detailed martial arts rules (known as "Bun Fu")[12] and the first attempt at a skill system.[2] For its time, the game was considered "light years" ahead of the Original Dungeons & Dragons.[4]

Players of Bunnies & Burrows take the role of rabbits as their player characters. Interaction with many different animal species is part of normal gameplay. Humans, whose thought processes and motivations are completely alien, are the only monster to be encountered.[18]

Bunnies & Burrows has the advantage of offering players an intuitive grasp of relative dangers and appropriate actions not possible in game worlds that are substantially fictional. For example, a player is told their character is confronted with a fox. There is an immediate intuition on the amount of peril a rabbit is facing. Although player characters are substantially weaker than many of the dangers they face, the game is one of the first to encourage problem solving and outwitting obstacles, rather than out-fighting them.[18]

The mechanics of the role-playing game system were created specifically for Bunnies & Burrows, common at the time of its original publishing. It features eight abilities and eight classes. The task resolution system is based on rolls of percentile dice.[18] Although newer systems have updated game mechanics significantly, the ideas presented in Bunnies & Burrows created the framework for modern role-playing games.[9]

Due to its unique setting, the game remains popular in the furry community and is frequently played at furry conventions.

Oh. :$ :$

The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson is one of my favorite series of novels.

d;)b

I still own a copy of MERP rulebook and a few extra books. Sadly I lost my Game Master screen (blame it on Sauron). We also played Middle-Earth setting using Role Master rules, which were essentially the same rules as in MERP, only much more advanced. The game was more about math than math books, but since we stopped bothering about min/maxing and following every rule to the point, it was not a bad experience.

GURPS, old boxed D&D, all editions of AD&D, current D&D 3, 3.5 and 4th editions, countless other Pen & Paper roleplaying games. And we're still (trying to) playing once a week, oldest of us being not quite 40 now.

What these "old school" games were about was missed at the time. Satanism and/or satan worship were mentioned. To us it was nothing more than a fancy board game. Once we stopped following the rules too strictly and focusing on combat alone, we had some damn good times. Good enough to write a few fantasy novels. Well maybe not, but definitely some good laughs at (mis)adventures of our characters.

The phobia of spiders got the grip of more than a few of us, because for some reason our characters died in the icky feet (paws? mandibles?) of these arachnid freaks.

I used to play Merp with some school friends back in the mid 80s. We were big pen & paper rpg fans - AD&D, Rolemaster, Runequest, Call of Cuthulu and any strategy board game we could lay our hands on. I've still got a few MERP modules in a cupboard somewhere.

I started playing PnP in the late seventies, so you can add chivalry & Sorcery (if you think the crit tables in MERP were good, check out the 1st ED C&S ones _O- ), Toon, Bushido, Traveller (physics degree needed to work out space travel and the chance your newly created character would die before you even started playing!), Palladium and probably just about any other game you could think of. A lot of names escape me, but then I am on the wrong side of forty now :P

chivalry & Sorcery ........., Bushido,

OOo yes, loved these two.

Pity Bushido never developed further, was a great setting.

C&S.. fantastic concept but ..... how long did it take to resolve a single combat :?

I MERP'd, (sounds rude now), WAY back in 1983/4 I think it was, cant truly remember now, done a variety of Tabletop systems over the years ending with a system written and bespoked by my mates TT group :) We even had a warp calculator on a Psion Palm top for space travel ;)

Ahh the happy memories or Suicidal insane plans... Thats how I got the Tag Weird ;)

Hehe!

I hurl a Lightening bolt at the Wraith rising from the crypt!

Rolls 147 for a 22E against Rigid Leather

Gets 120 with +20 for an 'E' Critical > 'Charge disrupts cell structure . Entire body turned to dust..'

Yes Result! One powdered Wraith!

Nope never heard of 'MERPS'! ;)

Before joining lotro I played merp for about 9years, when our characters outgrew the ice merp system we switched to rulemaster.

I still have all the module books for ice's merp and rulemaster on disc somewhere in pdf format

OOo yes, loved these two.

Pity Bushido never developed further, was a great setting.

C&S.. fantastic concept but ..... how long did it take to resolve a single combat :?

Sengoku kind of took over from Bushido. Though we do still play Bushido a lot :*)

Hehe!

Tried C&S once it looked good, but it took a nearly a weekends worth of free time to roll the character! :?

Bit sidetrack but I remember one (Role Master) critical fumble description on movement & maneuver: "Your fall turns into a dive, you crush your skull and die." Poetic ending to my burg-... backst-... scout.

Those critical results (hits and fumbles) were hilarious to read. _O-

weapon fumble table for two handed arms

"Worst move seen in ages!

You are out for 2 days with

a groin injury. There is a

50% chance your foes will

be out for 3 rounds,

laughing."

The fumble tables for rolemaster are very funny to read