LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Woeg

And tips for a new Rift player ?

After all I have read on the upcoming Lotro changes with HD - I am thinking its time to expand my wings somewhat and give Rift a try.

Any tips when making the transition ? I have a few characters in their mid teens now and seem to enjoy it - although my "Destroyer" is a little squishier than I thought he would be. (I'm using the preset soul tree)

Also - if I sub - do I get a supply of the rift coins each month (like tp for a vip sub in lotro) or are those separate ?

Thanks !

(p.s. my play style is casual, non-pvp I do like the nature of the server pop having at the rifts as they appear)

As for the Rift Credits, no, Patrons (subscribers) do not get a stipend of them each month. But you do get a lot of nifty little bonuses you can use, all detailed in the F2P FAQ.

What it comes down to though is this: Are you willing to pay a subscription for a little convenience, and nothing else? Literally, being a Free player gives you access to everything a Patron does (sans the Patron bonuses listed in the FAQ), so it comes down simply to taste. I'm on a pre-paid annual sub, so I have until March before I really have to answer that question myself, but I expect I'll stay a Patron then, as I got in on a $99/year deal (roughly $8.99/month equivalent), and I think it is worth that.

Tips:

1. Find the class guides on the forum and find a good build. I play a very nice Rogue build with riftstalker teleporting and healing but designed for leveling and DPS. Find some good builds - presets can be ok or meh.

2. Group using the dungeon finder to get some good gear.

3. Try things out - do whatever is fun for you in the game. I went from PVE leveling to PVP to grouping to changing my class etc. There is a lot of things to do in the game.

4. Ask for help in chat. If no one answers, ask again. I have always gotten a nice player to help me find things or for advice this way.

Experiment with class builds.

Currently I'm playing a Mage, a class I rarely play. I did the preset Spellblade and fell in love with the Harbinger class, what's not to like about a melee Mage? It fulfills my desire to play unique classes, like Wardens in LOTRO and Tankasins in SWTOR. It's a bit squishy. it lacks heals, but the DPS is decent. I also have a Harb/Choro build which isn't a DPS machine, but you can take on several mobs at once and basically heal tank. I just got finished with a Harb/Pyro/Archon build. Pyro and Harb don't mesh as well as I thought they might, but the DPS is great and the survivability is much better than Spellblade while still having minimal heals.

Do instant adventures in new areas. You can pick up Rampages while you are doing the Instant Adventures and open up your map at the same time.

Nice, what shard? Cleric tank here, Seraphic Guard build for now.

If you prefer casual, as pointed out above there will be a ton of things for you to do. I really recommend taking your time in each zone and not rushing through - disclosure: huge completionist tendencies here, so ymmv. Do the cairns and puzzles in each zone as well, particularly if you are going to be casual. They will generally give you teal or purple armour or weapon drops that are far better than the greens you will get questing.

At higher levels you will also start to get access to Chronicles, which provide you access (very soloable) to some of the raid content you would never otherwise see as a non-raider. The rewards are not the great, but it is just worth it to see the content if you have not yet.

An infinite number of achievements, plus an infinite number of artifacts to collect, faction rep to gain - plenty to keep you occupied for a LOOOOONG time. And omg the Dimension system is awesome if you haven't messed with it yet.

Do what you can at higher levels to rake in the Empyreal Sourcestone (which just kind of falls from the sky anyway), as you can barter for nice pieces of armour and equipment at Tempest Bay starting at level 50, and which you will be able to improve on route to 60. Again, as a non-raider this will be some of the nicest stuff you will be able to get fairly easily, barring some crafted and lacking some faction rep.

As mentioned above you really don't have to be a paying member, and if you play casual/solo the subscriber benefits are probably not going to be that useful to you. It is really quite amazing what you can do on a true F2P account - tho I myself caved early and bought bags, and ended up purchasing a boxed Storm Legion to get 6 character slots and the SL souls.

Enjoy!

Oh for sure do the puzzles and cairns, but do them at the correct level. Drops will be what ever level you are at, so doing lvl 30 puzzles at 20 is kind of a waste.

http://riftmead.com/...el-60-guide-pve

Any puzzles or cairns in SL?

I have a new found love of Rift. I took my 50's into SL as soon as Rift went F2P and I got a bit frustrated. My top of the line PvP gear from a few years ago was half as good as quest armor in SL and the mobs all have inflated morale's, so I just rolled the new Mage. Now that my Mage is 52 and has the quest armor I feel much more confident and I'm sure I'll be rolling out the Warrior and Rouge soon.

Don't waste time in Ember Isle. Once you hit 50 the xp you get in the old content is really low. Quest in the old zones net you like 5k xp while SL quests are 20k. I just quested in Ember Isles until I got my gathering skills high enough for SL.

Oh for sure do the puzzles and cairns, but do them at the correct level. Drops will be what ever level you are at, so doing lvl 30 puzzles at 20 is kind of a waste.

http://riftmead.com/...el-60-guide-pve

Any puzzles or cairns in SL?

Good point about doing them at level. That's an awesome guide, too, have used it myself several times. Yes there are cairns and puzzles in SL, but the puzzles are a bit of a different system and I haven't quite figured them out yet. In Pelladane you have to collect some cosmic sheep poop or something to that effect (what is it with devs and their poop) by herding 10 sheep/day for several days, and use that to barter for something somewhere that you will need before you are even able to access the puzzle. The cairns no longer seem to drop the armour/items, but so far have dropped some neat pets.

Don't forget your free daily artifact! If you go to the store on the homepage in the top right corner is a daily free gift to claim, it's only an artifact but every little helps :)

Don't forget your free daily artifact! If you go to the store on the homepage in the top right corner is a daily free gift to claim, it's only an artifact but every little helps :)

Actually, if you look at the chat box when you open the Daily Gift, you usually get some of the various currencies, as appropriate to your level. That may only be a Patron thing, I don't know, but I always get something extra.

Best yet, no damn slot-machine mechanic!

Actually, if you look at the chat box when you open the Daily Gift, you usually get some of the various currencies, as appropriate to your level. That may only be a Patron thing, I don't know, but I always get something extra.

I think that's patron, i haven't seena nything but artifacts, but artifacts give you luck coins, which is useful :)

Not sure if Patron, or former Patron as I sometimes get some currencies, normally once a week, but I am not a patron any more

Thanks for all the tips folks ! They are all helpful :-) I do tend to be a completionist (unfortunately) so I rarely try to rush to level cap .

I created my characters on Threesprings shard and used the guild finder to find a "mature" guild - it seems to be very busy at the higher levels.

I do find the patron benefits useful - and I did want to throw a little money at the game to support it (My idea of f2p (for me at least) is to check it out to see if you like it - then throw money that way when time/budget permit

Keep the info coming - I haven't check out the official forums yet (given the lotro forums - I was kind of afraid to .... )

The in game store can be used to sell your junk items so no need to worry about bags getting full when questing. Also many items that the vendors sell can be found in the store and bought with in game currencies that you would normally pay, so no need to go hunting for the vendor you need

The in game store can be used to sell your junk items so no need to worry about bags getting full when questing. Also many items that the vendors sell can be found in the store and bought with in game currencies that you would normally pay, so no need to go hunting for the vendor you need

That is helpful ! I wish I knew that last weekend when I was playing - I kept running back to vendors (I tend to be ocd about inventory management)

I'm not really seeing how you sell items via the store.

EDIT: Now I do :P

You have to click on on of the menu items to the side to open up a shop page, then you can right click your items in your pack :D

My tip, don't worry too much about what souls you pick for solo play, just pick ones that you find fun and interesting and put the points where you think you will get the most use. It's only really in dungeon's, end game rifts and pvp that you will need to consider optimising your build more.

If you like doing dungeons at a slower pace then try to form your own group, there is a huge tendancy for peopel to charge through dungeons, especially the lower level ones as it seems they can be pretty much dps'd at speed.

When playing the part of Tank in a dungeon just look after yourself, if you afre constantly trying to pull aggro back from the healer or dps you will be running round like a headless chicken, nobody waits for you to secure the aggro, everybody just starts blatting away as soon as you pull, just do your best to keep as much aggro on you without running around after the dps/heaer aggro. Oh and if you get an idiot who fires off huge dps and then starts running around the dungeon in circles pulling more aggro like one did in the dungeons i was doing most of last night just ignore them and let them die :P

Hehe - being the headless chicken and watching the goofy aggro pulls are indeed a bit overwhelming after working with organized groups in Lotro :)

I have several characters in Rift now, all ranging 25-30 so very low still, but I am really having a blast - literally, in some cases like on my Pryro-maniac mage, lol. :)

Recently, I finally discovered however that my Cleric Druid is super fun to play. I kept trying to find a build that approaches some of my old Cappy skills and at first everything felt either too slow or too squishy, but I settled in on an Inquisitor/Druid/Sentinal trio and so far am finding it very versatile, good dmg, great survivability. I have another that I swap out using Shaman/Druid/Sentinel which I like as well.

The cool thing about these trio of souls on all the classes is that you really can end up with some awesome combos for different situations, something I really appreciate. Hopefully at higher levels the min/max tips I have been reading in the guides will come in handy.

Main things I like: soul builds, variety of things to do,rifts, dungeons, crafting progression, planar items, artifact snooping, interesting dialogues with some of the quests, fishing! and yay, very cool looking armors (hey, I am a girl so fashion/fun looks matter B) )

Thing I do not like: the regional chat channel 1-29 - I turned it off after the last 40 minute rant/debate on Obamacare 7(8)7

I tried Rift...again. Still can't seem to get into it.

And now that it's gone F2P, it seems all of the WoW kiddies have joined it. The chat channels make GLFF look like intelligent conversations.

Thing I do not like: the regional chat channel 1-29 - I turned it off after the last 40 minute rant/debate on Obamacare 7(8)7

I turn off all level chat channels except for 60.

I tried Rift...again. Still can't seem to get into it.

And now that it's gone F2P, it seems all of the WoW kiddies have joined it. The chat channels make GLFF look like intelligent conversations.

Yeah I never had to worry about low level chat - it was always empty - before F2P. I guess things have changed a lot.

Sorry you couldn't get into it. Just curious, what do you like to do in an MMO? I wonder what other people like to do when they go to a new MMO. I almost never play at CAP - but mainly because I have not played enough or don't have a cap level character. For me it is: exploring, leveling, running PUG dungeons, and doing low level PvP. I guess I am most used to playing at lower levels.

Also, in Rift, PUGs used to be quite nice. Rarely had trouble with any players - but it could have changed now.

I too am sorry to hear it just didn't click. Same thing happened to me first time I tried it, then going back again a few months later, loved it. No idea what made the difference.

The only channel I keep open is World Events or whatever it is called to see if some event I need is mentioned. I also recommend those not interested in pvp consider doing a pvp rift if you see an announcement for one being opened. Those can be quite fun even if you never otherwise set foot in pvp areas or run flagged.

And the misc special events outside of festivals have been awesome. I think they do a fantastic job of giving many reasons for level caps to revisit old zones, not to mention the mentoring capability. Lotro just really has it sadly backwards for HD.

I agree Mtones, the Cleric options do give some similarity to Cappy in some ways and I like that.

If anyone is on Faeblight feel free to say hi. I'm Mcfarlane here, Mcfarlane there, Mcfarlane everywhere.

Addendum : this latest home city Zerg-fest was completely insane. And fun. But insane. Hope they get it fixed so it comes back soon. I have two more bosses to kill and it will make me crazy until I finish the achievement.