LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Spidey

The Rift Thread

Since there's been so much Rift talk lately it reserves it's own thread.

Dulfy needs to play Rift, there's a real dearth of info on anything new in Rift.

WTF is Mayhem: The Heartland? I finished at least 4 world events in Silverwood and Freemarch and didn't get squat.

Good thread. The Mayhem event runs for a week, starting with zone events in Silverwood and Freemarch. There is a quest to pick up - well, if Guardian - in Sanctum sort of new the healer person, which asks you to close 35 rifts. But then you just wait for zone events in each area, which are pretty much constant. You do the regular zone event but have chances of getting rare things like the (green or red?) Ki Rin mount, the purple spider mount, cosmetic cloaks, I can't remember what all. There are a ton of achievements. Also drops to throw - pies at other players, gifts at friendly NPC's, and clods of dirt at rift creatures, for achievements. Then every two days it will move to a different pair of zones, like Gloamwood and I think Stonefield starting 10/6. It is nice in that is helps clear out zone/plane achievements as well. But yeah, NOT really clear and not one good spot to explain everything.

The official page about MiM is here: http://community.riftgame.com/en/2013/10/04/mayhem-in-mathosia-has-begun/. It doesn't explain much about getting started on the event or quests involved, but does detail the nice list of rewards one can get for joining in.

In case anyone missed it, autumn festival starts on the 17th. I don't have links handy as I'm on my phone but there is a preview site out there. Puppets! Normally that would creep me out but I must have the Hylas and Atrophinius puppets!

Along with the Autumn Festival starting on the 17th, we get a new dimension. The Gloamwood cottage. Complete with little cave underneath and part of the nearby pond. I can't freaking wait.

The page also shows what it looks like if you have the different sky projectors equipped; Fire, Death, and Earth look pretty good. Skip about a minute in to pass by all the hearts and full moon junk.

Just out of curiousity, what are the ingame costs of these housing areas? Are they affordable for casual players?

Yes definitely. You get your first dimension key for free, but it is a dinky little space that I almost wish they didn't use for the first introduction, as it even discouraged me from exploring initially until I realized what options were out there further on. You get a second key later on (can't remember what level or what triggers it) to a medium sized dimension that is a bit roomier.

But the other ones available can ranged from 10 to hundreds of platinum. Amazingly a number of very decent sized dimensions are available for 40 platinum, including this new Gloamwood one coming out.

The problem for the casual player then becomes more of an issue of finding decorations. There's no shortage of cheap stuff available on the basic dimension vendor, and the AH prices can be pretty friendly as well. You can also fish items up from time to time. (More becomes available once you hit Dusken/Brevane 50+). But if you have a lower level toon and don't play much/therefore don't have a lot of platinum, that could somewhat limit what you are able to do. And providing you don't get addicted, as I did. Sure I want to run expert dungeons and eventually raid, but my kin know I'm really in it for the dimensions (I owned 5 kin houses and 4 deluxe houses in LOTRO lol - I'm a sucker for housing).

For any interested try this site, and hover over the "Dimensions" link. You can find walkthrough videos of the various sized dimensions. Many mediums will cost 40 platinum I believe.

I haven't a clue how much money that is.. I don't remember how much I ended up having on my lvl 40ish toon ages ago. :P Are keys not retroactive? Not sure I saw anything about dimensions pop up when I logged on last.

I haven't a clue how much money that is.. I don't remember how much I ended up having on my lvl 40ish toon ages ago. :P Are keys not retroactive? Not sure I saw anything about dimensions pop up when I logged on last.

Did you happen to play before the Storm Legion release last November? I think that is when dimensions were introduced. If you have not logged on since then I assume you would get your dimension keys or at least the quest to go get the first one but honestly not sure. If you were in the 40's I suspect you would have earned at least a few hundred platinum by that point unless you spent a lot on AH or leveling crafting. Right now at end game you can earn 10 plat in just a few solid hours of average play.

Yeah started playing Rift about 3 months after it was released then only played for 3-4 months. I logged on when they had a free week for people who bought the expansion or something. That was about a month before it went f2p. And from what you say it seems the housing isn't too expensive. Seems nice. :) Housing is something I miss in GW2.

OMG!!!! Gloamwood is my favorite zone, I must have this, and I don't even like housing!

Loth, I rolled a new Mage on a free account just for play time to get a free SL xpac. I'm level 56 and have well over 500 plat, so 40-100 plat isn't all that much. Especially when keys and lockboxes can drop which can be placed on the AH, 10-20 plat for keys, 100-400 plat for lockboxes.

OMG!!!! Gloamwood is my favorite zone, I must have this, and I don't even like housing!

this is a little more than just housing, you have an area of land and you can get all sorts of building materials, furniture and landscape items and build whatever you like, it's more like minecraft with good graphics than just a housing system.

this is a little more than just housing, you have an area of land and you can get all sorts of building materials, furniture and landscape items and build whatever you like, it's more like minecraft with good graphics than just a housing system.

Lol yes - in my cleric's dimension she's got lilys and other weeds growing inside her house. The amount of freedom to place what you want and where really shows the age of lotros housing system.

Lol yes - in my cleric's dimension she's got lilys and other weeds growing inside her house. The amount of freedom to place what you want and where really shows the age of lotros housing system.

It's not so much age of the LOTRO system, more the lack of imagination and probably a huge effort to keep it simple. Four years before LOTRO was released Starwars Galaxies was released with what i have always viewed as the best housing system ever implemented, it was a system where any item in the game world, from junk loot entrails to high end armour could be dropped on the floor of the house and manipulated up, down, left, right, backwards and forwards, as well as rotated horizontally and vertically in full 360 degrees. It was simply put.. amazing.

It's not so much age of the LOTRO system, more the lack of imagination and probably a huge effort to keep it simple. Four years before LOTRO was released Starwars Galaxies was released with what i have always viewed as the best housing system ever implemented, it was a system where any item in the game world, from junk loot entrails to high end armour could be dropped on the floor of the house and manipulated up, down, left, right, backwards and forwards, as well as rotated horizontally and vertically in full 360 degrees. It was simply put.. amazing.

Yep.

Not to mention that first (argueably) MMORPG ever - Ultima Online released in 1997 had more freedom, complex and rich housing system than 99% of MMORPGs up till now. Only SWG and very few others had something richer or better in some fields.

Most MMORPGs including Lotro - had lousy housing system or have none at all - because of game design and focus. Not because of what year it was released or because of technical possibilities. Lotro housing is like it is because it is afterthought, system that is very low at 'importance list' of game systems (just like PvP and to bit lesser extent crafting) that is made so it can be said that there is some kind of housing on check list and so fans demanding housing get off company back.

Major shard mergers happening soon.

Wednesday October 23rd (North America)

Thursday October 24th (Europe)

North America

Necropolis users will be migrated to Seastone.

Shatterbone users will be migrated to Wolfsbane.

Threesprings users will be migrated to Deepwood.

Europe

Volan users will be migrated to Bloodiron

Blightweald users will be migrated to Gelidra

Argent users will be migrated to Zaviel

Nomi users will be migrated to Brisesol

This is quite the scandal on the forums, largely relating to the fact Argent is the only EU RP shard, and Trion will not be RP flagging Zaviel after they migrate Argent there. Second to this is the usual issue of people losing names (the practice will be the person on the "merged to" shard keeps their name, the ones being migrated must change if duplicates).

The name part I sympathize with, and I think Trion could have been proactive given that they have done mergers before and this exists in so many other games, no one should be surprised about it - players or devs. I know I'd hate to lose McFarlane, but it is also why I have a McFarlane on every Rift shard and many LOTRO worlds.

The bigger issue, however, is why Trion refuses to flag Zaviel as RP once the migration happens, as this means EU players will no longer have a EU RP shard. Zaviel is PvE, I'm not sure what the big fuss would be about making it a RP-PvE shard and how that would significantly impact those already there. They have blatantly stated yesterday they will not flag it RP, but no rationale. I find that curious.

Main player feedback thread is here.

One Dev response with additional feedback here.

CM Dahaese response with...not much additional feedback...here.

Interesting times. I'm on Faeblight. We'll see if we have RP'ers defecting to our shard, or any who were previously here before going to the other shards coming back.

I know about Dimensions. It's just that spending hours decorating a virtual space like so many paper dolls strikes me, personally, as a gargantuan waste of time, but I do love that Gloamwood dimension....

RP shards have different naming rules, so they don't want to start enforcing those rules on a standard PvE shard where a lot of people chose to go specifically, just because an RP shard is getting merged with it. That would be unfair to the players already on the PvE shard. As Trion takes smaller shards and merges them into larger shards, the PvE shard likely has more players than the RP shard, thus why the combined shard will stay PvE. Majority rules, so to speak.

I know about Dimensions. It's just that spending hours decorating a virtual space like so many paper dolls strikes me, personally, as a gargantuan waste of time, but I do love that Gloamwood dimension....

Well that's the thing now, isn't it? What part of any game would you like to waste a "gargantuan" amount of time on? hehe.

I recently discovered the dimension system and Kiwi's blog, and have been so wrapped up in building mine lately that I have discovered I can have a massive amount of fun without even leveling - something I never expected since I never had too much interest in such things as housing before, since Lotro's sucks and GW2 has none. Finding out what I can create and new ways to show off my shiney stuff thus far aquired is really, really cool.

And BTW: TOOOOOOOLBOX!!! omg, it's awesome, hehe

Speaking of Gloamwood, I love that area too - so much so that I have used many materials in my current dimension to give it that feel, so am pretty psyched about the new dimension - though I am not sure how I will feel about it being "home" were I to get it... I am still recovering from the attempted slaughter-fest I went through in that same spot before I had actually discovered I could AoE the hell outta everything :P

If you want the Autumn-Fest themed dimension items to decorate with, those are pretty easy to get as well. Grind the Fungus quest and rack of a few hundred in no time.

So, a few screenshots of what I've done so far. This is the best dimension ever.

2013-10-18_231052_zps4d1929ce.jpg

2013-10-18_231111_zpsd24b48e2.jpg

My torture dungeon:

2013-10-18_231201_zps9578031b.jpg

2013-10-18_231213_zps0c8b0985.jpg

You got maces, cleavers, swords, knives, axes, hammers and tongs, scythes....

2013-10-17_231138_zps5b10a351.jpg

Very cool use of the space. I will have to post some screenies of the current dimension I am working on - I am trying to recreate my Santorini experience on Shoreward Island, so far it is working very well... as soon as I can get into the game again (they are patching now...) I will get some shots :)

Ok.. adding here some screenies from current work in progress... who needs to pay airfare when you can do this? lol...

Hellas_zps23d1713c.jpg

Veranda1_zps12462c04.jpg

bell1_zps4735b325.jpg

Light1_zps6b65693b.jpg

light4_zpsb6254762.jpg

Veranda3_zps444ba6bb.jpg

light2_zpscf7f4378.jpg

Stairwell1_zpsedc03066.jpg

lounge2_zpsc2b17f5c.jpg

light3_zps804e875d.jpg

Oh... excuse the cat... they do tend to pop up on the islands all the time at the worst moments... like when you are trying to get a good angle on a photo...

Molly1_zps8b1aa7f9.jpg

yeah... always on the darned furniture too :P

Molly2_zpse10d32d6.jpg

The life of a lazy kitty in Greece... ;)

Molly3_zpse0f5b5da.jpg