LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Spidey

The Rift Thread

While there are only 4 classes in Rift, Warrior, Mage, Cleric and Rouge, each class has 8 souls (9 if you buy the expansion ones) from which they can pick 3 for any one build. Different souls offer different play styles like healing, DPS, Tank, and support. Since you can mix and match you can have and DPS buld with a little tanking for extra survive ability.

Here is a site where you can play around with the souls and see what they do

http://www.rifthead.com/stc

At max level you get 76 points to spend

Update 2.5 should be out today, and while some of it will roll out in coming weeks, this is a huge update, free no less, which puts the so-called expansion in LOTRO to shame.

RiftGrate has a nice overview.

Summary:
◾1,070 New Achievement Points.
◾“Return to Deepstrike” Level 60 Dungeon.
◾Planebreaker Bastion: Aftermath and Intrepid: GSB, RoS and HK chronicles.
◾Intrepid: Drowned Halls Tier 1 Level 60 Sliver.
◾New Planar Attunement (PA) – Tier 3 War PA + Attunements of Nature, Cinder and Storm.
◾Ember Isle Underwater Questline with underwater Rifts, new companion pets/etc.
◾New PvP Gear.
◾New Dimension: Infinity Gate + Dimension Items
◾Heaps of new Dungeon Artifact Sets and Dimension Item rewards
◾Unstable Artifacts.
◾Other stuff. (Cash Shop wishlists; Escalating Mounts; Notoriety update; Quest Limit Increase; New Target Marking Icons)
◾Datamined Dimension Keys, White Ki Rin Mount/etc by TehFrank

Really I think classes are overrated in many games. It is limiting in many ways. I realize it can be used to promote balance without homogeneity, and 4 basic classes seems a pretty good compromise. Some people may want to have a martial wizard who can cast magic flame on their personal crossbow pistol, while hiding in the shadows wearing chainmail. A good system would let someone try doing just that and yet present challenges in doing so.

A really good system would allow female toons to do that in fishnets and a chainmail bikini, with a skill to make bacon sammiches for everyone :D 

Really I think classes are overrated in many games. It is limiting in many ways. I realize it can be used to promote balance without homogeneity, and 4 basic classes seems a pretty good compromise. Some people may want to have a martial wizard who can cast magic flame on their personal crossbow pistol, while hiding in the shadows wearing chainmail. A good system would let someone try doing just that and yet present challenges in doing so.

A really good system would allow female toons to do that in fishnets and a chainmail bikini, with a skill to make bacon sammiches for everyone :D

What has not been mentioned is that soon the 4 Rift classes will have even more extensive roles available, such as a Mage (squishy light armour type) soon getting a tank spec, or a Warrior (heavy armour tank/shing-shing type) being able to heal.  It will be interesting to say the least.

And I do wear fishnets and a chainmail bikini, but you can go get your own fucking sammich. :7

The cool thing is about Rift, much like in LOTRO, you need not be stuck in a chainmail bikini if you don't want to be. They have a nice wardrobe-like system, although not as robust as LOTRO has, which allows you to appear as wearing as much (or as little) clothing as you like. I rarely evenknow what my actual gear looks like, because as soon as I find an outfit I like to wear as a costume set, I stick with that and never actually see what my real gear looks like, other than on my Character page.

The cool thing is about Rift, much like in LOTRO, you need not be stuck in a chainmail bikini if you don't want to be. They have a nice wardrobe-like system, although not as robust as LOTRO has, which allows you to appear as wearing as much (or as little) clothing as you like. I rarely evenknow what my actual gear looks like, because as soon as I find an outfit I like to wear as a costume set, I stick with that and never actually see what my real gear looks like, other than on my Character page.

This is very true, there's often the misperception that everyone in Rift is running around in a hammered-steel bikini, but you really do see a variety of wardrobe styles, sort of like a friendly Rainbow Gathering.  I prefer the wardrobe options, usually a tunic and boots, as the actual gear is so massive and way over the top for me (it looks good, just not what my character would run around wearing).  I do miss LOTRO's system of letting you not only try on the outfit in the Wardrobe, but see how a given dye will impact the outfit.  Rift's current system of dye testing is so unwieldy and effectively requires you to purchase at least one copy of the dye in order to test what it looks like.  Hopefully some room for improvements some day.

Even quest armor in Rift is better looking than LOTRO raid armor.

When are Warriors getting this healing spec? It's long over due. Mages already have a tank spec, it's the Harb/Chloro! ;)

Andro, once you get to the SL zones the real game begins.

I'm also not at cap yet (two characters to late 40's so far) and my experience is completely the opposite, pretty much everything on level except group content has been faceroll for me and group content with a group has been faceroll so far, i've been soloing major rifts a couple of levels higher than myself just to feel like i'm in danger.

I'm told by my friends that later dungeons and raids become less zergy and more tactical, so i'm hoping it will be better for me.

(ranger spec'd using boar seems to = faceroll everything on level, rain of arrows ftw)

Hehe.  I guess by faceroll I mean the kind of kill-by-autoattack-idiocy that has become Lotro.  My Pyromaniac mage has still not died yet so I guess that could be considered faceroll, but there are definitely areas where if I was not watching out what the hell I was doing she would have been toast pretty quickly.

I have a dwarf female ranger (my one charcter that looks wise reminds me of my hobbits instead 'cause she is so little and cute, hehe) but I have not played her much yet as I got focused on my mage.

I am looking forward to getting into higher levels as well to see the "real action" of the raid level Rifts at end game.

I am on Laethys by the way...

where is everyone else?  I still have no kin and not sure I am ready for drama of one but you guys... could be fun ;)

I'm Asharak on Zaviel, just joined a fun guild called Sarcasm and Cookies. Pretty pleased so far i checkked the rift mobile app at 6am this morning (addicted to the hourly free scratch cards for loot!) and there was 11 guild members on at that silly early time, not like lotro lately where you're lucky to see anybody on your friends list for weeks at a time.

If you see Scormus running around doing absolutely horrible DPS, send me a Tell. I'd like to add you to my Friend's List.

Will do, I'm on either Narcosis or Narcotik.

When are Warriors getting this healing spec? It's long over due. Mages already have a tank spec, it's the Harb/Chloro! ;)

The talked about this in one of the twitch live streams as something that will come in update 3.0, but they didnt say when this will happen. They also talked about going to the water plane and had some concept art.

For a link with some more info and the pictures

http://rift.junkiesnation.com/2013/06/24/rift-30-will-take-us-to-the-plane-of-water/

Even quest armor in Rift is better looking than LOTRO raid armor.

Andro, once you get to the SL zones the real game begins.

Haha. I do love Harb/Chloro. Also love going 61 harb, knocking myself down to level 15 and pretending that I'm helping newbs do zone events rather than showing off.. Tanking mages seems a bit odd, but I know the guild I'm in would benefit from that. Everyone's a darned mage or rogue at level cap, and getting the rogues to tank is an exercise in futility.

I prefer Harb/Pyro, but more than 2 mobs I'm screwed. Chloro/Harb is nice when you have to take down elites, and I just hit 60, so yea me!

My Rogue is a bit tanky. Rift Stalker/Assassin/Blade Dancer (no points) I've always been partial to a DPS/survivability balance.

I prefer Harb/Pyro, but more than 2 mobs I'm screwed. Chloro/Harb is nice when you have to take down elites, and I just hit 60, so yea me!

My Rogue is a bit tanky. Rift Stalker/Assassin/Blade Dancer (no points) I've always been partial to a DPS/survivability balance.

I do that with my Cleric, actually. Shaman-52/Justicar-24/Defiler-0, makes for a very survivable build. Low on the DPS (7000 average, 9000 average with crits), but literally never needs to stop for drinks/food. I can take on anything and survive, it's a great solo build. I do other stuff for groups obviously, as I wouldn't need the 24 points in Justicar, and can thus ramp up the DPS a lot more, but that is my standard play build.

I'm playing with another solo build that is almost as survivable, but uses Druid instead of Justicar (can't remember how I spent the points, though, off-hand). Better DPS (9000 average, 12-18 thousand on crits), but usually takes less than 1/4 of my life in a fight. Occasionally needs to stop to heal, but only here or there.

Yeah, it's like what I was saying about needing to be careful what I pulled earlier - some builds have lovely dps, but they don't half blow up quick either. 61 harb is nice for big pulls, hit ascension, spam some skills, job done. Necro builds are pretty fun and you can do some obscene stuff with a pet and some decent dots on tough solo mobs (some zone event bosses are soloable at level cap doing that, well, I've done two that way with pet tanking).

Not tried rogue yet. Run my cleric in a tank role (justicar obviously) every once in a while, but I have to confess it's a little boring at the level I'm at (40) when it's just really spamming a couple of skills for most of a dungeon. Haven't that long ago bought the SL souls, so tempted to try and build something around the cleric soul from that. I did try an inquisitor build but was terrible at it so should really try something similar to yours MMO troll, not tried a shaman build yet.

Hehe.  That is how I feel about my Cleric.

On my Mage I am currently working a Pyro/Harb/Warlock build and I have to say I find my AoE one of the best things about the latest skills I have ( She is at lvl 38) so I enjoy pulling lots of mobs and mowing them down.  As I mentioned earlier, she has not yet died and even on multiple mob pulls through funky spots in Scarwood Reach I found it easy to survive as the dps is just insane so far, that's why I call her a "pyromaniac" lol.  Stuff just dies super fast even if they hit me hard.  The only time I have run into trouble was during a few Rifts there where I stupidly drew aggro and just had way too many mobs at me at once, but having the Life Leach skills from Warlock combined with Burning Shield seems to make any need for self heals fairly unnecessary so far, but maybe that will change at higher levels. 

Using the macros for some of the AoE skills that are ground cast helped me out a lot, and getting down the timing of casting Internalize Charge for Cinder Burst for example when there is a proc from Heat Wave is still something I do manually since I don't like to leave the toggle up on a macro - it was a bit buggy for some reason when I tried it so manual seems to work best.  I am looking forward to acquiring the higher end skills now opening up to me, and most especially getting the Aegis skill later for the proc.

Yeah, it's like what I was saying about needing to be careful what I pulled earlier - some builds have lovely dps, but they don't half blow up quick either. 61 harb is nice for big pulls, hit ascension, spam some skills, job done. Necro builds are pretty fun and you can do some obscene stuff with a pet and some decent dots on tough solo mobs (some zone event bosses are soloable at level cap doing that, well, I've done two that way with pet tanking).

Not tried rogue yet. Run my cleric in a tank role (justicar obviously) every once in a while, but I have to confess it's a little boring at the level I'm at (40) when it's just really spamming a couple of skills for most of a dungeon. Haven't that long ago bought the SL souls, so tempted to try and build something around the cleric soul from that. I did try an inquisitor build but was terrible at it so should really try something similar to yours MMO troll, not tried a shaman build yet.

Shaman is where it is at for Cleric Melee DPS.

I tried this out finally, many thanks to those who steered me into this instead of re-installing Tera for another go.

Things I found very refreshing:

- graphics are clean and crisp and without any apparent glitches. Artwork quality is just fine, the world looks big and foreboding.

- no lag

- patches are in the background to a degree. I honestly think they understand that the term "hotfix" means that the servers don't go down.

- character building seems to be genuinely geared to allow a person to try just about anything with some degree of success.

- The store seems a very good balance. But I also think GW2 has a good store balance. Both appear to have an exchange rate of sorts that allows the choice of in-game currency or cash.

- Hooks right to steam, you don't need an account and password and email to play. Just install and go. Funcom are you listening?

Things that make me hesitate (I think these things will work themselves out over time)

- it appears to me that this is partially designed for the standard point and click crowd, aka runescape, lotro, wow, whatever. That disappoints me, however I have not gone very far in levels on trial toons, so I think what might be intended is that one chooses the dozen or fewer skills they want and forgets the rest, especially with some of the similarities I see in the skills. If not there is no way I am going to assign keys to a gazillion skills and use key combos and macros just to accomplish the same thing. I might be tempted to set up my fragpedals to control my keyboard through macros, and if my suspicions are correct I think I might find a happy medium.

- Very steep learning curve on how to accomplish things. Like selling stuff; that took a little playing around, which I was not in the mood for. I don't consider a fan based board or wiki should be necessary, and so far I'm getting by fine.

- Very much on rails, but I'm going to assume that is just the lower levels, which are generally designed to serve as a tutorial.

Things that make me roll my eyes and consider un-installing

- absolutely nothing. Depending on how it all falls together in later game, I may drift away, but the potential is there and the developers deserve a good golf clap and an ice cold fancy French beer.

I too find my rogue marksman/ranger hybrid is a bit op, i dont have much trouble with large rifts and what not, however swap my build to my full marksman one and its a different story, swap again to my saboteur build and I am just as squishy only I get to blow crap up:)

That said, I was having major trouble early on with my razorbeast tanking until I went a looking on the wikis and forums and realised I needed a greater razorbeast come high 30s doh! That was when I really started to play with the trees and realised just how powerful and flexible they were, all of a sudden I have 6 characters on 3 servers all unique and different and now I struggle deciding which one to go on.